“Lorena y Pedro LOVE Cuba!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of IBEROSTAR Daiquiri

IBEROSTAR Daiquiri
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Cayo Guillermo
Kitchener, Canada
“Lorena y Pedro LOVE Cuba!”
Reviewed April 6, 2011

I just returned yesterday from a week-long stay with my 30 year old son. I was afraid he would be bored, as Cayo Guillermo is in the middle of nowhere, but I couldn't have been more wrong. The recreation staff is always looking for people to play games or sports, there are paddleboats, kayaks, a FANTASTIC beach and excursions to take if you want. I don't usually enjoy the shows at night at resorts, but the dancers were phenomenal; they were being filmed for television one night. The comedy night was hilarious, especially the skit done to Enya's "Sail Away". The lobby bar is always a good place to meet and socialize and the staff was helpful and very pleasant. We rented a car and had our wonderful Cuban friend take us to Moron and Ciego de Avila, which we really enjoyed, as we wanted to see the real Cuba. I guess maybe the only thing missing was a clock-radio in the room, but we needed a wake-up call and had no problem getting it. Please don't forget to tip generously; Cubans are hard workers and deserve it. I will definitely go back to the Iberostar Daiquiri!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the lobby area. And tip.
  • Stayed April 2011
3 Thank aficionadoalcine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (530)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Montreal
Reviewed April 3, 2011

First trip to Cuba and we may return this year again. The service was great and happy hour by the pool while everyone was getting ready for diner was the best!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
London, Ontario
Reviewed April 3, 2011

I just returned from a week long vacation in Cuba where I stayed at Iberostar Daiquiri resort with a friend and our 5 year old daughters. I am a travel agent and travel quite a lot and to be honest I expected a little more from this resort...Our room was tired and the bed was so uncomfortable that my back was very sore for most of the stay. The front desk staff was the worst I have ever experienced. When I tried to call the front desk from our room a few times, I was greeted very unfriendly and I was lucky if I got an answer right away because sometimes it took us 4-5 times to get an answer from anyone. At the front desk, the staff is talking amongst themselves or filing their nails before they actually ask if they can help you. The drinks are definitely not the best either. Mojitos and pina coladas are very watered down and don't taste very good...the coffee, however was the best!!!!! Do try to book a few excursions because it can get a little boring in the afternoons. There were a few ants in our room and I got bit by something (beach fleas?). We checked for bed bugs and didn't see any...when we complained about the ants to the front desk, we got a bottle of wine...
The food was ok, better than expected...but all four of us got sick from it at some point. It seemed like some of the meat was undercooked.
The entertainment was unbelievable!! The singers and dancers were very talented and we looked forward to their performances each night. Our girls liked the games and dancing before the shows, they had lots of fun!!
The beach is amazing. I would suggest taking a trip to the Pilar Beach which is one of the most beautiful beaches in Cuba!!
The souvenirs sold by the hotel are very nice and are very well priced. The maids did a great job. Despite some of our bad experiences, I recommend this hotel as my daughter had the time of her life!! It's perfect for families with young children and we felt safe at all times.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Slough, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2011

We had an amazing 2 weeks here. Never a problem with the food, although the buffet had the same food but of a better standard than both the cuban and the italian a la carte, but the mexican was quite good. We didnt get ill at all during our stay. It was quite windy for the 2 weeks we were there so a cardigan definitely comes in handy. The resort could do with some updating in some areas, but nothing too drastic. All the staff are very friendly and couldnt do enough for you. As the hotel is quite far from the mainland, there is nothing to do outside of the hotel in the evenings unless you have planned excursions. This is perfect for those wanting relaxation but dont expect anything else apart from the hotel entertainment (which is of a very good standard, but a lot of dancing, singing and scantily clad ladies ;) )

If you are thinking of going to Havana, its definitely worth it! We were in 2 minds about going, but we decided to as it was unlikely we would go back to Cuba (we like to see new countries each year) and didnt want to go all that way and not experience the capital. Thomas Cook did a flight and overnight stay, and entry to Tropicana for about 300 pesos per person. This wasnt really for us due to having just been on a 9 hour flight, but also as there was an itinerary which Thomas Cook has put together, so we looked into other options. We were put in touch with a local tour guide called Yoel, who met us at the hotel to talk to us about what we wanted to do. It sounded much better than flying ( a lot of wasted time waiting to check in, and adhering to the set itinary, so we agreed a price which matched Thomas Cook, including 1 nights accommodation. We gave him half the amount before as a deposit, and the rest once we got to Havana. Below is what we did to give you an idea:

Yoel met us early on a Friday morning (approx 5am) in the hotel lobby and we drove to Havana, going through lots of local cuban villages (such as Moran, Ciego De Avila and Santa Clara amongst others - which i noticed featured in other Thomas Cook excursions which obviously cost even more), stopping off to look at local houses, cigar factory, and stopped off at a local cuban house to have some food - amazing rice, beans, pork, Yuca - the best meal of our stay in Cuba! We got to Havana about 11am - 6 hour road trip (stopping in service stations was essential but bring your own tissues!) Once in Havana Yoel showed us all the sights, cigar factory, do anything we wanted to do/see, give us some time alone as well, and then our choice in the evening. We wanted to see a typical Cuban night out so we went to see the latest big group out there called Sexto Sentido, which was fab, and then went onto a bar to see a 50s cuban music revival show with Tony Jimenez and some of the other old school Buena Vista Social Clube guys which featured lots of singing and dancing, both on stage and the audience. Yoel met us outside and then drove us back to where we were staying.

He had arranged for us to stay in a 'Casa Particular' - basically a bed and breakfast - which only cost 15 pesos each, and was actually of a better standard than the hotel - double bed which was nice, en suite, water in fridge, safe, air con etc. No hairdryer though!.

Yoel then met us in the morning to see other parts of Havana, before driving back to the hotel at about 1pm, but going back a different route to see even more of Cuban life. We even stopped off at his house in Moran to use his bathroom - it was really great to see inside a cuban house, and again i noticed Thomas Cook do an excursion to Moran to see a locals house and the village, but charged 40 pesos!

The trip to Havana with Yoel far exceeded our expectations and i felt we saw everything we wanted to - and more - and was unbelievable value for money considering all we did/saw. Whats more, Yoel was very good company, spoke exceptional english, and understood when to give us some time alone or to show us something.

We also did a 1/2 day snorkelling catamaran trip which was 37 pesos. It was good but the waves made it hard to snorkel - we may have just been unlucky with the weather or something. We made 2 stops, the first one it was choppy and it wasnt much fun, but the second stop was by an island so much more sheltered - and we enjoyed this a lot more. As we had never snorkeled before, it was a bit tricky getting the hang of it. Snorkel equipment is provided and option of lunch if need be. All drinks were included.

Pilar Beach - wow - get a taxi from hotel, 5 pesos each, to Pilar Beach. (make sure it isnt too windy though). Amazing, unspoilt beach with turquoise sea and white sand.

Iberostar wont dissapoint and defaintely consider the excursions.

Yoel doesnt work at the hotel but will arrange to meet you there if you ask a rep. Might be worth taking his number if you were interested: 0053 52405286. The Casa particular we stayed in was run by Cary and Nilo - lovely couple, make you feel very welcome. Yoel would organise this for you but their number is 0053 78627109.

Enjoy!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank GreatXpectation
oakville
Reviewed April 2, 2011

We just returned from a week at the Iberostar Daiquiri staying there from March 23rd to the 30. Like most "all inclusive resorts" the Iberostar has its good and bad points. I believe that your experience at each resort depends a little on luck and your own personal expectations from the resort. When we were leaving, we met a couple who has been coming to this resort for the past 4 years. This trip wil be their fifth!! All in all, we had a good time and enjoyed our week.

Staff: a great group of people. all were very helpful, courteous and there to make our stay a good one. Everyone from the reception, the housekeeping, the grounds, the waiters, and the security staff were there to help. And most of them spoke English, which was a big plus! We did tip. Everyone we tipped were so grateful for any extra pesos.

Rooms: needed a facelift but it was fine. We saw no bugs at all. The water was hot and we had good pressure. If you don't like to climb stairs, ask for a room on the ground floor since there are no elevators. Also, if you need to charge anything electricial, bring a convertor. The resort has 220v ..the front desk will charge your camera battery for you. The safety deposit box was a big issue for us. We paid $15 CND for a safe that was a little bigger than a shoe box. We could not get our notebook computer and camera into the safe at the same time. And it locks with a key!!!! so where does one hide a tiny key??? very annoying. We tipped our housekeeper every day and she was so appreciative.

Buffet: it was ok. there was a lot of salads but we are a little wary of lettuce and cold cuts. The hot stuff was never really hot. but for the most part there was always something for you to eat . But the buffet room was small and the lay out for lining up was not very good. You could not access the buffet because of people waiting for the grill...just bad planning. We did go to the Cuban a la carte restaurant. and I am sorry to say but it was one of the worse ever a la carte places we have ever been to!! it was just terrible. After that we decided not to try the other 2 restaurants.

Pool: It was quite windy for the week and in the afternoons we had to abandon the beach and go up to the pool. It was difficuly to find chairs and shady spots at that time of day. The pool area and the pool inself are quite small. But great children's pool!

Entertainment: The crew did a fanastic job with the nightly shows. The Black Light show was amazing. Most of the dancers are ballet dancers and they performed beautifully. Also, the show included children who were there for the week and they participated in at least 3 of the shows. They loved it! BUT...the music was unbearably loud!!! It was beyond loud. it was a health hazard!! The poor bartenders have to endured this noise. If they stay in their jobs, I am sure they will be deaf in a few years. Do they have a Union to help them???? These young people are super talented, but tone down the noise, please!

The Beach: I can say that this beach was one of the best beaches that we have ever been to! The white sand stretched for miles and the waters were warm and crystal clear. They swept the beach every morning to clean it. The Security guards helped with the chairs and they watched your towels when you went for a walk! I would go back for the beach!!

We did take a taxi to Pilar Beach. It was lovely. We stayed about an hour and half. For us that was enough although some people came for the day.

We had a good time at the Iberostar. I think it is probably the best resort in the Guillermo area.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the main lobby
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ON09
Oakville, Canada
Reviewed April 1, 2011

This beach by far is one of the best I've ever seen, the resort was great, the food, staff (friendly) the rooms could use some renovations. The weather was awesome, the kids enjoyed the mini disco, bingo and mini club.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Toronto
Reviewed March 31, 2011

My boyfriend and I wanted to go on a trip somewhere in the carribean where neither one of us had been before. We didn't want to spend a lot so we were very happy when we each paid under $1,000 taxes in for our trip. Everyone warned me about the food and I really appreciated the warnings because I think if I wasn't warned I would have been a lot more disappointed. Because I knew what I was getting into, the food really wasn't that bad. It was edible and it didn't make either of us sick. Some of the things they offered I actually really liked! Like their pizza- it was amazing! The food really wasn't bad tasting it was just bland. So if you can get over that I would really recommend this place! The beach is amazing and the ocean is great to swim in. Not too cold and not too choppy, The pool and poolbar were amazing. We spent pretty much every day by the pool. The service is exceptional! If you tip, you'll really be taken care of. Even if you don't tip, I am sure the service will be just as amazing. The rooms were clean and every room has its own balcony with a table and chairs. The water pressure and amount of hot water, we never had a problem with and I take really long showers. I'll also point out that we would shower right before dinner when everyone else was showering too. The grounds were very nice as well. The nightly shows the entertainment staff put on were pretty damn impressive. Aside from the food, my only wish would have been better night life. Not many people stayed out to dance at the disco after the shows were done, but that had it's perks too. It made for a very relaxing vacation with hardly any annoying, young, drunks and hardly any annoying, crying children. All in all, the vacation was perfect and I would go back in a second! I would recommend this resort to families, couples, and older people but I think if a big group of young people looking to party went, they might be disappointed. Keep in mind, I am only basing that on the one week I was there in late March.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Melia Cayo Coco
Melia Cayo Coco
#1 of 12 in Cayo Coco
Memories Flamenco Beach Resort

Been to IBEROSTAR Daiquiri? Share your experiences!