“Good place to stay.”

Time Out Hotel
Crest Hill, Illinois
“Good place to stay.”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I just returned from a 5 night trip to Barbados, where I stayed at the Time Out. If you're looking for spectacular views, or accommodations, this isn't the hotel for you. However, if you are looking for a hotel that is clean, with friendly staff, and excellent location then this is the place to stay! Staff was nice and friendly. However, the security guard that was on duty when I checked in and checked out seemed a bit disinterested with my business. Rooms offered basic accommodations but were extremely clean. At 1 point I had some issues with the sliding door sticking. Maintenance was in my room within minutes and fixed the problem! Be aware that if you are traveling heavy, there is NO elevator here and you have to carry your bags upstairs...The pool was super clean. TV reception was hit or miss depending on the weather (since it is a satellite). Then again, who goes to Barbados to watch TV?!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Melissa G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Stayed for 2 weeks and overall had a really enjoyable stay. Our room was basic but very clean and tidy, with a nice view of the lovely pool. Limited TV channels available in the room. No help was offered to us with carrying our bags up 2 flights of stairs, on arrival. Housekeeping staff were very friendly and helpful. Ideal location close to beach, bars and restaurants and also has an ATM nearby. We think more information could be offered/displayed at reception regarding available organised trips or attractions, as we felt we had to 'search out' the details.
The Sporting Pig Bar at the hotel was excellent and this is where breakfast is served if included in your tarif. The owner/manager and all of his staff were great. Always accommodating and very friendly and helpful. The food was lovely and well presented.
In our opinion, for what you pay to stay at the Time Out, it's a nice hotel at which, we would stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Karen J
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

Good service, good continental breakfast (enough, not excellent) clean rooms.

BUT: Internet quality is very bad. Weak signal and only have wifi from the balcony, if you enter into the room it goes away.

Also internet speed very slow!!! So bad point.

And TV channels are so little, maybe 7 or 8 channels.

They have to work harder on those points.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
AliciaFarmer, General Manager at Time Out Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are very happy to hear we provided you with good customer service, clean rooms and good restaurant options. However, I do understand that we experienced internet connectivity problems during your stay however, this was a result of the Internet provider in Barbados. I am happy to advise that they have confirmed the problem is now resolved.

In addition to your other comment on the TV channels - we are a value property and therefore only offer 8-10 channels per room. We show all the cable networks, along with movie channels and our local news channel. I can confirm that we are always looking for better TV options, however we are careful in selecting another option as we do not want to pass on addition fees or increase our room rates, therefore should we have the opportunity to find another provider who offers the same or a better options for TV channels, we would certainly look to make this change!

Thank for you for taking the time to leave your review with us, we would certainly continue looking at ways to improve the areas mentioned!

Bedfordshire, UK
Reviewed October 6, 2013

The location for this hotel is fantastic, right near the Gap with the bars and restaurant and a few yards from the beautiful Dover beach.

The rooms were fine for our stay, they could probably do with a sprucing up but these things take time. It was kept clean which was the main thing. Housekeeping were fantastic, always friendly and if you needed an extra towel (I have long hair), they would give you one but also remember the next time the towels were changed. The maintenance people round the complex were also always friendly and took time to say hello and be pleasant.

The bar and restaurant, the Sporting Pig, was absolutely brilliant. The guys actually take the time to get to know the guests individually and always take time to give an excellent service to their customers. I honestly cannot fault their food. Aaron could teach a lot of people good customer service. He always had a smile on his face and even popped in on his day off to say cheerio to us before we left. He couldn't do enough for people. Also, they if you are on the bed and breakfast rate and want the cooked chargeable breakfast instead of the included continental, they actually deduct the cost of a continental and just charge you the difference. This isn't the norm but is definitely a positive factor compared to other hotels.

The reception staff unfortunately is where they fall down and they could learn a lot from the people I have already mentioned. The response you often got depended on what mood they were in on that particular day. On one occasion the guy had a go at one of the gardeners/maintenance people in the pool area near guests. He seemed a bit of a diva. On another occasion, my partner was told to just go to his room as local calls were free when he needed to cancel a taxi (there is no booklet in the room on hotel policies like phone usage for example) and asked reception for help. In the end, we avoided having to ask them anything.

The pool could do with a few more umbrellas. There are only 2 and they are attached to 2 tables so if you want to laze by the pool with a book you will fry which isn't great. Also, two mornings a week while we were there, we had to endure a senior citizen physio therapy rehabilitation session in our hotel pool. This was only supposed to go on for a couple of hours but instead of finishing at midday would go on until gone 2 - key hours when you want to go in and out of the pool if you are a guest. They would also take up the entire pool and you would have to listen to the instructors jokes which were often in poor taste. On the third go and being unable to swim, I'd had enough and complained to reception who had a word with him but he still didn't stop. There were no notices in the lobby and it's not in the brochure so I didn't agree with this as a paying guest.

However, a few days later the manager who had just returned after maternity leave caught up with me as a guest and I mentioned the umbrellas and physio sessions. To her credit, she got the next session moved to a quieter sister hotel so we could enjoy our last morning in peace which we did appreciate. In future, it really does need to moved to the quieter part of the day like 4pm as at the end of the days, the paying guests should come first.

However, the manager really does seem to want to provide good customer service so despite my comments, she did listen to what I had to say.

I would still recommend this hotel as it does have the potential to be fantastic and is still a gem in the Gap compared to more expensive hotels. I have given very good on service based on the bar and restaurant and housekeeping.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ClareS1981
AliciaFarmer, General Manager at Time Out Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. It is wonderful to hear of all the positive comments on our property however it is with regret that we fell short on service at our front desk. We sincerely apologize for the inconsistent levels of service that you experienced. Be assured, that this is not our customary level of service, as we always aim to go above and beyond our guests expectations and provide optimum levels of service at all times.

We value all of your comments - good and bad, as it allows our entire team to gain first hand knowledge of our guests experiences and improve accordingly. It is our promise to look into the matter of service at front desk and address it immediately to prevent re-occurrence.

I am very happy to hear your appreciation re. the physio therapy sessions being relocated to another property, thank you once again for voicing your concerns to me - giving me the chance to rectify this problem before you departed.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share this review with us and allowing is us the opportunity to correct these challenges so that we may better serve you in the future.

Buffalo, New York
Reviewed September 23, 2013

PROS
Prices:
Best peak season prices, weekend rates were $71.00USD per night and weekday rates were $63.00USD per night. hopefully, they remain the same as the hotel gets more and more better reviews.

Hygiene:
hotel rooms are very clean, linen is fantastic. I read a review about this hotel where someone mentioned that a king size bed was made with two single beds put together. THEY HAVE DEFINITELY RENOVATED AND A KING SIZE BED IS A KING SIZE BED.

Staff:
hotel staff is very friendly. Alicia, the General Manager of the hotel is very friendly and she maintains the hotel at very high standards. Pierre and Julie Ann, they work at the front desk and both are extremely funny and welcoming. Steve Handles the hotel bar and restaurant and He makes sure you are served a drink with your food asap.

Location:
Time out hotel is right next to the beach, you cross the road and its the beach. It located in the most happening area of Barbados. night life is really good.

the hotel also has an amazing swimming pool and a sports bar like Dave and Buster's

CONS
If you need to be on the internet and you're in barbados for a business purpose then you might find that Internet is slow everywhere not just time out hotel.

restaurant menu needs more food entrees, and sides and sauces.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Parth P
AliciaFarmer, General Manager at Time Out Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Mr. Parth,

Firstly, let me thank you for leaving such a wonderful review on our property! We have a great team at Time Out Hotel and I am so happy to hear that your expectations on service and quality were exceeded!
I would be sure to share this lovely review with the entire team and I am delighted to see that you are still with us and just couldn’t wait to leave such a wonderful review on Trip Advisor! We constantly are trying to improve the hotel and our performance, so thank you for noticing the changes we have made and we certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Barbados and Time Out Hotel in the near future!

St. Vincent
Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I spent only one night here while in transit to Miami.

I am drawn by professionalism and customer service and the lady at reception met my expectations. Surroundings looked pleasing to an extent.

The gentleman assigned to take us to our rooms walked ahead of us. It was only after he realised he was alone ( as we gathered our luggage) he came back and offered to help me with ONE of our 6 bags.
Then we were lead up two flights of STAIRS with our remaining five bags! Thank heavens we weren't higher up. View from the room was not picturesque. ..but it was only one night so what.

Taxi was prompt at 5am.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank MrsXM
Donna B, Reservations Supervisor at Time Out Hotel, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to first thank you for your compliment regarding our front desk service! I do apologize that we fell short with regards to showing you to the guest rooms and assisting with the luggage. I would personally see that we put in place a training program so that in the future, this does not happen again. I do hope that you would give us an opportunity to welcome you back to our property soon!

Donna Byer
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I stayed at Timeout Hotel for 2 weeks, during & after Cropover 2013.

This hotel is a great representation of Barbados great hospitality, scenery & service.

I was only scheduled to stay for a week, then I planned to stay with family, but the service, convenient location, and general environment made me extend my stay.

Friendly staff, clean well kept rooms & steps away from the beautiful beach!

Definitely planning to stay here again. On my next Barbados trip.

C.Nurse

Room Tip: I had a top floor room & it was great!