“Great Time in Barbados”

Healthy Horizons Beach Apartments
Rockville, Maryland
“Great Time in Barbados”
Reviewed September 21, 2011

We just got back from a week in Barbados and we stayed at the Healthy Horizons. The room was comfortable and spacious and had a kitchenette (apt size stove/oven;refrig;sink). The owners, Pam and Trevor, were very accomodating and the room was cleaned twice (Tues and Thurs) which was fine with us. The property sits right on the beach and boardwalk and it centrally located near many great restaurants. Some places we ate were: downstairs at the Bistro Monet; the Reggae Bar and Restaurant; Bubba's (ok but not great for food, but we needed to watch the Steelers play); Shakers (excellent); Lucky Horseshoe, and Mojo. For the money, Healthy Horizons and Barbados in general was reasonably priced with lots to do. Although there were bars on our windows and door to the balcony (2nd floor), we never felt threatened or afraid. We did go off season (9/10-9/17) and the weather was sketchy, but I managed to get a tan! Well worth the trip and I would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank lookinforlinks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
St. Catharines, Canada
Reviewed January 21, 2011

Excellent value. 15 restraunts within 5 minutes walk (Tapas, Bubba's Lantern Mall etc.
Boardwalk behind patio, Acrra beach 5 minutes walk. Pam and Trevor very helpful
Will go back

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Robert H
San Diego, California
Reviewed October 20, 2010

I wanted a real view of living in Barbados instead of my usual stay at the Hilton - and this was perfect. I stayed in the studio #4 - with a nice ocean view. I must say at first I was a bit skeptical when I saw the metal bar and padlock to the patio and warnings of always keeping things locked. But the neighborhood local were great and I did not feel at all in danger. The owners Pam & Trevor are wonderful and the housekeeper Ester is awesome and keeps the place spotless. The location is the best - just off the boardwalk on the sea and you can walk to everything - or take the local mini bus very easily. The apartment has everything you need to feel at home. There is no microwave - but Pam would have gotten me one if needed. I did just fine without it. Groceries are very expensive - Big B's is the best market for variety. You can walk there and a van will take you home - but you have to wait forever. I took a cab home - they are outside the market doors. Only downside was a couple of parties at the event place next door - on a night where I needed to get up at 5am. But even that wasn't bad - if you just give in to island life and listen to the wonderful music. I love Barbados and love Healthy Horizons and would go back. Be sure to visit Reggae Grill, Tapas and the Beach Bar at Allamanda Hotel. And it is worth a bus trip to Cuz's for a fish sandwich - next to the Hilton hotel. On Friday's take the bus to Oisten's for a great time - but be sure to catch a bus back by 12:30pm or you will have an expensive cab ride home. For hikers, I recommend the free Sunday hike by the Hike Barbados group - and ask Steve Menendes to transport you there. It was awesome. As for the beach, I would take the short walk to the Accra beach - free of rocks & great beach. You can run in for a beer/rum punch if needed too. Have fun! I'm ready to go back already.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
6 Thank APassion4TravelSusan
Manitoba
Reviewed January 22, 2010

We stayed in Barbados for a month over Christmas and spent the last two weeks at Healthy Horizons in a 3 bedroom unit.. It was very spacious with a well stocked kitchen. The unit was always clean and comfortable, with a living room fan and air conditioned bedrooms. The decor and furniture needed updating but served the purpose. Our unit faced a large yard with tables and lounge chairs. We enjoyed reading there and feeding the wild birds. We were basically on the boardwalk with a view of the ocean . This was great for swimming at Rockley Beach and exercising or just taking in the sunsets in the evening. We did have a number of people looking in the yard as they went by so don't expect total privacy. We had basic television and inconsistent Internet in our unit. This was annoying as we needed Internet access for work purposes and had to pay for use at a local place. Also, we figured any accommodation that was over $200 Us per night should have more than basic television but that's just my personal opinion. I was born in Barbados and travel there at least twice a year, staying with family at times. We don't need too much night life as we're older people and not into the party scene. We just want the creature comforts of home. The children and teens want Internet access. However,Trevor, our host was very good at working on the problem which seem to effect our unit only. There's a restaurant in front of the apartment. We ate there On New Year's. The food was average and pricey. They had lobster on the menu but we opted for steak and lamb chops. We recommend Opa restaurant next door for a delicious meal in the same price range. The restaurant at the Allamanda hotel a few doors down was good . KFC was practically next door and Big John's and Chefette were within walking distance for fast food lovers. Try the ice cream at Chilly Moos located in the Quayside mall down the street. Just Grilling is also good for a meal. Bert;s Bar is a good stop for drinks, sports and food. It's a Canadian hangout. Bubba's restaurant and sports bar is also good. Pisces restaurant and a few others in the gap worth trying. The roots and rhythm show and island safari are great value for the money. Hotel transfers, food and entertainment included in the price. Barbados is beautiful but expensive. I would recommend Healthy Horizons. The location is really great and the owners are helpful people. They're really security conscious and make you feel like you're at home.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
6 Thank travelbugger777
London
Reviewed August 11, 2009

Hi I have just spent four wonderful weeks in barbados at Healthy Horizon Apartments in Hastings. We stayed in the three bedroom apartment which is ideal for a family. The bedrooms are large and have air conditioning. There are two bathrooms and the apartment is very nicely decorated. Apartments are cleaned three times a week. Everything you need from an iron to microwave is available in the apartment. The apartment leads to a large area at the back where guests can relax and sit in the sunshine. There is a gate which leads to the boardwalk where you can take a walk or if you are feeling fit take a jog along the beach. It is truley a lovely sight. Accra beach is a couple of minutes along the boardwalk if you want to have a swim. Shops and restaurants are all nearby. The owners Trevor and pam are really great hosts and are allways on hand to make sure you are as comfortable as possible. If you want a comfortable homely feeling to you holiday this is the palce to stay I will defiently be staying here again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
4 Thank Cropover
Brooklyn
Reviewed June 2, 2009

I have been guest at this establishment on numerous occasions and I love the location since it allows me to travel to many activities within the area which enhance my vacation. The cleanliness of the apartments is a welcome addition and I would and do encourage my friends and relatives to vacation there.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank WillaAnton
Paphos, Cyprus
Reviewed January 1, 2008

Just spent 2 weeks in a studio apartment at Healthy Horizons and thoroughly enjoyed it.
The apartments are above a restaurant called "bistro monet" on the main road that runs thru' Hastings. You enter the studio into a kitchen area that has a full size cooker, huge fridge, and all the usual equipment, but no microwave. This leads into the bedroom and the bathroom is off the bedroom. The real treat for me was the large balcony with a fantastic sea view! I could lie in my bed and hear the waves! (studio number 4)
As a guest you have access to a garden at the back of the apartments which has a gate leading directly to the beach.. It's a 2 min walk along the beach to Rockley beach.
The location is good with lots of shops and restaurants around, and the buses pass right by.
My studio was ready for a coat of paint, but was clean, and the bedding and towels changed 3 times a week.
Although there is an office, the owners tend to be around only when expecting guests to check in. However Trevor gives you his phone number in case you need him for anything.
Worth noting......there is building work at the moment on the beach. My understanding is that there is a boardwalk being built and that it should be finished at the end of 2008. It didn't spoil my enjoyment of the venue, but it might be worth asking before booking, what the current situation is.

12 Thank missindy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hastings
Coconut Court Beach Hotel
#42 of 69 in Christ Church Parish
Angler Apartments
Angler Apartments
#21 of 25 in Saint James Parish

Been to Healthy Horizons Beach Apartments? Share your experiences!