We have made a number of visits to Barbados, and usually go to villas. We tried Butterfly Beach a few years back and were a little underwhelmed. So a bit of trepidation as we got the booking at CB as part of a deal with BA. The hotel only cost us a few quid over the air fare, so having paid peanuts we felt we might get monkeys.
But it was much better than that.
As far as we could see, there are 3 blocks of rooms to the south of reception, one of which looks as if it has been renovated, and the second is being worked on now. I have to say that if anyone had said to us ( as perhaps they ought to have done ) that there would be substantial building work going on, we might have thought better of the idea. However as it turned out the work is indeed limited to 10 to 4 ( Bajan builders always give me the impression they'll work a bit faster when the cooler weather arrives ), and the noise from the beach is on the just-about-ignorable level. I might be less happy if I'd wanted to sit by the pool all day.
The initial approach to our room was down some stairs into a gloomy corridor which didn't encourage us, but once inside the room was better than we had expected. Plus it led straight out onto the terrace so we could forget coming and going through the gloom. We had a full fridge-freezer, and microwave, an over-bed fan and AC. It's a bit odd to wash dishes in the bathroom sink, but maybe that will get changed in the refurbished rooms. The AC wasn't whisper-silent, but neither was it the shuttle lift-off level we have occasionally encountered. I had no problem sleeping through it. The shower room was functional, if a bit tired. I guess this block will get the treatment next!
Outside the room the facilities were good to excellent. The beach is clean, and there is complete shade under a few trees for those who want to hide from the sun. The swimming area is never more than shoulder-deep and has a great population of fish for us snorklers.
Service at the beach bar is entertaining when Antonio's about, and friendly at all times.
We didn't eat much in the restaurant, though we did consider taking breakfast one morning, but after a look at what on offer we went elsewhere. Maybe we caught a bad day or the tail end of service or something, but it looked very limited and uninspired. If you are going to offer scrambled eggs they really shouldn't be more than a few minutes old. I've seen the same done in a 5star hotel in the UK, but its still true. Maybe a bit of mystery shopping around the hotel and others would provide some ideas.
I'm sure that sounds more negative than I intend. I'd happily go back, and I'd expect the updated rooms and absence of builders would up my score from 7/10 to 8 or 9.
And I have to finish on a plus. The I.T. facilities were the best I've ever met in any hotel. Two terminals in a nice light area in reception. WiFi transmitters across the front of the hotel covering the beach and all balconies. In fact my reception was fine right back into our shower room. No fees, no vouchers, and fast. I cannot tell you how much it adds to the experience when providing an internet connection for guests is seen as a service not a chance to gouge a few more dollars. Well done.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Coconut Court Beach Hotel is a family affair. Owned and operated by the Blades family for over four decades, Coconut Court is unpretentious and full of local character and charm. Situated directly on a beautiful beach, adjacent to the South Coast boardwalk in the World Heritage UNESCO district within easy walking distance to historic sites, shops and restaurants. Enjoy happy service and outstanding value with free added value for all guests including roundtrip airport transfers, a bottle of Pirate Punch on arrival, shopping shuttle service from the hotel to Bridgetown and free WIFI. Recently renovated, with 112 spacious hotel rooms that face the ocean, Coconut Court offers great value and a gorgeous beachfront location! All hotel rooms are comfortably furnished with air conditioning, partial kitchenette facilities, cable TV and private balcony. Full self-catering apartments also available for families and long stay visitors in the Annex. (Located off-site). The beautiful beach is shaded with coconut trees with plenty of room for sunbathing. The large protected lagoon is safe for swimming and snorkelling for all ages. The pool deck features a freshwater pool and outdoor Jacuzzi as well as a separate children’s paddling pool. There are 2 restaurants and a beach bar serving lazy lunches and tasty home cooked meals. Weekly entertainment includes live music, Managers Rum Punch Party, Beach BBQ’s and moonlight movies on the beach. Guests can also enjoy daily cocktail specials and happy hours. Book directly with the hotel and Free breakfast buffet is included too! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, HRS and Priceline so you can book your Coconut Court Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Coconut Court Beach Hastings
- Coconut Court Beach Hotel Barbados/Hastings