“Thanks a lot, loved our stay”
Review of Rio Guest House

Rio Guest House
Reviewed December 1, 2007

We were at Rio Guest House for a week and we definitely loved the place. The location was perfect for us (3 minutes walk to Dover beach public entrance and 5 to main part of StLawrence Gap). For what we paid (about 40 US a night for both of us) we had our room cleaned everyday, sharded access to kitchen with all facilities and to a nice balcony to have our meals. Guests there were really nice and respectfull, the balcony closes at 10 so no party in the house at all. People were also kind in cleaning the kitchen carefully after cooking and by being "almost" quiet when coming home late. we had the opportunity to meet australian, germans, british, italian, american... But if you are not the "social" type, it's ok too, you can do your own buisness and people respect your privacy. People were in between 20 and 50 years old, mostly in the late 20's early 30's. but it's only a week.

Our room had two comfortable beds, a small desk with mirror, and private bathroom with big shower and hot water almost all the time we needed it (remember they heat it on te roof with sun pannels). There were a safety box too. It was very clean, never saw a bug or anything in the entire week. there are mosquito nets on the windows, a ceiling fan, one other fan on the wall and token AC (we never had to use it). Maybe the decoration of the house is the small small negative point. Like painting the walls, hiding the holes... But really, who cares about that. You'll see in the pictures, it's all ok. Just making the remark cause there is always room for improvement.

The people who take care of the place are always there whenever you need something (use of the internet access or international calls for reasonable price, banks beer for sale if you miss some, etc.). You can rent sports gears, or ask them to boof tours or activities for you.

Thanks to all Rio people, Natasha, Denis and his wife (who I can't unfortunaley remember the name). You made our stay comfortable, safe and fun.

See you soon!

Nathalie and Mathieu

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Rio Guest House

Reviewed April 3, 2007

My third trip back to this wonderful guesthouse. Why do I keep returning? For its cleanliness, location, friendliness of the staff and serious value for money. The location is superb; right beside the beautiful Dover beach and close enough to bars and clubs to enable a convenient stagger home after all the rum I was of course forced to drink. Because it's a 10 min walk to the clubs you don't hear any of the associated club activities. The balcony is great for sitting out to eat and to enjoy lovely warm evenings and meeting other guests. The kitchen is well equipped and spotless and encourages you to try the local produce which is fresh and cheap and added a different dimension to my holiday. But if you are too tired to cook there are loads of excellent food places nearby from restaurants to very affordable delicious buffets where the locals go. The rooms are spotless and the new air conditioning units an added bonus. All of the staff are wonderful, they are friendly and helpful without being intrusive The cleaner Avril is a real gem and a lovely lady. I would definitely come back to this guesthouse and would not hesitate in highly recommending it.

1  Thank Retro_Ruby
Reviewed March 29, 2007

This was my first visit to paradise, as a matter of fact, it was my first time out of the country. The plan originally included four of us but eventually four of us became just me. When I arrived at the Rio I was introduced to a group from Virginia that quickly took me in as one of their own. Having met my partners in crime I headed to the beach for a quick swim. From that point on my adventure had begun
and I didn't slow down until I was on a plane heading back to Alabama. This trip was by far one of the greatest experiences of my young adult life. The Rio Guest House is a must for anyone interested
in good prices, good people, and good times. Barbados is a magical place and the Rio Guest House helps you capture that. Roll Tide!!
!!!!!!!!!

1  Thank keen003
Reviewed March 23, 2007

We were looking for cheap and cheerful and were pleasantly surprised. This guest house was recommended by somebody much younger than us and looking at the website it seemed to be geared for younger folks (we are in the 50-60 age bracket). However we bit the bullet and decided to give it a go, booking the Studio which is bigger that the other rooms and has its own kitchenette. We needn't have worried, it was great! The room was bright and clean although the person who painted it should be ashamed of their efforts and it would have been nice to have some drawers to put our undies and t-shirts in. There was a mixed bunch of guests staying, who were all friendly and didn't disturb us at all when we decided to hit the sack early. The website is slightly deceiving as the photos would have you believe that it is virtually on the beach, when really it is one road back from the main road.

Overall I would say 'very good'. The girls looked after us well, keep the place spotless and fall over themselves to help in any way they can.

Stayed: February 2007
5  Thank Naje13
Reviewed March 15, 2007

I stayed at the Rio Guesthouse in Feb/March 2007 for two weeks and had a wonderful time. The guesthouse was very clean and the rooms were spacious and cleaned daily. The wooden floors made it most attractive. It was great having the balcony so we could sit out in the evenings with our rum punch before going to the Gap. The Rio is set right in the heart of the Gap but is slightly tucked away from any noise. We were woken up daily by the roosters but that was a welcoming sound and saved buying an alarm clock! Dover beach was a couple of minutes away on foot and was beautiful. I have been to Barbados twice before and stayed in hotels but have booked to come back to the Rio later in the year as I prefer it there. It is also good value for money. The girls at the Rio are delightful and very welcoming and the cleaner works very hard to keep the guesthouse clean and tidy. Having the guest balcony is great as you meet so many different people from all walks of life. There is also a large communal modern kitchen. I can't wait to return.

Stayed: March 2007
2  Thank Paradise-7
Reviewed March 10, 2007

Never stayed abroad before in a guest house so wasn't entirely sure what to expect (used to work for Hilton so been really spoilt on previous hols!). I shouldn't have been worried, this really is a fantastic place to stay - ok, it's basic, no aircon, etc, but it's cheap, very clean, in a fantastic position and EXTREMELY friendly!

The girls were really helpful with various details for my holiday - I only booked the flight the day before so hadn't planned a thing, I even only managed to book the first four nights accommodation (the girls helped me book the last three nights).

If you want to stay in Barbados and your budget can't run to a plush resort, you will not do better than this!

3  Thank the_curl
Reviewed February 21, 2007

First off, let me say that I agree with all of the previous postings regarding the rooms. They are clean and the price is excellent. The location is the best, walking distance from Dover beach, and all the night life anyone could want. The owners of the Guesthouse were nice and helpful when asked.

However.. here are the issues we had:

There was construction going on across the street and our room was on the street side. The construction began at 6am which made sleeping in impossible. Our window did not close completely and we only had a sheer white curtain that did nothing to block the heat, light, or noise.

While I understand that the Rio could not control the construction, I was surprised to have been given the room as I booked the trip 3 months in advance. I would have expected them to not give the room to anyone during this time, or only as a last resort after warning their patron of the noise.

We finally hung our bedspreads over the window to block the noice, light, and heat (which worked).. and came home to find that our bedspreads had been taken away (?)

Another day we came home and our furniture had been completely rearranged?

We asked about renting beach towels, and were told that it would be $5 barbados per person per day even if we didn't have them laundered the entire week.

And finally, the woman that is the resident manager is the MOST unfriendly person i've met.

So, if you want cheap and clean and in a good location.. this is the place.. but that's all you'll get. I'd recommend staying at the new guesthouse that was being constructed just across the street.. it will be open in March, and is just a little more expensive than the Rio, but has windows that close, air conditioning, reliable plumbing, etc.. for more info go to (--)and click on Visitor Rental.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled with friends
#1 of 8 in St. Lawrence Gap
The Palm Garden Hotel
The Palm Garden Hotel
#3 of 3 in Worthing

Been to Rio Guest House? Share your experiences!