“Absolutely Yes!”

Cuisines: Caribbean
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 12, 2014

Consistently great. My new fave place to eat. Excellent service and food, and friendly and accommodating staff.

There are newer reviews for Shakers Bar & Grill

Reviewed April 4, 2014

In visiting my folks this year (who are lucky enough to spend three months in Barbados every year), we ventured out to this place during my first week of holidays as my folks heard good things about it and it was only about 4 blocks away.

Two of us ordered the battered catch of the day while the third of us ordered some ribs. I have to say, we all quite enjoyed what we ate. The portions were plentiful and tasty. We enjoyed it so much that before leaving we booked another reservation for my last day the following week.

And, yes, our second meal was just as good as the first. I again ordered the battered catch of the day (this time it was dolphin fish though I can't remember what it was the first time) so it is nice that they do change the catch of the day.

RESERVATIONS

This is an absolute must. Seriously, if you don't have a reservation, I would not show up and expect getting a table as it likely isn't going to happen. We were advised that you probably had to make a reservation at least 3-4 days in advance of going and as the restaurant opens at 6pm, it is pretty full by 6:30pm. Maybe it dies down later, I don't know, but just save yourself some disappointment and make a reservation.

PRICE

This can be both a cheap and expensive night out. The cost of the battered catch of the day is, I believe $25 BBD (so $12.50 USD) so it is quite affordable. Beer is also relatively cheap. Wine, not so much. On our first visit with three meals, a bottle of wine and dessert, and tip, I think we were close to $200 BBD. Our second visit without dessert and just beer (of which only two of us had two) was about half that.

In terms of what it costs to eat out for dinner in Barbados, a $100 BBD for three people is a steal so not only are you getting a good meal, it isn't one that will break the bank.

SERVICE

On the service front, I say maybe 50/50. The first time we were there I wouldn't say it was bad but I wouldn't say outstanding either. Our second visit, with a different waitress, was a bit better in that she was a bit more attentive.

AMBIENCE

While the food may be good and affordable, this really isn't a fancy place. Most of the table are outdoors on a slanted service and if you sit near the exterior and it rains, I'm pretty sure you will get wet (though this didn't happen to us). This isn't to say its bad as its not, just don't expect anything fancy.

All in all, I would definitely recommend going and I'll go back if I ever get to go back to Barbados. Again, make a reservation!

1  Thank Fr3lncr
Reviewed April 1, 2014

We're regulars to Barbados and we visit Shakers at least twice during our visits, even when we're staying on the other side of the Island, it's well worth the trip to the South.
Nothing fancy at Shakers, there's a great atmosphere, fairly loud conversation and lots of eating - usually the diners are regulars... The menu is not big [which is good], the food is well cooked, extremely tasty and there's plenty of it. The ribs are excellent, so is the 'fish of the day' and so are the belt-loosening deserts.
The service is fast, professional and friendly.
Don't worry about the 'off the main drag' location - it's as if Shakers just landed in a residential road - which makes it all the more special, not to mention easy to park!

Reviewed March 28, 2014

Had a lovely meal here with my wife. Nice menu and reasonably priced. Would reccommend making a booking as its always busy. Turn up the side of Bubba's bar, walk for a few minutes and you see Shakers lit up on the road on the left. Great place to eat.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

An upmarket rum shack is how the owners describe this little gem just up the cost road from Bubbas / ScotiaBank. We tried this last night; a short walk from our hotel (Coral Mist - also good). Whilst the menu may not be as varied as you might see in the most expensive restaurants on the boardwalk this does not deflect from the fact that the attention to detail to everything from the starter to the fish courses ( choice of battered or grilled ) to my fabulous steak was absolutely paramount for the kitchen staff. Yes we had to wait a few minutes for our table to be ready but it was well worth it. Recommended by Richard, Christine, Pat and Harry!