“I Liked It!”
Review of Rio Guest House

Rio Guest House
Reviewed February 1, 2007

I stayed at the Rio Guesthouse in St. Lawrence Gap for 2 nights in mid January 2007. It's a well-located hostel that costs about $40USD for a single/shared bath or $55USD for a double/private bath. I chose the double/private bath and was happy with my decision. There is no A/C but there is a ceiling fan and two smaller fans. All of the windows had screens.

My only gripes were that the beds were rock solid firm and hot water was not reliable. The place seemed to cater to college aged students but they were reasonably quiet and well behaved.

It's located about a half-block from the super Dover Beach and a short walk to the restaurants and shops of the Gap. The Rio Girls run a good operation and I would recommend a future stay.

• Stayed: January 2007
1  Thank Pigeon_Point_Pops

Reviewed November 8, 2006

Hi my names Darren, and I spent 4 and a half weeks at Rio guest house. I've done quite a bit of travelling in the past and originally planned to travel to different guest houses around Barbados - but I arrived at Rio first and never wanted to go anywhere else. The Rio is situated less than 200m from a lovely beach - where turtles swim really close to U. Theres also some great bars and great people all around - everybodies so relaxed!
The 4 girls that own / run the Rio know what travellers want - they've all travelled all over. They become your friends as soon as U meet them!
The Rio is also a great place to meet people - I met a couple of interesting Jamacians when I was there.
Theres loads to do in Barbados eg Eddies boat (ask the girls), or U can do as little as like eg sit on the beach / in the bar all day. But whatever you do I totally recommend the RIO GUEST HOUSE.
I plan to go back.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled solo
2  Thank DazH
Reviewed July 20, 2006

My expectations for the Rio weren't high as it was so cheap, but I was pleasantly surprised. The rooms are bright and pleasant, with gorgeous hardwood floors. The communal bathroom was always clean and never occupied when I needed to use it. (soap would have been nice, though). I appreciated having a sink and desk in my bedroom.
The staff was kind, friendly and helpful. The place is very quiet despite being right near the restaurants and bars of St. Lawrence Gap and 3 minutes from the beach. There is frequent bus service to Bridgetown and to the other towns along the southeast coast. If I ever go back to Barbados, I hope to stay at the Rio.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled solo
3  Thank flipagain
A TripAdvisor Member
London
Reviewed May 3, 2006

Rio guesthouse welcomed me to Barbados with open arms as a 1st time visitor to the picturesque Island. The staff were always willing to give advise on places of interest to go.
"Reggea on the Hill" a recent yearly event was one of the finest live entertainment I jammed to, and St Lawerence Gap filled with an eclectic mixture of place to dine, dance all night or just chill. I've heard that in some of thes places of interest there's every possibility that you could fall in love or rekindle the romance back into a tired relationship.

The rooms in the guesthouse I always looked forward in returning to everything heavenly fresh and clean just like a sanctuary. Rio allowed me to economise without having to feel like a second class holiday maker.

Be prepared for the famous Marconi pie, a refreshing lager called Banks, a place called Ousten were the days catch of fresh fish is cooked on the beach, and the hard core Reggea music of the Reggea Lounge, including the The Lounge Weekend. Oh yes and the beautiful selection of Beachs surrounded by the Caribbean Ocean, all of this within walking distance or an interesting bus ride away from the Rio guesthouse.

Thanks Rio Guesthouse, Barbados tourist board should be proud of the high standard in your service.

Laverne Smith

As I stated I was treated as a 1st class guest at Rio guesthouse

Stayed: April 2006
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Ottawa, CAN
Reviewed March 9, 2006

My extended thanks to the Rio girls who made our one week trip an "at home" experience. If you're looking for somewhere close to ALL the action: the transit, the beach, the nightlife...but still want a small and comfy place to call home this is it! It is off the main road, so the noise level is quite low most nights. Keep in mind- the rooms are very simple- but they are cleaned daily (lifesaving surprize!) and no curfew means you can plan your days (or nights) as you please. The girls who run the house are AMAZING- they'll help you get places on the busses, they even helped us plan parts of our trip by reccommending "must do" things. The kitchen is a communal one, but it is well equipped and it's really not all that busy if you do plan on doing lots of cooking in house. The nicest thing, though, is the atmosphere created by the girls and the other guests of the house. It is easy to find new friends- especially on Friday night when everyone gathers on the balcony for a rum punch get-together! From a family of 4 to singles of any age, I highly reccommend Rio Guest House if you're looking for a no frills, accommodating, friendly, safe and FUN place to stay that really is in the center of the action! Thanks Rio girls- it was the trip of a lifetime. XOXO

• Stayed: February 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 4, 2006

Just returned from Barbados and staying at Rio made all the difference. They were pretty booked up, so my friend and I had to share a single room...not a problem at all. Paula fixed up an extra bed wonderfully and our room was much better than I would have expected. The place exceeded our expectations in every way (such a good deal for your money)..it was clean, our room got cleaned everyday (WHoaaa..who expected that!), good size kitchen, more than friendly atmosphere, SUPER location (2 min walk to the beach, easy walking from all the bars and clubs - but not by the noise), and such friendly staff...Natasha and sophie who run the place were more than helpful and made us feel right at home in and out of the guesthouse. We arrived on a friday just in time for rum punch on the balcony..people of all ages stayed here (20-50), and if you have an open mind you can meet some great people to hang out with. Overall, I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else but Rio..Remember, its simple, but clean and safe. I would its more than ideal for anyone who is taking a backpacking approach to Barbados or ppl who are just looking for a place to crash and meet some good people...Thanks Rio for a great stay!
XO

5  Thank rgershy
Reviewed February 2, 2006

i stayed at the rio for a week at the end of jan 06, a perfect place to relax and unwind. the girls are kind and helpful and I felt completely comftable staying there in a single room. location is perfect, everything is within walking distance but remains very peaceful and the local bajans are delightful. i recommend the races at the garrison and a trip to the east coast. everywhere is accesable by local transport and great places to eat are the harlequin restraunt(st lawrence gap )for posh food (great fish) and latte lovers coffee bar for cheap breakfast (1 second away) scotties has great local food and provides cheap lunches (good macaroni pie)
barbados is a perfect place for a week away from the british winter and rio makes it very easy and affordable. thanks to paula, tash, sophie and davina

• Stayed: January 2006
#45 of 50 in Christ Church Parish
Yellow Bird Hotel
Yellow Bird Hotel
#1 of 8 in St. Lawrence Gap

Been to Rio Guest House? Share your experiences!