1,109 results
All reviewssteel bandcrazy golfthe gapdover beachrum punch partysuper saver roomsunday lunchtimehappy daysa garden view roomshuffle boardbeautiful beachbeach hotelthis lovely hotelturtles swimmingbody boardsboogie boardsbars and restaurants
Reviewed July 31, 2018 via mobile

I'll try and keep this short but informative.

Please read the whole review as my negatives are purley on the horrific hotel experience and not on Barbados or the St Lawrence Gap, Thank you.

Way before even arriving at the hotel we were in touch with them purely to let them know that this holiday wasn't any other holiday, it was our honeymoon. Now for two young people under the age of 30 both on minimum wage to spend so long saving to get a dream location like Barbados, as you can imagine weddings aren't cheap in them selves but as long as we had basic self catering facilities to live off we were happy to be in each others company as newlyweds.

We, like most people, politely asked for a complimentary upgrade for our special occasion ( if you don't ask you don't get). We were told no, which was fine as we were happy with a basic room as it would only to be used to sleep in and have our lunch in. Being on a budget we opted for self catering as the bed and breakfast package was extortionate, we would simply pop to local supermarket to get basic of bread, butter ect to make our lunch, and use our kindly supplied wedding gift money of Barbadian dollars to fundevening dinners and trips to allow us to make the most of their culture.

However we enquired about paying for an upgrade as this would give us a bit more time to save if wish to do so, the hotel prices were too much for our budget but we were kindly told the only difference in the rooms were the views, all the rooms have the same amenities, which again we weren't overly bothered about so we stuck with our basic room.

Months later we arrive to the hotel, to our room, to find nothing but a fridge, kettle and tea cup, saucers, and spoons, (no tea bags, coffee or sugar. So no point having them anyway?) We tried to make use of a bad situation but quickly ran out of options, we had brought some basics with us from home e.g pasta and a sauce. But even so we couldn't cook it with no hob or even a microwave at least! I then went and asked them at reception to see why we only had a fridge and kettle to be told only our suites have kitchenettes, which when we emailed months prior we were to told of no such suites and that all the rooms were the same only difference being the view!

So thanks to the hotel they had upset my new wife as we couldn't afford to go out for breakfast/lunch and in turn could only wait to have dinner in a evening as originally planned. We had to survive 3 weeks with one meal a day! Instead of enjoying our honeymoon we were fretting more on how to use our money to eat.

We took this up with our rep who said he would 'sweet talk the hotel' and come back to us momentarily to see what he could do, he never returned. We caught him the next day and asked him AGAIN he said I'll get you an answer by Saturday, Saturday came NO answer, I went back a 3rd time this taking MORE time form my wife AND my honeymoon, and he said I'll go have a word with the manager,( so he had done nothing in that time). Next minute the manage found us pool side and said if you go to reception I have left 2 options for you and then soon disappeared too, now passing the book to her front of house staff, I went to reception and said IV come to see my two options, they knew nothing about this and had to ring her, i waited over 15 minutes in reception AGAIN taking MORE time from my wife and honeymoon, next the reservation manager came out and said we have prepared the rooms for you if you would like to look, (I thought great we are getting some where, with in mind that the hotel was rather empty the first two weeks of the honeymoon) he then said did the manger tell you the prices and I said no and we can't afford to pay anymore as we had already hit budget with a wedding and dream honeymoon destination. He told me one would be $50usd/100 bbd per day ( we were here for 3 weeks) and the other $30usd/ 60 bbd per day, which he added were 'heavily discounted'. He said shall we go look and I politely said no, there is no point as we can't afford any more money to pay for an upgrade which was due to their lack of mis-emphasis on the rooms as wecould of saved prior for an upgrade but couldn't afford it on the spot. He looked at me put out and said abruptly so you DON'T want to see the rooms NOW we have prepared them for YOU, and I said no as we can't afford it so no point, he then walked off.

AVOID SOUTHERN PALMS HOTEL!

Every time we seen the manager after she would quickly say hi but was gone as quick as she came, she, like most of her staff except a handful just didn't care!

So with zero help from the hotel and the rep we have had to live off one meal a day for three weeks. Also I suggested to the rep that could the hotel maybe subsidize breakfast at least, just so we could eat twice a day, (after all the other guest in the hotel we having the breakfast buffet so we thought an extra 2 tagged on wouldn't be overly costly to the hotel) he replied there would be a cost, so I reminded him of how we STILL can't afford any extra, he didn't even take this suggestion to the manager this time to ask. He merely suggest a few local restaurant that were cheap to eat breakfast and lunch at, the cheapest we could find was $16 BBD each. $32BBD A DAY roughly $650bbd/ £250 over the whole holiday on top, which AGAIN we tried to explain to the rep we don't have anything extra to put in.

Over the three weeks we quickly came to find that a lot of the staff were short with us and just seemed put out to do anything we ask, from answering our questions or even ordering a meal in THEIR restaurant. My most recent encounter was I simply asked for ice at the bar the woman snatched my glass filled it with ice and shoved back to me without a word!

AVOID SOUTHERN PALMS HOTEL!

Our final encounter with this horrendous hotel just put the cherry on top. We were offered a complimentary late check out of two o'clock ( our transfer at 4.15) it came to half one as me and my wife were trying to enjoy our last day in the sun and poolside for the next bombshell to commence. I went up to the reception and politely enquired about if we could keep our room any later, they said you can but there is a charge, I said that's fine where is the room where we can leave our luggage bags and get ready in until our transfer arrives, as this was a standard formality to all hotel guests. I was then informed after the matter that we were not entitled to this room as we opted for a complimentary late check out. I stood my ground with ridiculous response. Then a supervisor came to see me and said YOU should of got ready in your room as YOU opted for late check out, i then replied but how can we enjoy our last day if we got to be ready by 2 and wait 2 hours for our transfer doing nothing? He then replied then you should of have not accepted the complimentary late stay! I said if I was informed of this rule I would of picked the latter as allowed us more time to enjoy our day. Hi simply said it's not about being INFORMED you accepted the late check out. I replied if I was INFORMED I would not have accepted the late check out as it's not late enough. The supervisor was rude and kept trying to over talk me, it then end with him saying you can have the room until three THATS ALL. I then accepted this and was livid and my blood boiled in the thought that our honeymoon started awful and ended awful. Thanks to the hotel.

AVOID SOUTHERN PALMS HOTEL!

The beach was far from picturesque as it was covered in seaweed and the anticipated Chrystal clear water was as clear as Blackpools sea.(I do understand this isn't a fault of the hotel just therecent the currents drawing in seaweed) but It didn't help towards our already devastating experience with hotel leaving us disheartened with our honeymoon, as we couldn't really use the beach which adjoins the hotel due to its condition and the constant red flag for no swimming being up.

The only time we enjoyed our holiday was when we were away from the hotel exploring the island and jumping on a 15 minutes ride on a reggae bus to Carlisle bay which had the most perfect beach.

To summarize.

We can't wait to come back to BARBADOS for our anniversary as it is a lovely island and down to earth culture, but we will 100% be avoiding 'THE SOUTHERN PALMS HOTEL'

St Lawrence gap has plenty of variety when it comes to hotels, restaurants of all taste from Bajan to Chinese, Jamaican, pizza and steak house and their night life with plenty of happy hours at every bar possible.

St Lawrence Gap is a great little strip but one thing to avoid at all cost on the whole gap is,

THE SOUTHERN PALMS HOTEL !!!

(Unless you want a regrettable holiday experience of Barbados, like we did!)

Pros:-

Restaurant is great food and hazel-ann (waitress) is a debt to the hotel being the best thing about the place.

Afternoon tea, 4.00pm free tea and cake.

Cons

Long wait for food even when restaurant is empty.

Most hotel staff rude, unhelpful, and don't want to know.

Display pool of fish and turtles(pro) turtles have Algee and moss on shells and the water is greener there own lawns.

Stayed: July 2018, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Dream787887
Reviewed July 28, 2018

As a local EX Brit I miss my English pies, I love Jamaican patties but need a fix of steak and kidney pie or chicken and mushroom pie, so Southern Palms is the place for me. On Saturday they have English pub food, very reasonably priced around $25 Barbados. The food satisfies my need for pies and there is a group called Syndicate that are really entertaining. Two fantastic vocalists, real musicians and they cover everything from oldies, motown, soca, reggae and current popular music. A really good night out and it does not break the bank.

Stayed: July 2018
4  Thank Gill S
Reviewed July 23, 2018 via mobile

We have been coming to Southern Palms since 2003 and I have to say this visit was the most disappointing ever and we’ll never return.
On arrival, the lady on reception was very miserable and unwelcoming. We got the feeling we were inconveniencing her big time.
We were shown to our room, which we were really pleased with as it was in our favourite part. However the air conditioning didn’t work and after calling someone out twice in one day it still wasn’t working. We spent the first night really hot and uncomfortable. On the second night with it still not working we were told we had to sleep in the room next door as the engineer couldn’t come out till the following day. By the third day it was fixed and we thought we’d be able to get on with enjoying our holiday.
At the beginning of our second week we returned at 5pm after having been out in our car all day to find our room not made up (we were looking forward to having a shower and chilling). The maid was outside and informed us we were moving to a room over the other side of the hotel! News to us! Then reception then telephoned and abruptly informed us that we would have to move as there was a serious plumbing problem! We had no evidence of this problem at all. When we asked what the problem was, nobody actually knew.
We actually believe that because the whole block was empty apart from us and another family, they wanted to close this section of the hotel down. I said I’d had no intention of packing and moving half way through our holiday. We were kept waiting 24 hours while they decided whether we could stay in this room. We found this not knowing put the dampers on the holiday. The next day we were told we could stay and they hoped the problem didn’t get any worse (although they still didn’t know what the actual problem was).
Our room wasn’t particularly clean, the bathroom in particular looked like the skirting board hadn’t been cleaned in ages.
The seaweed situation on the beach and in the ocean was extremely disappointing. Both were covered in black seaweed. The water was horrible. The seaweed smelt and was covered in flies. Part of our holiday is to enjoy walking up and down the length of the beach each morning and this was just impossible.
On the day of departure we asked if we could have an hour extension on the room and we’re told no! Bearing in mind this section of the hotel was closed, couldn’t see why this wasn’t possible!
Would also like to point out about the $5.50 extra charge per room per night (x 14) which we were only informed of just before leaving the UK. Once you’ve paid for a holiday, you don’t usually expect add ons and surely this
will put tourists off rather than attracting them.
On a positive note and the only one, I would say the staff who work in the bar and restaurant are extremely lovely! It’s a pity the reception staff can’t be like them.

Stayed: July 2018, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Gillian N
Reviewed July 20, 2018

This was our eighth time to this hotel , and again found it so relaxing , although there was some renevation work going on,this was being done as June is one of the quite times at the hotel saying that it did not spoil our stay,as on previous visits found the staff to be friendly and very helpful, another downside was also the seaweed that came in quite bad , but that's nature so there's nothing anyone can do about that,but nature also cleared it, after a couple of days,saw turtles come and !at their eggs most nights we were their,also one night hatchling's came out but sadly we missed them as went out to a restaurant,you will be hard to find a better sitter hotel than this one right on Dover beach, where you can relax on a Sunday lunch time be listen to the Steel Band playing whilst enjoying your Bank's Beer

• Stayed: June 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2018

Celebrated my 60th birthday early and stayed here. Was told by the bookings manager requests are not a promise they are just a request, even though the Hotel was given 3 months notice, when I complained about the room. Was surprised he spoke to me in that tone. However he managed to get us a top floor room, to accommodate my request as we were 2 women travelling. Hotel view due to the design is restricted ocean view. Bathrooms are very small. Toilet had drainage problems, had to keep flushing. Complained and it was fixed, but still drainage problems in toilet. Beds excellent, best I have slept on. Air conditioning very good with a remote and range of settings for control. TV said Ariel not connected so blurred pictures on some channels.Every room has a balcony for ocean views. Kettle, iron and fridge made us feel very much at home and comfortable. Take your own tea bags as thes are not provided. Shower gel and shampoo in bathroom useful especially when you run out. Location close to the Gap for food, drink and clubs. Water aerobics was fun on Wednesday and Friday. Some staff friendly, others were a bit miserable. They need to smile a bit more. Rooms were cleaned well. Good place to stay for amenities and spending time on the beach. Crazy golf and table tennis available along with windsurfing lessons. Really enjoyed stay here and would go back, despite the initial mess up with the room request. Ocean rooms have a safe available but you need to pay to use it. Alternatively use a safe at reception free. Enjoyed the sounds of the birds and the ocean waves. Many tourists have returned to stay here. Please sort out your toilets to better functioning ones in all rooms. Otherwise great hotel!

Room Tip: Higher floors for safety and less street noise and pool noise as twin bedrooms doors are exposed to the street, not the hotel corridor.
Stayed: July 2018, traveled with family