“Average, not a 4 star resort as claimed. I would give it 3 star at best”
Review of IBEROSTAR Daiquiri

IBEROSTAR Daiquiri
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Cayo Guillermo
Thunder Bay, Canada
“Average, not a 4 star resort as claimed. I would give it 3 star at best”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We stayed at Iberostar Daquiri from Sept 29 thru to Oct 6/12. While the hotel does have some nice points, the rooms are not a 4 star by any means! Took photos of 8 items in our room that were either broken or very poorly repaired (meaning you could tell it was a quick fix repair).

Good Points
- Buffet was decent, always seemed to be a lot of fish/seafood (which is great if you enjoy that, however I don't. But let's just say I did not starve. The fellow cooking the eggs and grilled meat was always very pleasant and cheerful. Buffet was full on a regular basis it seemed regardless of what time we went.
-Housekeeping kept the room very clean
-Grounds were clean. One of the gardeners took the time to show us how to make a grasshopper....he had to run half way across resort to find the right leaf to make it! Appreciate the effort.
-Entertainment staff was amazing. That group works hard to provide great shows for you. Take the time to watch at least one show while you are there, they are all excellent dancers.
-Booked a snorkel adventure on beach where you sign out paddle boats etc. not a long adventure but it was only $16 nice ride on the boat and some time to see the fish. FYI...when snorkeling feed the fish bananas....crazy but they love them!

Bad Points
-Reception argued with me regarding my room reservation and insisted that I was wrong, although I was not and they had made the mistake. Spoke to Westjet Rep regarding matter, he said that customer service was supposed to have called me to apologize, but never did receive the call.
-Only one bar has a blender (Lobby). I ordered a daquiri from the other bars and was given juice with rum in it! All slushy type drinks were like that.
-No bellboy service, had to switch rooms in the pouring rain and was not even offered the service of a bell boy. Also disappointing when you arrive that no one is there to show you to your room or where to find it.
-Although most of the staff was friendly, they were understaffed and it showed in the service you were given. Very rarely were we ever asked if we would like a refill on our drinks at any of the meals and we would have several plates on the table before anyone would be by to pick them up.
-Beds are the worst that I have ever slept on
-Poorly repaired items in room/broken items in room
-Beach chairs were saggy and loose. You could feel the bar in your back when you laid on them.

I was very disappointed with this visit. I was given this resort as a second choice as the hotel I had originally booked closed. I had started to get hopeful that this would be a nice resort as other friends that have stayed at Iberostar resorts said they were great. However this resort does not match up to the other Iberostar resorts. My friends were shocked at the photos and the service we received.

I would not recommend this resort if you are looking for a 4 Star. Unfortunately this resort has left a bad taste in my mouth for any future visits to any other Iberostar locations.

If you already have a vacation book here just keep in mind not to have high expectations. Like anything it is only what you make of it. We did enjoy our vacation, we did not enjoy the resort.

Feel free to message me if you want more information or would like to see some photos of the room.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Torttila
DirectorDaiquiri, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Daiquiri, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Dear Mrs. Torttila:

I would like to thank you for the opportunity you gave us by choosing our resort. We appreciate your time in sharing with us your experience. On one hand we are glad you enjoyed your vacation overall but we regret the fact that you didn’t enjoy our resort and that it was disappointing. We are pleased that in your perception the buffet was decent, your room was clean as well as the grounds, our staff overall was nice.
We apologize for the incident you had with front desk and the fact that PR didn’t touch base with you, together with the incident regarding the blender at one of our bars.
As well, we do have bell boy service, therefore I want to offer my sincerest apologies if the approach in offering one for your room change was not offered.

Our intention is to have our clients live a wonderful Iberostar experience so I will make sure to look into every single detail as your feedback s very important to us for improving our services.

Kind regards
Oscar Escallada

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (556)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Keswick, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed October 8, 2012

Just returned a couple of weeks ago from our eighth visit to the Iberostar and can't say enough about it. We have gotten to know the staff over the many trips and when we go down, it is like going to visit family. Hayxa at the front desk did an amazing job with getting the four of us in rooms on the same floor in the same building! The bartenders were great at the lobby bar and at the Ranchero. Unfortunately we didn't get to see our favourite bartender, Einer, as he was on holidays. Food was good and the dining room staff is amazing! Midalys took great care of us, as did Lloyd. I understand the resort is closing next year from May to November so much to our dismay, we have to go elsewhere for our girls week in September. We will definitely miss the Iberostar but will look forward to seeing everyone in 2014!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank Nancy G
Dear Nancy:

It is always a big pleasure to read many comments on repeat customers that still enjoy vacationing with us. It motivates us to know that you consider our resort as your second home and that our staff are as friendly and accommodating as every other time you’ve come.

I won’t forget to mention your review to Hayxa, Lloyd and Midalys for giving you great service and we will be glad to welcome you in 2014!

Regards,
Hamilton, Ontario
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We have recently returned from our third visit to the Iberostar Daiquiri, and just had to write to say how much we enjoyed our vacation. The staff at the hotel were fantastic, and gave us such a terrific "welcome back." Our special thanks go to Hector, Yolanda, Damarys, Rosa, Felix, Debray & Midalis - not forgetting Juan & Eboni (hope we've got the last two names correctly). The food was excellent - we visited all three specialty restaurants (Mexican, Italian & Cuban) - and we loved the beach and the pedalboats. Our room was # 4348 in the Varadero building, and the housekeeping staff did an excellent job. We can also recommend the excursion to Moron - speedboat, horse & buggy ride, crocodiles, etc. etc. !
We also appreciated the fact that the General Manager, Mr. Oscar Estrillado, took the time to greet the guests during their stay, and generally ensured the smooth running of the hotel.

Hoping to return before too long !!

Patricia & Brian Bannon, Hamilton, Canada

Room Tip: We always ask for a room on the third floor
Dear Patricia and Brian:

We would like to thank you for choosing to stay again at our resort. As well, we would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review for Tripadvisor about how your holiday went.

We are delighted to hear you had a wonderful experience and I will make sure to inform Hector, Yolanda, Damarys, Rosa, Felix, Debray & Midalis , Juan, Eboni and your housekeeper that they have helped towards your happiness.

We hope to see you again at our hotel
Scotland
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We have been to Cuba 8 times the Cayo's 3 times before this last trip. We had a bad experience in Varadario and said that we would never visit Cuba again......but we did and am so glad ... Staff were outstanding ...food could be repetitive but in saying that you could always get something to eat. We also eat in the Cuban/ Italian and Mexican and was extremely pleased with the service and the food. My husband left a brand new pair of prescription glasses on the table of the Cuban restaurant on our last night, we did not find this out till the next day and the staff were real good at finding them which was a relief as It could have put a real downer on our holiday. The rooms do need a wee bit of tender love and care and our bath was rather old and needing replaced but it was clean. The gardens are outstanding and the beach ...well what can I say paradise, rather annoying how some Canadian guests place towels on sun beds and don't show till 11 am in the morning....also go straight to the dinning room from beach wet and sit on the chairs ...it does not take much to go to your room and shower and change for lunch. The only complaint I have about the bar is that they never have enough diet coke ...we did not really stay at the bar or go to any of the shows as that's just not what we want, but the staff were all lovely. The guys who clean the beach do a fantastic job, we were so surprised that one of these guys remembered us and knew which hotels we had been too .... And we had not beed in Cayo for 3 years we were impressed and it was so nice to see him call Scotland (which was the name he gave my husband) do you remember me ...ok we gave him clothes the last time and again this time but it let's you know the are genuine. The same in the shop and here again we found a friendly face from the past who remembered us and it just adds so much as there are loads of people going through the hotels and yet you remember the staff and they remember you. Reception staff were great and willing to help when ever you went near. Now Roberto he was first class and we thank you for your help in locating my husbands glasses, again we can not fault you. All we can say is we will be back as we have found paradise again in Cuba. Ok you do get bites but take anti histamine ...drink tonic water... And take some repellant ..you have to find what works for you but what's a bite when you have paradise. Can't fault my stay thank you

2 Thank Ladyscotland
DirectorDaiquiri, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Daiquiri, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Dear Ladyscotland:

On behalf of all the hotel staff, and particularly the manager, we would like to thank you for choosing once more our hotel for your vacation.

We are delighted to learn you found paradise in this beautiful corner of the world and even more to know that some of our staff members remembered you from past holidays.
Thank you for the comment on diet coke and my sincerest apologies, I will make sure our bars are stocked with more diet soda in order to satisfy our clients wishes.

We look forward to welcoming you once again!

montreal , canada
Reviewed October 5, 2012

HOLA ! Just returned Oct.3rd. from a week vacation at Iberostar Daiquiri in Cayo Guillermo Cuba . Travelled with 8 friends via Sunwings . Flight was good and meals going and coming were very good . Before i continue my review , i would like to thank Iberostar Daiquiri hotel rep. Miladis Alvarez Ortiz for making sure we were on the second floor and close to each other as we had requested . Thank you sooo much for doing all the specialty restaurants reservations and choosing block Trinidad for us as it was close to everything . We had rooms 4209-10-11-12 .Check-in was quite fast and efficient . Bus boys took our luggage to our rooms . Each block is named after a city in Cuba . Our room was kept clean all week and our mini fridge was filled every second day with beer and water . A/C and hot water worked great all week . There is a charge of 2 pesos per day for the safety deposit box in your room . The grounds are well kept with lots of trees and colorful flowers . Groundsmen never bother the customers except only to give them flowers or things that they make with the palm leaves . If you don't use the beer in the mini fridge , give them to the groundsmen , they appreciate it . The 3 specialty restaurants are Cuban , Mexican and Italian . We would like to suggest to Mr.OSCAR ESCALLADA that the Cuban restaurant is really not in a good spot . The beach bar is no place for a Specialty restaurant . It has no decorations and no atmosphere at all . ALSO Mr.Escallada , you MUST praise the beach bar waitress DAMARYS for making our noon lunches sooo enjoyable . Every day we were anxious to see her and hear her funny coments and jokes . The buffet opens from 7.00am. to 10.00am. Opens at noon and supper also . BUT , also at 11.00pm. to 6.30am. for snacks .They have a good assortment of food .The lobby bar opens at 8.00am. If you want ceasars , bring your own clamato juice as they have none in Cuba . No dress code at Specialty restaurants , dress is casual . Some activities at the beach , aqua gym , beach games , catamaran and paddle boats . Snorkelinr is close by on the reef . Beach is SUPER nice with soft white sand . Chairs with shade are available and if you tip the chair boy , he will reserve your chair .Pool games with the animation teams are happening every day . The animation team are very pleasant and anxious to make your stay enjoyable . In the mail lobby there are a few shops and in the hallway a few vendors . The rooms all have balconies . WHAT TO BRING : facecloths ( none in Cuban hotels ) toilet papers for on ground washrooms , insect repellent , gifts for the staff . For $55 pesos , you can visit the closest city from your hotel , the city of MORON where you can see the other side of Cuba . Plan this trip with your tour rep . From your room , you can call your traveling companions by simply dialing their room number . The bank in near the parking lot in front of the hotel . You will need your passport to exchange your currency at the bank . The airport has a bank also . The front desk at the hotel will change money also , Cuban for Cuban . Night shows are good and worth seeing . DON'T FORGET the $25 pesos each departing tax at the airport . If more info is needed , sheila & Don sheilaboucher@sympatico.ca

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank bremag
Dear Sheila and Don

I want to thank you for choosing our resort for your holiday. It delights us to hear you enjoyed your vacation and that you liked our grounds, staff and food. I appreciate as well your comments and suggestions regarding the Cuban restaurant, same that will be taken into consideration for future improvement.

I will make sure to say thank you to Damarys, Milady and the Gardeners as they contributed on offering you a great vacation.

We hope to welcome you once again in the future
Nova Scotia
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We just got back from Iberostar Daiquiri and having stayed there in 2009 I have to say it was wonderful then but it is even better now. The biggest improvements I have noticed are the amount of live music that they have on the resort and the new wharf that has been built at the beach. There is a boat that docks there twice a day and for 25 pesos it takes you out for a 3 hour tour which includes snorkeling on a reef where there is a (bonus)ship wreck you can view as you are snorkeling. Every night in the lobby we were delighted to see and hear a variety of extremely fabulous bands. They started playng around 6 in the evening and stayed and played off and on until around 10 at night. There was a also a great sax player a couple of times. In addition the shows were great with elaborate and tastefully done sets on stage, gorgeous costumes and amazing dancing and singing. The grounds are beautiful-lovely well established gardens and large old trees on the property. The hotel is well managed. Staff are wonderful and there is almost always something going on if you wish to take part. The animation staff work hard and really are a gifted group. They make the resort an amazing place to stay and play. We enjoyed the food as well and tried the lobster restaurant that is located next door to the hotel-"Cuba Libre" . 15 pesos for a wonderdul shrimp and lobster dinner. That was so good and with the ocean view and warm breeze made for a superb dining experience. The location of Cayo Coco and Cayo Guillermo is remote and it seems that the staff at this hotel work harder to make staying at a remote location a viable alternative to areas like Varadero that have more attractions. For a one week get away to kick back relax and have fun I highly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in one of the buildings away from the main lobby.
10 Thank susanthesun
DirectorDaiquiri, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Daiquiri, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear Susanthesun:

On behalf of the staff of Iberostar Daiquiri, I want to thank you for picking up our resort once more for your holiday. We are glad to know you found improvement in our premises and services and it motivates us to know you recommend our resort to other travelers.
I hope you decide on our resort for your future vacation.
Kind regards,
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We have been to the Daiquiri twice now and have always had a wonderful time.
The staff are so friendly and generally go out of their way to please.
I'm a fussy eater and have food intolerances, but always managed to find something to please.
The beach, well it is to die for!! I've been to other Caribbean resorts and non compare to this one.
The hotel is extremely well managed, thanks to eveyone.

Well, imagine my horror when I found out that the hotel is closing next year but Thomas Cook have already taken my money for a holiday that ends on the 3rd of May 2013!
When we booked the holiday, they were taking bookings all through April and May, now they have cut them off. I've contacted Thomas Cook many times, and all I can get out of them is that they have not had it confirmed that the hotel is closing so cannot tell their customers that it is (don't they read Trip Advisor???).
We think they must know and are just stalling us so that is gets so close to the departure date that we do not take our custom elsewhere, it is appalling!
Anyone else got a holiday next year booked with Thomas Cook?

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
18 Thank Honey_Bunny54
DirectorDaiquiri, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Daiquiri, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Honey_Bunny54:

Thank you for being so loyal to the Iberostar Daiquiri. It always motivates us to receive repeat customers as it is the best incentive on a job well done. Regarding the hotel closure date, we don’t have any confirmed date on the hotel closing down but I’m sure that when a date is settled, the tour operators will be notified so clients are aware and as well notified about the renovations we would like to do to our premises.

I hope this information is helpful and I hope to welcome you back once again in the future.

Best regards,

Melia Jardines del Rey
Melia Jardines del Rey
#9 of 12 in Cayo Coco
Memories Flamenco Beach Resort

Been to IBEROSTAR Daiquiri? Share your experiences!