“Blissful break in Barbados”

The SoCo Hotel-All Inclusive
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Hastings
London, United Kingdom
“Blissful break in Barbados”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stayed at the soco for a week at the end of June and had a brilliant time.

The rooms were clean, light and airy and the beds were huge and extremely comfortable! The balconys are also spacious and a lovely place to chill out with a beer watching the sea in the evening.

The pool is a good size and very clean, though we struggled to get sun beds some days as mentioned above in other reviews.

The food is great. A fair variety and even though my girlfriend is a veggie she always had a good choice to choose from. The menu also changed half way through our stay which was just right.

The staff are what really makes this place stand out though. Felix and Michelle at the bar are superb and go out of their way to provide a brilliant service and really make sure you get in the holiday mood. The restaurant staff are also very efficient and polite. Andrew in reception is also worth noting, he sorted out car rental and a turtle trip for us and made the whole thing very easy.

All in all the hotel is brilliant and we had a great week there. We would definitely recommend it to anyne wanting to get away for a relaxing week in the Caribbean sun, you will certainly come back rested!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank THOMAS D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
Antrim, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We returned home last week from our first trip to Barbados and the SoCo. There is not much to say that hasn’t already been said and I can relate to almost everything that has been written across the 30+ reviews on TripAdvisor.

The hotel is lovely, compact and stylish and has some very good plus points. Décor is great, location excellent, and some of the staff are tremendous assets to the hotel – Michelle, Irleen, Alicia, and Michael in particular. However, the comments about loungers, food variety, road noise and door gaps are also fair and accurate, and need to be fixed if the hotel is to achieve its real potential.

A couple of further points – we found mosquitos in our room throughout the stay, despite keeping doors and windows closed and my suspicion is that the large gap under the door was the most likely entry point. I know the hotel is on a tropical island and mosquitos are to be expected – we have travelled extensively throughout Asia and elsewhere, and have never had insect bites in our hotel room. However, on raising the issue with hotel management, asking for the room to be sprayed, we were met with a mixture of incredulity and dismissiveness, and whatever action was taken was short term to say the least. For a 4 star hotel, this isn’t good enough, and I can’t imagine a Hilton or Starwood property would be so blasé about such an issue. I know also that other hotel guests had similar problems during our stay.

Finally, it should be said that, on the basis of conversations I had with other guests, there is a lot of goodwill towards the hotel from its customers. That in my view makes it all the more odd that hotel management does not make any effort to harness feedback and learn from the experiences that customers have had. Perhaps the managers’ cocktail party is when this would take place but ours was cancelled because of Tropical Storm Chantal, but on checkout, there seemed to be no interest in how our stay had been. Perhaps having raised the mosquito issue we were deemed to be negative although I hope and feel that this review shows this not to be the case.

Would I return to the SoCo? Maybe but the next year I think will be pivotal in whether the SoCo learns from customers, and addresses a few issues, none of them major or necessarily costly, that prevents the hotel from being a real gem.

Room Tip: Almost all are excellent. Like others, I wouldn't necessarily pay extra for a deluxe room as muc...
4 Thank carr6775
uk
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Justr returned earlier this week from a lovely stay at the SoCo hotel ! Just 20mins or so from the airport, we were welcomed warmly and given the 1st of many coctails over the week ! We were shown to our room, which unfortunatley, had my worst feature ...an Interconnecting door ! I had specifically requested a room without one, and by chance got given one ( I dont think there are many interconnecting rooms there actually ! ) . I went back to reception, told them the situation, and it was dealt with immediatley & without fuss. We were infact upgraded to a larger room, which was beautiful . The rooms all face the sea, have a huge King bed, flat TV , IPOD dock, large sofa bed and light furnishings, all very pleasing and restful on the eye .
Our balcony was spacious and overlooked the pool and sea as they all do .
Pool area itself, is beautifully arranged, large loungers, with cushions, umbrellas as well as large sofas and chairs, all very nice.
Early reviews, people complained about the lack of sunloungers, well, I have to say, we had no problem at all !
Yes there is the demon 'sunbed baggers' present in the hotel, in fact most mornings by about 0630 alot of beds are reserved.....BUT , they do have beds on the beach too, which we liked and this did not require 'dawn patrol' !! We personally liked the morning on the beach, then when it became too hot ( as no shade on beach ) , after lunch we would lie by the pool.
During our stay , another 6-8 loungers arrived for use on the beach too, so they are addressing the situation.
The hotel that ACTUALLY enforces a no sun bed reservation policy, and sticks to it from the outset, will be a world leader !!!!! Come on SoCo.....you could rise to the challenge :)
Food at the hotel really is excellent, all waiter served , and the staff are delightful throughout.
No buffets at SoCo, which is great .Breakfasts are varied, a really good English breakfast is available and the Eggs Benedict were fantastic too !
Lunch is very enjoyable, great fish, burgers, pizzas, salads....all beautifully presented and fresh !
Evening meals are again superb, great presentation and normally a 'special' dish of the day too, one night we had a Shepherds Pie' , it was delicious !!!!
Some people complained that the menu wasn't changed enough, for us, it was changed on day 2 ...which was a shame as there were some dishes there I liked the look of too !
I did suggest to the hotel that they change the menu 2-3 times a week....would make sense I think !
The bar staff are wonderful , all very friendly, they mix up some lovely cocktails, and on occasion will bring a concotion they have created around the pool for all to try, or some delcious Pink lemonade !
The staff here deserve a special mention, Christine, who welcomed us so warmly and sorted my room issue out , the lovely security chap, who showed us to the room ( his name escapes me ) , Alicia, the restaurant Manager, Arlene, Felix,Michelle and Neil who plied us with drinks at very regular intervals !
SoCo, is a lovely hotel, great rooms,( some people found the road noisy, have to say, it didn't bother us at all, )great location ....on a very nice small beach, with the clearest water and walkable to Bridgetown or Rockley if you want to !
Go try it !

Room Tip: All rooms are lovely, we like a high floor
3 Thank BricklayerUk
Herne Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 18, 2013

As my title above shows, I have real difficulty deciding upon my rating for this hotel.We Booked it
at a special price with Tropical Sky which seemed good value.

The hotel itself is very nice. The rooms and balconies are a good size and well furnished and the aircon is good. The beds are very comfortable and a very good size. The view is very pleasant too from all of the rooms (except the 2 on the pool level). The beach is great but there is no shade at all so if you do need some rest from the sun you need to go and sit near the pool area where there is shade. The hotel is very small so the only entertainment in the evenings is talking to other guests around the bar. There are a number of people employed at this hotel who were outstanding in their duties, Michelle and Felix at the bar and Alicia in the restaurant particularly.

I could not recommend this hotel as suitable for young children (for a variety of reasons) or people who cannot handle stairs (no lift).

When I write a review of a hotel or restaurant I always try to concentrate on the good points, however in this instance I am going to go into some details about the poor points.

1. Food - The evening menu has normally 4 or 5 main dishes included (3 extra charge). The
hotel recently wrote on trip advisor (5th July) that they had listened to their
customers and had started changing their menu 2 times per week. We were
at the hotel until 1 week after this and the 2 per week is in fact every 6 days.
It gets extremely boring after a couple of days. Following a number of complaints
from guests the chef laid on 3 specials for the next night and virtually everyone
took those options. If you like food that is liquidised then you will undoubtedly
enjoy the food. If like me you like to see a vegetable or potato during your holiday
you may like to think again. I got quite excited on the plane home when I saw and
ate some carrot ! There is also no children's menu available.

2. Website The SoCo website says occasional entertainment but didn't see any at all

3. Rooms The website also says that tea and coffee making facilities are in the rooms.
In our first room we had a coffee machine - no coffee/ tea/cups etc. In our
second room (the hotel asked us to move due to a flight delay the previous
week!) we didn't even have a machine ! The doors do not seem to fit properly
nor do they lock properly, so people going out at 6AM to claim a sunbed have
to slam their doors to close them (see No 6 also).

4. Cleaning The rooms were not cleaned as well as we would have expected. The shower
screen didn't seem to be done, sand always in the corners and edges of shower,
bed not changed regularly.

5. Sunbeds I read a lot on sites before we went about shortage of sunbeds and were assured
that this was being sorted out. It wasn't. There are about 15 sunbeds around the
pool area and some 10 on the beach. When we spoke to Nicole (Manager) on our
first night (at a cocktail party) we were told that if we didn't get a sunbed we could
always lay on our towels! The hotel makes great issue that they have ordered
some more -Nicole told us they would be 6-8 months to arrive, however unless
they get rid of some of the imitation Rattan chairs and tables which are not
used that often, then they be of the beach variety. Every morning towels were
on all sunbeds around pool by 6.30. I do not go on holiday to get up early just
to reserve a sunbed. We always used the ones on the beach, but there were
rarely any spare ones. In all 25 sunbeds for 24 rooms is just not enough.

6. Noise The doors all have big gaps around them, which lets in lots of noise from the
very busy road only some 20 feet away. There is also a bus stop right outside
where taxis and buses hoot their horns from about 6am, therefore coinciding
with people slamming doors (bad locks) on way down to reserve their sunbeds !
If you are a very light sleeper expect to wake up very early.

All in all our holiday in Barbados was good but could have been a lot better. I enjoy my food
but would prefer to eat it with a knife and fork not a spoon or straw.

Don't get me wrong the hotel is fine, it just needs to decide, is it a Hotel with a restaurant or
a restaurant that is also a hotel, which is the priority?, and also to resolve the above issues.

12 Thank Bycroft
Newquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2013

What an amazing first experience of Barbados. There aren't many hotels where you'd receive a personal handshake and warm and friendly greeting from a character like William; we knew straight away that we were in good hands.

The decision to stay at the SoCo hotel shouldn't be a difficult one. If a small yet high quality boutique hotel literally on the beach isn't enough, the wonderful staff make this place what it is. The bedrooms are well proportioned and the bed was incredibly comfortable!

We had an amazing experience, made all the better by the outstanding service extended to us by the wonderfully friendly Michelle and the hugely entertaining Felix, the service in the restaurant was friendly and relaxed (Chantal and Neil stood out to us) and how lucky the SoCo are to have Andrew at the helm in the kitchen; his international travels have certainly helped him to create a high quality menu.

If you don't like rum, you might change your mind by the time you are thinking about heading home!

Huge credit to Mr. Taylor for embarking upon a project like this - I'm sure many customers will have very fond memories of The Soco Hotel, we certainly have! It was a pleasure meeting the General Manager (Mr. King) too - he can be very proud of the team that he has assembled, the level of hospitality surpassed our expectations.

Room Tip: With all rooms facing towards the sea, everybody gets a share in the amazing view. The ground floor...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Juan_Matador
Gunnislake, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 15, 2013

i returned from the soco hotel last week having stayed there a week with my sister.fantastic hotel! we went there for a chill week which we really did have.best part as everyone is saying was the staff.albert the security man was a complete star.all of the staff in every department really should have a mention but they know who they are.THANKS GUYS! we swam most of the days in the channel of pure turquoise water right in front of the hotel.there are turtles there which swim within feet of you which was wonderful.we also saw a ray.the hotel is very small,only 24 rooms but this was great as all of the holiday makers talk to each other and its like one big family.they were all great.room was lovely.we asked for tea making facilities as there was none in the room also an iron,they arrived within 15mins.thats service for you.the food was lovely BUT needs a more frequent change as gets very boring.but thats the only thing i would criticise.if they were short staffed in the restaurant the management helped out which i thought was great.my sister and i would love to go back there.just have to save up now! barbados itself is the friendliest island i have ever been to and ive been to a few.wonderful people,helpful and always smiling but then look where they live.stunning place.thankyou soco for a stressfree fantastic holiday.hopefully see you soon.regards the sisters!x

Room Tip: if you have a problem with stairs you will have problems as no lifts but there is rooms on ground fl...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank cornishpasty66
Warwick, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2013

This is a small, quiet hotel. All aspects of the service are excellent. This is not a hotel for those who are looking for entertainment 9am till midnight. This is a gem, chic, stylish with comfortable facilities, a chef that understands food and bar staff that will keep you going morning till night! My daughter and I loved it and I am sure we will not be the only ones who do. With regard to the number koof sunbeds, take time out to see the rest of the island, it is well worth it, base yourself around the pool when you need to. Andrew, in the kitchen, has real skill and the variety of the food offering will develop. Michelle and Felix are masters behind the bar. Beware 'no' is not an option. And do not forget both the restaurant and housekeeping staff, not so high in profile but pivitol in delivering a high standard of comfort. We look forward to coming back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hastings
Ocean Two Resort & Residences
#1 of 9 in Hastings
The Crane Resort
The Crane Resort
#1 of 4 in Saint Philip Parish

Been to The SoCo Hotel-All Inclusive? Share your experiences!