“Excellent quality and value”
Review of Chez Max - CLOSED

Chez Max
Cuisines: Caribbean, European, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 29, 2014

We tried Chez Max not knowing what to expect. We were pleasantly surprised! The staff, service and food were all excellent. I highly recommend this water front treasure just off St Lawrence Gap.

4  Thank Diane D

Reviewed January 29, 2014

Every night of my two week vacation I got harassed by a woman trying to get me to go in chez max, she does not give up even when you tell her she's already spoken to you, she follows you about with a menu and a light, telling you the same story over and over, she needs to get off of st lawrence gap, pure annoyance

2  Thank Rachel b
Reviewed January 28, 2014

We have been in Barbados for a couple of weeks now on an extended vacation and as foodies, have eaten in a different "top spot" restaurant each day. We chose Chez Max based on the good reviews it had ignoring the few bad ones. Patience and care is required in getting into Chez Max not due to it being booked but due to the lack of a walkable sidewalk in front and the traffic flow. Once inside however, comes the reward. A beautiful small restaurant right on the ocean. Open windows, sea breeze, boats bobbing in the moonlight. Linen table cloths, flickering candles. You get the picture.

The staff were friendly and service was attentive.

Amuse bouche was terrific. We had the red snapper and the curry shrimp as mains. Both were outstanding. The curry sauce was hardly traditional with a hint of coconut and banana and was so delightful that we concluded it would go good with anything including cereal.

Chef Max visited each table and was a delight to talk to. He spent years in Canada as an executive chef. If you're in the area don't miss this one.

4  Thank LBT2014
Reviewed January 15, 2014

My boyfriend and I visited Barbados last week and on our last night on the island we decided to try Chez Max. I had heard good things about it so we decided to try it. Once we walked into the restaurant we were greeted by nothing but rudeness. Our server didnt smile when WE said hello to her, she seemed bothered by us being sat in her section, and bluntley asked us if we were ready to order 1 minute after sitting down. After noticing her terrible attitude we still decided to stick it out and give it a try anyway. After a few minutes she came back and I ordered a glass of wine and when my boyfriend said he was just going to stick with water for the night she immediately got annoyed and told us that when she came back with my glass of wine that we were going to be ready to order. When she returned with my glass of wine I told her we were almost ready but I was just wanting to see what her recommendations were. She grunted at my question, rolled her eyes and said everything on the menu was great. We went ahead and ordered our entrees and again the server got an attitude because we werent going to get an appetizer. Both my boyfriend and myself were both servers at steakhouses through college and I can say that I have never treated one of my tables with the amount of disrespect that we got within just 5 minutes of being in Chez Max. Dont waste your time eating here. We decided to speak with the manager to let him know that we just wanted to pay for our glass of wine and leave. DONT waste your time going here! I wouldnt recommend it to anyone. Go across the street and eat at Moon Bay--we were greeted instantely with a great smile and amazing service...and the Mahi Mahi was phenominal.

1  Thank Britt W
Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

A lovely place with good fare. The staff works hard to see you are happy. The food was good for Monday night efforts. Enjoy the water front vista and sound of the Ocean!

5  Thank Icantdrive65