“relaxing break”
Review of Southern Palms

Southern Palms
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed here for three weeks February to march 2013.The hotel is in good location,right on a lovely beach.The public area,s are very nice but our room was a bit of a let down.The hotel has a very friendly atmosphere and is popular with Americans and Canadians.We only at breakfast and the occasional snack here but what we had was adequate if a bit over priced.The entertainment we saw consisted of a steel band a couple of nights and singers a couple of nights.Tea ,coffee and cakes are served at 4p.m at the side of the second pool.The hotel is in an ideal location for getting out and about as the local bus stops just at the bottom of the road,a ten minute bus ride to Bridgetown and then you can get a bus to almost anywhere on the island.Dont miss the fish fry at Oistins,a good way to spend a Friday night.Over all the hotel was good,we saw the things we wanted to see and the hotel was a very relaxing break.

Room Tip: a sea view room is always nice but the waves here can be quite noisy,not so good if you are a light...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank chrispete766

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Visited the Southern Palms with my wife for 10nights. What we came to realize was that some of the staff morale was low, you can see that some of the staff doesn't get along with each other, it's very apparent. SECURITY was very lacking, especially at night, you would pass and see a security guard either SLEEPING or playing with their Cell-phones and other electronic gadgets. I was asking a guard lady a question and didn't get a response from her, and I said to my wife, she seems upset as she is not answering me, I again spoke to her and she still never resonded, I then tapped her on the shoulder and she jumped and took her head-phones out of her ears and told me, smiling, that she didn't hear me behind her, she was listening to her music. My wife and I just smiled and moved on. We saw her the next night, down at the far end of the property again, that's where our room was, and she was doing the same thing again, but she waved at us and said she is viewing a movie. The hotel is dated yes, but some of the staff are very friendly, they go out of their way to make you comfortable. I belive that for a hotel that is as diverse as Southern Palms, they need more vigilant security officers.

However, we enjoyed our 10 nights there and we will be back. Hopefully staff morale changes and security is better. because you can't feel safe if you have the people that are suppose to protect you not the best.

2  Thank Sanchia20
Reviewed August 20, 2013

My Barbados holiday
Southern palms is a dated but welcoming and mostly friendly hotel.
The rooms are clean and spacious.
The hotels reception were a little lax in the respect we requested they sort out a problem with ants all around the the kitchenette and bathroom facilities and a noisy a/c. They still hadn't been sorted when we left.
In fact the Elastoplaster we had to stick to the a/c shutter was also still in place.
The hotels location is faultless, right on the fantastic Dover beach.
St Lawrence Gap and the bars I feel could be made so much more appealing if a little more pride was injected into the ferturnity.
The beach was allowed to get littered with no deterrents.
Some of the bars were in need of some general maintenance.
I found some of the hotel to be very friendly, however some could come across rather regimented.
The bar closed on time every night come what may, which for a holiday maker who's away to have fun and relax was a disappointment.
The highlight of the holiday had to be my visit to Kennsington Oval,it's a must for anyone visiting Barbados!
In general I came home knowing someday I will return to this beautiful island, I'm just not sure of my destination.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Ian C
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We last visited Barbados and stayed in this hotel 30 years ago so we were wondering whether we would be disappointed going back after so long. We needn't have worried as the friendliness is still very apparent, be it reception, restaurant, bar, housekeeping, maintenence or night security staff. I can't believe there is a better location anywhere else on the island, the long sandy uncrowded beach, plus the turtles that seem to love this particular beach. We were lucky enought to see three of them nesting while we were there and also see the work of the Barbados Sea Turtle Project in action.
The hotel offers entertainment, The Barbados All Stars Steel Orchestra and The Redmen are not to be missed.
Also not to be missed is the free scuba diving lesson on a Tuesday morning in the main pool. This is taken by Ram who still, and has been for the last thirty years, runs dive trips on his aptly named boat Scotch 'n' Soda from Sandy Beach up the road. If you have ever had an urge to try this but nerves are stopping you, then he is the best man for the job. If you pay to go out with him, he will do his utmost to make sure that you succeed and have the experience of a lifetime. He also takes experienced divers out.
Happy Hour is a time to make sure you have eaten first, the drinks are delicious, but strong and you could find yourself losing grip of time if done on an empty stomach. :-)
The rooms are clean and the minor mechanical issues we had were dealt with and rectified immediately.
The food is good, Sunday Pie Buffet at lunch time is excellent and you can watch the steel orchestra at the same time - what's not to like?
If we can get back to Barbados next year, this is where we shall stay, no hesitation at all.

Room Tip: Go for a sea view if you can afford it.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 2ov5
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel 4 times and it just perfect, from the minute you check in and see the view, it's stunning. We always arrive on a Monday night (how the flights work from Manchester) and arrive when the managers rum punch starts, which is mixing with other guests and FREE rum punch :) which is gorgeous but strong :)

My favourite part is that first morning waking up and looking out to the view on the balcony, I have never seen something so gorgeous, nothing compares to it.

Staff are friendly, rooms are spotless and anything else you need you can just ask reception! you are walking distance to all bars/restaurants or could simply eat/drink at the bar that serve lovely food!

The grounds and the rooms are kept very clean, you have security around the hotel 24/7 for any locals etc trying to gain access to the hotel which is not allowed.

The beach is massive and water sports are available all day every day! and the beach is never crowded, free access to sun loungers for guests only too.

You have a mini golf for kids in the day on the grounds and a sports room to use body boards/snorkels etc free of charge, you just give your room number in.

Every time I have been and nearly every night I have stayed there a nest hatches with baby turtles which is amazing to see, and also seen some turtles lay eggs, amazing experience.

Also they have a steel band on every sunday which is lovely to listen to whilst relaxing on the beach :)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Charlene08England
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I keep coming back to the Southern Palms and each time I am reminded why. I am reliably greeted by a warm welcome followed throughout my stay by friendly and (by Bajan standards) very good service. The management hasn't changed in years and their loyalty to the hotel and to their customers shows. Sadly the only recent change has been the passing away of Coco the Scarlet Macaw who was both the hotel mascot and principal character for well over 40 years.
The hotel is not a conventional block of battery chicken rooms, but a spacious estate comprising a collection of new and older properties strung along Dover Beach. Its beach frontage is therefore huge, and its on one of Barbados's best and biggest uncrowded beaches. It also has two fresh water pools. One is near the bar (great for a vital glass of refreshing Banks beer after a swim) whilst the other smaller pool is more secluded. This is where tea and cakes are served free of charge at 4pm every day. Where else can you get this?!
I also like it's south coast location because of the cooling breeze. By contrast the (pricey) leeward west coast always seems mosquito-ridden, hot and sticky.
The hotel delivers a choice of rooms and the standard of comfort and views from them is generally down to what you pay for. The average room is probably in the three star bracket but they are all clean and well maintained. The only complaint I would have is the unnecessary decoration of the beds with heavy bedspreads and numerous pillows and cushions. This may be the vogue in hotels these days but they are of course totally impractical.
Flat screen TVs are provided in the rooms but I used it only once when I discovered that there were few channels available and virtually none worth watching. Not even CNN, though maybe my TV wasn't tuned properly. Who needs to watch TV in Barbados anyway?
I complained about a noisy airconditioning unit and it was promptly replaced by a new unit. That level of maintenance service is what keeps customers happy in a 'hostile to electrical appliances' ocean front environment.
This is very definitely a holiday hotel so if you're a businessmen but not laid back, forget it. Wifi internet is provided free of charge but the quality of the connection to the router and the speed of its link to the internet is quite variable depending on where you are in the hotel and time of day.
The restaurant and bar are good for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Entertainment is provided several days of the week. I particularly like Sunday lunchtime where the Barbados All Stars steel band has been a regular feature for many years at the hotel. A great way to immerse ones' self in classic Caribbean atmosphere next to the beach with a rum punch and Flying Fish cutter.
For those golfers who don't have the energy for 18 holes, a decent minigolf course is available at the hotel.

Room Tip: There are no elevators so if you are not fit, be careful about what level your room is on.
7  Thank Robert F
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Beautiful hotel right on Dover Beach. The restaurant is lovely but pricey so we ate a few times at the bar and can highly recommend the food especially the pizza. The only fault I had was that you charged all your food and drinks to your room so you have to keep a check on what you are spending. We found it best to pay our bill every day or so. Hotel is quiet but for me that's a good thing,it has more entertainment than most hotels but is all low key. The rooms are in need of upgrading but were on par or superior to other hotels we have stayed in Barbados. You are right in the Gap so it's easy to find somewhere to eat, we can recommend Rush, Harlequin and Paulo's Churrasco. Also Harbour Lights is a must, the BBQ was lovely and the entertainment was great especially the young couple on the steel drums. We were lucky enough to see a turtle lay her eggs on the beach and also watched baby turtles hatch and be released into the sea.

Room Tip: The garden view rooms have a side view of the beach
2  Thank Trebor91
Beach View
Beach View
#1 of 26 in Saint James Parish
Coconut Court Beach Hotel

Been to Southern Palms? Share your experiences!