“Best in the Gap.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rio Guest House

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Rio Guest House
Vancouver, Canada
“Best in the Gap.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

I stayed at Rio on three different occasions over the years. Great place, cheap if you are able to share a double room. Very basic, but kept clean. There is a very nice beach right across the street, and you are located on a quite street just off of the main bar street.

Room Tip: double room with private washroom if there are two of you.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank AndrewLegere

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

Met some really amazing people during my stay here. Staff was lovely, had no problems. Beautiful Dover Beach just right around the corner. Basic accommodations, but more than good enough for people who are looking to enjoy the island and just have a place to rest their head at the end of the day.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dee S
Le Francois, Martinique
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

Checking in was super easy, and the housekeeper was friendly and totally chill. Upstairs single room was nice and breezy with 2 windows and a ceiling fan. Classic wood floor and ceiling. Common balcony right outside my room, common kitchen and lounge downstairs. The beach is right there. It's basically on the St. Lawrence Gap 'strip', so you can eat, drink, and party all you want. ZERO complaints, I stayed 4 nights, and wished I could have stayed longer. I paid with my card because the ATMs didn't want to spit out enough cash that day, but there was no problem. There was a 4% charge, which appears to be standard practice in smaller establishments in the caribbean. It added 3$ US to the total, no big deal. If I return to Barbados, this is where I will stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

I just returned from a stay in Barbados at the Rio Guest House. (April 29-May 5 inclusive).

There is something you should know.

When my son and I arrived on April 29th, the desk person was very belligerent when I asked to pay with credit card. She huffed and complained first it was too difficult to transact, then that "I already have too many many credit card receipts."

After she rang in the bill, she told me she had added 4%, then tried to convince me it was usual. When I balked she started swearing and ranting. I asked her to reverse it and first she said she couldn't. Then when I insisted, she said, "ok, that will be another 4%." I was going to leave, but my son took me aside and asked me to reconsider. It was pouring rain, and we had heavy luggage and he didn't want to look for another hotel. He said why not pay and get recourse from Mastercard later. (We can't).

My son had to ask the woman to be quiet because she continued ranting and swearing while we were trying to talk.

This is a terrible way to run a guesthouse. Later, when I looked for the bill which I left lying on a desk in the room, it disappeared.

Really, no site should be advertising a place like this.

Diane Tucker

Toronto Canada

Room Tip: Room 1 on main floor was like a sauna. Room was only cleaned once during stay.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank ImaKey
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

I stayed here based on previous reviews and they were all spot on. I had a twin room to myself in one of the annexes, with three other rooms occupied and a lounge, kitchen and two bathrooms to share. Warm and helpful service from the people running the guest house, superb location minutes from the beach and all shops and restaurants made this a perfect choice. The perfect place for a budget traveller.

As a bonus for solo travellers, the balcony is the perfect place to meet other travellers and start an evening with a cold beer or two. The fact that it closes at 10pm meant that nothing got out of hand, just a good place to meet people and start an evening. I met solo travellers, couples and groups at Rio and had an excellent 4 days!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

Just got back from a five night stay in Barbados and we loved our time at Rio Guesthouse. You really do get what you pay for, so if you're looking for fancy frills, this place is not for you. But if you're travelling alone or with some friends, the Rio Guesthouse offers you just what you need. We stayed in a private double room with its own ensuite. It was clean and comfortable. Shower pressure was hit and miss but it worked. Paula and Denis were super nice and always there to help and answer our questions. The room is not cleaned daily; it's cleaned about every third day. It's located very close to some great restaurants and you can easily walk across to the beach. We had no problems with noise at night and felt perfectly safe. Overall, this is a great place to stay if you're on a tight budget.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Bern, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed in a double room ensuite with its own kitchen (consisting of a sink and a rudimentary electric stove). Everything was simple yet nice and clean. The location is good, close to the beach and restaurants and yet quiet. Until 4am that is - then the rooster on the tree in front of the guesthouse starts crowing until the sun rises. If you don't have a very deep sleep this will wake you up, even with ear plugs. All in all I would stay there again.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
#2 of 3 in Dover
Southern Palms
Southern Palms
#3 of 8 in St. Lawrence Gap

Been to Rio Guest House? Share your experiences!