“pretty darned good.”

Coconut Court Beach Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Hastings
“pretty darned good.”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

We have made a number of visits to Barbados, and usually go to villas. We tried Butterfly Beach a few years back and were a little underwhelmed. So a bit of trepidation as we got the booking at CB as part of a deal with BA. The hotel only cost us a few quid over the air fare, so having paid peanuts we felt we might get monkeys.
But it was much better than that.
As far as we could see, there are 3 blocks of rooms to the south of reception, one of which looks as if it has been renovated, and the second is being worked on now. I have to say that if anyone had said to us ( as perhaps they ought to have done ) that there would be substantial building work going on, we might have thought better of the idea. However as it turned out the work is indeed limited to 10 to 4 ( Bajan builders always give me the impression they'll work a bit faster when the cooler weather arrives ), and the noise from the beach is on the just-about-ignorable level. I might be less happy if I'd wanted to sit by the pool all day.
The initial approach to our room was down some stairs into a gloomy corridor which didn't encourage us, but once inside the room was better than we had expected. Plus it led straight out onto the terrace so we could forget coming and going through the gloom. We had a full fridge-freezer, and microwave, an over-bed fan and AC. It's a bit odd to wash dishes in the bathroom sink, but maybe that will get changed in the refurbished rooms. The AC wasn't whisper-silent, but neither was it the shuttle lift-off level we have occasionally encountered. I had no problem sleeping through it. The shower room was functional, if a bit tired. I guess this block will get the treatment next!
Outside the room the facilities were good to excellent. The beach is clean, and there is complete shade under a few trees for those who want to hide from the sun. The swimming area is never more than shoulder-deep and has a great population of fish for us snorklers.
Service at the beach bar is entertaining when Antonio's about, and friendly at all times.
We didn't eat much in the restaurant, though we did consider taking breakfast one morning, but after a look at what on offer we went elsewhere. Maybe we caught a bad day or the tail end of service or something, but it looked very limited and uninspired. If you are going to offer scrambled eggs they really shouldn't be more than a few minutes old. I've seen the same done in a 5star hotel in the UK, but its still true. Maybe a bit of mystery shopping around the hotel and others would provide some ideas.
I'm sure that sounds more negative than I intend. I'd happily go back, and I'd expect the updated rooms and absence of builders would up my score from 7/10 to 8 or 9.
And I have to finish on a plus. The I.T. facilities were the best I've ever met in any hotel. Two terminals in a nice light area in reception. WiFi transmitters across the front of the hotel covering the beach and all balconies. In fact my reception was fine right back into our shower room. No fees, no vouchers, and fast. I cannot tell you how much it adds to the experience when providing an internet connection for guests is seen as a service not a chance to gouge a few more dollars. Well done.

Room Tip: Find out whether you are getting a refurbished room, just so you know what to expect. Do not miss th...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (710)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 17, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Coconut Court for 7 days. To us it was the perfect resort: not too big and not too small, with every amenity we could have wanted. The beach is excellent with a nice lagoon in front of the reef for safe swimming. Happy hour was twice a day. Antonio, the beach bar bartender, is the best bartender ever. The location is also very good. It's a short distance to Bridgetown and in the other direction is Rockley Beach and Oistens. Go to Oistens and eat at Pat's Place. Best Mahi-mahi ever. We are definitely coming back to the Coconut next year. If you do stay there and haven't explored the Island I highly recommend Ted's Tours. Book him at the activities desk.

2 Thank James S
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Revisited Coconut Court in May 2013 for another two weeks after staying there in November 2011.
Many things remain the same...rooms spacious and very clean with excellent maid service...be aware however that if you book the standard room you have an ocean view but it is very poor.
I would only go back to this hotel with an upgrade.

The sea remains very difficult to access from this hotel due to many pebbles and stones and far better beaches are available only minutes away..(Dover and Enterprise beaches in particular)

The food is ok and if you are wanting a lazy day then use the restaurant or luch time deck bar but the one good thing in the favour of this hotel is the location is excellent for finding far better restaurant and bars which offer better value for money only minutes away by either car or bus(bus stops ideally located outside the hotel).

The staff are excellent,especially Tisha and Hadfield who deserve special praise for their manner and dedication to the job.

Barbados does possess some very expensive hotels and if these are not affordable then Coconut Court offers decent value as a base to see this marvellous island.

If however your return flight is in the evening (ours was at 8p.m. to Manchester) then be aware that although the Hotel states you can pay to keep your room after the noon checkout our experience on offering the extra money was a definate "No". The hotel was not full by any means but we were made to shower in the hotel toilets which meant we left this hotel on a sour note.

Room Tip: Upgrade only as the Standard rooms are only average.
1 Thank hally31
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

Just got back from our 4th visit to coconut court...our room was very basic ...worst room we have had...room 35...it needs more cooking utensils..cleaners are great..everything immaculate. the tree in front of the balcony needs a good pruning as it really restricts the view. the security is excellent especially henderson he is great...antonio,michael and sean are always fantastic at the beach bar and i must mention jason over at the blue room he is fantastic...oh...breakfast is one set price which is not really fair if you just have a bowl of cereal when others have a cooked one
i remember it always used to be complimentary. we only had it once then made toasties in the ro om rest of the stay. the noise from the work being done never bothered us. hopefully we will back next year so see you all then.

• Stayed May 2013
islandgirl1972, Owner at Coconut Court Beach Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear Friend, thank you for taking the time to post a review for Coconut Court Beach Hotel. Thank you very much for returning to stay with us again, four visits is lovely, thank you! I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and I'm especially pleased to read your kind words about our Team. Everyone here have our guests at the heart of what they do and it's great to know that this is reflected in your own experience.

I am sorry to hear that you were left unsatisfied with the location of your room. Number 35 is a Standard Room located on the car park level and these rooms have a mixed view of ocean and hotel buildings. It is our most economical room category so this makes it a popular option for guests travelling on a budget. Regardless of which room category you book, we take extra care to ensure that all of our guest rooms are kept spotlessly clean.

Just a little tip: if you have booked a Standard Room and are thinking about upgrading then please contact our reservations staff (Lona, Janeille or Sheena at reservations@coconut-court.com). Upgrade fees will be a better price if booked directly with us.

Please also note that breakfast is still included free of charge if you book directly with us at the hotel. Thanks for the tip about the tree, I will get that trimmed so that the view is not restricted. Thanks also for letting us know that you were not disturbed with the renovations taking place this month (May) and next month (June). We are being extra careful and working only between the hours of 10am-12 noon (1 hour for lunch) then 1-4pm. Our newly renovated Superior Ocean Front Rooms are going to be just dandy when we are finished!

I hope we will be able to welcome you back to stay with us again on your next visit to Barbados.
Best wishes, Linda, Jason, Mark and the team at Coconut Court.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I statyed at CCBH for 5 nights; Excellent. Don't be fooled by the comments, all the rooms are clean and nice; renovated or not. We stayed in a ocean view room. Be aware the shuttle service is one way and good luck if your flight gets delayed. The breakfast was very good and I would be lying if I complained. Do not add a meal package; not worth it, and there are so much places to eat all around you will be overwhelmed. Do not touch the phone; they seem to bill for phone when not used. Yes the pool closes early so make the most of it from early. I had no issues and I will definitely stay again and I already recommend it to my friends and family.

Room Tip: Choose whatever pleases you; the stairs doesn't matter; its set up where its a very quick walk...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Friend, thanks for taking the time to write a review about yout recent stay with us. I am so pleased that you enjoyed it and would stay with us again. Thank you especially for praising our guest rooms. We take pride in offering large, comfortable and well cleaned rooms for our guests to enjoy at a good price and there are several options for varying budgets.

Our breakfast too is good value for money particularly for those guests that book driectly with the hotel, then it is included free of charge. FYI, from December 15th, 2013 to April 15th, 2014 (Winter season) we will be including return airport transfers for guests that book directly with us. The summer season (April 16 to December 14) will include free airport transfer on arrival only.

We dont charge for the telephone unless used. The cost is 75 cents US for a local call regardless of duration. Once you have a connection then this small fee will be automatically charged to your guest folio. Please note that overseas calling cards do not work in Barbados.

Thanks very much for writing about us and we hope to welcome you back to The Coconut again soon. Best wishes, Linda, Jason, Mark and the team!
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed May 4, 2013

the hotel location is on the most beautifull beach on this area. Wide enough, palm trees, beach chairs, snorkling spots etc..
hotel is nice for the price. Room are cleaned, fantastic view.
we asked 3 months before to have a room at the highest floor. when we arrived we were on the ground floor at the pool deck, the ocean view from this floor is almost non existent when you are seated. It was late, when i reach the reception she said i couldn t see the ocean because it was night.... it makes me smile. Anyway she asked to move us the next day , that it was done and it was wonderfull.

Beds were to hard to my taste, and after 14 days i didnt get used to them.
wifi not strong enough to reach our room, from the balcony was ok. Slow at a time, but we are in carraibes.
Climatisation noisy.
cleaning staff do a very good job
restaurant the Deck, all the buffet where good and honest for the price. The location with a sea view is perfect.
Lot of good places to eat around. Mama mia excellent , we ate 2 times here.
We went to the gap in st lawrence in the suicide bus for 1$ US. A lot of restaurants here. the mexican restaurant was the slowest service i have ever see. Greek OPA good for the price. Harlequin nice king fish, good price. Brazilian restaurant awfull service, food ok a la carte. Buffet at the brazilian was too expensive 50$ US.

They are doing some renovation, but we didn t hear anything.

Go to carlisle bay, it s 15 minutes walk and the sand is very soft and the sea color unbelievable

Room Tip: highest floor is best. Ocean view room.
1 Thank sebounet007
Dear Friend, thank you for writing this review about Cocontu Court Beach Hotel. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and that the problem with your original Room was dealt with so quickly and effectively. I’m sorry to hear that you were left unsatisfied with the comfort of our beds. It's unfortunate that our Beds are not to your liking and I am sorry if this marred an otherwise pleasant stay.I am especially grateful for your lovely words about our cleaning staff and breakfast in the restaurant and we greatly appreciate your kind feedback. Thank you also for mentioning that you were not disturbed by the renvoation work taking place. This work will be done over the course of eight weeks: May and June. We are trying hard to ensure that we are working during reasonable hours and that our guests are disturbed as little as possible. I hope we will be able to welcome you back to stay with us at Coconut Court in the future. Take care and enjoy your summer in Montreal, it is a lovely part of the world too!
Best wishes, Linda, Jason, Mark and the team at Coconut Court
Moncton
Reviewed May 2, 2013

This quaint hotel is located directly on the beach. This was our first time in Barbados and we would definitely recommend the Coconut Court. It is a home away from home. The service is excellent. They seem to care about their customers and offer excellent customer service. I think this is the reason people return to this hotel year after year. Hotel is very clean. We were very fortunate to have the top floor (corner room) with a magnificent view of the ocean, palm trees and pool area. Rooms come equipped with full fridge, microwave, toaster oven, kettle. We asked for a hot plate and they brought one to the room.

We would not recommend driving as the roads are narrow, lots of traffic and lots of round a bouts and they drive on the left hand side of the road so imagine when you come into those round a bouts!. The roads are not indicated so we found it difficult to navigate and kept going in circles, loosing some precious vacation time. Instead, we decided to take Ted's tour of the island which is fantastic. Ted is awesome and very good at his job. He gives a lot of history of the island and his tour includes a nice lunch buffet at a plantation house. He leaves at 10:00 am and returns at 5:00 pm and basically brings you all over the island. You can book at the activity center of the hotel (through Vaida- very friendly and knowledgeable).

The hotel has a reef which you can snorkel. We very much enjoyed the entertainment at night, specially on Thursday nights (very good singer) sings music from the 60,70,80, 90's. He is excellent.

As for the rooms, we had a room that was very spacious , no smell of humidity, no bugs, we didn't see any mosquitos all week or any type of bugs.

The hotel has free Wi-Fi ( 2 computers located at the reception that customers can use)

You basically feel like home at this hotel. You can walk to Mamma Mia, restaurant across the street, the Blue Room which is a pub and TGIFriday is across the street also. Lots of restaurants to choose from. Do go to the Fish Fries on Fridays and Saturday nights. Located in Oistins (we took the local bus to get here - approx. 20 min.ride). The fishermen bring in their fish and you get to choose between different types of fish, served with potatoes, fries, coleslaw, salad, macaroni pie all for $ 25 US.

There is also a nice boardwalk that you can enjoy on the beach next to the hotel. You can walk all the way up to the Accra Hotel. We would take walks every day. On the opposite way, you can walk to the Hilton Hotel from the beach. There was always plenty of chairs at the Coconut Court beach. We did not have to get up early in the morning to go put towels on chairs. This was so nice, it did not matter at what time we got to the beach, there was always plenty of chairs.

We always felt safe in Barbados. We took the local buses to go to the supermarket. Cost is $ 1US per person one way. We shopped at the Supercenter (Big B) which is actually an IGA and prices are comparable to Canada. You can basically buy anything that you would buy in Canada. They even had Cavendish fries.

The Coconut court is well located in the center of everything. It is only a 5 min. bus ride to Bridgetown. The streets for shopping in Bridgetown are Broad St. and Swan Street and the Pelican village where the cruise ships dock.

Overall, we would rate our holiday as one of the bests. We have been to 5 stars all inclusive resorts and have travelled extensively. This was a different vacation as the resort is smaller, we had to make our own food (they do sell meal plans that you can buy) but we must say that it was one of our best vacations ever, specially because the Coconut court makes you feel right at home. We would not hesitate to recommend this resort. We had a lovely time in Barbados and hope to return in the near future.

Room Tip: We were in the top floor- beautiful view of ocean/palm trees and pool. We had a corner room. No elev...
6 Thank Linda F
Dear Friends, thank you for taking the time to write this review for us. I am so very pleased that you found our Team to be so helpful, friendly and dedicated. Your kind words for them are very much appreciated! Thanks too for mentioning Ted's Tours. He is my brother and I often recommend his tour to our guests. I am sure that some folks may have thought that I am only doing so because he is my family but that is not the case - he simply offers the best tour on the island!

Thanks for all of lovely tips to our readers and for all of your other kind words about entertainment, restaurant, hotel location etc. Coconut Court is a labour of love for my family and our staff and we are so thankful that our guests enjoy our hotel and return to stay with us year after year. Folks often praise our staff and this is so heartwarming but I must also say that we have a really great mix of guests too. Well travelled, interesting people from all over the world make Coconut Court a really great place to mix and mingle and make lifelong friends. All of you make our hotel a great place too!

I hope we will be able to welcome you back to our little slice of heaven soon! Take care and enjoy your summertime. Best wishes, Linda, Jason, Mark and friends.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hastings
Ocean Two Resort & Residences
Butterfly Beach Hotel
Beach View
Beach View
#1 of 26 in Saint James Parish

Been to Coconut Court Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!