“Best Trip Yet.”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Cayo Guillermo
Ontario
“Best Trip Yet.”
Reviewed January 2, 2010

So me and my friend left from Toronto to go to Iberostar and the week was amazing. The first thing I'd recommend to anyone going to Cayo Guillermo is general is go to Pilar Beach. They can phone a taxi for you at the resort and go down for a couple hours, The taxi guy will ask you when you want to be picked up again and will come back for you and its only $10 for there and back. It is one of the nicest beaches you'll ever see. We met so many nice British, Italian, Polish, and Canadian people. By the end of the week it was over 30 of us partying every night. Everything was fantastic about this resort. The ocean was so nice and the water so warm, the pool was amazing and the pool bar gives you fast service unlike the last resort I went to in Dominican. The mopeds were also very fun which you can rent for $20 for 2 hours or $25 for 3 and $40 for the entire day which is a very fair price. Cayo Guillermo is in the middle of no where but we liked it cause it helped us be bale to just relax and not think about anything. If there was anything that didn't appeal so much it was that I wish there would have been a night club on the resort. Me and my friend our in our early 20's and we wanted to be able to dance and party. Luckily we met all those awesome people and we made our own party every night but if we didn't meet them it woulda been boring every night aha. So if your there to party and dance than make sure you meet people. There's also a cave party excursion you can do which I highly recommend. It happens every tuesday night and a bus picks you up at the resort at about 9:30pm and goes to all the resorts around the area and drops everyone off to the club and picks you up again at 2am. Anyways that was about $23 but all your booze is included, the ride, the music is updated and the DJ was amazing, and of course your partying in a natural cave. The rooms were great and so was our maid, we left her gifts everyday like shampoo and hair products. IF there is anything that wasn't top notch it was the food. The food was pretty good and there was always good selection but it wasn't amazing or anything. At the same time though your in a third world country so you shouldnt expect amazing dining. Last but not least its an amazing resort and is perfect to relax and bask in the sun. Hope you go and have a fun time like we did. I'll be back to Cayo Guillermo but might try the Tryp Cayo Coco just because its more of a party place and I'm young.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank danguy07

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (544)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Montreal
Reviewed January 1, 2010

Just returned from a one week stay at this hotel and here are things as I experienced them:
Got to our room but were unable to enter due to a fault with the lock; the problem was taken care of within 15 minutes! Very impressive!.

Location: There are approximately 7-8 hotels on this archipelago. It's private and isolated. This hotel has class, is quiet and friendly with a super staff. If you're looking for lots of drinking, partying and nightlife go to Veradero.

Rooms: The rooms are large, clean and functional. We did miss having hot water for one hour on two occasions, but no big deal. The hotel was filled to capacity.Try to shower before 6 pm.

Food: The food is basic so don't expect gourmet dining. The breakfast buffet is great, lunch at the beach is hamburgers, salads, pizza and desserts. Dinner at the buffet is good with a lot of variety. There are 3 a la carte restaurants: Mexican, Cuban and Italian. ---It's nice not to be at a buffet all the time, but the food remains just basic. Note that a GREAT EFFORT is made in all restaurants. My favorite was the Cuban.

Staff: Here is where this hotel excels; I have traveled all around the world and have never met such friendly, helpful and attentive staff. They will bend over backwards to make you happy,from the reception, bar staff, beach staff to the chamber maids.

Activities: There is a live show every night at 9:30. DO NOT MISS IT!! The performers are extremely talented and there is something for everyone. The best Michael Jackson impersonator I have ever seen. Disco afterward until 1am. The hotel (or your tour office) also offers many excursions and they are very well organized. ---- We never had a problem using any of the water craft even with the hotel being full. --- Our Jeep safari was super and we saw a small part of the real Cuba. Lino, our tour guide is a real character.

Beach: The beach is super, but it depends on high or low tide; there is always a part of the day when the tide is in, resulting is less beach. This really doesn't matter because the water so shallow that you can literally walk 300 feet and still have water only up to your chest. Tiny or NO waves, so it's safe for kids and great for kayaking, pedalo and sailing.
Ps. Do the side trip to Pillar beach (6km by "train"); it's worth it.

I can highly recommend this hotel to anyone who just wants to get away for a week (or two) with a partner or family.
We will be back!

4 Thank wolf55
Cambridge
Reviewed January 1, 2010

My husband and I with our grandson just returned from our 2nd time at iberostar Daiquiri. First visit was good as we attended our friends wedding and the second time was fantastic. Our grandson has been there twice and absolutely loves the LUCY'S CLUB the girls absolutely love the kids. Everything about this resort and staff is great. The staff are so friendly and helpful, the food is superb and the beach is fantastic. This resort is excellent for families and kids. We also have met wonderful people at the resort (Marie and Ruben) who are one of the hotels management they are wonderful and caring people who do a very good job. If you are planning a wedding at Iberostar contact Junior who does a very good job as wedding coordinator as he did our friends wedding in September. I cant wait to go back and we highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Haverfordwest, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 30, 2009

We stayed at the Iberostar Daiquiri between 08 December and 22 December 09,having read some of the reviews prior to our departure, I was rather concerned about what we were destined for, we need not have worried, the resort was very good.

This was our fifth trip to Cuba, both A/I and B&B in Havana, this resort , though smaller than others we had stayed at was very friendly and relaxed, the staff helpful and the food the best we have had at a Cuban A/I resort.

The beach is rather narrow, but you can walk a long way in both directions along the beach from the hotel, the sea is clear , warm and shallow for a good distance out from the shoreline, the beach is cleared of washed up sea weed & sea grass every morning.

On the down side the rooms do look rather dated, particularly the bathrooms, though they were kept very clean, the taps, showers etc are showing signs of wear and tear.There is cable TV with movie channels, but the only English language news channel was CNN, in the CNN world nothing happens outside the borders of the USA..................if I see one more report on the Medic Aid ammendment bill I'm going to scream. The entertainment was dire, the usual high volume as a substitute for quality.

If you want a good value, relaxing , beach centered holiday, this is the place for you, if you like fishing , bring a rod, fishing off the beach, nearby pier and the road bridge is good. The resort is not perfect, but it's much better than the doom & gloom merchants would have you beleive.

montreal,qc
Reviewed December 30, 2009

Three girlfriends and I stayed at the Daiquiri in November fro a "girls week away". We've stayed there twice before and found things and people had not changed since our last visit 2 years ago. A big thank you to Evelyn,Lazaro, Edel, Bernardo,Ibeity, Damian,Danya and Lloyd. They all had a hand in making our vacation a happy one. It was nice to see old faces.

The food wasn't as good as I remembered, but you don't go to Cuba for the food.
The beach was as beautiful as last time, lots of long walks, great frolicking in the water.We had floaters ( the kind kids use) and had a blast playing around in the water daily.

The rooms were always clean and we found a bottle of Rum in our room on arrival. This was our 3rd stay at the hotel and this was a nice thank you on their part to returning guests. Nice touch.

The pool is fine but I go there for the beach. I can sit in chlorine anytime but I can't sit in the ocean that often. So I spent all my time at the beach.Lloyd took care of us at the beach. He made sure our glasses always had a cold drink in them.

The evening enterainment was always energetic. Well done and entertaining. No it isn't Vegas....but if you want Vegas that's another trip!!!!!!!!!

The only problem wehad was that one of our group was eaten alive by "no-see-ums". She was probably very susceptible to thier bites because she had a severe reaction to them requiring medical intervention. We wore DEET but it didn't seem to help her. My advice......stay out of the Lobby area, complain to the hotel management so that they can ensure that the Cuban Gouvernment resumes spraying of the islands to kill the bugs.Apparently, the hotels are now responsible for the aerial spraying of Cayo Coco and Cayo Guillermo.The Cuban gouvernment will no longer pay for this service. If it isn't taken care of soon tourists will stay away!!!!!!!!!!!

One last thing.....if a hotel employee approaches you to buy coffee, walk away. We were involved in a scheme by an employee to sell coffee and make some extra money for his family. The only problem............he first stole it from the hotel and then sold it to us. Perhaps we were naive, we thought he bought it in town to resell at the hotel. Apparently, that is not allowed in Cuba. He lost his job and is probably facing crimnial prosecution.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank livedingdr
Durham
Reviewed December 29, 2009

Where to start,
my trip started on the 13/12/09 and returned 27/12/09
I have been to Holguin in mainland Cuba back in 2007 so prepared myself knowing that the hotel and food would not be as great as the likes of Mexico etc, how wrong I was.
The hotel itself although a little dated in parts is kept very clean and tidy, the grounds and beach are lovingly tended by the many gardeners who are so cheerful you cant pass them by without a "Ola" being thrown your way, they will offer you coconuts to eat or drink as well as gifts ranging from hats they have woven from leaves to little woven fish, they expect nothing in return but its always nice to give them a few pesos for their trouble, please dont try and give them beer from your mini bar however as they have been told not to accept it by management and can be sacked if caught.
The reception,bar,waiting staff and cooks are all ultra friendly and approachable and cant do enough to make sure you are satisfied again tip them a few pesos here and there they remember you and will make your stay even more enjoyable. I saw some slovenly people with no manners from both Canada and the UK verbally abusing staff, think of it like this if you are rude to someone dont expect them to not be rude back to you, just because someone earns less than you does not make them any less a person.
The bar staff are always interested to chat with you and learn about where you are from, got the best mojito I have ever had in my life, other cocktails are good but ive had better. the bar closes at 1am so if you are a party animal its a bit rubbish just be prepared with a bottle of your own rum and coke which is cheap enough from the shop and ask the bar staff to leave a bucket of ice and some glasses before they start their two hour journey home.
The hotel is advertised as 24 hour bar and snacks, it is not restaurant closes at 10pm, bar closes at 1am.
My Girlfriend and I were waited on hand a foot by Becky in the main Buffet restaurant, dont think my wine glass was ever half empty. Becky even arranged a special table for my Girlfriends birthday with flowers and champagne, a Birthday cake with a candle and a visit from the band who are great, the young male singer (who should audition for X factor) is better than the lass who is talented but so loud she could shatter your glass, (if it was ever empty enough).
Becky really does deserve a special mention and recognition she obviously loves her job and should be commended and rewarded by the management for all her hard work and endeavours she certainly was with tips from us.

I had emailed ahead and asked for flowers and champagne in the room and specified a Sea view room, the flowers and the champagne were there but no Sea view, I politely asked at guest services who apologised and immediately give me the choice of 2 sea view rooms, we chose room number 3236 in Holguin block which was close to everywhere ,nicely decorated and well air conditioned, (sometimes too cold to be honest.) Our maid kept the room very well cleaned,sheets were replaced every other day, if you want them changing every day leave them on the floor with the towels. We saw the occassional mosquito but certainly no bedbugs in our room. The TV in the room was huge and has five or six channels (in english) which included feature films, news. sports VH1 . Bathroom was clean and although a little dated was fully functioning. Mini bar is rubbish 2 cans of beer 4 cans pop and a bottle of water every other day, pants...
Restaurant wise not much choice , Cuban,Mexican or main buffet but the choice of food was quite unbelievable in the main buffet, think I managed to sample most of what was on offer which changed daily. Breakfast was the same every day but how often do you get a cooked breakfast at home with fresh eggs/omlettes and all kinds of freshly squeezed juice as well as pastries,cereals,fruit, cheese and cooked meats, just got back and missing the coffee already.
Cuban restaurant was nice, the Lamb and tuna steak was out of this world and enjoyed feeding the cats that live around the resort. Mexican was so bad, service terrible arrived at 1955 for table at 2000 hrs and was told to come back in 5 even though there were only 3 other tables occupied. Ive never had bland beef and chicken chewing gum on a skewer before and the very next day I was pooing goo lovely.... never the less we didnt go hungry because the main buffet restaurant was still open next door.
Cubans do not celebrate christmas day, their celebration is on christmas eve, the spread they put on was fit for royalty, Sushi,Caviar,Lobster,Crab,Roast turkey,Beef wellington masses of different cheeses and different deserts, they even had Christmas pud and custard all washed down with some very paliatable champagne.
The pool is not big or deep enough to dive into you would either hit your head on the floor or the other side wall that was when it was not being used by the star friends for volley ball or aquarobics, all the while the extremely irritating MC espanol on the mike who plays venga boys style euro cheese far too loadly all day long.
The beach was a little dissapointing width wise but was always very clean and clear of weed we could always find a spot in the sun somewhere, you could even in parts drag a lounger onto one of the sand banks about 100 meters out which came close to heaven for me when a waiter waded over with his trousers rolled up and brought us drinks.
The sea is crystal clear and at times like a luke warm lake. If you have fishing rods take them with you, there are two wooden jettys that you can fish from, when you catch fish the chef at the beach bar will happily cook it for you. You must go to Pilar Beach costs 5 pesos per person based on a return in a taxi who will return whenever you want him to. Pilar beach is like nothing else I have ever seen, if you have ever been to formentera this is the only place I have been to that comes close.
We also went on the Spa day and Speedboat trip, Im not into all this massage malarkey but my Girlfriend loved it, I think I stil have a cheesey grin on my face from the speedboat trip, you get to drive it yourself and throw it about all over in a kind of convoy then stop to snorkel in a mangrove which is inhabited by these unusual looking beaver creatures as well as multitudes of fish simply a must do if you are there.
If you are looking for peace and quiet this hotel is probably not for you.
I was not bitten by mosquitos but was bitten twice by sand flies, if you are bitten rub on neat white rum and the redness just dissapears in minutes. If you pull your longernear the water they dont bother you, I was only bitten because I was walking in the dunes.
Thomas Cook or Thomas Crook as I now call them however ruined everything they had any control over, we upgraded to premium costing around £400 extra, neither of the TV's worked on the outbound flight, so we ordered a bottle of champagne which came luke warm, was at least comfortable with extra leg room and wider seats so just went to sleep. To add insult to injury the flight back was delayed 3 hours and was told on route to the airport that the plane did not have a premium cabin, in reality it was a tin can with wings with possibly the rudest staff I have ever met in my life. Although we paid to upgrade and drinks were included I found out we were still expected to Pay for drinks, I had ordered two G & T's, opened them had a sip and was then asked for £10.95, what for I enquired, not quite believing what I was hearing?? rather than cause a scene I gave the drinks back to be met with objection the exact words the stewart used , " you cant return the drinks, no one else will drink something "YOU" have already had a drink from" I am not a violent person but honestly I almost jumped up and beeeyatch slapped him.
So again had to endure 8 and a half hours in seats meant for folk travelling from the shire to Helms deep. luckily I had a book to read or I would have gone stir crazy so stood in the aisle and had selective deafness when any staff wanted to get past me, got so many tut's thought I was king.
I am now in so much discomfort with my back and neck that I have had to book an appointment with my chiropractor.
Thank you Thomas Crook for ripping me off, costing me money and ruining what should have been a fantastic holiday.
Hello to Paul and Gail, hope you got back home OK sorry I didnt say goodbye at the airport. also Steve if you are reading this it did stick in Stoupa in Greece, might see you there one time you never know, all the best and Happy new year.

3 Thank Sheltiehairdoo
Toronto
Reviewed December 28, 2009

TRIP: December 13th- December 20.

When we first got to this hotel, the first thing we've noticed was the washroom leaked. Each time you flush, the toilet leaked what was in the washroom. After the second person used it, half the washroom was flooded. We called the reception and they automatically acknowledged the issue, knowing the issue. Instead of a fix, a maid came and mopped it. The A/C did not work and when we called the reception, they sent out a tech that pulled the boards from the ceiling, which were leaking. He assured us he'll be back in 10 mins. We called the reception after an hour asking where the tech is and they told us that we needed to wait half and hour and if it is a continuing issue, to call again. We explained that we were told he would return. However, the man at the night reception was very unhelpful (very different than the nice ladies at check-in). Also, the bath tub was full of black dirty markings and some peach paint. Eventually, after midnight, we were offered another room. At the next room, the washroom was cleaner, but the green calcium and mold build up around the shower head and on top of the sink fosset was still there. There was a drain by the toilet where tiny bugs were crawling out. The A/C still did not work. We called the reception and were told it would work in an hour. They offered us to switch another room and we than found out the A/C was not working in 3 buildings due to a water cooling issue. The rooms were not very clean. I felt very uneasy staying there as I did not feel comfortable being surrounded by bacteria and bugs the entire trip. The maid was very nice and mopped the floors. She tidied the room, but didn`t clean it as the shower walls were filled with dirt. How can you use a shower that has water running through the dirty build up! The food was not the best, but that is the least of my complaint. I did NOT feel comfortable eating at La Marina with black cats starring at me and them wandering to peoples` feet and sitting by their tables. The staff knew I was not comfortable. When we left the restaurant, my friends looked over the railing inside the restaurant and said there were more black cats than the two we saw. I find this very disgusting. The cats looked strayed and unclean and if we had multiple bits, I`m sure the cats had them as well. The entire trip was filled with bugs everywhere, especially at night. When I returned, I`ve noticed that around Christmas, I was getting more tiny small red dots. I was only getting these at night and I have consulted with friends and also looked online for reviews to find that I`ve noticed others have this issue as well. However, when I returned, I made sure that my luggage was left in the garage to be disinfected. Now, I`ve disinfected everything and unsure of how I am getting bites at night. I am unsure to confirm they are bed bugs, but I`m not the first to experience this. Also, I have family who have called my room and they were through 2 calling cards being disconnected at reception constantly. They have even called straight without calling cards having this issue as well. Since cell phones are expensive, I`ve mentioned this to the reception and they have declined to have this issue. One night, I`ve had someone try over 5 times and still being disconnected. Furthermore, if it rains at night, be prepared for many tiny sand flies. If you want to tan, pull your lawn chair into the shallow water to avoid bites, or you`ll notice them sticking on your sunscreen and dying especially on your legs. There wasn`t much of a beach to this sun destination, only about 15 feet of sand and lots of seaweed. On a better note, the entertainment staff and restaurant staff were extremely nice and friendly. They made the trip better. Also, our rep from Signature was awesome. The service was great, which made up for this trip, but it`s definitely not a 4 star resort.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Memories Flamenco Beach Resort
Melia Cayo Coco
Melia Cayo Coco
#1 of 12 in Cayo Coco

Been to IBEROSTAR Daiquiri? Share your experiences!