“Chilled out local gem”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Chilled out local gem”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

We have just returned from a two week holiday staying at the Southern Palms just over the road from Pablo Dontes - this is a small local bar on the chattel house site of the Gap and well worth a visit
A great little bar that we used several times during our trip - for evening drinks, daytime drinks, lunch, supper and the Sunday morning breakfast - an ideal little bar to pop in to.
The Barons Smokehouse menu may be smaller than some but we tried several meals at different times and they were all freshly prepared and equally delicious.
Saturday they have the traditional pudding & souse which is worth a try.
They open for breakfast on a Sunday morning which is a very chilled way to start the day.
Service may be a bit slow for some but this is Bajan time and the staff are very friendly and do everything they can to make your visit enjoyable. The bar is used by locals too which is always a good sign
Nothing is too much trouble, prices are good, beer is cold, food is tasty, music is chilled and if you ask they will put your music requests on.
Overall a great little bar and well worth a visit.

3 Thank lovemarmite

Knutsford, UK
“Disappointing evening”
Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

Well after all the positive reviews I felt this was a must visit place, so we called in about 8pm on a Monday evening - what a disappointment.

The menu is not extensive, with only 6 main course options. So with two of them off, including the only non meat item, the choice was limited. Then they could not even supply garlic bread from the sides on offer - again a limited list of 4 or 5 items. At this point three of our party left, but my wife and I persevered.

When the food came - yes we had the usual Barbadian delay - they brought the wrong dish for my wife. However this was quickly rectified, so obviously the waiter had just picked up the wrong plate. To be fair the food was very tasty, but rather small portions. A rib platter consists of only 4 small baby back ribs.

I have already mentioned the service was slow, but also inefficient. My second beer never did arrive. At this point we gave up.

Overall they let themselves down. Tonight they lost three potential covers, along with our further drinks order. As I am part of a group that will be sending 30+ people to a nearby hotel every night this winter season they have probably lost a lot more business besides as I cannot possibly recommend them when there are so many good options in the immediate area.

Visited November 2013
Canada
“Omg The Barons Smokehouse BBQ!”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

If you are visiting The Gap then you need to visit The Barons Smokehouse at Pablo Dante's.

The restaurant isn't the easiest to find as with everything in Barbados, things aren't that well lit, but I promise you walk to the back of Chattel Village and its on your left hand side.
Take a seat at the outdoor picnic tables and order a drink. Or maybe a couple. (I know a couple people said the service is slow here but for the record service is slow EVERYWHERE in Barbados. It's called 'Bajan Time' and the sooner you get used to it, the sooner you will enjoy more of your vacation.)
For the record I don't eat a lot of meat. It's mostly fish and chicken but I first sampled a rib from someone's Rib platter and it was quite possibly the best BBQ I've ever tasted!! The Baron smokes and BBQs everything on site and if I could recommend a side it would be the mashed potatoes. Completely deelish! As is the coleslaw which is topped with bacon.
The Rib Platter. DO IT! If you're used to North American BBQ then this BBQ will impress. The best BBQ of my life and it came from Barbados.

2 Thank notreallykate
St. Vincent and the Grenadines
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Five star food in a relaxed atmosphere!”
Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

This little intimate restaurant is perfect place to relax while enjoying excellently prepared grilled food! The desserts are to-die-for! The staff are very friendly and engaging! A must-go when you are in Barbados!

1 Thank TMW01
Toronto, Canada
“Slow Service”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

They need to pay more attention to their customers,waited to long for food and drinks!!! Staff seemed to be having a good time though,why should'nt your customers?

4 Thank Ann H