“Beautiful.....But in need. Would still go back!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of IBEROSTAR Daiquiri

and 1 more site!
IBEROSTAR Daiquiri
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Cayo Guillermo
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Beautiful.....But in need. Would still go back!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

This hotel is not stunning or modern, but it has character. It does need a re-feb but.. you feel like you are in Cuba and not just in some modern hotel which looks the same at every corner.

Ok so to the important points… We loved it, it was chilled out, quiet and beautiful. The building does need an update but I really hope they don’t lose too much of their style.

The room we had was a nice size, and had a great sea view away from the pool etc.

The beach is beautiful and we stayed on the top right hand side of the beach away from the beach bar as it was a lot quitter that way. Waiters come up twice a day to ask if you want drinks.

The majority of the staff are nice, some are only nice however if you either flirt with them or tip them.
Food- Good range: make you fresh pizza’s, pasta, bread, soups, salad, lots of meat and fish, veg, chips and lots of cakes.
Drinks are great and really DO listen to the other reviews and take a travel mug as the beach bar only give you little plastic cups.

Take lots of fly spray for the days after storms.

DON’T PAY CIGARS OR ALCOHAL IN THE HOTEL for taking home… get them in the airport its cheaper!

Overall it is not some amazing 4* with the latest mod con’s it’s just a beautiful hotel, with character that needs a little tlc in some small areas. The food is good. The beach is THAT GOOD, we did not go in the pool once!!

If you can get a good price, go for it, we will be going back.

2 Thank Mel L
DirectorDaiquiri, General Manager at IBEROSTAR Daiquiri, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Dear Friend Mel L:
We would like to thank your choice for our hotel and for sharing your experience with other travellers. We are glad to perceive in your words that you felt like a Star with us.
Thank you for recommending our resort, see you soon in Iberostar Daiquiri
Oscar Escallada

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (533)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Brampton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Four of us just got back from the Daiquiri , My impression was just average. The food was very good, ( even thought myself and my friend got montazumas revenge ( the runs ) bad enough that we couldn't leave the resort ). The rooms where clean ( they don;t have bed bugs , These little things are small ants that bite) they are in all the rooms, We even say them on the bus on the way in. The people that work in the resort are excellent. They never stop. The ala carts are okay. The beach when the tide is in is very small. It is worth the trip to Pillar beach. If I could I would have spent my time on the beach there every day. Overall it is a nice resort but nothing special. I recommend the Catamaran , we did the all day ride and was very worth it. We went snorkeling and had ablast . If you want a holiday where you lay on the beach all day with screaming kids , this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Request 3rd floor and close to the beach
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank canadians127
Dear Canadians 127

In the name of the staff of Iberostar Daiquiri I would like to thank you for choosing our resort. I am glad you enjoyed your stay but would have liked that you had a wonderful vacation with us. I appreciate your comments regarding our rooms, our staff and our beach. I can assure you we are always working towards our customers satisfaction as it is our priority number 1.

uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

the best all inclusive hotel we've been by far,
the food and drink was A1
service was A!
the rooms could have done with a lick of paint
only bad thing was the mossis

Room Tip: beach view ground level
1 Thank bigden1
Dear Mr. Bigden:
Thank you for sharing your experience in our hotel Iberostar Daiquiri. We are pleased to know you had a great vacation in our resort and that we met and exceeded your expectations regarding food, drink and services.
We hope to be able to welcome you once more in the future!
Wallasey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

Awesome staff at this hotel. Bar staff in reception area were superb. Food was brilliant - couldn't really fault it. Drinks were generously dispensed! Hotel was lovely with great reception areas and nice pools. Entertainment was very good but not to everyone's taste - be prepared to join in! Hotel rooms were clean but dated - needs modernising especially the bathroom. Air con was rubbish however in our room but that might just have been that room. Would deffo recommend and would like to go back.

Room Tip: Pick one facing the sea/beach if you can and go on the top floor
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank dbt999
Dear Mr. DBT999:

I would like to thank you for staying with us in our resort. We are glad you shared with us and the on-line community your opinion regarding your vacation.
It honors us to learn you had contributed in offering you a great vacation with us and we hope to see you again in Iberostar Daiquiri.

BXL
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

We stayed in the hotel in May 2011 (trying to catch up with my reviews). The good news first: the hotel has an excellent beach.

The bad news: it is very shabby looking hotel with a poor service (if compared with other destinations in the Caribbean).

Rooms are basic and would need some renovation (see pictures). Paths and walkways needed some repair, too. Grounds were mostly “self-maintained”.

Restaurants – food was very repetitive with limited variety. Often they ran out of several items.

Staff – did not care to work much. Their main objective was to beg for tip and goods. Some returning guests act as “sponsors”, mostly from Canada, were bringing clothing and other stuff for them. And staff did not hesitate to ask directly neither. All this despite that they did not do for guests even basics what they were supposed to do. For example: we went for archery that was supposed to last an hour. There were 4 guests, they allow us to use 3 arrows each and we were done in 20 minutes. When we requested to continue they refused but asked for a tip. The worst were the animators in this respect. On 2 occasions we were ignored by one animator, she had no interest to “waste” time with us. However, some days later she invited herself to sit with us during dinner and asked us to give her our clothes and cosmetics upon our departure.

Bring with you all you need: we ran out of sunscreen. The local stuff, only thing available, did not work and was probably dangerous to use. We used our daughter’s but it was UV50, way too strong for us.

I guess that all these problems are a result of the socialist experiment and are not specific only for this hotel. Many people find it romantic in a way. But we will probably not return to Cuba. Only positive was the fantastic beach.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Piskotik
Liverpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2012

I have been to resort 5 times now in 3 different hotels so what I am about to say is not because I didn't know what to expect.
First the room smelt this was because the air con leaked, an engineer called in. he ripped the plastic roof down causing a very large pool of dirty stagnant water to pour down , this pool had all kinds of bits and bugs in it dead of course .he left saying the chambermaid (his words) will clean up the mess. the pool of water cut off my route to the door and bath room no maid came after over a hour I rang reception explaining I had booked a meal in Cuban restraunt and could not get to shower after another 55 mins wait a maid called grabbed my clean bath towels and proceeds to mop up the mess ending with a wipe over with a squidgy mop, I tried to explain I had no towels and I was late for my meal she said she will bring me them I waited half an hour and I eventually used a blue beach towel.
When I stepped in shower/bath I slipped causing a very large painful knee and leg injury . I went to the restraunt to eat as I missed the Cuban meal. I noticed blood on my napkin then realised the glass I had been drinking from had a chip out and I had sliced my lip I reported this to restraunt staff who showed me how sorry they where, but next morning I was given another chipped glass which i then complained about formally
meanwhile my husband had been suffering from bouts of diahorria I had antiseptic wipes as I went to wipe toilet I was horrified the toilet was filthy around hinges and then on closer inspection under the rim oh my god ( I videoed this) I went to see Roberto (Thomas cook Rep) who appeared to be trying to explain this is not like England and these are old toilets and hard water And these marks would not come off. I told him I know this hotel was only 12-13 years old as I had been here when it first opene I also explained my husband is diebetic and can not afford to be unwell as keeping his food down is seriouse to me .we where using the lobby toilet as they appeared cleaner than our room but never any toilet paper or soap we had to take soap and paper back and forward. I received a bottle of sparkling wine but no apology from management.
The was one morning a cockroach was alive in my husbands bed. I caught it in a glass. I rang reception who said they would send someone to take it away two hours later i went to Roberto (rep) who sent some one to remove it.
We got a bottle of rum in our rooms that night but again no apology from management. All of our party had been bitten by Mosquitos and ants but One of my party had been bitten by somthing else she had to go to the doctor every day she had antibiotics , antiestamine creams then 3x injections the lumps where huge hot to the touch the size of an egg and two inch red ring around this she was so unwell and in pain we believe these where cockroach bites .i have videos and photo's of all these complaints the rooms where ok but the fridge was filthy. The bath was stained and had holes in some filled in some not the shower head was filthy and only spat on you I asked for a slipmat and was told via Roberto that bath mats are unhygienic and they only give slip mats on request (now that was a joke if u looked at the state of the bath and toilet in the room)
The staff as in all Cuban hotels are doing the best they can to ensure we have a perfect holiday they are wonderful people but this is probably the last time I will go to Cuba I paid over £6,000 for my party of 6 and even after paying for excursions in the hotel that where 2-3 times more
expensive than they where just two years
ago We had cue from the dining room to the pool area to eat most nights due to there only being 310 rooms and 1,300. Guests there where only 3x tables in lobby bar under 3 fans the rest of the
lobby was stifling and very uncomfortable also reported where the lack of hand soap toilet paper hand towels and dryer broken in lobby bar toilets every night .staff at reception said the cleaners put these things in every morning at 8am this was only 7.30 pm so what are guests surposed to do until morning I was told to use the facilities in my own room .
the coolest place was the theatre where the shows where excellent but where if u wanted a very uncomfortable stainless steel type chair you had to be there at 7pm and sit for 2.5 hrs before a show started as the hotel was full overbooked in fact. no my first perfect holiday in 2000 is a very distant memory now And I feel the management of this hotel are not guest friendly and I would not have made this report had they spoken to me .

• Stayed June 2012
4 Thank Daisyardis
Dear Mrs. Daisyardis:

On behalf of the management of our hotel I would like to extend my most sincere apologies for the incidents you had in our resort. Your representative made us aware of the incident you had with the chipped glass as well for the incident with the cleaning of your room, same that was revised with your housekeeper. Our room division manager went the same afternoon she got the report to your room to take the mat for the bathtub and she double checked your cleaning in order to avoid further incidents, at the time you were not in the room as it was a bit past mid-day. Our guest service executive did try several times to touch base with you, on behalf of the management he sent the amenities for the inconveniences you had during your stay.

We apologize if you felt we were not guest friendly towards you, we are always in the hotel with our office doors open and constantly talking with customers during dinner time and in the lobby bar in order to check how their holiday has been, on the same hand we do a repeat customer get together and an English customer’s get together so you can meet and greet with other clients and the management, events which I believe you didn’t assist.

We appreciate your feedback we took immediate action with our management team and we are working towards improving our services.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

Booked two weeks at this hotel 14th - 28th June 2012 worst two weeks of my life. This hotel needs blowing out the solar system!!!!

Room - No air con for the whole two weeks - Beds hardly changed and linen so old it was more like tissue paper - bed bugs - Shower didnt work - fridge kept everything HOT, ceiling plaster falling all over the bed and my partner -tv hardly ever worked.

Pool - never cleaned for two weeks - broken glass at bottom - crabs in there every morning - sunbeds never cleaned and in need of replacements - lack of sun shades - towels are so tired they are all ripped and stained, and your lucky to get them changed everyday.

Dining - every meal was cold - no choice - bland food - queue to enter restaurants then queue to get food - food ran out constantly a la cart restaurants served same food as main restaurants - we lived on pasta and pizza every day.

Bar - not enough seating

Beach - sun beds disgusting - beach never cleaned - not enough sun shades

All in all I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. We have stayed in this chain of hotels before and were delighted but this one is certainly a let down. There is absolutely nothing to do or see for miles unless you pay for trips.

The mozzies are unbelievable I was bitten beyond belief after using the highest possible deet on the market so be prepared!!!!

This hotel and staff are in desperate need of a total refurb

Room Tip: Try for the higher rooms away from the mozzies and mangroves and ask for rooms near the restaurant.s...
3 Thank SHERYLL M
Dear Mrs. Shezzer46:
Firstly I would like to thank the time you took in writing your review.
We apologize the perception you took back home from our resort and the incidents you had during your stay.

All our rooms get revised by maintenance before the arrival of new clients, and I’m sure that if the incidents you had were reported to customer service, our staff would have been glad to help you out or changed rooms so you would enjoy your vacation. Regarding our food selection, we have a menu roll for 2 weeks, I apologize if you felt the variety was not of your taste, our Chef is every day during the service of the 3 meals revising the standards and the replenishment of the buffet.

During the dates of your stay the hotel was at is total capacity and as most of the clients take their dinner around the same time, the management gathers in the main buffet to help clients be seated and tables prepared for families to avoid disrupting customers and I can assure you that no client waited for more than 10 minutes to get a clean, prepared table to have dinner.

I will discuss your feedback with the management team as your comments are greatly appreciated in order to improve our standards and our services.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cayo Guillermo
Melia Cayo Coco
#1 of 12 in Cayo Coco
4.5 of 5 bubbles 5,876 reviews
Memories Flamenco Beach Resort

Been to IBEROSTAR Daiquiri? Share your experiences!