“Lovely Resort In Cayo Guillermo” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of IBEROSTAR Daiquiri

IBEROSTAR Daiquiri
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Cayo Guillermo
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
“Lovely Resort In Cayo Guillermo”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the Daiquiri last week. The weather was fabulous for the first 5 days (28-30) but got a bit cool for the last 2 days (21). The beach is one of the best in Cuba and the grounds of the resort are lovely. The rooms are what you would expect for Cuba but we wished the pillows were better. Service from the staff was the best of all the resorts we have been to so far. Everyone went out of their way to be helpful.

The only downside was that for a couple of the days the sand fleas were a problem during the full moon for my husband. He got quite a few bites and he was allergic. I got a few bites but they did not bother me much. I used Off which seemed to do the trick. Apparently, about 25%of all people are allergic to sand fleas and the rest are not. Read up on this before you go so you can take preventative measures.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank NancyCharlie
DirectorDaiquiri, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Daiquiri, responded to this review, January 26, 2014
Dear NancyCharlie,

In the name of the staff of Iberostar Daiquri, I would like to thank you for the time you invested in writing your review. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your vacation, our hotel and our services.

We hope you choose again our resort for your forthcoming vacation.
Kind regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Corby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

my husband and I stayed at the Iberostar Daiquiri in April 2013 as part of a family birthday celebration. on arrival at the Hotel we were greeted with a drink and a very speedy check in.
we were given a room in the main building but unfortunately there was a problem with air con which was quickly dealt with and we were moved to a different room other side of hotel , this room was lovely although not much of a view, well laid out and extremely clean. the maid service was excellent with lots of Towel art which was much appreciated. The rooms were a bit outdated but we understood the hotel was being refurbished .
From day 1 we experienced great service and very friendly staff , the entertainment staff went out of their way to make sure we had a good time without being to pushy, the in house bands were great and very interactive, the bar staff were always ready with a drink and a smile. Fidel couldn't of been more attentive.
we had no complaints about the food as there was always plenty to choose from and always well cooked. Thanks to Walter for my green pepper omelette which I had most mornings
The grounds of the hotel are extremely well kept and the gardeners friendly, Thank you for my Hat and Grasshopper.

The beach was lovely and just a stones throw away from the hotel, it wasn't very wide in the morning but when the tide went out it was spectacular and very clean, it had a nice sea breeze/wind to keep the temperature down .

TRIPS
we went on a few trips as it was our first time in Cuba we wanted to experience as much as we could.
The integrated speed boat through the Mangroves, snorkelling and 4x4 trip to Moron was a long day but worth it, it also included a trip to a crocodile farm and the scenery was fantastic.

Trinidad was also a long day but worth the trip just to be able to soak up the atmosphere, the culture and the people it was an experience not to be missed .

We went on a catamaran which was a half day trip stopping off for snorkelling which the males in our party took advantage of while us females enjoyed the constant flow of alcohol and sunbathing .

we opted to go out on our own for the dolphin swim as there is a facility just around the corner from the hotel near the marina. we went to check it out first and then booked for the following day , we were picked up by bus and taken to where we could swim and interact with the dolphins this was especially good as there was only the 5 of us and not the usual coach load and worked out a lot cheaper too. would highly recommend doing it this way as much more personal .

The males in our Party booked a mornings sea fishing and had a great time with lots of tales of the ones that got away and slightly inebriated . while they did this us females decide to have a manicure and a massage .well worth a visit ladies.

we decided to book the VIP lounge for the return journey and was glad we did as it was airy and had comfy seats and the option for snacks and drinks instead of the usual packed airport facilities .

we enjoyed our holiday so much that my husband and I have decided to book again and am looking forward to our holiday in March/april although hopefully we will get a room with a view this time.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank debmar1963
DirectorDaiquiri, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Daiquiri, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear Debmart1963,
On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the manager we would like to thank you for choosing the Iberostar Daiquiri Hotel, for your recent holiday in Cuba. Is a pleasure to here you find it were a great service and very friendly staff.
We will congratulate all the staff that they have contributed to making you feel like stars

Stayner
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

This was our 6th visit to the Iberostar Daiquiri. We enjoy this resort for many reasons. The staff are so friendly and make you feel so welcome. There are too many to mention but the stars to me were the entertainment staff-Ari, Willie, Mario, Pepeto, ChiChi, JC, Dania, the chefs-Hector, Walter and my favourite Luis (who made the best pasta), Jandy, the beach bar restaurant-Damarys & Yami, the bartenders- Alifrey, Ari, Nelson & Yaqueline, the buffet waiters-Bernardo & Lloyd were the best! The food was very good with enough variety to keep you satisfied. There is something for everyone, you won't go hungry! The beach is beautiful and the water is clean and clear with breathtaking colours. Although we do love this resort, there are a few improvements that can be made to make it even better. If you want to stay in the renovated part of the resort, you have to pay an extra 30 pesos a day. A couple we travelled with requested the renovated room and had to pay 120 canadian dollars for the week. We assumed that all the rooms were renovated as the resort was closed for quite awhile. In the renovated room, you get a king size bed, updated bathroom with a hair blower that is of this century and newer decor. Not a major issue considering you don't spend too much time in the room. The buffet could use another toaster and another station with bacon (it goes very fast) and yes the bugs are bitting! We simply took our B vitamins which does keep the bug bites to a minimum. My sister-in-law sprayed around her bed which she found to help her. The service is very good. You don't have to wait long for a drink or get served in the dining areas. We usually go at a quieter time of year though.

Room Tip: Request the renovated room on the top floor with a partial view of the ocean
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank crane9938
DirectorDaiquiri, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Daiquiri, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Dear Crane9938,
On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the manager, we would like to thank you for choosing the Iberostar Daiquiri hotel for your recent holidays in Cuba again. Is a pleasure to read you had enjoyed a greet vacation with good quality of all services, as well thank you for taking the time to share with us and the rest of the online community your experience. Thank you for your high evaluation and considered this hotel appropriate for a relaxing vacation, great staff service and magnificent beaches.

New Brunswick, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

I travelled solo and stayed at the Iberostar Daiquiri for 14 nights from December 14th to the 28th. It was my second Christmas break at the Daiquiri and everything was great.

Front Desk:
The check in process was professional and courteous and accompanied with a welcome drink. The porter was very helpful. Lugging heavy bags across the resort and up three flights of stairs deserves a great tip! Thanks Ceidel! Service by the front desk staff including Yanitzia, Hector, Katya, Gerardo, etc. was always courteous. I appreciated Hector’s sense of humour.

Room:
My room was on the third floor with a beautiful ocean view in the quiet Pinar Del Rio bungalow located on the west side of the resort. This is not one of the renovated buildings and although the room needs updating, it was very clean and perfect for my vacation stay. For perspective, I don’t spend much time in a hotel room so as long as things work and it is clean I am content. The light over the sink was missing a switch so the light couldn’t be turned off. When reported, it was fixed the next day…very responsive by maintenance. The mini fridge is stocked every second day with water and 2 cans of pop. Everything worked fine in the room and there were absolutely no bugs or ants in the room. I recommend shaking beach bags and towels outside and keeping them off the bed to ensure there are no sand flea hitchhikers from the beach. I really appreciated the cleaning service provided by Dainy and her artistic style with towel art.

The east side is still undergoing renovations but I had the opportunity to view one of the completed “superior” rooms in the Camaguey building. Repairs were made to the exterior including the roof, replacement of the flooring in the hallways and a fresh paint job. The rooms have new beds, bed spreads, furniture, fixtures, flat screen TVs and digital safes as well as new flooring and upgraded bathrooms. The bathrooms are bright and attractive with new showers that have the rainwater type shower heads. I will definitely be booking a superior room next time I stay at the Daiquiri. Many thanks to Jorge Martinez, the Room Divisions Manager and Hayxa, Jefe de Recepción. I had emailed the hotel room a couple of weeks in advance and was assigned the exact type of room I requested. Jorge also provided me with the opportunity to see one of the renovated rooms which I very much appreciated.

Food and Beverage:
The buffet breakfast was my favourite meal of the day and a very good selection of breakfast fare was provided. The freshly made omelets by Hector are the best as well as the crepes by the lovely young man whose name I always forget. Kids (big and small) will love his Mickey and Minnie mouse pancakes. The dining room breakfast service was excellent. The staff really pay attention and I never had to ask for a coffee refill. The culture of the Iberostar Daiquiri is one of kindness and friendliness and that was demonstrated every day by Rosa, Eveyln, Ylliams and Yolanda (breakfast manager with an awesome sense of humour).

Most days I ate a late lunch at the La Marina Restaurant next to the beach. The buffet selection is similar every day but compared to grabbing lunch on the go when at work, having access to freshly cooked fish, pretty good hamburgers, pizza and salad everyday was a treat. Isac and Hanoi are two of the cooks and provide excellent service. I was impressed by their friendliness and kindness. Damarys and Yami provide the excellent service to the La Marina tables and have a great memory for what you drink. Yami is always singing and she has a great voice.

For dinners I stuck with the buffet. I never tried the a la carte restaurants so I can’t comment. Travelling solo, I prefer the buffet and I have no complaints about the food. Yes, it can be a bit repetitive particularly for side dishes but I don’t exactly undertake the biggest menu variety whilst at home either. Between the meat grill, pasta bar, carving station, and the fish grill there is certainly a sustainable menu for a vacation stay. Walter is the star of the kitchen. He entertains at the grill and does a great job with a chicken, pork or steak stir fry to your liking. He will deliver the dish to your table so you don’t have to wait. The Christmas Eve gala was fabulous. The variety of seafood, beef wellington, turkey, hors d’oeuvres, cheese selection and desserts in addition to the usual food stations was a feast. Very well done. Special thanks to Madeleine, Yude, Mel, Arnoldo and the other wait staff. To Aldennis, the sommelier…gracias mi hermano!

Bar Service:
I am not a lush but the fabulous bar staff in the La Mojito lobby bar could easily turn you into one! They are friendly, polite and courteous staff who make kick butt drinks. The lobby bar with the expertise of Ari, Alifreyo, Vecky, Yacqueline, Yosovny (sorry if spelling is wrong!) and the bar managers was a comfortable and entertaining place to enjoy before and after dinner drinks. Blended margaritas and Spanish Coffee were my favourites and occasionally requesting a “surprise” can result in some tasty concoctions.

Entertainment:
I enjoyed the nightly entertainment in the lobby each evening. A few bands perform and alternate evenings. Trying to sell CDs for 10 CUCs is a tough way to make a living for a band of 5 members so if you don’t want to buy a CD, a tip of a CUC or two is most appreciated. I didn’t attend the evening entertainment shows so I can’t comment on quality. Not a fan of Mr. and Miss Iberostar type competitions as a form of entertainment

Beach:
Love the beach. The beach is raked for sea weed every day. The beach shrinks at high tide and then widens again when walking toward the Melia but there is still enough space for a lounger. Never had a problem finding a beach chair but the hotel wasn’t at peak capacity. There always seems to be a breeze at Cayo Guillermo which is great for keeping the mosquitoes away. It is a popular area for kite boarders/surfers and life guards ensure they surf outside the swimming areas so folks don’t get run over. Hobi cats can be hired to take you out to the reef for snorkeling…well worth the trip.

Bugs:
Yup!...there are bugs… but if you go prepared it is usually manageable. If you are prone to allergic reactions to bites that could pose a problem. The sand fleas and the jejenes are the worst offenders as their bites itch like a b#@ch. For sand fleas, they are most prevalent on the beach in the early mornings and evenings. During the day apply a repellent that includes a mix of eucalyptus ,lemongrass, citronella and witch hazel and avoid sitting beside piles of seaweed. I found the jejenes were actually worse in the lobby area (not the lobby bar area, but where the couches are in the main lobby area). The only evening the little buggers feasted on me was when I forgot to apply repellent and sat in that area on my second night. I avoided sitting there after that. For evenings in the lobby bar I used the clip-on mosquito repellent by Off…even just laying it on my table… and sprayed Watkins on my legs and feet. It seemed to work as I am usually like a canary in a coal mine when it comes to bug bites and I was okay. Bring a supply of Benadryl, cortisone cream and calamine lotion just in case. I tried the Vitamin B1 idea as well i.e. taking Vitamin B1 for 5 weeks prior to departure. Not sure if it worked or not but didn’t hurt.

Other Perks and Observations:
•There are a few gift shops plus a cigar store as well as a shop where you can purchase extra water, beer, and munchies. Again, service was very courteous and friendly. The prices of the small bottles of Havana Club 7 year old rum and the Montecristo cigarillos are cheaper at the airport.

•Service at the club house for towel replacement was very good. I never had a problem exchanging towels but when the hotel is full there are times when clean towels are not available.

•Massages can be booked at the gym, e.g. $40 CUC for an hour, and are worth it. Jose, the tennis pro, is an interesting man to talk to. Join him for lunch at La Marina.

•Exchanging cash can be done at the front desk. There is also a bank on the Daiquiri premises if you wish to obtain a cash advance on your credit card or Visa debit cards as long as they are not tied to an American bank. Make sure you have your passport before you get in the bank line up as the passport is required. The bank opens at 9am and closes for lunch. On the last Friday of the month, the bank closes at noon. The bank is within walking distance of other resorts on Cayo Guillermo. There is an ATM in Moron which will take credit and Visa/Mastercard debit cards for cash withdrawals.

•The grounds and maintenance staff are friendly, polite and work hard. The security guards are very pleasant as well. One named Carlo noticed me icing my knee one day and brought me an ointment to use…very unexpected but most appreciated.

•Hop on – hop off bus runs between the Daiquiri and Playa Pilar on a regular schedule. Return trip is $5CUC.

•I recommend tipping in CUCs so staff can buy what they need e.g. food, fuel, milk, bottled water, an item they are saving up for, etc.… or if you have a friend(s) ask what they need vs. bringing what we think they need…saves on luggage weight.

•If you have an opportunity to go to Ciego D’Avila and/or Moron check out the Pauyet Galeria. There are unique pieces of jewelry and handcrafted items made from flatware e.g. spoons, forks and knives. The workmanship is painstaking using rustic equipment…the prices don’t reflect the creativity and effort. Excellent vacation keepsakes. Some Pauyet Galeria items are available at the Daiquiri gift shop as well.

I always look for the accessibility of management to both staff and guests and I was impressed by the constant presence of two of the management staff: Jorge Martinez and Alberto (I hope I got his name right). These guys put in long hours and set a great example and work ethic. The new general manager may have been on holidays when I was there...never met him/her.

This was my third visit to the Daiquiri and although I primarily go back for the friendliness of the staff I do objectively look at the services and facilities. IMHO the star or roundel ratings should be considered in comparison to the other hotels offered by the service provider e.g. Sunwing’s and WestJet’s 4* are comparable to Air Canada’s 3.5 roundels. IMHO I prefer the Air Canada hotel ratings. The Air Canada roundels of 3.5 for the Daiquiri compared to the other hotels Air Canada Vacations offer is fair…although, based on my experience, I rank the Daiquiri higher than the Tryp. Someone else may prefer the Tryp…it all depends on what you are looking for. I like the smaller resorts. For overall value, for me the Daiquiri is a 5.

Room Tip: The new superior rooms on the east side are very nice.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
11 Thank Mirami-j
Dear Mastercga,
We appreciate your comments posted on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay at Iberostar Daiquiri Hotel. We are pleased that everything were excellent, thank for the height evaluation about it. Iberostar aims to provide to our beloved guests an excellent service so they can “enjoy being a Star”. We are glad to read that we accomplished our goal with you during your stay among us.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

We flew in on Christmas day and after about a 120 minute wait were able to check into our rooms. The check in process is very disorganized and the gent who checked us in was pretty sour; I guess he didn't like working on Christmas day.
The rooms are indeed dated and we and our family had problems with each room. having said that they were clean enough and the beds were comfortable.
The pool area and beach were quite nice. The beach itself is lovely with very white sand and calm warm water. There seemed to be plenty of loungers available throughout our stay. One important point to note, the hotel makes you sign for your beach towel and if you lose it they will charge you $25. We had one of our towels stolen and it seemed that this is a common occurrence at the hotel. The property manager didn't care in the slightest so keep an eye on your towels.
The service staff at the hotel were absolutely wonderful. They were unfailingly warm, friendly and attentive. Please tip them as they work very hard and appreciate the gesture.
We had no issues with the food and enjoyed our meals at the buffet. The al a carte are not as good but worth a try for a change of pace.
The last issue is the bugs. They are everywhere and are horrendous. My partner got eaten alive despite using deep woods off and over sprays throughout the trip. I'm not sure what works to keep them away...

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Bruce G
Dear Bruce G,

On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the manager we would like to thank you for the opportunity you have given us by choosing Iberostar daiquiri Hotel for you Christmas Holyday in Cuba, is a pleasure for us to know it were a great vacation. As well so sorry for the inconvenienced during you registrations at the front desk we will take a good note about in proof not happen again.

We look forward to be able to offer you our hospitality again at our hotel.

Best regard.
Hotel manager
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

I dont know where to begin with our horrible experience at Iberostar Daquiri during our stay on December 3rd. My friend I and chose this hotel due to its chain name reputation as we stayed at Iberostar in punta cana (5 star) and it was one of the most breath-taking resort ever. This is rated a 4 star so we thought it shouldnt be much less than a 5 star quality yet from the ugly ground to the motel-like rooms, rude staffs and tastless food selections I cannot even say it stands to be a 3 star. Every minute stayed there was just a nightmare that we have to immediately switch our hotel to Memories Flamengo for the same price so we advice everyone to stay away from this place to go anywhere but here.
To begin with our horrible experience, we arrived the night of the 3rd of December. The lobby itself looked dirty and old fashioned, we felt like it has not been touched since the 1980s. When we got accommodated to our rooms we were shocked by the ugly colors, smelly washroom and squeaky beds situation. Not to exaggerate it felt like a horror movie couldve been shot in here. Furthermore, there were blood stains found on our toilet seats and ants crawling over our sink. We couldnt believe for the price weve paid for and the Iberostar reputation this is what stands before us. Little did we know the nightmare just began. We went to report to the front desk but the only lady on duty at the time told us there were only one maid and she is busy. We emphasized on our washroom situation and after few arguments she finally agrees to send the maid to check our room. So we went back to our room to wait for the maid to come. Shortly the maid came, without any acknowledgement to us she went to took a look at our washroom, then walked straight to the telephone and spoke to the front desk lady as of we were not present. Although we do not speak spanish we can hear the front desk lady yelling and raising her voice (most likely cursing us) and the maid just laughing. And once again, she hang up the phone and without even looking or saying a single word she walked out (without even closing our door) and never returned. Thats then weve realized there will be nothing that can be done until we see our representative the next morning. It was a sleepless night and I counted the minutes until we can leave this terrifying place. We are 100% disappointed as this hotel does not stand up for the Iberostar reputation weve experienced prior.
The next day altho the hotel manager came to address us and tried to upgrade us with a better room we just could not spend a single second at this terrible terrible resort. Later we switched to Memories Flamingo in Cayo Coco and I can say it was a Heaven and Hell difference. So to anyone who is considering this resort, save yourself the trouble of disappointments and switching, DO NOT, DO NOT COME HERE. ITS A TOTAL NIGHTMARE!!! from food, to the grounds, the staffs, the rooms and everything else you can ever imagine...STAY AWAY!!!

Room Tip: any room is old and dirty.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
15 Thank Katelyn P
Dear Lyn P,

On behalf of the manager of the Iberostar Daiquiri hotel, like first to all we would like to exposing our excuse for the incident happened during you arrival to the hotel. How we can understand the hotel didn’t fulfill with the expectative you had about your hotel 4 star, unfortunately the events occurred could not allow you to contact that is not in our-standard service.

all characters and services that comprise our all inclusive (4 star hotel) plan is offered published in all travel agency brochure, for that reason we does not understand that you find the old hotel… is the same in the picture. About cleaning, since the time of your arrival in the dark time do not understand how you can say this?.

I think the other positive comments posted by other guest serve to refute that this is a hotel that does not meet the standard offered in our package.

However thank you for your comments; we look with much interest you strain to achieve with this improvement in services offered at our hotel.

Hotel Manager.
Brandon, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

I arrived on Xmas Eve, to the most wonderful buffet featuring both lobster and turkey. The food was up to that level of excellence the rest of the week, but was still good, with plenty of food choices from each of the restaurants. The weather and beach are terrific. You get about 30 yards of sand on the beach in the morning, which reduces to about 10 yards of beach when the tide comes in late in the afternoon. The beach extends a few kilometers in each direction. I didn't witness the bugs that others were complaining about, and did see them fogging every day.

The room was cleaned well, and everything worked. The people working throughout the resort are very friendly.

Two minor complaints: the site indicated it was only 35 minutes from airport, but stopping at several other resorts along the way, the trip actually took 1:15 each way. And I specifically selected this resort for the water sports; they have only one windsurfer which is in disrepair and you can't take the catamarans out on your own. They are basically used all day to ferry tourists to a nearby island for snorkeling tours (at an additional cost of $25 pesos).

It was a good vacation, I got the terrific weather and relaxation that I was looking for, but at the same time it wouldn't be a place I would be rushing to get back too.

Keith

Room Tip: The room doesn't matter to me............I spend all my time at that beach.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Keith S
DirectorDaiquiri, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Daiquiri, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
DEAR Kelth S,

We are grateful for this comments posted on TripAdvisor regarding your recent stay at Iberostar Daiquiri Hotel. We are pleased that everything were excellent, thank for the height evaluation about it. Iberostar aims to provide to our beloved guests an excellent service so they can “enjoy being a Star”. We are glad to read that we accomplished our goal with you during your stay among us.

We hope to see you one again soon!
Regard

#7 of 8 in Oyster Pond
Royal Palms
Royal Palms
#1 of 3 in South Hill

Been to IBEROSTAR Daiquiri? Share your experiences!