“Good to Quick Weekend”
Review of Rio Guest House

Rio Guest House
Reviewed April 25, 2011

Had a good stay at the Rio Guesthouse.
However, had a single room that had no facilitates, just a bed which was find except that the particular room I was in had no mosquito nets and I got mauled all night.
The walls are pretty thin, luckily there are not many guests there at a time.
Good location in St Lawrence Gap however, just a short walk to the beach and bars.
Recommended for a short weekend away on a budget.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Rio Guest House

Reviewed March 20, 2011

Booked for 2 nights at first and finally decided to stay the whole time (9 nights) because of the location. Beach is accross the street. City bus stop is at 5 min walk. Paula and Denis are very nice people. Very understanding, they answered our million questions. Very helpful as well, they booked activities for us, on our demand (as english is not my first language..). Really cheap place for the spot. The roosters didn't bother me much after 1-2 nights. Mattresses are hard. Secure place also. A very good place to meet other travellers. I would definitely stay again at Rio :o)

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 7, 2011

We stayed in a studio as we had 1-year old baby with us. The room was typical backpacers' place - it was all right, but could be much better of course. It was spacious and quite clean but the kitchen area was a little bit dirty and ugly (we had private kitchen in studio). The shower was also broken.
The location is the main advantage as nice Dover beach and The Cap are within couple of minutes walk.
But I would not recommend the place to anybody as we could not sleep at all. The reason is funny - there were loud roosters just behind our window and they started at 3 a.m each morning. It woke up the whole family as they kept on crowing and I wouldn't say that we usually have trouble sleeping with some noise.
When we told the problem to the front desk lady (maybe she was the owner) she was really unpolite. I understand she cannot do anything with the roosters that belong to the neighbours but her attitude could be much nicer. Especially as we were with the baby who could not sleep either.
So we stayed for 4 nights all together as they have 2 days cancellation policy. Last 2 days the lady I mentioned before and her male goworker even didn't say hello to us anymore as we had decided to leave earlier than planned. So really bad attitude and not good value for the price at all.
Ok we paid a little extra but we really enjoyed our stay in Rostrevor hotel apartment with the seaview from our own balcony right on the cap and no noise at all. Of course it was much cleanier as well.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank S2de
Reviewed February 4, 2011

Thanks a lot for his wonderful stay. Was my 4th time at Rio, first time in the single room. Room was very clean. Again, I felt very safe here, managers being there almost all the time, it really secures me as a solo female traveler. The single room was perfect for the cost, lot of air, 2 fans, a little desk and a comfortable enough bed. Remember this is a low cost accomodation; do not expect a 4 sars and you won't be disappointed. It's clean and quiet (most of the time). You're close to everything, managers are very helpful (if you are nice to them as well, please). Kitchen well equiped, friendly guests from all around the world. Perfect place if you want to keep your money to explore Barbados, have nice meals, drinks, surf, etc; spend your money on other things than accomodation because anyway, you should'nt be there very often!! Thanks again Paula, see you soon!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank carnelia
Reviewed December 17, 2010

Rio Guest House is a clean, secure, friendly and relaxed place, placed in walking distance from Dover Beach and the promenade in St Lawerence Gap on a quiet street. The rooms are very simple and a bit tight, but tidy and functional. The air condition works for an extra fee which is 5 BBD for 6 hours of cold air, but it’s a place for the budget traveler, and a budget travel doesn’t always need air conditioning (there are ceiling fans). There is a good equipped kitchen on the ground floor of the building and wifi internet access is available for guests. We especially liked the balcony, which was the heart of social life and a very pleasant place to enjoy an evening beer.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kajteks
Reviewed November 17, 2010

We stayed, most things just great. I would encourage them to change the mattresses as they are not exactly of the best quality, nearer foam cushions to be honest.

Beware there is a noisy cock who crows at any old time, day or night!! We didn't manage to cook him unfortunately, so light sleepers expect this tyke to wake you.

Rough neighbourhood just round the corner but I never got any hassle, people who have complained about this do not mention the number of families and old people who also live nearby.

Good facilities for cooking and storing food.

However, I'm definitely going back again as it's just a sweeet place. Cheers Paula and Denis!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 25, 2010

Have stayed three times at Rio but only used it as a day room while waiting for connecting flights. The place is in an excellent location right round the corner from St Lawrence Gap and each time is has been extremely quiet in the whole area. The taxi driver warned me that it was in a soft (how can I say) substance area, but I was never approached by anybody in my time there, and never had any reason to believe it was like that. The few people I met while walking in the area were the typical laid back, easy going Caribbean type, who make Barbados what it is - fantastic.
The guest house is really no frills (I chose the simplest of rooms with a fan only, and communal washroom) but all was all clean and orderly, if a little cramped. The people on the front desk are very helpful, and I cannot fault them.

I would say you need to understand what you are getting when you book here - It is a simple setup, but pleasant. If you are expecting some of the finer things then look elsewhere, otherwise it is suitable if you are after budget accommodation. I would however advise against the place if you have young children, as it has minimal facilities. Like I say, I have only used the very basic of rooms, and therefore cannot comment on the other larger ones available.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
#1 of 8 in St. Lawrence Gap
The Palm Garden Hotel
The Palm Garden Hotel
#3 of 3 in Worthing

Been to Rio Guest House? Share your experiences!