“Wonderful holiday.”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Cayo Guillermo
Region of Waterloo, Canada
“Wonderful holiday.”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Most recently I have vacationed in Mexico, Dominican and Cuba and nothing compares to the genuine friendliness of the Cuban people. The staff at this resort are outstanding, they really do make your holiday exceptional. They have to travel a long distance to come to work every day, but are always smiling and pleasant. My room was great, yes it needs updating, but I knew that when I went there, so I wasn't surprised. I don't spend much time in the room anyway, so it doesn't matter to me. The ac worked just fine, pillows and bed were very comfortable. My room was always kept clean, floors washed and beautiful new towel art every day, which always made me smile. I always had hot water. Room number 3337 in the Holguin bldg. I found this a perfect location, a few steps to the beach, pool area and lobby bar. This was my first time traveling alone and it didn't take long at all to meet people. I played a few games in and around the pool and beach area, took dancing lessons in the pool bar at 5 and played darts in the lobby bar at 8 every day. Great ways to make friends fast. The food was fine, no complaints. I never had to wait in line for a freshly made omlette or a pasta dish. The young man making pasta, Lisan (I hope I'm spelling that correctly) even gave me a gift one evening, that meant the world to me. Marcel always served me fresh coffee in the morning with a smile. When I asked about his children, he showed me pictures of them. Even the gardeners William and Lasaroo were friendly, they work so hard, give them a few pesos when you see them. I also didn't have to wait long to get a drink and they have those slushie machines, so you can have that in your drink, lime, strawberry and pineapple. The only line up I stood in was for the bank, try to guess how much you'll need to spend so you only have to go there once, you can change any you have left over at the airport while you are waiting to board your plane to come home. The first 5 days were hot and the last 2 cloudy and cooler. I loved the cuban band that played every evening in the lobby bar, it made for a very nice festive fun atmosphere. I found snorkeling off the beach better in Holguin. I didn't see very many fish just off the beach, but I did see a big beautiful starfish and a stingray over by the pier. I did have a guy take me out on a catamaran for 15 pesos, to the coral reef, lots of fish there to see. He threw bread in after I jumped off and they were all around me. If you are interested in taking excursions it will take a chunk out of your day, because the hotel is very remote. I would highly recommend this place to anyone. Many people I met had been there before, one couple for 14 years, 1 for 8 years, that speaks volumns about what the place is like.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Kim B
DirectorDaiquiri, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Daiquiri, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
dear Kim B
On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the manager, we would like to thank you for choosing the Iberostar Daiquiri hotel is a pleasure to read you had enjoyed a greet vacation, as well thank you for taking the time to share with us and the rest of the online community your experience. Thank you for your high evaluation and considered this hotel appropriate for a relaxing vacation, great staff service and magnificent beaches.

Best regard
Oscar Escallada

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (530)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Ware, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 28, 2013

My partner and i have just arrived back from a two week stay here, and feel very relaxed and rested. We loved our stay at the hotel - but as other comment's say it could do with a facelift.
We thought the food was very good and had excellent choice of everything - we never went hungry!
All staff were very friendly and efficient. We personally didnt like the entertainment in the evenings, and feel it was more aimed towards families and children. But we did take part in several activities during the days inc shooting, football and snorkeling, which we really enjoyed.
The location is absolutely beautiful and we enjoyed long walks around the island to see all of the wildlife and other beaches. We were a little disappointed that we were so far away from mainland Cuba, esp Havana, so felt at some points we werent really getting to know Cuba. But we did an excursion with Thomas Cook which was Discover Cuba and swim with Dolphins (Dolphins where fantastic) which is a must to get a flavor of Cuba - however due to being so far away from mainland this ended up being very coach orientated (about 13 hours over 2 days) - but hay that's Thomas Cooks choosing so no reflection of the hotel itself. Speaking of TC - do prepare yourself for an uncomfortable flight if you are going with them. The planes are very old and it's all very commercial!
All in all, we would definitely recommend the hotel and look forward to seeing pictures following the facelift! Thank you for a lovely holiday!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Katie B
DirectorDaiquiri, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Daiquiri, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Dear Katie B,

On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the manager at the Iberostar Daiquiri Hotel, we would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review for Tripadvisor about your opinion of your stay; We are very pleasure to know you feel very relaxed and rested after your recent holiday with us. Iberostar aims to provide to our beloved guests an excellent service so they can “enjoy being a Star”. We are glad to read that we accomplished our goal with you during your stay among us.

Thank for recommend the hotel; we hope to see again at our hotel.

Regards
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We have travelled alot so objectively this is not a 4 Star 3 is more accurate. It is an older property and is undergoing renovations in May we were told but no real details what was being renovated other than the rooms. The rooms were very basic, original furniture, but clean, only complaint is the bathroom water pressure and temperature. We had no hotwater the first 2 days (we were not the only ones) Then had hot water for a day and lost it and the water pressure for the last 2 days. You can exchange money at the front desk but rates are really high wait and exchange at the bank next store. You may have to line up but worth it.

Food was good better than we expected didnt have to add anything for flavour. Ate in all three ala cartes food was okay not the usual notches above buffet but the food was good. Good selection at the buffet never go hungry unless you picky. Staff are 5 Star friendly fun and very helpful. Shows are good. lots of energy.

Beaches are 5Star beautiful, great snorkling. expect to be wowed

Room Tip: Rooms over the main lobby are noisier
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
DirectorDaiquiri, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Daiquiri, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Dear trvlforlife,
We would like first to all, to thank you for taking time to write this review about your stay at the Iberostar Daiquiri hotel as a destination of your holidays. We are very pleased to know you enjoyed your vacation, likewise our apology for the inconvenience with the bedrooms. Your comments motivate us to continue improving on our daily chores. Thank for the good comments references our quality food and staff service.

We hope to be able to offer you our hospitality again at our hotel
Whitecourt
Reviewed March 21, 2013

we spent 7 days.the staff was awesome,the place was a little run down but very clean.The food at the buffet was very tasty,we never used our spices that we brought,we tried 1 of the other restaurants,that was a mistake.we ate all of our meals at the buffet.fishing was awesome,snorkeling was great,the beaches were really nice.just be very careful bringing back fragile stuff as my eagle carving was broke in 7 pieces and it was even tagged as fragile at the airport and the wife's suitcase was broken as well.still waiting on sunwing to see what happens over that. But over all had a awesome time and we plan on going back next year.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank raymond p
DirectorDaiquiri, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Daiquiri, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear Myrfaith,

We are glad to know that you found our hotel clean, friendly and great foods; Iberostar aims to provide to our beloved guests an excellent service so they can “enjoy being a Star”. We are glad to read that we accomplished our goal with you during your stay among us.

We hope to be able to offer you our hospitality again at our hotel or other Iberostar Hotels.

Best Regard,
Reviewed March 21, 2013

This hotel should be downgraded to 3 star. Dirty resting chairs at the beach and pool area. Food menu is poor. Waiting beach towells 2 days.Dont expect changing room towells every day.
Would not recomend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank apppl
Dear appl,

Thank you for your review and for your comments regarding our resort. I apologize for the problems you had fined in the different facilities in the hotel. Every day we try our best to make our guest pass an excellent stay, there are situations that happen which are resulting in mostly, sorry if it were not for you.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

The food was great, entertainment was excellent, friendly staff & value. If we ever go back, we will stay the same hotel. The cleaning lady was very friendly & did a great job. The overall services was great.
We had a great time!!!

• Stayed March 2013
DirectorDaiquiri, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Daiquiri, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Myrfaith,
We would like first thank you for choosing Iberostar Daiquiri as a destination for your holidays, also, for taking time to write this review about the experience you got in your recently stay with us. According your comment has enjoyed an excellent holiday; we are pleased to know that.

Toronto
Reviewed March 19, 2013

My wife and I just returned from a March Break vacation at the Iberostar Daiquiri. We were both disappointed with the condition of our hotel room and some of the services.

First, let me start with the positives: the beach is spectacular! It's one of the best beaches I have ever seen. The water is calm, clear and turquoise. The sand is white and soft like powder. The beach is also not very crowded, and it is relatively easy to find a spot to relax during the day. However, it can be very windy in Cayo Guillermo. In fact, many of the guests at the hotel did not venture into the water because it was so cool when we were there--us included. The hotel staff confirmed that it is typically very windy in Cayo Guillermo and cool (so pack some sweaters).

The hotel grounds are nice and well taken care of. The hotel lobby is lively in the evenings, and there is entertainment for all ages. The food at the restaurants is not bad either, but there is a lack of variety. The food at the Mexican restaurant and the Cuban restaurant was quite good. Staff at the restaurants are very hospitable and will not let your glass go empty.

Despite the good things about the hotel, the Iberostar Daiquiri has some fundamental problems. First of all, the condition of our hotel room was a major disappointment. While our room was near the beach, it was very outdated and dirty. It looked like (and felt like) the floors had never been swept or mopped. Our "clean" sheets had stains on them, and that's how we knew that the cleaning staff did not change them. Even though we asked for our room to be serviced, it only appeared that they would make up our bed. The hotel room did not have a clock or an iron; these may be things that you will want to bring if you plan on staying here.

It seemed that everything in the room was also broken, from the lock on the patio door, to the towel rack in the bathroom. The room and bathroom were in desperate need of renovating. In fact, the bathroom was disgusting. I was constantly killing fruit flies in there, and it appeared that the bathroom was never cleaned well. Supplies such as toilet paper, tissues and soap were not made readily available by the hotel. We were allotted one roll of toilet paper every two days. My wife and I constantly had to ask for more supplies. If you choose to stay here, I would suggest bringing your own supplies - toilet paper and all.

If you're looking for a warm shower, this is not the place to have it. Of the eight days that we stayed here, warm water was only available for two days!

Beach towels were not readily available. For the first two days, the hotel did not have any clean beach towels, which was actually an ongoing problem during our stay. Other guests were complaining about this same problem, which is very common at the Iberostar Daiquiri. Lastly, long waits are another common problem here. Long waits for food at the grill, booking a la carte restaurants and other services should be expected. We waited about one hour to book our dinners at the a la carte restaurants on the property when there was only about 10 people in front of us.

I would personally not return to this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank AndAPilot
DirectorDaiquiri, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Daiquiri, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Anhapilnt,

On behalf of the manager of the Iberostar Daiquiri hotel, I will like to present you our apology for your disappointed with the hotel rooms and some others thing that made did not enjoy your holiday fully as expected. Our staff works very hard to ensure that all our guests enjoy an unforgettable vacation; sorry that was not the case.

Just comment that this hotel offers 4 star categories, unfortunately there are host of accessory item not covered in this room category. Also, say that is planning to start refurbishment of the rooms, starting with 100 this year from May.

We would like to thank you for the opportunity you have given us to read this review that always help us to know where we have to put more attention in towards improving.

Sincerely
Melia Cayo Coco
Melia Cayo Coco
#1 of 12 in Cayo Coco
Memories Flamenco Beach Resort

Been to IBEROSTAR Daiquiri? Share your experiences!