“Amazing holiday in the most beautiful surroundings you have ever seen !!!!!”
Review of IBEROSTAR Daiquiri

IBEROSTAR Daiquiri
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Cayo Guillermo
Paisley, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Amazing holiday in the most beautiful surroundings you have ever seen !!!!!”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

First of all do not be put off by people giving this resort bad reviews, having visited many different resorts in the Caribbean , I can assure you this resort is fantastic. We returned on jan 19th after 2 weeks, the weather was great, very hot, although a little cooler in the evenings at times.
The beach is literally the most beautiful beach you have ever seen, the "bounty advert" comes to mind. The water is crystal clear and so shallow for miles out with amazing aquatic life , hundreds of star fish and swordfish. Can't praise the beach enough!
The rooms as far as I am concerned are the standard for the Caribbean and we had no gripes what so ever, can't imagine how great they will be when they are renovated in may, bathroom was the only area we felt could do with the upgrade and at that we had no problems with it.
There is soooo much choice when it comes to food, there really is something for everyone and the people who complain I imagine are the type of people that don't try new things and go abroad to just eat the same things they eat at home (otherwise know as boring). We found the Mexican restaurant the best al a carte as we like spicy food. You really can't go hungry there and we have all put on around half a stone after the holiday. The drinks are fantastic ! Some of the best cocktails I have had in Caribbean all inclusive hotels, even using blenders etc to give you great frozen cocktails.
The shows are great and we can't praise the entertainment team enough, they do not pressure people into partaking, although we did quite a bit. Ari, Willie, Pedro, ChiChi, Denis, Yaro and Darien are fantastic and we had such a great time because of them!!
We would recommend taking out a moped for the day, not something we would usually do however as no one lives in the cayos there is very little traffic and as a result is quite safe. We drove up to pilar beach, supposedly the most beautiful beach on the island ( I would disagree and say ours was), we also took a trip to the dolphinarium, take our advice and do the 49 peso interaction with dolphins, the 110peso swimming with dolphins is of worth the extra money, the only difference is for 110pesos there is 2dolphins with u not 1, and also u get pulled by the dolphins. We also did the sunset horse ride with lobster dinner, the lobster is fresh caught that day and was out of this world!!
Welcomed this hotel and had a fantastic holiday and will definitely be back, so interested to see what they will do in the refurb.
Fantastic hotel and unforgettable holiday!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Chrisandbek
DirectorDaiquiri, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Daiquiri, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Dear Chrisandbek

We would like to Thank you for the kind words and the lovely review about your last holiday in this hotel Iberostar Daiquiri, We cannot express our joy of having been able to provide you with such a pleasant vacation

As we have seen, we treat all our customers with special attention and detail to make your experience here will be great vacation

On behalf of all the staff, we are looking forward to your next visit here and we hope that it is going to be even better than the previous one
Best Regar.
Oscar Escallada

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (556)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Terrebonne, Canada
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stayed at Iberostar Daiquiri from November 10-17, 2012. The lobby and common areas were nice and well kept. However this is not a large resort so seating at the lobby bar was sometimes pretty hard to come by. Speaking of the lobby, we have deduced that the couches at the front are infested with fleas. All six of us had our legs, arms and upper back chewed on. Not pleasant seing as the itch lasted about a month... We figure it wasn't the beds since our torsos, thighs and butts were not affected... The lobby staff are great! We had a great time with Vecky, Alifrey and Yaqueline. Keep singing and keeping the drinks flowing, you are the best!!! The food is actually quite good, of course a buffet will always get repetitive after a week, this is to be expected. The a la carte restaurants are good, the Mexican is the best. At the Italian we ordered linguine and got penne....LOL! The rooms are dated and have a moldy, cigar smell to them. We had to open our patio door every time we were in the room until we went to bed. The bathrooms are stuck on the 80s. We also had mold on our AC grill. Beds are only 3/4. You need to push them together if a couple, and then end up on the same bed cause no one wants to sleep on the crack. Not ideal. There is no clock in the rooms. We had a nice ocean view which I had requested by email before arriving. Thank you to the manager, it was appreciated. This resort only has one pool and its not very large. The beach had quite a bit of algae which was cleaned up every day at around 11 am. This may have been due to our visit only 2 weeks after hurricane Sandy came by. The tide was very unpredictable going out by 10 am at the beginning of the week and never even beginning to recede by 1pm on the last day... Making the beach non existent. We were quite disappointed with our Air Canada rep. He was at the hotel only from 10:45 to 12 every day, exactly when you start getting into a nice beach grove. He made mistakes on our excursions, one of which we missed because of his error. We had to wait to check in at the lobby and this at 11pm. Other carriers arrange check in for you before arrival. Not impressed with AirCanadaVacations... In my experience Sunwing have better service. Finally be aware that the 2 hour lobster dinner sunset horseback ride on the beach is misleading. The dinner is included in the 2 hours, so you're horseback only 1 hour. The horseback ride is mostly on the road with only about 5 minutes on the beach. As the sun sets, it is behind you so you don't see it... And the lobster dinner is in a shack on the beach. It was very good but still a shack. I would not go back, we prefer larger resorts.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Alanna R
Dear Alanna R,
Thank you for your comments with regards to our resort. We apologize to hear that you didn’t enjoy your holiday as well you were the expectative of this resort; we welcome your comments regarding our staff and facilities.
Regarding the allocate place of this hotel that you find is not a longer resort as you prefer, I understand why you say that but this resort is structured according to their capacity, is not a big resort like other one. As well other clients hat several goods comments about the distributions of the facilities services places on this hotel. We thing it will depends what the client prefer. We offer a four star resort so there are service we don’t have like other five star hotel.
You comment that you deduced the couches at the front are infested with fleas reason why their bites you, our cleaning staff everyday clean all this places, and verifying the dates of your stay we don´t have other customer with report the same cases happened. .. More easy I thing can be Insect fly’s , could be happen because the tropical climate here lends itself to the spread of them, which are opposed by our constant spraying the entire area of the hotel, it is always recommended the customer to user repellents.
About your disappointed with your reprehensive by TTOO Air Canada, for the made mistakes on our excursions organized, I will pass this not to the person in charge I'll ask them to take the necessary measures so that such incidents do not recur.
Best regard, Oscar Escallada
tiwan
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We arrived Dec 26th,all 17 of us 2 chn, 7 young adults,6 adults and 2 parents.Left Nova Scotia Can at 6 A,M. and on the beach at 3 P.M..Thus began a wonderful vacation
Once there we were introduced to a large number of skilled,pleasant,caring,staff who made our stay memerable and satisfying.
As we read the other reviews we can only applaud them and agree 100% to the positive responses.
We also enjoyed the beach,pool,activeties,bars,food, rooms,weather,professional entertainment nightly. We recommend Iberstar Daiquiriand hope to return.

Room Tip: We were in the #1 main top floor perfect
1 Thank velmaTiwan
DirectorDaiquiri, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Daiquiri, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Velma Tiwan,
On behalf of the Iberostar Daiquiri staff I would like to thank your comments and your preference for our resort. It motivates us to continue improving to know we met your expectations and that we have offered you and all in the Christmas family vacation a great vacation.

We will be very happy to welcome you back once again at this resort.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 18, 2013

This was our first time in Cuba and I have to admit I was a little apprehensive beforehand after having read a few less than happy reviews of the Iberostar Daiquiri. But, we were more than happily surprised. We were there 3rd to 17th December and we had an amazing time.

Check-in was surprisingly so quick and after having a 5 hour delay at Gatwick, we arrived much later than we had expected, we arrived close to 9.30pm, but the staff checked us in very efficiently and we spent the first night in the main building above the bar. I had emailed the hotel 2 weeks prior to our arrival to request a room in one of the beach-front villas but they weren't able to accommodate my request for the first night.. It was quite noisy being in the main building but we were exhausted and went to bed.

The next morning after breakfast, we went to reception and we were moved to a beach Villa immediately. The rooms at this resort are a little tired, but kept very clean. The bathrooms were very clean and and replenished everyday. I did tip the maids a couple of CUCs every 2-3 days and they were very friendly and accommodating. The hotel doesn't offer a laundry service, but we were told to speak to our maid and she actually took our clothes away, and had them washed and ironed and we were very happy.

It would be great if the hotel did provide a laundry service.

I was amazed at the Cable TV they have in the rooms, a huge selection of American channels. I did take a travel kettle as I couldn't do without my morning cup of coffee and this served me well. There are fridges in the rooms that are replenished with water and beers or soft drinks.

The food was great in all of the restaurants and the staff in the hotel were all so lovely, we met some amazing Cubans. All of them very happy, so helpful and always full of smiles. We couldn't have asked for more. I was amazed at how creative the chefs at the resort were, they have huge difficulties in importing lots of things we take for granted, but they do really make so much of an effort.

The beaches are amazing and so very beautiful, the snorkelling on the reef is a must. The speedboat excursion was fabulous. The Dolphinarium on Cayo Guillermo was absolutely brilliant, we booked this through the agents based in the foyer area.

The resort is very well kept, the gardens are immaculate and all the groundsmen are so very helpful and friendly.

I had prepared myself well with Insect repellent, and this is an absolute must. I cannot stand being bitten so I had gone for the strongest strength I could find, Cayo Guillermo is surrounded by marshes and densely populated mangrove, so quite green but full of insects, especially sandflies. Sandlfly bites are awful and painful. Babyoil also works well as sandflies cannot get a grip on your skin.The hotel does fumigate the grounds in the evening when the sandflies and mozzies are out in force, and I would recommmend taking a can of insect spray like Raid with you for your rooms. DO take antihistamines, tablets and topical cream, these cost the earth in Cuba.

We had an amazing time in Cuba and met some beautiful people along the way, I know for sure I won't have any hesitation in telling people to stay at this resort, and I'm sure we'll go back too.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view room in one of the beach front villas.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear HoneyBeaLondon,
On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the manager; We would like to thank you for choosing the Iberostar Daiquiri as well as to share with us and the rest of the online community your opinion of your stay, We are pleased that you have been a brilliant holiday. Iberostar aims to provide to our beloved guests an excellent service so they can “enjoy being a Star”. We are glad to read that we accomplished our goal with you during your stay among us.
We will be happy to meet you again in this hotel.

Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We had a nice time at the Iberostar Daiquiri on Cayo Guillermo in Cuba. We travelled on 7 december 2012 for two weeks. The weather really made the holiday for us. We had been to the hotel before so knew not to expect luxury accomodation. However I found that the place was looking a bit run down. The rooms were ok and we're clean enough but we did not spend much time in the room, it was a little cramped and the decor was garish but the bed was comfortable enough and we all slept well. The grounds were kept clean, though sometimes the bins were not emptied as often as they should have been on the beach. The pool was clean and very cool which was fine as the temperature was averaging about 25 degrees Celsius.

Beach was lovely but there was a lot of seaweed that needed to be cleared some days, but most of the time it was pleasant to walk along the beach. We just wanted a quiet holiday with our six year old son who basically played in the sea and the pool the whole time. He did not get bitten but I think he was the only guest who did not get eaten alive! The sand flies were terrible. I had to take anti histamine and painkillers to cope, I have never had to do that before and I have been to a lot of tropical locations, so beware!

Having said all that, we did not pay a a lot for this holiday, if we had paid £800 or more I would not have been happy. We got our money's worth. Most staff were helpful and good natured but some were downright rude and miserable. They are refurbishing this hotel over the summer of 2013 so maybe it will improve but I am sure this will mean increased prices. All in all I would recommend this hotel if you don't mind getting bitten, you don't spend much time in your room, you are looking for a quiet holiday with little action in a remote but lovely location and you are not bothered about gourmet dining. And only book if its a bargain cause in high season when it's expensive it will be a let down.

One thing I was not comfortable with was the scrounging. Staff were asking us for clothing. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind helping people in need out but it was just how brazen some of them were that surprised me. Just be prepared for it, especially if you have kids. I did leave lots of clothes and shoes. Also some of the staff expect tips and if you don't pay up they won't serve you or they will make sure you know they are not happy. Most staff are fine though. We were looked after by Janet in the dining room in the evening and she is one of the loveliest, genuine people I have ever met.

5 Thank 214Rasputia
Dear 214Rasputia,

We would like first to all, to thank you for taking time to write this review about your stay (once again) in the hotel Iberostar Daiquiri as a destination of your holidays. We are very pleased to know you enjoyed your vacation, likewise our apology for the inconvenience caused; we hope in a next stay you observe improvement in those points mentioned in your comment. Your comments motivate us to continue improving on our daily chores.

We will be very happy to welcome you once more

Best regard,
Henderson, Nevada, United States
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We stayed from Dec 16 - 21. They were amazing 5 nights 6 days in that resort. It is an ideal place for families with kids. My little ones Brian and Kelly will miss the kid zone area next the pool as well as those beautiful beaches. The weather was perfect with temperature level about 80F and humidity level about 60%. The water temperature at the beach and pool was a little bit cool compare to summer season in July but good enough compare to 100% humidity level during summer. Most of the hotel staff was trained speaking different language which is really good. We visited playa Del Pilar and the dolphin aquarium that were a blast. I will recommend visiting those places. Mosquitoes are a little bit of an issue but not a big deal. The entertainment at nights was really good and interactions with kids enjoyable. Staying at the beach with Coconut drink was excellent and friendly service from the hotel staff. We will miss the buffet and the friendly waitresses and bartenders. Maid service was good keeping rooms clean and creative decorations with towels very nice. We spent a very good time in the resort and we will definitely think to do it again.
Just one suggestion is to provide a laundry service for long stays since children change clothes very often even during a day.

3 Thank Percy P
DirectorDaiquiri, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Daiquiri, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear Percy P,
Thank you for choosing our hotel and for posting your comments. We are happy to know you had a nice family stay in our resort. As well, we welcome your comments on the need to provide a laundry service at the hotel; these comments help us when making decisions about the needs that allow us to perform better customer service. We will take it into.

Deer Lake, Canada
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We stayed at the Iberostar Daiquiri from Dec 15 - 22, 2012. The trip from the airport to the hotel was not too long and check in was quick as we had filled out forms on the bus.
My brother in law had emailed before we travelled and was able to get all of us in the same building.
The weather was beautiful, the food was great ( the best I have had in Cuba thus far ) and , because of the time of the year, the resort was not crowded . We never had any trouble getting chairs for 8 together on the beach or around the pool.
The staff was friendly and there were lots of little shops and no one was pushing you to purchase anything like in the Dominican Republic.
We rented a boat and spent the day deep sea fishing. It was only 400 CCP for all seven of us and we caught 5 large fish...one of which was cooked for us while we were on board the boat. We snorkled and had unlimited refreshements while we were out. I highly recommend this!
The younger ones were entertained with poolside games, volleyball, etc. while the older ones relaxed!
I guess my only complaint is the number of mosquito bites many visitors got while there. We got off pretty easy but we were aware of this before we went and neglected to use bug spray so I guess it was our own fault.
The rooms could use some upgrading but who spends time in the rooms anyway? My daughter and I both burned out our hair straighteners while there even though we used a convertor for the outlet.
Overall, a wonderful trip. It wasn't real "christmassy " there to get you in the holiday spirit but there was a large coconut christmas tree in the lobby.
I would go back again without a doubt!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Varedero building which was close to everything. We enjoyed a pool view. Lots of su...
8 Thank murdochfour
DirectorDaiquiri, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Daiquiri, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Dear murdochfour

I appreciate your comments posted on TripAdvisor regarding your stay experience at this hotel Iberostar Daiquiri. We are pleased that everything was comfortable for everyone in the family group Travel. Iberostar aims to provide to our beloved guests an excellent service so they can “enjoy being a Star”. We are glad to read that we accomplished our goal with you during your stay among us.

We are looking forward to welcome you back. Contact us before your arrival so we can help you to enjoy your next vacation among us.

Yours sincerely,
Melia Jardines del Rey
Melia Jardines del Rey
#9 of 12 in Cayo Coco
Memories Flamenco Beach Resort

Been to IBEROSTAR Daiquiri? Share your experiences!