“Best restaurant in St Lawrence Gap”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Chez Max - CLOSED

Chez Max
Cuisines: European, French, Caribbean, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Waitstaff
Leamington Spa, UK
“Best restaurant in St Lawrence Gap”
Reviewed August 21, 2014

We are staying at Ocean Two and have eaten at most of the restaurants along The Gap for the last fortnight. We ate at Chez Max tonight and the experience was so much better than any of the rest.
We went for the 3 course Table d'Hote for $BB69 and the food was superb. My wife went for the Watermelon Gazpachio (with a kick!) and the stuffed chicken leg -absolutely delicious. I went for a superb sea food crepe and the marlin steak which was so juicy and tasty. The meals are excellently presented (I like some colour and panache on my plate) with a wide selection of vegetables - which I can't name! Portions are ample and I do have a good appetite. The chocolate mousse cake we both had for dessert was very light and beautifully presented with swirls of chocolate and cream. Did I mention the free appetizer and fresh warm bread and tampenade?
The restaurant location is perfect with tables above the beach at the Gap and the background music blends with the lapping of the waves on the sand.
The service was excellent and Max, the Swiss chef, came over to ask our opinions on the food - we had no criticisms for him.
Highly recommended!! I have only given 4 stars for atmosphere as the restaurant was quiet when we were there. This restaurant deserves more business!!

• Visited August 2014
4 Thank Hurrybackhome

Port of Spain, Trinidad
“Great Gourmet Dining”
Reviewed August 4, 2014

The location is great, the view while you dine is divine, the staff is friendly and efficient and the ambience is wonderful! Of course the most important ... the food was scrumptious ! We enjoyed every bit of the meal! A lovely touch is that the super nice Chef, Max , came to our table to make sure everything was to our liking.

• Visited January 2014
7 Thank Salima2000
New York City, New York
“Very tasty”
Reviewed July 31, 2014 via mobile

- Very friendly personnel,
- great dining area right on the water
- nice menu with a variety of options from seafood (shark!!!) to meat
- chef Max is very friendly and came to the table to provide information on the meals

Overall, a very nice experience!

5 Thank pacia79
“Best restaurant in Barbados”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

This was by far the best meal I had in Barbados and it was about the same price as the other restaurants in St Lawrence Gap. I ordered the Marlin which was perfectly cooked and the portion was much larger than usual. Everything on my plate was well prepared and tasty. The desert was an amazing chocolate mousse cake which had several layers, each with a slightly different taste and different texture. The restaurant is right on the water, the view is beautiful.

I lived in Manhattan for 40 years and I have dined in a lot of fine restaurants. This was one of the most delicious meals I ever had.

• Visited July 2014
6 Thank GoldenMartini
“Chez Max a must when in Barbados”
Reviewed July 20, 2014

We had been urged by friends to go to Chez Max on our trip to Barbados, as it was not a dining experience to be missed.
Chez Max didn't disappoint. Situated on a beautiful beach at the end of the st. Lawrence gap, Chez Max is a hidden gem on Barbados. They have several menu options to choose from, a 3 course menu which includes appetizer, main course and dessert, a regular menu and a new "re-discover Barbados" menu for two that includes a bottle of wine.
Dinner starts with delicious home made bread and tapanade, as well as a tiny starter that our waiter says is changed daily. We were given a dish called nigiri made with marlin. it had a bite of wasabi in it and the fish was melt in your mouth soft.
My wife and i decided to order from the main menu. I had the conch fritters to start and my wife had the island style lobster cake. It started the meal off just right, the flavors of these dishes were amazing. Sadly they were so delicious we ate them really quickly and didn't take the time to savour them.
I had the red snapper crusted in pink peppercorns with an orange scented basmati rice and my wife decided on the NY steak. My fish was tender and flaky with not even a hint of dryness. The flavours were complimentary and incredible. Who would have thought that orange flavored rice would be good? IT IS!
My wife's steak was cooked to perfection and the herb butter a perfect addition to the steak. She says she's never going to eat steak without herbed butter again.
Our server, Jimmy,was delightful. Quiet and professional, he was always there to top up our water or wine, but not obtrusive the way some waiters can be.
The overall experience was so good we decided to go there again on our last night in Barbados.
Again,Chez Max did NOT disappoint.
We had a different server this time, a young lady called Deborah, who was just as professional and competent as Jimmy. (I think Chez Max somehow found the best servers on the island)
This time our tiny dish was a sushi roll with spicy crab. very tasty!
My wife had the 3 course menu which started with either a cold watermelon soup flavoured with gin OR seafood crepe and she chose the crepe which was so good she almost didn't share it with me. I had the mussels marinara that had a robust flavoured sauce with a hint of spice. My wife then chose the grilled marlin with a mango and papaya salad and again the fish was perfectly cooked, the salsa a wonderful counterpoint to the marlin.
I chose the Caribbean cordon bleu, a chicken stuffed with ham, mango and cheese. Tender and juicy I was impressed with how well the mango worked in this dish! I've had a regular cordon bleu before, but this was by far the best I've ever tasted.
My wife had the chocolate mousse cake, hand made by Chef Max. Airy and decadent, I can't get over how good that cake was. I had a fruit salad and it tasted like it had all been picked earlier that day, the fruit was so fresh.
Chef Max came by to see us after we'd finished our meal. A jovial and pleasant man.
All in all, if you're coming to Barbados you MUST come to Chez Max!

• Visited July 2014