As my title above shows, I have real difficulty deciding upon my rating for this hotel.We Booked it
at a special price with Tropical Sky which seemed good value.
The hotel itself is very nice. The rooms and balconies are a good size and well furnished and the aircon is good. The beds are very comfortable and a very good size. The view is very pleasant too from all of the rooms (except the 2 on the pool level). The beach is great but there is no shade at all so if you do need some rest from the sun you need to go and sit near the pool area where there is shade. The hotel is very small so the only entertainment in the evenings is talking to other guests around the bar. There are a number of people employed at this hotel who were outstanding in their duties, Michelle and Felix at the bar and Alicia in the restaurant particularly.
I could not recommend this hotel as suitable for young children (for a variety of reasons) or people who cannot handle stairs (no lift).
When I write a review of a hotel or restaurant I always try to concentrate on the good points, however in this instance I am going to go into some details about the poor points.
1. Food - The evening menu has normally 4 or 5 main dishes included (3 extra charge). The
hotel recently wrote on trip advisor (5th July) that they had listened to their
customers and had started changing their menu 2 times per week. We were
at the hotel until 1 week after this and the 2 per week is in fact every 6 days.
It gets extremely boring after a couple of days. Following a number of complaints
from guests the chef laid on 3 specials for the next night and virtually everyone
took those options. If you like food that is liquidised then you will undoubtedly
enjoy the food. If like me you like to see a vegetable or potato during your holiday
you may like to think again. I got quite excited on the plane home when I saw and
ate some carrot ! There is also no children's menu available.
2. Website The SoCo website says occasional entertainment but didn't see any at all
3. Rooms The website also says that tea and coffee making facilities are in the rooms.
In our first room we had a coffee machine - no coffee/ tea/cups etc. In our
second room (the hotel asked us to move due to a flight delay the previous
week!) we didn't even have a machine ! The doors do not seem to fit properly
nor do they lock properly, so people going out at 6AM to claim a sunbed have
to slam their doors to close them (see No 6 also).
4. Cleaning The rooms were not cleaned as well as we would have expected. The shower
screen didn't seem to be done, sand always in the corners and edges of shower,
bed not changed regularly.
5. Sunbeds I read a lot on sites before we went about shortage of sunbeds and were assured
that this was being sorted out. It wasn't. There are about 15 sunbeds around the
pool area and some 10 on the beach. When we spoke to Nicole (Manager) on our
first night (at a cocktail party) we were told that if we didn't get a sunbed we could
always lay on our towels! The hotel makes great issue that they have ordered
some more -Nicole told us they would be 6-8 months to arrive, however unless
they get rid of some of the imitation Rattan chairs and tables which are not
used that often, then they be of the beach variety. Every morning towels were
on all sunbeds around pool by 6.30. I do not go on holiday to get up early just
to reserve a sunbed. We always used the ones on the beach, but there were
rarely any spare ones. In all 25 sunbeds for 24 rooms is just not enough.
6. Noise The doors all have big gaps around them, which lets in lots of noise from the
very busy road only some 20 feet away. There is also a bus stop right outside
where taxis and buses hoot their horns from about 6am, therefore coinciding
with people slamming doors (bad locks) on way down to reserve their sunbeds !
If you are a very light sleeper expect to wake up very early.
All in all our holiday in Barbados was good but could have been a lot better. I enjoy my food
but would prefer to eat it with a knife and fork not a spoon or straw.
Don't get me wrong the hotel is fine, it just needs to decide, is it a Hotel with a restaurant or
a restaurant that is also a hotel, which is the priority?, and also to resolve the above issues.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The SoCo Hotel, located in the heart of Barbados’ south coast, offers an adult all-inclusive holiday in a boutique environment. Ideal for the discerning traveller looking for a modern, high quality hotel facility, The SoCo Hotel provides an uncluttered, chic holiday. Great food and drinks, friendly service, and one of the best views in Barbados are all part of The SoCo Hotel experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire and getaroom.com so you can book your The SoCo Hotel-Adults Only All Inclusive reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The SoCo Hotel-Adults Only All Inclusive Barbados/Hastings