“Great value, no frills, very basic”
Review of Meridian Inn

Meridian Inn
Reviewed April 6, 2011

We stayed here for 1 week. If all you need is a place to sleep then this is a great value, no frills option.
The reception is only open during the day - apart from our arrival we were never around when it was open. There was a good amount of visitor information leaflets on display and free wi-fi connection.
There is no swimming pool on site, but for $10 bds you can use the one across the road and it is also very close to a beautiful beach.
The bedroom walls were quite thin - we could hear coughing next door, but we were not bothered by this. The air conditioning unit was very noisy (but necessary) and easily ignored with earplugs.
The rooms are fitted with small kitchenettes - well equipped for basic meal preparation. A supermarket is just across the road.
The bathroom was clean, the towels were a little worn but not dirty. Only soap is provided. The maid came daily and the sheets were changed regularly during our stay.
If all you want is a (quietish) base for an inexpensive week on this beautiful island then I recommend it.

Room Tip: Located at the quieter end of St Lawrence Gap .
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BarbadosMillie

Reviewed March 27, 2011

This is a place I would definitely recommend. Fantastic location 2 minutes walk to the beach - 5 minutes walk to the heart of St Laurence Gap which is a lively, upbeat place full of restaurants and bars.
The accommodation is very basic with fridge, cooking facitlities, shower, balcony etc... The rooms are immaculately clean with regular towel changes. Money can be exchanged at the reception, this leads me to pass on just how amazing Michelle at reception was. I needed to obtain a marriage certificate for a friend (lost original) and mentioned it to Michelle - that was it :0)) :o)) she was sooooo supportive and completely dealt with my problem. I want to thank Michelle so much for everything... The phone calls, going to Bridgetown, organising cabs.... On the day I was leaving Michelle went back into Bridgetown determined that I was not going to go home without it - true to her word and persistance she arrived at my door with a big smile and marriage certificate in hand. HOW AMAZING IS THAT FOR SERVICE. I travel extensively and have never ever experienced such kindness and support anywhere in the world.
The rooms may be basic however full marks for cleanliness, service, location and the outstanding priority they offer their guests.
Thank you to everyone, especially Michelle.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank ell1stwig
Reviewed February 2, 2011

Although I was informed by the clerk that the front desk was closed when I called [they're only open about 8-5:30], the pleasant clerk agreed to meet me at the hotel to get me registered; this was around 19:30 hrs. The room was clean and plainly furnished, a little long in the tooth but not disagreeably so. I had 2 twin beds, the TV worked fine, and they have wi-fi in the rooms [way more important than the TV]. There was no phone or clock. The room also had a small kitchen area [microwave, two burner hot plate, toaster & coffee maker], plus an assortment of other cooking and eating utensils]. The toilet worked well, and there was only a shower, with plenty of hot water. NO BUGS...that was good to see, also. The wi-fi was a bit spotty at times, but worked well overall. Hopefully, they'll improve that service in the future. In general, I was very pleased with the Meridian Inn; it is NOT fancy in any way, but all I needed & wanted was a clean place to lay my head at night, with an internet connection, and they filled the bill nicely. Oh, they also had an a/c that cooled off the room nicely, not cold, but comfy.

The only downside, though, was this odd, squeaking noise that is in the area of the hotel, which you can hear even a couple of blocks from the hotel. However, the a/c drowned it out just fine.

In addition, there's a convenience store, the Dover Market, around the corner with good pre-cooked Bajan food, served out of steam trays. Among the food I tried was the salt fish, cou-cou, and flying fish. It was pretty tasty, and you know it's real Bajan food, not some chain restaurants version of Bajan food.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank fc1956
Reviewed January 24, 2011

This hotel is in a great location. It does not have any amenities but the Dover Beach Hotel and beach are a few steps away. Dover Beach Hotel has a bar but the bartendars were inexperienced and they ran out of food early. However, not far down the street is Ocean 15 restaurant., a wonderful place with good bartendars, good food and daily lunch specials. They serve breakfast and dinner as well. A big screen television which they turned on the NFL playoff games. If you want more local cuisinse, walk just a little further to Scotty's. Not much further down, is Red Rock which has a good band on Saturday night.

Back to the Meredian, the rooms are cleaned daily. Very courteous and helpful staff. The only phone (no room phone), was located outside my room so I heard a lot of conversations that I am sure the caller would not want someone else to hear.

My biggest complaint was the lack of hot water in the tub. They use solar power which is good but there was a lot of cloud cover and until I complained, every day, they didn't turn on the booster. Even with the booster on, the water needed to run for about twenty minutes before it became warm.

If you are looking for a clean hotel with minimum amenities in a great location in Barbados, this is a good choice.

4  Thank darlewis17
Reviewed January 7, 2011

This is a simple, clean, friendly and confortable Inn.
The location is umbeatable!
Take a walk dow st lawrance gap, or simply The Gap, and head to Sandy Beach.
Look for "The Uncle" at the bar by the beach!
Kind warm real person.
On that beach you can swim with turtles on its transparent waters!
Take a Boat Cruise with MC Turtle Man!
I rented a car, drove around but came right back to The Gap!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 26, 2010

Originally booked room for 1 week, planning to move to different location for 2nd week, but we felt so welcomed and comfortable that we stayed on for full two weeks. Staff very friendly and extremely helpful and efficient, booking trips and getting competitive rates for car hire. We initially said the bed wasn't very comfortable but this was promptly sorted out on same day. Room was cleaned everyday, fresh towels and sheets when required by very nice ladies. Room had basic facilities but great value for money and if we needed anything it was sorted out. Felt safe and secure at night and found whole area around very friendly. Located very close to beautiful beach so never missed having a pool.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 22, 2010

I liked the Meridian Inn. Gord the owner and Michelle in the office as well as the cleaning staff and handyman are all friendly people who went out of their way to make our stay as pleasant as possible. Anything we needed, we just asked for (e.g. a coffeemaker in the room; an iron and board). The room was bright with a nice balcony; it was just old. We had a kitchenette, queen bed, one small night table, one small desk with a 22 inch TV on it that got 25 clear channels thru a satellite. I brought my laptop and used the wifi....the signal was weak in the room, but stronger on the balcony. It is at the quiet end of the Gap, so it was a bit of a walk to get to the center of the Gap or to the bus stop. A reasonably priced market was nearby, and across from it, Scotties restaurant where the food was good and cheap, and all the locals ate there. I felt completely safe, even when walking by myself (a woman) at night. There are a few guys on the corner that want to sell you 'wacky tobacky' but they only approached my hub and not me. The only drawback was the lack of a pool. You were free to use the pool at a nearby hotel, but it was about a 15 min walk away so we just used the beach. The beach was a 2 minute walk, not crowded and although the waves were big, it was nice for swimming. Barbados Golf Club, and Oistins Fish Fry were only a few minutes away by bus or car.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
4 mi away
Ocean Spray Beach Apartments
Ocean Spray Beach Apartments
#27 of 50 in Christ Church Parish

Been to Meridian Inn? Share your experiences!