“Wonderful experience!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

South Gap Hotel
Miami, Florida
“Wonderful experience!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

I loved Barbados and the hotel. the staff is very friendly. Barbados for me was an ideal place to travel alone. people are friendly,i felt safe wherever I went. I love Friday night at Oisten's fish market, where everybody dances.
Swimming with the turtles was another wonderful experience. Going around the island is a lovely experience and enjoying jazz on Saturday or Sunday sunset in St.Lawrence is a wonderful opportunity to met people enjoying the view and the music!!!! Barbados is a worth traveling destination!!!!! =)

Room Tip: No need to use air conditioning, nice to sleep with door open and listening to the sound of the sea
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Delfina812

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Czech first
Trinidad
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

As this was my first visit to the island for a birthday celebration for my sister-in law who received from the hotel a bottle of wine for this occasion, this hotel was in the best location- St. Lawrence Gap. Food, drinks, people friendly, night life (superb). The hotel was excellent in everything with very friendly, helpful staff. On a ratio of 1-10 as a visitor to other Caribbean countries I will rate Barbados a 10 (beaches -super great).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank CherrieAnn J
Barbados
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

I promised my nephew a staycation during the summer vacation. I wanted a hotel that was cosy, comfortable, peaceful and relaxing and at the same time one that my nephew would enjoy. South Gap more than delivered. A poolside room and tv catered to my nephew....as long as he could play in the pool all day, eat and drink he was in heaven. As for me, I loved the tranquility and the service. Staff went out of their way to simply check that we were comfortable. The restaurant was excellent, happy-hours were brilliant and above all the bill was reasonable. And don't be fooled by the location- even though the hotel is in the heart of St. Lawrence Gap, unless you go out to the street you don't even know that loud parties are going on all around you.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Fay-Marie A
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

We chose this hotel as it is in the thick of it!
The hotel itself is based right on St Lawrence Gap which is where all the night life is so can get some noise from the local bars and restaurants, if you don't like meeting locals and enjoying getting out, eating great food don't go! But it would be a great shame if you miss out.
The hotel is possibly in need of some modernisation, it's immaculately kept, has wonderful helpful staff (especially the reception girls) and every room has a balcony looking straight out over the gorgeous Caribean sea. The rooms have a fridge freezer, two ring hob, utensils, iron and board, microwave and hairdryer. There are beach towels and safe available for a small deposit.
There are plenty of taxis around to get around the island and buses at the end of the road for 2 Barbados for any journey.
The pool is nice and there are plenty beds to relax and enjoy the view out to sea, there is a beach a short walk away if that is what you want and the hotel bar is well stocked!
There is a bank opposite for exchanging cash and a church a two minute walk.
In all I would definitely recommend this hotel as a great base to explore this wonderful island, thank you for helping us enjoy our stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank werenotstoppingin
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

We decided to spend eight days at the South Gap Hotel before travelling to the tranquility of Antigua & Barbuda. The hotel was equipped with: Air conditioning; a two burner hob; microwave; fridge and cable television.

We choose the South Gap, because it was based in the St Lawrence Gap, which is in close proximity to many nightclubs, local beaches, excellent bars and restaurants. There was also an ATM directly opposite, with a bank across the road.

Once we'd settled in, we decided to have dinner at the hotel's 'Tropical Mist' restaurant. I opted for the Spicey Hot Bajan Wings (that made my eyes water), followed by Mahi Mahi with rice. My partner enjoyed a delicious Caribbean prawn cocktail starter, and a chicken salad for her main.

The only day that we had to stay indoors was when tropical storm 'Bernesco' decided to visit briefly. However, the reservations manageress, Monique Harewood kept all her guests informed (and she even showed us a special room that kept all the hotels emergency provisions).

Our rooms were cleaned on a regular basis, and the towels were virtually changed every day.

The South Gap Hotel is not for you if you want peace and quiet, but for fun, great food, and dancing the night away, then this is a good choice. ... I'll definitely go back again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Chris S
St. George's, Grenada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

Though I've visited Barbados many times, this was my first stay at South Gap Hotel. The establishment is fairly small compared to other hotels I've stayed at, but the service is warm and personal. What was striking for me is that your breakfast is made for you - not something from a buffet. I also liked the fact that the hotel is situated in an area (on the GAP) where there is a fair amount of night life, especially on Friday night, but the noise in the streets are filtered before it gets to the room. I had a room on the sea side and I liked falling asleep and waking up to the sound of the waves.

Room Tip: Rooms with a sea view (away from the road) are fairly quiet except for the natural, soothing sounds...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Nicole B
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

First of all I have to say a huge thanks to the staff at South Gap - I was one of those 'annoying' customers who couldn't confirm my travel dates and had to keep changing my plans at a very busy period during the Crop Over festivities. They were all extremely patient and helpful before and during my stay, and despite me being such a nuisance they gave me a free upgrade when I needed to stay an extra night!
I was on a business trip for a conference and was just looking for accommodation on the island to suit my tight budget, so I was very pleasantly surprised by the excellent value for money offered by South Gap. The hotel is in a great location if you want to really be in the middle of things - easy access to both Bridgetown and Oistins and its literally on the doorstep of the clubs, bars and restaurants along St Lawrence Gap (so no taxi fares!)
Its not 5-star accommodation but the rooms have everything you need for self-catering and are kept really clean with a daily maid service.
Noise has never been an issue with me so the 'singing' from the nearby Karaoke bar didn't bother me at all, but it can get very loud at times. Because I had to chop and change so much I stayed in 2 different rooms and the 1-bedroom apartment on the ground floor was actually closer to the noisy area but I couldn't hear it from there so they probably have some sort of sound-proofing on the lower floors.
In a nutshell, South Gap Hotel is a great place to stay and they have a really high standard of customer care which goes a long way in my book. I had a very enjoyable stay there and I shall definitely be returning!

Room Tip: If noise is an issue check with the staff which are the quieter rooms - I tried a ground floor room...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Coconut Court Beach Hotel
Coral Mist Beach Hotel
Coral Mist Beach Hotel
#1 of 3 in Worthing

Been to South Gap Hotel? Share your experiences!