“Fantastic hotel, brilliant location on the best beach”

Coconut Court Beach Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Hastings
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Fantastic hotel, brilliant location on the best beach”
Reviewed February 6, 2011

The service we experienced from all the staff at Coconut Court was professional and friendly at all times. Our room was brilliantly located with an ocean view and was cleaned every day by the very efficient housekeepers. Rooms are basic, value for money, & have everything you need - spending most of the time on the beach or out and about, we don't need much more! There are hairdryers in the bathroom, but not much power from them girls. However, it soon dries in the heat :) The location is absolutely perfect - much better than some of the more expensive higher classed hotels along the same stretch - stunning beach front, shallow snorkelling area right out the front of the hotel, plenty of sunloungers (free), plenty of shade from the palm trees if you need it as well (because it gets VERY hot especially around midday to 2.30pm)! The hotel has a relaxed atmosphere, everyone is friendly and you can really tell this is a well run family owned hotel, due to the personable service you receive. I personally never used the pool, as I prefer swimming in the sea myself, but I did use the jacuzzi which was lush! We stayed B&B and we had a good choice every day for 14 days (we didn't get bored). We loved the fact that the birds come and joined us every day for breakfast (hey you're in the Caribbean - don't stress about a few birds)... top tip, get your drinks first before getting your breakfast as you may find you are sharing it with the wildlife :) We had lunch here a few times and everything we had was delicious. If you want to eat out, there are plenty of places within walking distance. Just behind the hotel we recommend the Italian - Mamma Mia's - where you can eat in or get takeaway. Or take a walk along the beach and onto the Boardwalk and you will soon find plenty of places to eat and drink. If you want to venture further afield pay BB$2 to go along to St Lawrence Gap (loads of restaurants) or down to Oistins (you must go to the Fish Fry on a Friday night!) Sunsets watched from this beach were awesome! We took Ted's Tour on my 40th Birthday and he made it a laugh a minute all day long... highly recommended! We also went on a boat trip with El Tigre (go to the hotel shop for all trips/hire car) and they will book for you... we snorkelled with the sea turtles which was the most amazing experience and one NOT to be missed!! The staff were very helpful and the shop (open 8.30-5.30) stocks everything you need if you forget anything. I certainly hope to return to Barbados and would definately come back to this hotel (and I've never said that before about anywhere I've been)... I think I have the "Barbados Bug" - it's a stunning place. Keep up the good work Coconut Court - hope to see you again soon!

2 Thank HolidayMinx71
islandgirl1972, Owner at Coconut Court Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2011
Dear Friend,
I absolutely loved reading your review! Thank you so much for your kind sentiments. I am really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us at Coconut Court. Like you, I love the beach in front of the hotel. Quite frequently when eating lunch in the Deck Restauarant, I tell Jason and Mark that I should be under a coconut tree with margarita in hand! (LOL)
Yes, we are a relaxed hotel. Not much fuss here, just a great place to chill out and recharge your batteries. Our location is unbeatable, rooms clean and the price is right.
Thanks for mentioning my brother Ted. He gives such a wonderful tour to visitors. Sometimes I think that people think that I am biased because he is my big brother but honestly, he is just the best tour guide that you could hope for. He knows everything about Barbados and he is incredibly funny! He must know at least a million jokes. How does he remember all of this stuff? Anyway, thanks again for taking the time to give us such a nice write-up. We loved having you as our guest and hope to see you again soon. Take care and have fun!
Best wishes, Linda, Jason, Mark and yoru friends and family at Coconut Court.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (710)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 6, 2011

We love Coconut Court and this was our fourth visit. Our last visit before this one being 2006. Great family run hotel with exceptionally friendly staff.

The rooms are large and clean with most having uninterupted seas views. We asked for a room next door to our friends which did not happen but I think this is probably the fault of the tour operator and not the hotel. However we did ask to change and although there seemed to be rooms available that didn't happen.
Next time I will book with the hotel direct.

We loved the fact the dining room overlooks the ocean but sometimes the birds became intrusive. I suppose the answer is to have nets but may spoil the view.

Breakfast was good and the odd lunch and evening meal were fine too.

Loved the evening band entertainment.

Coconut court is in a beautiful location and within easy reach of a number of good restaurants and local cuisine -The fish cutters from the rum shacks are great too. Easy to get to other locations by bus and see the other side of the island.

It was a treat to meet Linda as we were leaving and loved the gifts in our room. Many thanks to you and staff for those and for our stay.

PS what happened to the table tennis table we loved that?

Lynne and Patrick

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Lynne & Patrick,
so lovely of you to write this review for us. I was very pleased to see you both again and to chat with you before you left for home. I am very happy that you enjoyed your holiday with us. Sorry that you were not able to be accomodated next door to your friends. Sometimes, it can be very difficult to do this if there are overlapping bookings in the same rooms. I am sorry for the birds too; we have tried nets but found that it did not really keep the birds out. In fact, it kept them in! I hope that next time you will decide to book directly with us. We are in the process of building a new website for the hotel and there will be a direct booking facility on it for those guests like you that would prefer to book with us rather than through a tour operator. Please be sure to join our Facebook page so that you can keep in touch with us throughout the year. Keep posted for our newsletter too. We hope that you have a wonderful summer in the UK and we look forward to welcoming you both back to Coconut Court again soon. Best wishes to you both and a big warm hello to Keith and Daphne too. Linda, Jason, Mark and your Coconut Court family.
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed February 3, 2011

Coconut Court is a genuine family run hotel. Not high on frills but it delivers true value , friendliness and comfort in a no huss no muss way. The beach is great , the two bars are "really Island " and overall if anyone does not have agood time there it is thei fault not te hotel or its staff. Some facilities need to be updated - we believe that is being undertaken as this is written - and while we found the front deak staff willing to make reservations at restaurants they did not have constructive suggestions as which ones to go to and which to avoid.A little " concierge " training would be beneficial.
If you want a relatively low cost holiday in a very nice uncomplicated and genuine hotel Coconut Court is for you. But don't all of you reading this book a stay - we want to go back too !!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
islandgirl1972, Owner at Coconut Court Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2011
Bonjour Mon Ami!
Thank you very much for writing such a lovely review for us. I am so glad that you enjoyed our little family run hotel. It is my job this year to make our hotel even more "Bajan" thank ever. This might sound a little crazy but I think it is very important for our guests to enjoy a true Caribbean vibe while they ar staying with us. We have plans to improve our hotel as our budget permits this year and we have some great ideas on how to make our hotel more relaxing, more Bajan and more friendly than ever. Thanks for your tips on the Front Desk staff. I guess that with Scott and Kathy looking after most of our guests diniing inquiries, they are probably a little rusty. I will bring up this point with Allison and Russell so that we can make your suggested improvements in this area. Thanks so much for taking the time to write about us and we sincerely hope that you will be back soon to see us. Dont worry, I am sure that we will have some room for you. All the best to you and your family from all of us here at Coconut Court - Linda, Jason, Mark and all of your friends at The Coconut!
London, Canada
Reviewed February 2, 2011

With the exception of a couple issues, we absolutely loved our stay at the Coconut Court. The service was impeccable and we can't say enough great things about all of the staff whether it was the restaurant, beach bar, front desk, housekeeping or the maintenance staff, they were all great! The beach was as perfect as you would want but using rock shoes is a good idea to get past the bit of stones initially getting into the water. The food at the restaurant was as good as you would want for a hotel rated like this but we think it was as good as many hotels rated much higher. We did the all inclusive package which we believe was fair value for what we got. It was nice not having to worry about what we ordered whether at the bar or food. The only drawback is that there are many great restaurants nearby that one would like to try. The only unfortunate parts of our stay were to do with the wi-fi service that was listed as being free in our travel package; it wasn't as of the week before we left. This was a major influencer for us for this property as we needed to stay in contact with home while away. And the charges to use their wi-fi was so significant I would not use it and sought out other hotels with free wi-fi (such as the Acra). The only other inconvenience was when cruise ships were in. The hotel allowed cruise ship people and people from other hotels nearby to use the beach at Coconut Court. The issue was, on those days it was difficult, if not impossible to get lounge chairs on the beach, so much for being a hotel guest. Otherwise, we would highly recommend this hotel and would likely return.

Dear Friend,
thank you very much for writing such a nice review for us. We are really glad that you had such a great time while staying with us. I appreciate you mentioning all of our staff. We really have a nice bunch of people working here, many of whom have been at Coconut Court for a number of years. Thanks too for mentioning our fair value food and drinks package. We have always tried to offer good value to our guests and it is nice to see that this old fashioned value is still noted and appreciated. We have had to make some changes to our WIFI service as the system that we had put in several years ago was now severely outdated and the internet service sporadic at best with the only decent reception being the hotel lobby and the pool deck. There is a cost to the new WIFI system (US$5 for one hour - US$15 for 24 hours - US$100 for one week) but I do not think that this is unreasonable considering the cost of the equipment. There is also a wired service located in the lobby which is considerably more expensive at US$10 for 30 minutes. Please note that this service is not ours and we are subject to the prices set by the company that owns the equipment. There are however, several internet cafes within walking distance from the hotel. The beach: All beaches in Barbados are public so we cannot control the number of persons that use it. However, we know that the beach chairs are being used by persons other than our guests. We are presently interviewing for the new position of Beach Attendant at Coconut Court as we recognize that the use of our beach chairs must be more controlled. Please note that we are working on this issue right now and our guests can expect to see a marked improvement in the service provided on the beach within the very near future.
Thanks again for taking the time to write about us and we look forward to welcoming you back to Coconut Court very soon again. Have a great spring and summer up North!
Best Wishes, Linda, Jason, Mark and the rest of the Coconut Court family.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 1, 2011

On 20th January 2011, we arrived at Coconut Court late at night exhausted after two days of heavy travelling from Australia. We were a party of four having booked and paid for our stay in October 2010. On arrival, an apologetic manager Alice Sylvester told us that they were overbooked and that there was no room for us. She mentioned that a group booking of 30 had filled all available rooms. There was no satisfactory answer given as to why this had not been remedied sooner given our booking had been confirmed in writing over three months earlier, leaving the issue unresolved until we arrived late at night after two exhausting days of travel. It seems that management of Coconut bumped our booking of 4 after a more lucrative offer of a group booking of 30 was made, notwithstanding that we had paid in full for our stay. This was not only unacceptably disappointing and professionally unethical but showed total disregard for the plans we had made months earlier and confirmed. Had we been advised earlier, expectations and alternative plans could have been managed better.
Coconut Court management then arranged alternative accommodation for us at the Blue Orchids Beach Hotel. The accommodation at this hotel was good but we had issues with the breakfast being included in our original booking at Coconut Court, its proximity to Bridgetown and other restaurants, and no bar facilities. No refund or discount was offered.
The way we were treated by Coconut Court management was very disappointing. We had previously stayed at Coconut Court in 2010 and were happy with its standard, location and facilities and as such, chose it again. We won’t be coming back. I strongly recommend to all people intending staying at Coconut Court to confirm your reservations by phone prior to commencing travel.

6 Thank vk300vic
islandgirl1972, Owner at Coconut Court Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 3, 2011
Dear Friend,
thank you for taking the time to write this review for us. I can understand your disappointment at being outbooked on arrival. Please note that this is not a regular occurence at Coconut Court and it has happened very rarely in the past. Your booking was made through a third party and as such we did not have any contact information for you - otherwise, I would have emailed you to explain the situation to you in advance. Instead, we tried our best to make the transition as smooth as possible - once you arrived at Coconut Court you were met by the Duty Manager, Allison who had specifically stayed late in the evening so that she would be available to greet you and explain the situation to you personally. A taxi was called to take you to Blue Orchids and you were there within minutes as that hotel is located less than a ten minute drive away from Coconut Court. I specifically chose Blue Orchids for you because this hotel is also located on the beach, it is very close to Coconut Court, breakfast is included and the property is family owned and operated like we are. I made the booking for you at Blue Orchids in advance so there would be no waiting on your arrival while we sourced alternate accomodation. All of that was done before your arrival so that you could be moved with the least amount of time wasted and/or inconvenience. In addition to this, I personally wrote cards to each of you to apologise for outbooking you to another hotel and I sent along a gift as well. I know that this does not make up for the inconvenience caused but I was unable to change the circumstances and hoped that you might understand. I can assure you that customer satisfaction is our number one priority at Coconut Court and we are very sorry that we disappointed you. As mentioned at the beginning, an outbooking is extremely rare and it is only done if there is no other solution available and all other alternatives have been explored and exhausted. We hope that you enjoyed your Caribbean cruise and hope that you will return to Barbados in the future. Best wishes Linda, Jason, Mark and the staff at Coconut Court Beach Hotel
Bogart, GA
Reviewed February 1, 2011

Pros: large, clean rooms (lacking in decor); endless beach. Ted's Tours was exceptional. Ted is charming, charismatic, outgoing, knowledgeable. Cons: service was abysmal (surly, rude, indifferent) with a few exceptions; menu became monotonous. Until and unless the service improves, I wouldn't recommend Coconut Court.

• Stayed January 2011
Dear Friend,
thank you for taking the time to write this review for us. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us but appreciate you noting that our hotel is located on a wonderful beach and that our rooms are large and clean. Thanks too for mentioning my brother Ted and his island tour and transportation services. He is truly a knowledgable and funny guy and he operates an excellent service from Coconut Court. With regards to the menu choices - we are traditionally a bed and breakfast hotel - yes, we do offer various meal packages to persons that request this option but there are lots of restaurants within walking distance from the hotel so the packages are not necessary if you are willing to experiment and be adventurous. However, our meal packages offer very good value for money and remain popular with those traveling on a budget. I am very sorry that you found the service offered at Coconut Court to be less than acceptable. We pride ourselves on very high standards of service at Coconut Court Beach Hotel and very rarely receive any complaints in this regard. In fact we regularly recieve very warm and commendable comments from our guests about the friendly and polite service at Coconut Court. I am sorry that you were disappointed but hope that you will return to Barbados in the future. If you are interested in an all inclusive resort holiday then there are many options available on the South and West coasts of the island. Best wishes, Linda, Jason, Mark and the rest of the team at Coconut Court Beach Hotel.
laguna beach
Reviewed January 30, 2011

this great - low key hotel , hides some of the finest beaches you will find in barbados
Lucky I said - another return trip
( the board walk - the walk to the hilton & the point and castle - so close to town SOOO convenient and a wonderful beach to beach to beach walk, sharing time with such friendly and interesting locals - should be an excursion , glad its not )
We got a great deal on the room , booking directly last summer , no agents , no fees etc.
we didn't get the room we asked for - but close to it by a floor , and it was fine .
Our flight was very very late - the staff were aware - got us to our room asap - we slept - and all was sorted out the next day - the staff there are always very accommodating and helpful
I wouldn't come back 3 times in 4 years if the place wasn't somewhere nice to be
I would recommend for excurtions due to the number of bookings through the hotel for excursions that you keep a close eye on times days etc as these things can change due to numbers day of week etc and the numbers of people booking , depending on how busy it is - things do get cancelled - watch out …….
Great POINTS - the beach there is great . the staff helpful , and ther's loads to do , they'll help you get there
SAD POINTS - in the few years I've been there , quantity and quality - in the hotel for food drinks have declined - but economic changes like this have happened everywhere
Great place - great people - great location
Thank you to all at the CCH - hope I can get back there again to see you guys , because you make a vacation great
Best wishes of all to Mrs Blade ( Snr ) it was great to see you , and see you doing well
-Island love and hugs to you guys
- from Scott & Martin from Laguna Beach CA

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
islandgirl1972, Owner at Coconut Court Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2011
Dear Scott & Martin,
thanks so much for writing such a kind review for us. I am so glad that you love our great, low key hotel. We are not a fancy place but our rooms are clean, the staff friendly and as you rightly pointed out our beach and general location are unbeatable. Scott and Kathy offer a helpful service in the Mosaic Gift Shop if you need some help to plan your holiday and to book tours, sailing trips etc. You are correct, sometimes a tour will be canceled by the tour provider if there are not enough participants. In these economic times, this is a reality for some of the smaller operators on the island. I hope that this did not happen to disappoint you. If it did then I apologise for any inconvenience caused. Thank you for mentioning our positive points (beach, staff etc.) and I am sorry that you found some sad points too. Yes, the economy has affected everyone but we do try to maintain our standards as far as quality and quantity are concerned. Please be assured that we will continue to improve every aspect of the hotel as time and budget permits. Let's hope that this economy will get better as time goes by. I hope that you will enjoy a great 2011 in Laguna Beach and we look forward to your next visit. Until your next visit, take care and best wishes from Linda, Jason, Mark and all of your family and friends at Coconut Court Beach Hotel.
ps. thanks for remembering my Mum, Lorraine. I will be sure to pass on your regards to her personally.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hastings
Ocean Two Resort & Residences
Butterfly Beach Hotel
Beach View
Beach View
#1 of 26 in Saint James Parish

Been to Coconut Court Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!