“sol cayo guillermo” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Cayo Guillermo
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“sol cayo guillermo”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

sol cayo guillermo what a place absolutely quality holiday, defiantly worth going you wont be disappointed! the entertainers (fermin) and bar staff are top people make it a good holiday, and the dancers there fantasic!! (chiki nalia) The only thing that was amazing is the quality of my room and i thought the food could be abit better.

But all in all amazing! Already booking up to come back in september cant wait!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank josh m
Luis Alberto H, General Manager at Sol Cayo Guillermo, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear customer,
Thank you for your visit and your great feedback, we will keep working hard.
I will comment your words animation members.
Hope you can come back soon.
Best regards from Cuba.
Luis.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (747)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

Firstly may I say the improvements made at the hotel are about right and the hotel will reap the rewards. Staff are there usual selves happy to see you and try there hardest to make an enjoyable holiday. Yes some items could do with replacing and I'm sure the management team no this but things happen slowly in Cuba. Lobby bar a great addition, always stocked up and glasses available, hard to cool down due to the nature of where it is and with it being so open but better to be warm than cold in my view. Rooms are basic but adequate for an holiday and to be fair why spend time inside the room, bar to sleep and change ? The biggest asset to any holiday resort as always is the staff, some new great additions we met, and lots of old staff still around. Sadly Nelson was released and in all honesty personally it felt like an old friend had been lost, would be nice to think the hotel will miss him and even though without a doubt they have there reasons I for one hope the management may seem fit to punish his misdemeanour without taking him out of the hotel as I'm sure many regulars will miss him.
The beach I would say would disappoint not a soul in the world.
The al a carte restaurants give a top example of the food the hotel provides and served in a varied and interesting way, the main buffet with the cooking stations always busy, I suffer with heartburn regularly but everything I ate gave me no problems, choices are there but I tend to stick to basics so can not really comment on everything being hot or cold ?
The Cubanito is as usual a favourite haunt of mine and many regulars and although disappointed to miss Carlos for the second week still plenty of fun to be had.
Final Thoughts

A few more glasses would come in handy for sure, plastic ain't terrific so good idea to take your own drinking vessel, a influx of new plates and so forth would be nice but I understand that might not be possible. Keep up with the improvements and I'm sure the people coming will enjoy what SCG can offer. Congratulation Louis on the management of the hotel slowly but surely the hotel is making good progress in its endeavour to provide an enjoyable safe environment to make a great holiday resort into a fantastic holiday resort. See you in September !!!!!!!!!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank PhilandJinny
Dear customer,

On behalf of all our staff at Sol Cayo Guillermo we appreciate your extensive and honest comment, we will continue working to make improvements even though we had some external problems already solved.
I fully agree that the biggest asset have this hotel is its staff, always a smile, always a kind word, always thinking about customer satisfaction.
Thank you for your words about my work, I spend many hours to this hotel and its customers to exceed all your expectations, sometimes certain things are out of my reach.
We want to thank you and your family for choosing our hotel for your vacations. It is a pleasure for us to know that you enjoyed so much of what we have to offer and we hope that after visiting other destinations you can return to our hotel.
Best regards,
Beccles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

We have just come back from 14 nights in Cuba, booked through Thomas Cook. For the first 7 days we toured the island, a party of 10 + 1 guide -Aisel, A great time was had by all of us and the places we visited, saw and stayed at were great.
After an early morning flight from Habana we caught a transfer coach to our hotel. It really is amazing as to how few vehicles there are in Cuba!

My wife "lost" her watch and thus having talked to Aviva, this afternoon I have put the caveat in this header: 30/4/13
Going on holiday = Check, check and double check your home and travel insurances!! Why?
Just returned from a great holiday in Cuba - during which a ladies wristwatch went missing from the room safe. AVIVA - the underwriters to the Barclays travel insurance policy stated that as there was no forcible entry to the safe then a claim cannot be made! Ergo, any member of a hotel's staff with access to a key card an access your room, remove your cases / possessions, close the door - and YOU ARE NOT COVERED! AVIVA confirmed this!
In that case, exit the room, kick the door down and then you can claim! By the same token unless there is a key, rather than a keycard, then don't bother, anyone can programme the card and gain access to your safe from the hotel's reception. Kicking in the door is the only way you can make a claim - REMEMBER THAT.

Was kept clean, the food was plentiful - a good selection for my wife who is a carnivore - albeit in the main buffet sometimes coolish rather than hot. However the quality was very good. We never saw the entertainment in the evening - from 21:30 hours - as we went to bed early! All of the Cubans and staff at this hotel were thoroughly helpful and courteous. Personally, I don't recommend 14 nights in a one center holiday, anywhere. So if I could tour around but see somethings that we missed then I would return to Cuba.

Oh, by the way, the beach and the sea at Sol Cayo were the best I've ever seen.

Room Tip: Get a balcony - facing the sea. Preferably away from the main hotel rooms numbered 800+. We were in...
3 Thank SGTE50
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for your comments, we sincerely consider them very useful for our job. We have found a lot of opportunities for improvements. Every client´s comments is very important for us and that is why we thank you once again. It is nice to know that you had an overall lovely relaxing holiday and that you will return. Hope to meet you here next time.
True the beach is spectacular, one of the best in the Caribbean and the best of Cayo.
Castleford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

Let me first say we had good holiday because we had some and met some great people,
But we are talking about the hotel,
Beach is great sunbeds on beach well worn
Pool beach towels few days not available,
Hot tub by pool broken, childrens pool near bungalow empty full of rubbish,
not enough sun beds buy pool people reserving beds and not using them till late afternoon when they came up from beach,
Bars, evening lobby bar well run glasses good drinks and service, shame lobby was so hot no air con,
Main bar, very poor service staff really not bothered at all, plastic cups all time unless tipped then you got a glass always running out of drinks these people have done this a lot of years you would think they could get there act together, they honestly think they are doing you a favour serving you, fastest they move is at end of day counting there tips to share,
wine hit and miss
Food, main buffet had two good meal in a fortnight steak night and lobster prawn night
pasta etc cooked as you wait, the buffet a lot of time just warm and poor food,
breakfast strange but eatable, never any table cloths unless a top man is visiting??? tables tables old very scruffy marked chipped but they are wiped down with a mucky damp cloth no cleaning fluid? plates are chipped a lot are dirty with old food stuck to them as were soup bowl's
chipped with handles broken off, coffee and cold drinks ( always warm) have never been cleaned are dirty, table not cleared or made up, staff are useless but quite nice,
alacarte are ok food ok always half full but always told they are full when try to book, (strange),
Never got the wine you want ask for white they have red,
Rooms, we had a upgrade it was basic but ok, very good view, took the cleaner all of five minutes to make bed clean bathroom wipe round and clean floor with her mucky mop no cleaning fluid, grounds very nice entertainment average,
Warning sand flies mozzies everybody bitten to death very bad and i mean serious bites itchy bleeding so be warned, fantastic area beaches rubbish hotel,
p.s been to this hotel six times got worse not going back, not going back for the money can get a good hotel

1 Thank John B
Luis Alberto H, General Manager at Sol Cayo Guillermo, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking part of your time sharing, on the tripadvisor, your opinions about your stay at Sol Cayo Guillermo.

We regret we did not fulfill your expectations, we sincerely apologise for this.

All your remarks are appreciated by us, they will be thoroughly analysed, because they help us to improve our daily work with the actions we take to solve the difficulties and avoid similar remarks.

We apologise for what you expressed on your review, accept that we have had in the past problems with external laundry and some problems with suppliers throughout the region of Cayo Coco and Cayo Guillermo.

We kindly ask you to give us another opportunity so you can forget this bad experience.
I send you my email address if you wish to return I am willing to offer a personalized service to have a great vacation.

director,general.scg@meliacuba.com

Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

Just returned and although it was not perfect we are already looking at when we can go back.

The beach is amazing as are the staff. Food was great. We could not understand how people could say they were hungry. We loved the sea food station and could not believe how generous the portions were. Drinks were very strong and staff generous with measures. We had a few hangovers to prove it!

We were not happy with our room as we booked a room with Thomas Cook that said two double beds but the beds were two big singles. I spoke to reception and they said I had to pay £140 to have a double bed as they are the ones with sea views. Not exactly romantic! I will be contacting Thomas Cook to complain. We spent a lot of money and do not expect to have to be squashed in bed with my husband or to sleep in different beds.

I did get sick a few times and had to miss dinner and stay in the room a couple of nights and one afternoon. I spend the plane journey home being sick but the staff and beach make up for this and the other bad points. Air hostess on the way home said cuba is renowned for it so it was not surprising.

I did not like the amount of plastic cups going in the bin as I feel this is bad for the environment so I urge you to take your own cups as not only will this save you keep going up to the bar but is better for the environment. Other All Inc we have been on have had reusable plastic glasses for around the pool etc. I think the hotel could improve on this.

Grounds are scruffy although the gardeners were always working hard and I miss my daily flowers for my hair. Maids were great and room was always lovely for us. Not five star rooms but you get what you pay for. Great for us as do not have high expectations.

Staff did not expect tips and even when we told them we did not have a peso left they were lovely and filling up our glasses without asking. Staff make the hotel!

Flight home was cancelled and although we were put up in lovely five star without the niggles that the Sol has we all wanted to go back to the Sol for one more night.

If you want to be waited on without queuing for dinner and stay in an immaculate hotel this is not for you but if you want an amazing beach lots of drinks, nice food served by nice people book it!

Room Tip: Top floor rooms as view and king size bed
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Lovetohols
Luis Alberto H, General Manager at Sol Cayo Guillermo, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear customer,
Thank you for your visit and your positive review.
It was a pleasure to attend you during your stay.
I agree with you our staff is the main reason we have many repeaters every year.
We hope you will be one of them soon.
Best regards from Cuba.
Nova Scotia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

We stayed at the Sol April 19th - 26th. We were given room 1210 . Upstairs room with balcony, king sized bed and partial oceanveiw. Could not have asked for better if we tried. It was a bit of a walk from lobby , buffet , bars and pool, but bit is the key word as nothing is a far away on this resort. We have found in past trips that smaller resorts are more fun and this resort fits the mould
The maid did a good job and made the usual towel art.

Most days we spent on the beautiful beach. The beach is one of the best we have been to. The only improvement they could use here is maybe some more loungers and it would be perfect.
We did spend one day at the pool. Water was warm , lots of loungers, but we are beach people.

We ate breakfast daily at the buffet. We were served there every morning by Miry, who is a sweetheart. They have the usual egg station a french toast and pancake station and the usual fair. Only disappointment here was no bacon , but we survived.
Lunch was usually at the restaurant on the beach. Stir frys, yummy pizzas , pork , chicken and the best fries on resort. The service here was great as well, but can't remember their names.
There is also a bar in this retaurant . There is a churro shack and barbecue hut which serves burgers ,chicken, and ribs beside it. On the other side there is a guy who cooks ham over a pit
and makes sandwiches...very good. Beside him is another beach bar. There is no shortage of food or drink near the beach.

We ate dinner most nights at the buffet. Again service couldn't be beat. They had a meat frying station with pork , chicken , etc. ...very good. a fry station for shrimp and assorted seafood. Plus a carving station with pork or usually a roast of some kind. They also had the mystery foods , veggies, fries, etc. there were the assorted desserts and of course the banana or pineapple flambe. No problem finding anything to eat :)
We also tried both a la cartes and enjoyed them both.

Most night we started at the new lobby bar , where Carlos and Yamila served us up some great drinks. We then moved over to the main bar area and took in the show. I have seen better entertainment, but have seen worse. They are a young group with talent and the will to please. We enjoyed the seventy , eighties night the best.Checked out the disco that night as well and it is a nice set up ,a bit of ways from most rooms so as not to bother guests trying to sleep.

There was a mix of guests from the UK. , some Spanish , and Canadians. we all got along nicely. I traveled with my wife and another couple of our traveling buddies. We didn't do any excursions as we did most of the ones in the cayos area on past visits. We did the open top bus
one day and visited some other resorts. totally worth the 5 pesos.

The service and staff at this resort are 5 star in my book, even if the resort itself is aging a bit.
As a rule we do not repeat as there are so many resorts out there. Our group however, all said we would return. I don't know why the recent reveiws were so bad , but glad we went in spite of them.

Would like to say hi to our new friends .....The New Brunwick Ladies and the Middleton Couple

Room Tip: Upper floors have better veiws and nicer beds.
2 Thank handymanNovaScotia
Jose Antonio R, Director of Sales at Sol Cayo Guillermo, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Dear Customer

First of all, thank you very much for taking part of your time to write your comments on tripadvisor, we really appreciate it! we love enjoy having feedback from our clients, We hope to see you soon to Welcome you in our hotel,

Have a Lovely Day!

Best Regards / Nelido Casay / Sales Manager
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

Visited SCG April 12 to 19th.. beautiful weather, no bugs, no bites. 10th visit to this resort
just back from another amazing week .. Room 401 was wonderful, air conditioner and fridge worked very well... no noise, food was great Churros wonderful,drinks were great love the selection of liqueurs at the new lobby bar. Carlos made me chocolate monkeys and delicious frozen drinks..many friends were made and much fun was had ♥
The beach was amazing, the entertainment was stellar and all of the staff made us feel welcome and went out of their way to ensure we had everything we needed .

a BIG THANK YOU to Yamilla and Carlos in the lobby bar, Sandra and Lupe at Reception, Jonni, Lesy, Esther, Elizabeth at the main bar, wonderful entertainment team Eidel, Mary Alyce ? the choreographer.. doing an amazing job. Robert, Brandys , Yuri and Leo in the buffet , Juan Alberto and Alexys in A La Carte Julio, Erick, and all the wonderful dancers..

thank you for working so hard to look after your guests. :)

There were several improvements we noticed on this trip, the buffet was better and had some new choices ..we were happy before and now it is even better.

just remember it is Cuba, dont worry about small things. appreciate the amazing beach and location. Perfect for relaxing or finding fun when you want it.. Watch for Cuba day and the celebration at the Cubanito bar near the beach.
Loved the improved burgers and the churro hut right near the beach..
Miguel our beach drink server was AMAZING.. he was so friendly and cheerful he was new to the job and worked very very hard.
If you have any problems see the reception staff and they will help you.. always.

The only hiccup was running out of white wine.. but with so many other things to choose from it was not a serious problem for me.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

#7 of 8 in Oyster Pond
Royal Palms
Royal Palms
#1 of 3 in South Hill

Been to Sol Cayo Guillermo? Share your experiences!