“Perfect place to stay”
Review of Guesthouse Dover

Guesthouse Dover
Reviewed June 6, 2013

What a great find! Firstly the the room was immaculate- so clean and had everything we needed. The guesthouse included the use of a fully equipped kitchen which is incredibly handy when you fancy cooking your own food (if not the restaurants are just around the corner!) The balconey and living room was a great addition and the guesthouse is located in a great area- steps away from the beautiful Dover beach and minutes away from the lively St Lawrence Gap. Brigitte who runs the guesthouse went above and beyond to help and advise us and even picked us up from our previous destination. We felt very comfortable during out stay and we would definitly want to come again. Great value, very friendly atmosphere and a perfect room makes this a real must stay!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Jennie246810

Reviewed April 29, 2013

While in Barbados, I stayed at Guesthouse Dover in the St Lawrence Gap. The guesthouse is very clean, organized, and comes with a full shared kitchen with all utensils necessary to make a meal anytime during the day. There is also satellite television, and a great balcony to eat/ smoke on. It's located right on the Gap, and is just steps away from a gorgeous public beach (Dover Beach), and very close to transit (buses or taxis) that can take you anywhere on the island.
For those looking for an area with great night life, you don't need to look any farther! The guesthouse is a 30 second walk from a great local bar (The Gap Bar), and also a short walk to night clubs and more restaurants. The neighbourhood is extremely safe, and locals are always willing to help you out or strike up a friendly conversation.
The guesthouse is run by a lovely German lady Brigitte, who can lend you some insight on the island, recommend some great things to do and offer general information. Her prices are more than fair, especially with the location. If you're looking for accommodations while in Barbados, Guesthouse Dover is a steal, and is underrated. Definitely a must stay.

Room Tip: If you're travelling with someone else, you can book a room that has two separate beds.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 23, 2013

I needed to find a reasonably priced accomodation which would suit my simple needs in a hurry and I was lucky to find this place! I stayed for 2 nights in which short time Bridgitte and all of her staff from maids to handymen and garderners made me feel like one of the family. I knew from the moment I arrived that this light bright spacious, and mercifully cool house would be perfect for me. The location is excellent! Off the main drag but literally 2 mins from shops, bars, restaurants beach, ATM, public transport and taxis. Only 15 mins away from the airport but comfortably out of the hustle of the capital

It offered some space (just for guests) beyond the privacy of your own room, which included a small comfortable sitting room with a nice little balcony from where you could just sit and enjoy the breeze and watch the world go by on this lovely quiet side road. There is a massive flatscreen TV with full access to digital services, a stereo and a good collection of books on the shelf. They also provide a good size fridge, toaster and coffee making facility so that you dont have to go down through the house in the night, or for breakfast if you dont want to. Although this area and the bathroom is shared, it is only with the occupants of one other room and I never felt that the facilities were over used. It occurs to me that if one was travelling as a family,2 couples or a small group of friends then by taking both rooms you would have sole use of this area, and for this price you just wont find so much space anywhere.

I was very pleased with my room which had a lovely view of the sunset over the nextdoor rooftop and through the palm trees, and another window overlooking the small but sweet back garden. The two guest rooms in this house back onto the rear of the house and nearby gardens so are very peaceful and quiet, this combined with a good comfortable mattress to offer a great nights sleep. Although A/C is offered for a small extra cost to be honest I didnt feel the need of it. The 2 windows (both with screens, so no bugs), ceiling fan and free standing fan were more than adequate. There was also plenty of storage space, and a safebox provided in my room. I was also pleased to find a very good and large full length mirror outside the bathroom.

The hospitality on offer is I believe catered to your own needs, there was a quiet canadian couple who stayed while I was there, they were very self-contained and so were left pretty much to their own devices while I, who was travelling on my own was supported with use of the phone so I could keep in contact with friends I had made. When I couldnt get through Stephanie explained why and pragmatically suggested I send a text Lisa watched me trying to remove stains from a beach coverup and just laughed at my puny efforts, sending me to the beach and taking over she removed what she claimed to be 70% of the stain but I think was really 80%. These little kindnesses came over and above what the guesthouse promises to offer so thanks to all of you.

Bridgitte the german proprietress (27 years in Barbados) is a forthright and no nonsense woman, she is well educated and informed on many subjects and can offer an opinion an any matter. This runs from practical matters like where to buy something or how to find a place to advice on social mores of the island. She can even offer keen insights into local and global economic and political events should you choose to sit and shoot the breeze with her one evening you will find her a very funny and interesting lady who really does have your best interests at heart.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Loved everything about this place. Great location close to dover beach. In the nearby area you will find supermarket, ATM, lots of restaurants with everything from cheap streetfood to fine dining, bars, sugar nightclub, souvenir shops and more. The staff was very friendly and helpful at all times and i would also like to recommend their fantastic tour around the island. Over all i doubt there is a better value for money Barbados.

The rooms are small, but clean and there is lots of shared space.

/Johan & Daniella.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Johan343
Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 8 nights in Brigitte'townhouse, just a few steps from a great, great beach. The house has a 2 bedrooms with share bathroom, so clean we could walk barefoot. We had the room on the left which gave us a good air circulation by the small salon and the balcony. We felt like it was the extention of our small room. Small but comfortable, specially the bed, one of the best of our long travel. We had access to the TV room and the kitchen downstair. On our level we had a fridge, a coffee maker and a toaster to make it easier.
Brigitte gave us all island's informations we needed. She has her rules, if you follow it no problem, you will have a great stay.
We choose to travel from the airport by local bus (1US$ or 2BD$) -Have the right change if you take the Gov. ones - When you get off follow the web site's direction until you pass the Sapphire Apt. Make a left on the 2nd street just by the ATM, follow to the end and to the left, the second double 2 level (duplex) house; the right entry is Brigitte. Don't look for a sign, there is none.
Arriving by night we surch and surch and don't ask to taxi drivers...they don't know...or they don't care. Call if you need, that would be your best. In this case, the nice Stephanie was waiting for us.
My only problem on that week, and I say me, because I am allergic, is the cigarette smokes from the owner and/ or her employees. Sometime it was realy to to much...making my evenings difficult. Otherwise we had a great stay, and we have no problem to recommand the place!
Enjoy Barbados!!!
TRAVEL TIPS
*The tab water is safe to drink and you can have it from the Fridge filter
*On the web site it is mark: free WiFi, but you will have a 10US$ fee that she call registration.
*If you are on a budget and prefer not to cook "Scotties" on the way to the beach on the main street. Some stuff is cheaper than cooking and it taste really good.
*For the best market "Super Save" take a easy walk, 30 min. or take a bus /2BD$

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I am from the states and was traveling to Barbados alone. Upon arrival, I was greeted by one of Guesthouse Dover's wonderfully friendly staff, given a tour of the Guesthouse, and treated with so much care that I couldn't help but to feel apart at home. Not to mention the perfect cleanliness of the guesthouse, excellent references to entertainment and hot spots on the island, and topped off with an in depth most enjoyable tour of the island given by yet another, Guesthouse Dover employee. My plans were to stay at G.D. for two nights and then re locate, though my experience at G.D was so enjoyable, I stayed my entire weeks trip at the Guesthouse. I can't thank the staff enough for being so friendly and helpful. After the week was over, I realized that the location of this Guesthouse was certainly the best place to be; located near restaurants, bars and the beach. Staying at Guesthouse Dover, you will not miss a thing!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 11, 2012

We stayed at the guesthouse when travelling to a friend's wedding. The place was very clean, very simple, and had all necessary basics. Guests have a little lounge area and a balcony with patio furniture, and can use the main kitchen. Considering that the island's beaches are public, we were able to enjoy the island at minimum cost compared to the rest of the group that stayed in big hotels - while still spending time on the same beach with them. It was 4min walk to the beach, and 2 min walk to a supermarket and a local cafe Scotties, with great cheap lunch selection.
Bridgette, the owner, helped with affordable car rental as well.
The only downside to me was the fact that the shower was shared between 4 people, which meant a bit of a wait time, but we managed that quite well by waiting with a cold beer on the balcony...

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
0 mi away
Sandals Barbados
Sandals Barbados
#4 of 8 in St. Lawrence Gap

Been to Guesthouse Dover? Share your experiences!