“No frills but great location!”

Coconut Court Beach Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Hastings
USA
“No frills but great location!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

I would call the Coconut Court an "extreme no frills" hotel. The do not provide soap or shampoo. The towels are like sand paper. The pillows are kind of hard; as is the mattress. But, the room was clean, we had a fridge and microwave and the water was hot in the shower. The location of our room was AMAZING! We could throw a rock and hit the ocean and we had a great little patio area that was steps from the bar and restaurant.

I would not waste my money at the restaurant, though. The food was not good and it was kind of pricey.

The location is good, but if you do not rent a car, you will have to pay for cabs, and I hear they can be expensive.

The front desk staff was very nice and helpful, but the bar and restaurant staff was a bit on the cold and indifferent side. I am an American, but I travel extensively and I try not to come across as your typical "ugly American", but I felt like the staff did not like me because I am American. They were short with me and not friendly, unlike 99% of everyone in Barbados.

I would recommend this hotel if you are not someone who demands luxury. It is bare bones and you are paying for location not amenities.

Room Tip: If you get a ground-floor room, you have to walk down steps as there is no elevator. BUT, you are b...
2 Thank pilotgroupie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (689)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

Came here only to find they put us next door to a building which was being renovated...banging, drilling and shouting all day long. They down-graded our room so that the full sea-view was no longer what we had. Our view was of the kitchens and tin roofs below! The food is disgusting...had to spit the steak out! The carpet is dirty and disgusting leading from the dining area. The sun loungers are covered in bird-mess with no-one to help you lift them off and put them down on the beach. You have to pay every day for beach towels and the pool was often closed due to cleaning or maintanance. We had problems with air-con for a whole week so had to endure sleepless hot nights without it working. The toilet became blocked and took all morning to repair. Went to take a shower this morning only to find there was no water!!!! We complained and met with the owner of the hotel whereby he apologised and offered us a free 5 day stay in the future as compensation!!! You must be joking. DO NOT STAY AT THIS DREADFUL HOTEL. We talked to other guests and they checked themselves out and stayed elsewhere. This is our last day here and we can't wait to go home. Worst trip ever.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
17 Thank edwina l
islandgirl1972, Owner at Coconut Court Beach Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Guest, I read your review carefully several times before writing this response.

Firstly I would like to apologise for the noise and inconvenience caused by the scheduled renovations taking place at the hotel. You requested to move rooms and you chose to be accommodated in Room #53 which is located on the top floor of our West wing, as far away from the closed area as possible. This room enjoys a lovely view of the ocean and is regularly requested by several of our repeat guests.

Secondly, I apologize for the maintenance issues that you experienced. Yes, there was an issue with your toilet but it was unblocked and repaired in less than one hour. The start log entry is 7:40am and the completed log entry is 8:50am. The air conditioner was checked first by our in-house maintenance technician and he could find nothing wrong with the unit. To satisfy you we then called an air conditioner repair technician from a local company. He serviced the unit but could find nothing wrong with it.

We tried to explain to you that we could not offer you cash compensation before you left as you had not booked directly with the hotel but through a tour company. We could not refund you for something that we have not received payment for. Instead, we offered you a voucher for a complimentary return stay with us which was actually worth more than the per person cash amount of GBP300 that you were demanding be paid to both you and your friend.

Our hotel regularly receives high commendation from hotel guests for cleanliness, value for money, and friendly service. My family and staff are reasonable people and only have the best interests of our guests at heart. We want everyone staying at Coconut Court to have a really great holiday. I appreciate all of the hard work that goes into running this hotel. We truly have a great team of people here and I think that our guests are some of the best in the world. So many friendships have been formed at Coconut Court over the years.

I did not appreciate it when you accused a member of our Front Desk staff of stealing your purse. The police were contacted and a report about the incident was filed. When your purse was returned - you had evidently left it on a catamaran - you never uttered one word of apology to our employees. Your incredible rudeness and obscene language towards a member of our Management team was the straw that broke the camel's back. I am never rude to guests but you should know that regardless of whether you are a paying customer or not, it does not give you the right to speak to us or treat us that way.

I think it fitting that I close by saying; Shame on You, Terrible Guest!

Sincerely, Linda, Jason, Mark and the great team at The Coconut.
Warwick, Rhode Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

Travelled in March as an add-on vacation to a business trip. Hotel is centrally located. It is a nice moderate hotel. Our room was clean, neat and comfortable. Unfortunately our view was of the roof of the restaurant but the beach was just beyond. Breakfast was nicely done - but we never had the buffet.

The customer service of the hotel was above and beyond. Our first room had a broken safe and we were easily moved to a room with a working one. Every interaction with the staff was a pleasure.
Negative would be the small pool. But with the beach, it wasn't a real negative.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Hornchurch, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

I'm sorry to have to title my review in such a way because this could be such a gem of a hotel, and not least for its budget status. The thing Is; I know Mark and Linda share passion for their hotel otherwise they wouldn't be investing the kind of money that the room refurb' is commanding. However, pretty rooms does not good service make.
We arrived as a party of four and didn't hear of the works going on until it really was too late to change our reservation. we booked through British Airways and even they didn't think it worthy of mentioning!
The noise, although necessary, really was tiresome at times, and thanks to Dawn H we also had to bare the brunt of chainsaws for a day and a half (attacked from all directions). as she had commented that one tree obscured the view from her room somewhat.
Speaking of the building works, I would also like to add that if staying in the higher numbered rooms to the left hand side of the hotel means that the ladies have to walk past the "leering" builders and although there were no wolf whistles...."your there to work lads not perv the hotel guests". I can understand that such a refurb is intrusive and one has to make the best of a bad situation in order to keep the hotel functioning whilst such work commences BUT.. Other than the building works, I would like to point out some good and bad about our recent trip. No bullet points, just facts or counter comments to other guests.
Whilst there, we saw many security guards, (good thing) carrying wood! this doesn't sound so good! We also noticed a couple of guards who seemed to feel that customer relations was their preferred role, spending more time chatting to guests (women guests) around the beach bar, than doing the job which they were obviously employed to do.
Beware beach pedlars, offering massages!! we witnessed theft of valuables whilst we were there and on more than one occasion. Whilst ones common sense isn't the Hotels responsibility, where were the security guards when they were about? chatting to the ladies by the bar maybe?
I can't criticise the "old" rooms too much even though we booked a double and got a twin, the air-con unit was more than a tad noisy, toaster didn't work, shower had a mind of its own in terms of temperature, no wifi unless standing on the balcony, pillows were both hard and high but after a couple of days two new ones were sourced. I am prepared for such things when paying the price we paid for this holiday and I believe some things could/would have been sorted had I asked.
House keeping, although passable, wasn't great but beds were made up and the floor was cleaned each day, however, the edges and ledges were far from good.
The beach is lovely and I am surprised to read some comments about "stones" etc, "its a beach". The man made reef that acts as a break water about 25 yards out offers safe and warm bathing with plenty of life to see under the water. I saw a gardener picking up leaves from the sand every day, keeping things looking tidy. There's lots of tree shade, lots of sun loungers, volley ball net, table tennis and the beach has (other than dodgy massage guys) a great vibe about it. Just as a footnote to the beach review, The beach bar isn't run by the hotel nor is the hotel restaurant which is a shame as for me it's the hotels greatest asset besides the beach. The beach bar also seems a better place when the very affable Antonio is working. notwithstanding the noble efforts of Michael of course, its just that things seem somehow more guest oriented and professional when Antonio's on. Maybe it was because lots of locals visit the restaurant on Sundays when Michael happens to be on duty, and as previously stated, because the bar and restaurant is managed externally this had a detrimental effect on hotel guests requesting food on the beach. Some had to wait near two hours for food and some people cancelled their order.
But if the beach isn't for you,there is of course the pool deck with plenty of sun loungers, parasols and two jacuzzi type plunge pools, all of which I never tried being a hardened beach lover.
I think what I'm trying to say here is that the hotel, although nice, seemed very disjointed. what I mean by this is; there doesn't seem to be a hotel duty manager that oversees and pulls everything together. I'm sure there must be but if there is, it might be an idea that guests know exactly who that is from day to day to voice concerns and to get help and advise. I'd like to give an example; on the day we left we asked reception if they could call us a taxi for our airport transfer. they were more than cooperative but suggested as they had a shuttle bus taking two guests already that we might like to share? makes sense to me, but after offering another two guests totalling 8 the same service, the shuttle service guy then tried to justify why he wanted to charge each room $40 instead of giving us a discount to take eight instead of just two. needless to say, we took a cab and saved $30. Who owned the shuttle service? is it a case of another outsourced contract like the restaurant and bar? if so, it would be wise to ascertain that contractor has your guests interests at heart. Note to management: whilst happy to pay for 3* accommodation, I don't expect 3* service.
I think if owners Linda and Mark employed a mystery guest for a week or so, they would notice very much more than what they glean from trip advisor, or the typical customer complaints to reception. I do however appreciate that if one reads a dozen or so comments on here, one soon realises what a difficult job, pleasing people is. "one mans firm pillow is another mans stiff neck" but I genuinely believe that the owners maybe too busy with works and marketing to see "the wood from the trees" in terms of how things are being run from day to day.

would I go again? most probably, after works are finished of course, if not only to see how the hotel runs without the works chaos, but also to see how the new rooms turned out. And guys if you need that mystery guest!!!!!

I hope You see this short review as fair, I've tried to be. I do however believe that with not too much effort, Coconut Court could feature very highly on TA but not without more pro active management.

Glenn and Suzanne
aka Ken and Barbie

Room Tip: upper floors seem to have best views but maybe less wifi coverage. lots of stairs which are very haz...
7 Thank AvinAgg
Dear Friend, thank you for taking the time to write this recent review. It was a pleasure to meet you and your partner while you were here. I am sorry that you were disappointed with some aspects of your stay but I am pleased that you have brought matters to my attention and will consider staying with us again in the future.

I was surprised to read your comments about the lack of customer service at the hotel. We regularly receive such high commendation from guests about our friendly and helpful staff. We are not perfect and we don't always get it right but overall our staff receive lots of praise for going the extra mile.

You stayed with us over the renovations period but I would like to mention that I first corresponded with your friends back in March (22nd) and we emailed back and forth about the scheduled work that would be taking place during your stay. I am sorry if you found the noise sometimes intrusive but we have stuck to our working times of 10am-12noon and 1-4pm. There was one morning when a skip was removed and replaced prior to 10am and this was an oversight on our part. We have since spoken to the skip removal company and this will not happen again. I am sorry that you were made to feel uncomfortable when walking past the closed area. I have already discussed this with my husband Jason and he will be taking up the issue with the foreman.

The tree trimming was carried out by the condo complex next door to us. We received no prior warning and as a result we were not able to advise our guests nor did we have any control over the time that it was done. While, I can understand your frustration and apologise for the inconvenience, we were not responsible for this.

We staff a 24 hour security service at the hotel. I take your comments on board about the security guards chatting with guests. This is something that I will discuss with the our team. Many times, our guests engage our employees and as we say in Barbados "A lot of long talk" ensues. Nevertheless, guest safety and comfort is number one priority and we will make any improvements necessary to ensure that our guests are well cared for. Thank you.

You mentioned one incident while we were chatting on the beach where you had witnessed a lady having her necklace stolen. Apparently she had removed it while receiving a massage from an unauthorised vendor. This was very upsetting and I am sorry for the lady's loss. Unfortunately, while most Barbadians are very polite and friendly, we have our share of crime and guests should be careful with valuables. We kindly ask our guests not to purchase goods and services from unauthorised vendors. We make this recommendation for the safety of our guests and I would like to ask that all persons reading this review please heed our advice.

I will bring up your points regarding the housekeeping service with our team leader, Honor. Again, this is an area that we regularly receive very high commendation from our guests. We are an older property and we go the extra mile to ensure that our hotel is kept spotlessly clean. As mentioned, if something was amiss then please let us know so that we can be given the opportunity to fix it. If you don't say anything then we will not know.

Thank you for praising our lovely beach. We take very special care of it and we employ two gardeners that rake it by hand every day. This avoids any damage to our nesting Hawksbill turtles (July to November) which is caused when machinery is used to scrape and rake the beach. Thank you for noticing.

Generally our restaurant and beach bar also receive good recommendations from our guests. Our food and beverage outlets have been leased for the last two years but please do not think that we have no control over the policies under which they operate. On the contrary, there are numerous guidelines that the food and beverage must meet and the entire operation is seamlessly connected to our main hotel operations. Several of the employees were originally employed by my family several years ago and they continue to work with us today. Antonio is one such person and he is a valued member of our team.

The incident that you are referring to when it took such a terribly long time to get food was on Sunday, May 12th which was Mother's day here in Barbados. We were overwhelmed with the number of local patrons and hotel guests that came to enjoy lunch with us. We were expecting a busy day but even we were surprised by the response. We simply could not handle the volume of business. I have since spoken to the food and beverage manager and we have agreed to set a limit to the number of reservations that we can accept without sacrificing our trademark friendly, efficient service. I am sorry for this unfortunate incident. Please note that this occasion was an exception to the rule and under normal circumstances our restaurant is able to complete and deliver food orders in a timely manner.

The airport shuttle service is relatively new and while we may have to make some adjustments, we have had no previous guest complaints and our rates are on par with the rest of the island. Although it is a shared service, our guests are met at the airport by our driver (holding a sign with guest name) and such a "meet and greet" service is more expensive than hailing a taxi from the ranks.

For future reference, we have a dedicated management team that are available to assist guests when we are not. Their names are clearly displayed directly above the clock at the Front Desk. If you need help with anything simply ask for assistance. We will be there to help you.

I don't expect our guests to receive 3 star service either. In fact, I am fond of saying that we are a 3 star hotel that offers 5 star service. And I believe that. Thankfully, most of our guests agree. I can assure you that our family business is foremost on our minds and we live and breathe this hotel everyday. We may not get it right all of the time but I think that overall we provide a good holiday experience. I am proud to say that just yesterday, we were awarded another Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence for 2013. Only the top-performing 10 percent of businesses listed on TripAdvisor receive this prestigious award.

Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Enjoy your summer. Best wishes, Linda, Jason, Mark and the team at Coconut Court
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

Group of 3,stayed 5 nites, May 13-18, 2013.

Booked beach-ocean front room (upgraded) and got a ground floor room with a small patio, and an unobstructed ocean view. Basic, dated, but served its purpose. Compared to other resorts, seemed a good deal. Would stay there again. Location is in most urbanized part of Barbados, very accessible. Note - for those who find stairs difficult - even at ground floor level, there are stairs to climb (when you go up to the street level).

Beach - water warm even early mornings, crystal clear when sun is shining brightly and especially at mid-day (low tide) when the ocean is relatively calm. Lots of shades from thick foliaged, short, almond trees. Also palm and seagrape trees. No palapas or umbrellas.

Man-made reef great - breaks the waves coming towards shore, gives a feeling of safety (no danger of accidentally swimming too far out), and shelters schools of fish.

Somwhat rocky ocean bed. Tip: in strong sunshine, you can see where the water is almost rock-free - this is a wide area fronting "The Deck" bar and restaurant. BTW - straight towards the reef, this is also where there are embedded clay pots fronting the reef where you can always find fishes - lots of. Wear water shoes/socks if stepping on pebbles and rocks bother you. Water shoes available at the resort for $12 (all prices here in US), at Walmart for much less. I like Speedo, available at Target and SportChek for $24-$25. Water level in front of reef maybe 3 ft. at low tide, maybe 5 ft at high tide.

Room amenities: Firm mattress (King and single, for 3 people), lumpy pillows. Bed linens changed often but not daily, towels changed on request, room cleaned well, daily. Fridge good size, bottle and can opener, small knife, cutlery, china for 4. No microwaveable largish container so only simple heating on plate or soup bowl. Electric kettle, toaster, iron & board, a/c, ceiling fan. Maid washes used dishes (tipping appreciated), which is great, as there is only one sink - the bathroom sink. Single narrow column of closet shelves, + sizeable space for hanging clothes. Enough space for luggage in the room. Just one towel bar in the small patio - to dry wet swim wear, you might want to bring a long strong string that can be strung across the depth of the patio. (Light in the hallway, partly streamed through the hallway window curtain, might bother some - perhaps bring eye shade.) Bring toiletries (only liquid soap available), facial tissues.

Hotel entertainment - none, except for music during buffets (Monday &Thursday nites, and I believe, Sunday brunch). There`s a pool, a kiddie and adult whirlpool - smelled of strong chemical use, however.

Bringing food? Barbados immigration did not seem to mind declared items - tea, coffee, sugar & honey, canned pates, rice gf bread.

The Deck bar and resto: Not bad. Prices - Continental and full breakfast $8 and $12 respectively, $14 for caesar salad with chicken, $25 Monday b-b-que buffet, $22.50 for Thursday curry nite and Friday Italian nite. Tried b-b-que and curry, both good.

Nearby eateries a-plenty, going the other direction from Bridgetown. Wait at the bus stop across the street. A 10 minute walk or very short bus or taxi (Z Rs) ride away is Lantern mall (small plaza) which has around 8 fastfoods - tried the bajan and the roti place - both very good. A meal for less than $10. Others - arabic (shawarmas), chinese, italian, cakes, ice cream. If you eat on the second floor, you get oceanview. KFC across the road from Lantern Mall. There is another plaza a bit farther down. Lots of other choices in the area (more on the casual dining side). The ubiquitous Chefette serves good fried chicken, beef or chicken rotis, burgers, ice cream, for very little ($5 roti). Across the street from the hotel is a deli place. Also Italian. Plus, the hotel`s Blue Room bar.

Supermarkets - there are two just a short ride away (bus stop across the road from the hotel). Tell the driver to let you off at the supermarket (Tri-Mart but there's another, Big B which is near Tri-mart but seems harder to find - check the hotel info binder in the room).

Shopping - Macy's or The Bay's version is Cave Shepherd- there`s a large branch at Bridgetown (on Broad street, close to Bridge Street). Bring a photocopy of your passport as duty-free presents substantial savings. If you pay in USD, you`ll get change in same. Lots of other shops in Bridgetown. Tony/high-end shopping at Holetown (blue and yellow buses go straight there, from the hotel, around 45 minutes ride, with all the stops. Closer to the hotel but taking 2 ZR rides away is Sheraton plaza (billed as 120 shops) - not worth the trip although there`s some good swim wear there, around $80.

Public transport - hotel location very accessible, lots of transport options available. US $1 (or Barbadian $2) for every ride, regardless of distance travelled. Both currencies accepted. Bus stops marked either `To City` for going towards the capital -Bridgetown, or ``Out of the City`` for the other direction. At the hotel, the stop at the same side of the hotel is going towards Bridgetown. Cross the street for the bus stop for Oistins (don`t miss the Friday Fish frys - or grill) and the nearby eateries and supermarkets. Make sure to cross at the cross walk.

Blue or public bus - widest seat, but almost always full. Wait can be long. Yellow - private bus. Not bad, some are even new. White Z R mini-vans, private ``taxis.`` The latter are shorter-distance transports - they come by every minute or so. Good if you are somewhat slim, and don`t mind being packed like sardines. From the hotel, the blue and yellow buses can take you to Holetown or 10 minutes farther down going North, Speightown (nothing much at Speightown, get off at Holetown instead for the shops, restos). Blue bus does not give change. Yellow bus and white vans do.

Going by public transport to other parts of Barbados. Take blue bus to Bridgetown. From the Bridgetown stop - the last stop - walk on Bridge Street towards downtown for a minute or so - you`ll reach the blue bus terminal. From there, take the bus that goes to wherever you want to go (Bathsheba, St. Lucy, etc.). Ask Info window or locals as to which bus to take, and how long.

BTW, if you take the white Z R vans (shorter distances), their Bridgetown terminal is separate, a few minutes farther walk away. Ask for directions.

The 5 Bs - Barbados is great for its 5 Bs. First B - the Barbadians themselves - surely one of the friendliest, nicest, most good-natured in the world. They give you directions, advice, sometimes even before you ask. Second B - The Beaches - so many, and so nice, most easily accessible. Carlisle Beach, a short ride away from the hotel (for sure the blue bus passes by, on the way to Bridgetown), seemed calm (if you don`t like the somewhat rougher beach at the hotel). Third B - the afore-mentioned Bus or transport system. If you have the time, you can go to most (or all) parts of Barbados for $2 return trip. Fourth B - the Bathrooms (actually, public washrooms or toilets – much cleaner than most North American ones, although you might want to bring your toilet paper – Cave Shepherd runs out of those). Oh yes, the Fifth B - the ever present sea Breeze, which makes even hot days tolerable (except perhaps in crowded downtown Bridgetown).

One last thing - don`t miss Friday nite at the Oistins. Take the bus across the road from the hotel , 35 minutes with traffic, 15 without, you`ll arrive at the Oistins fish fry resto area, just past the fish market and the sign for Oistins Beach. Grilled or fried fish (Flying fish, blue marlin, mahi mahi, swordfish, red snapper) $15 to $20 with sides and salads. Fried chicken for $10. Steamed lobsters (huge!) for $35 to $40. Open air, super casual - think plastic chairs and shared tables. We ate at Pat`s Place (fronting the street). Food good to excellent - fried red snapper (a bit of sweet sour sauce) excellent, without the muddy taste that this fish sometimes have, but would have preferred non-marinated taste of grilled swordfish. Get the grilled potatoes. Macaroni pie not bad either. If you`re facing the street though, you`ll get the gasoline whiff from the street so maybe pick a spot more towards the beach.

We`d like to visit again. Luv, luv, Barbados. Thanks, the Blades family (owners of CCBH).

P.S. CCBH has one and two bedroom suites too.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank nerlovestravel
UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

My wife and I returned from the Coconut Court today and I can honestly say it was the most stressful, noisy, unrelaxing holiday we have ever had. I am going to be fair in my review though because from reading previous reviews it would seem other guests really enjoyed the constant building noise but I will come to that in a moment. Firstly the few good points. The staff at the hotel are very friendly and helpful. Our room was large and clean and had a great sea view. The beach is nice. Now for the bad. WE had read on Tripadvisor that there was to be some work being carried out on the hotel during our stay, we contacted the hotel by email to ask about this and received no reply. How I wish we had cancelled or at least changed hotels at that point. Two days into our stay the work started and that was the end of our holiday. THE NOISE IS TERRIBLE !! Constant drilling and hammering that is so bad it is impossible to enjoy the beach and pool area that the hotel sells itself on. This lasted the rest of our holiday except for one day when a huge party of Bajans arrived to celebrate Mothers day, make of that what you will (screw the guests but keep the locals happy). Then came the day when the skip was so full of rubble etc that a new one had to be delivered, the crashing and banging was awful and it was at 8:40 am ! When the builders had their nice new skip they proceeded to throw huge chunks of rubble into it even when my wife and I tried to walk past (there was no other way from our room) nearly hitting us with chips of stone !! The work was meant to be carried out between the hrs of 10am and 4pm but most days it started early and ended late making the misery even worse. I do not understand why previous reviews to this one have not mentioned the terrible noise because I have always believed Tripadvisor was here to give the whole experience of a place and it is unfair to people that don't want to stay at a building site not to be warned. Now to other things, don't expect to go on nice evening walks as most of the pavements end after 20ft and you have to cross a busy road to get to the next 20ft of cracked pothole ridden pavement. There is very little to do in this area and the few bars there are give very mixed service. First time at the Blue Room the food was great but second time the fries that were so good were not cooked and the waiter said "It must be the potatoes" you really couldn't make it up. If your self catering you really need to hire a car as the nearest supermarket is miles away (the local mini mart is ok but expensive). To sum up. The beach and pool were totally ruined by the constant building noise, if you don't mind DRILLS and HAMMERS all day then you may be ok, at the end of the day it is your holiday and your hard earned money so it's up to you but be warned, THIS WORK IS GOING ON TO THE END OF JUNE !!!! Do yourself a favour and don't risk it. I can't wait to see the excuse ridden reply from the owners of the hotel but we took lots of video evidence that we showed to our travel agent today and they couldn't believe it. The camera never lies Coconuts!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
4 Thank CiderandBeer
islandgirl1972, Owner at Coconut Court Beach Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Friend, thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us. Thank you for mentioning our friendly staff and large, clean guest rooms with great views of the ocean.

I am sorry that your holiday was marred by noise from the renovations that we are presently carrying out to 30 of our guest rooms. We have been honest and provided a detailed list of scheduled improvements to our guests (website, eblast and Facebook updates) and travel partners (detailed email and supporting power point presentation) about these scheduled improvements. I apologise if your email was not answered but I am not sure where this email was sent. I have personally responded to all inquiries sent to me via email and if anyone reading this would like to have more information then please contact me directly at llampkin@coconut-court.com. I am happy to help.

The building where the renovations are being carried out is closed to guests and while there has been some noise caused by the removal of tiles from bathroom areas we anticipate that this part of the renovations will be completed by the end of May. After that it's smooth sailing while we paint the rooms, install new handrails, furniture and fittings etc. and the noise will be extremely limited. We are working with a professional contractor and we are being very careful about staying within our scheduled working hours - 10amto 12 noon then 1-4pm Monday to Saturday.

The removal of the skip is carried out once a week with an external company. I am not certain of the time when it was removed but I take your point about the timing of this service so I apologise for it's early removal and I will telephone the skip company and ask them to pick up at a later hour in the future.

The photos that you supplied show the barricaded area clearly where the skip is contained. We have cordoned off the area for the mutual safety of our guests and employees. There is another staircase within the building for guest use that will take you directly to the pool deck area avoiding the car park area altogether. Please note that there is considerable room in the car park area for guests to safely walk to the Front Desk and Pool Deck areas. Your comment of "huge chunks of rubble" is exaggerated. We are not modifying the existing building structure and the only rubble being discarded would have been the old 6 inch tiles from the bathroom areas.

The Sunday Mothers Day buffet mentioned in your review was extremely busy and the restaurant struggled to accommodate the influx of business from our local patrons. Believe me, even we were surprised at the number of patrons that arrived! We did advise guests to make reservations for this special occasion so I apologise if you did not and you were disappointed when we were not able to accommodate your request.I have since spoken to the Food & Beverage Manager and he has agreed to limit the number of reservations that we can accept (from guests and locals alike) to ensure that we can offer a great meal experience without sacrificing the friendly, efficient service that has become our hallmark over the years.

I was surprised to read your comments about the location of our hotel. I regularly chat with guests and they repeatedly tell me what a great location we have at Coconut with everything on our doorstep or a short distance away. I agree that the sidewalks in Barbados are not the best (this isn't London you know ☺) but I am pleased to say that the government is making improvements to the pavements, particularly in our busy stretch between Bridgetown and St. Lawrence Gap and again in Oistins. Please note that there is a lovely Boardwalk that connects Coconut Court to the Accra beach and there are several restaurants, bars and shops along the way. There's really no need to walk on the road if you don't want to.

Your UK travel agent kindly sent me a copy of your video evidence. The video was taken from the car park area and it clearly shows the building cordoned off with some workmen moving about on the landings. The video also shows some scaffolding at the side of the building which had been recently delivered so that we can safely paint the exterior of the building. The noise from the workmen removing tiles from the bathroom areas was also noticeable. The video does not show anything more than the work that we advised would be carried out at the hotel during the months of May and June.

Like you, I believe that Trip Advisor gives the whole experience of a place from the viewpoint of the guests. No glossy magazines and no brochures! I hosted the Manager's Cocktail party last night and personally spoke to as many of our guests that I could. I apologised for any noise and disturbance caused by the renovations and inquired if they were finding the noise to be intrusive. There are three other guest rooms that were not 100% happy but overall everyone responded positively. Most folks said that they had experienced some noise but nothing that would spoil their holiday. In fact, one lady travelling with her elderly parents, Beverly and Winston told me that this had been the best holiday of her life! That really made me feel great!

We are sorry that you let some noise ruin what would otherwise have been a fantastic stay with us. In this economy we cannot afford to close the hotel to carry out renovations. Instead, we offer steeply discounted rates over the scheduled renovation period and we advise everyone ahead of time of what they can expect.

I think that guests also bear some measure of responsibility to thoroughly research their holiday options before booking and I think that Trip Advisor is a great tool to help our guests do just that.
I am very pleased to write that Trip Advisor has just awarded us another Certificate of Excellence, based on outstanding reviews from over 900 previous guests. You be our judge! Thank you everybody.
Best wishes, Linda, Jason, Mark and the great team at "Coconuts!"
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

We have made a number of visits to Barbados, and usually go to villas. We tried Butterfly Beach a few years back and were a little underwhelmed. So a bit of trepidation as we got the booking at CB as part of a deal with BA. The hotel only cost us a few quid over the air fare, so having paid peanuts we felt we might get monkeys.
But it was much better than that.
As far as we could see, there are 3 blocks of rooms to the south of reception, one of which looks as if it has been renovated, and the second is being worked on now. I have to say that if anyone had said to us ( as perhaps they ought to have done ) that there would be substantial building work going on, we might have thought better of the idea. However as it turned out the work is indeed limited to 10 to 4 ( Bajan builders always give me the impression they'll work a bit faster when the cooler weather arrives ), and the noise from the beach is on the just-about-ignorable level. I might be less happy if I'd wanted to sit by the pool all day.
The initial approach to our room was down some stairs into a gloomy corridor which didn't encourage us, but once inside the room was better than we had expected. Plus it led straight out onto the terrace so we could forget coming and going through the gloom. We had a full fridge-freezer, and microwave, an over-bed fan and AC. It's a bit odd to wash dishes in the bathroom sink, but maybe that will get changed in the refurbished rooms. The AC wasn't whisper-silent, but neither was it the shuttle lift-off level we have occasionally encountered. I had no problem sleeping through it. The shower room was functional, if a bit tired. I guess this block will get the treatment next!
Outside the room the facilities were good to excellent. The beach is clean, and there is complete shade under a few trees for those who want to hide from the sun. The swimming area is never more than shoulder-deep and has a great population of fish for us snorklers.
Service at the beach bar is entertaining when Antonio's about, and friendly at all times.
We didn't eat much in the restaurant, though we did consider taking breakfast one morning, but after a look at what on offer we went elsewhere. Maybe we caught a bad day or the tail end of service or something, but it looked very limited and uninspired. If you are going to offer scrambled eggs they really shouldn't be more than a few minutes old. I've seen the same done in a 5star hotel in the UK, but its still true. Maybe a bit of mystery shopping around the hotel and others would provide some ideas.
I'm sure that sounds more negative than I intend. I'd happily go back, and I'd expect the updated rooms and absence of builders would up my score from 7/10 to 8 or 9.
And I have to finish on a plus. The I.T. facilities were the best I've ever met in any hotel. Two terminals in a nice light area in reception. WiFi transmitters across the front of the hotel covering the beach and all balconies. In fact my reception was fine right back into our shower room. No fees, no vouchers, and fast. I cannot tell you how much it adds to the experience when providing an internet connection for guests is seen as a service not a chance to gouge a few more dollars. Well done.

Room Tip: Find out whether you are getting a refurbished room, just so you know what to expect. Do not miss th...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hastings
Hilton Barbados Resort
Accra Beach Hotel & Spa
Accra Beach Hotel & Spa
#22 of 49 in Christ Church Parish
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,418 reviews

Been to Coconut Court Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!