“Courtesy and pleasantries cost nothing...”
Review of Time Out Hotel

Time Out Hotel
“Courtesy and pleasantries cost nothing...”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Time Out Hotel, St Lawrence, Barbados

We stayed for one night at the Time Out hotel and I have mixed feelings about the place...
Check in whilst reasonable efficient was awkward with the receptionist trying to get a $100 deposit which I refused to pay on a credit card or with cash as a) we were only putting our heads down before getting our next flight the morning after and b) we had no plans of using any of the 'limited' services or Facilities available at this motel.

The room was functional, reasonably spacious and clean - so no worries there.

Breakfast was a little strange ... There must have been 6 or 7 staff members serving 5 or 6 tables yet it took almost an hour to get a continental breakfast which, was a painfully slow service. The waitress was pleasant but took almost 20 mins to get us a glass of water and she was bringing out cereal etc 1 item at a time; but the food we did get was nice quality.

The receptionist in the morning was downright rude. She ignored us when we approached and continued with her paperwork without even looking up to acknowledging me and left me a stood waiting. Then, when the phone rang she answered and continued to deal with the enquiry whilst still doing her paper work, I turned on my heals in disgust and walked away.

This is a lovely hotel, in a lovely location, they have a nice bar and restaurant but thank the good Lord I only stayed there 1 night because the service is APPALLING!

My advice to the hotel is invest in your front of house people because they give the first and last impression of your hotel to your guests. The young lady with the bad attitude 'Lisa' needs to learn to at least 'pretend' she gives a damn about your customers because on the basis of what I saw I would not recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to stay for more than 1 night.

Now I read all the trip advisor reports on Time Out before I booked and noticed several reports of poor service / staff attitude and was fooled when i noticed that the hotel always responded to reviews very efficiently (Clearly in an attempt to minimise reputational damage). Alicia, Please don't bother paying lip service to me because you clearly don't mean it ... otherwise you'd have resolved your staff issues by now. Instead take young Lisa into the Chefette at the airport for a masterclass in customer service and etiquette ... You'll save a fortune on training because when a fast food chain makes its customers feel better than the receptionist at a hotel - there's clearly something fundamentally wrong.

Room Tip: Contact the manager directly and in advance - don't rely on any help at the front desk.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank brunec01

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed 14th to 29th January 2013 and had the best time. The staff were helpful and always provided service with a smile - the breakfast was delicious - the bar staff very accomodating with the football coverage (thank you and GO ARSENAL!!) - the pool areas is much improved since we were there last (this is our 3rd time) and was quiet and peaceful. The room was cleaned every day and we had fresh towels - I know the rooms are basic (and perhaps the pillows could do with being a bit softer but that's super picky) but hey - the price is amazing when you think where you are. And then there's the beach - Dover beach is the best and thanks to Tiger we always had a good spot.
Overall - loved every minute and have started saving to go again - thank you to all the staff and see you soon. Jill and Stu
And yes - go...... you'll love it!

Room Tip: pool side or on the front away from the cricket pitch as their events can be Bajan and noisy!
2 Thank jandsbo
International
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I was staying at this hotel and the first exprience was really nice.

Although it changed after my one week stay.
Almost every night was very loud music and / or some happening at the field next to the hotel.

The general manager of the hotel was true professional, very friendly, helpful etc..
Although some members in the reception were not so nice, not excatly rude or unkind, but close.

The rooms were cleaned properly, but my towels were not changed - for example i used one to clean the bathroom floors and they didn´t change that for at least 2 days.

The pool area was very nice.
The Beach is located at the hotel, right across the street and that was in my opinion the best in Barbados (i saw the beaches in the West Coast too).
The food at the hotel restaurant was extremely good and all of the staff there very very nice.
Overall -> If my room was cleaned properly and some reception staff were more friendly, close to 4 stars. And without the loud nightly noises, definetly 4 stars.
So if you are a party person at night etc, this hotel is good for you.
Although some areas of the hotel might be quiet - if i would have a choice to change my stay, i would definetly pick a room closest to the pool.

Room Tip: As close can you get to the pool. (most quiet i would think)
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank RideTheWaves
Thrapston, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Just returned from a 3 week stay at Time Out and had to comment on this. Having seen some of the comments on the net I was a little wary of what we had to come, and to my satisfaction we had a brilliant time. It is at the quiet end of the main road through the Gap, but walkable distance to anywhere, allowing drinking, parking the car at the hotel. This proved useful when the hire car battery was flat, as Aaron, from the bar, kept up his brilliant service by producing jump leads and got us moving! In fact, all of the staff were great, cheerful and helpful, and where problems occurred Alisha ( manageress ) was around to resolve it - excellent! The restaurant is to be fully open in Feb, the bar opened while we were there, and while breakfast was a little unusual at first, once the new management and staff got to grips it was really good. I am sure that it will improve again over the coming months and we look forward to seeing therm all again in November - we will then post an update. Give it a try.

Room Tip: Better by far than the comments regarding it being a Budget hotel, and will improve again I'm su...
2 Thank Granvg
Bray on Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Great location, easy walk into the gap for nightlife. Hotel fairly basic. Friendly staff, especially in the bar. Breakfast? The service was hopeless! Very much a cheap and cheerful place but they do try so I wouldn't put you off.

Room Tip: Make sure that you get a room away from the main road at front.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
uk
Reviewed January 28, 2013

As title: We stayed a few years ago and tried again after the refurb - its on the Virgin list too,
Good points
great location
nice staff
rooms made every day promptly
good pool
great wifi across the hotel
It was sold as entry-level

Bad

Room 229 was bit basic (no balcony): no plugs in the bath/sink (added after we complained); bathroom window (slats) should have mesh cover to stop insects; fridge very noisy (just unplugged it at night); aircon old, and when the room staff turned it off when doing room it dripped water all over the desk...
Hotel is concrete and can be noisy (door slams) but that also depends on the guests!

We understood it was a basic hotel and this is Barbados - and we're not picky I think. But the room could have used some upgrading

Still great on the Gap tho, Dover Beach still lovely (tho Escape at the Gap looks a bit forlorn!). Bottled Banks' were BB$2.50 - never known it so cheap!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Helsingborg, Sweden
Reviewed January 25, 2013

My wife's birthday was on our first day at this hotel. I mentioned that at check in and some hours later we got complimentary champagne. Not bad for a "budget" hotel. Nice staff, perfect situated near the beach. At this time of year it is calm and suitable for families with small children.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
#1 of 8 in St. Lawrence Gap
Dover Beach Hotel
Dover Beach Hotel
#3 of 4 in Dover

Been to Time Out Hotel? Share your experiences!