“Lovely First trip to the Barbados”

Coconut Court Beach Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Hastings
Toronto, Canada
“Lovely First trip to the Barbados”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I was travelling with my husband and elderly mother and we needed a beach which featured shade as well as sun, plus water that was not to rough to swim in. Coconut Court's Beach surpassed our expectations in this regard. It was lovely and always a lounger available to sit in. The beach bar and dining area were close by. There is a large patio area with tables, a pool and a hot tub a few steps up from the beach.Very pleasant to sit here as well and all areas are kept very clean by staff. There is a boardwalk near to the hotel beach which is very pleasant to walk on and takes you some distance down the beach to other restaurants and shops.
We had an Oceanfront room which opened on to the patio and had the best accessibility to the dining room and beach. This hotel has no elevator and we needed to avoid using stairs so the Oceanfront room minimized this problem. You still need to go down a flight of stairs to get to this room but once there you are close to the dining room, it's just a few steps away. However if you are in a wheelchair there are is a small step in the patio to surmount on your way to the dining room. A small ramp would correct this problem.Anyway my mother managed and was very happy with the patio and beach as was my husband and they are both hard to please.
There was construction noise but it did not start early and it finished by 4pm. We were out on the beach or away part of the day so it didn't interfere with us. However if you were confined to your room due to the weather it could be an issue.
Our room was large and comfortable. The bathroom was small but functional. Housekeeping did a great job.We had a problem with the TV remote but staff was quick to find a person to come and fix it. It was nice to have a fridge and microwave and a kettle. There is no coffeemaker. if you are doing groceries or need a bottle of wine there is the Trimart down the road a distance that has a free shuttle to bring you home with your purchases . It's about a half hour walk but there is a bus that goes by the hotel.
The hotel had great buffets maybe 5 times a week. They are famous for their hamburgers at lunch. We were not on the meal plan although there is one available. The regular menu food was good but more fruit and vegetables are needed, particularly at breakfast. The serving staff and the bartenders were very friendly and attentive.There are good restaurants in the area but we enjoyed our dining room with the beach view and usually decided to stay at home.
The entertainment on Sat and Sunday was good too. We had the hotel van with driver Sheridan take us on a trip to Harrison's Caves one day and we enjoyed his company. Another day when Sheridan was not available we used a local taxi service organized by the hotel and it was a nice cab and the driver came back to pick us up later as promised.Bert's Bar is in the area for Canadians who want to watch a hockey game.The bar is owned by the owner of the Ottawa Senators.
Overall we were very happy with the place and we hope to return next year.

Room Tip: Ask for an oceanfront room if you need to avoid stairs going to and from your room to access the bea...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
islandgirl1972, Owner at Coconut Court Beach Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear Friends, thank you for taking the time to post a review for Coconut Court Beach Hotel. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and found your Room to be so clean, comfortable and well appointed. I am so pleased that you consider us to be a good choice for a Barbados holiday and we certainly look forward to you returning.Take care and thank you again for staying with us.
Best wishes, Linda, Jason, Mark and the team at Coconut Court.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (687)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Just returned from a great trip to the coconut court,our first to Barbados. When we arrived we were greeted by really friendly staff and shown to our room 111 where we were to stay for the next ten days.The room was a standard room and was large and airy with a great view of the ocean. Although fairly basic, the bed was comfy and equipped with toaster,kettle,fridge freezer and microwave. It was clean and serviced every day by the housekeeping staff. The beach was fantastic, crystal clear waters,safe and shaded with palm trees( even though i still managed to burn myself!!)
The hotel has a great location situated between Bridgetown and St Laurence Gap, easily accessed by bus stops right outside the hotel( although we did walk to both, 40 mins to Bridgetown and an hour to St Lawrence Gap) The broadwalk was a lovely walk by day or by night from the hotel to the Rockley area.
We visited the local mini mart opposite the hotel a number of times for items such as milk, bread orange juice, cakes,cigarettes and of course rum. The owner was such a friendly gentleman and always gave us a warm welcome and we had great conversations with some locals in the shop as well.
We ate at a number of places but really enjoyed the atmosphere and food at the deck restaurant at coconut court. The staff were very polite and sociable and the food was great, especially the chocolate brownies which unfortunately they run out of as it was so popular.
We enjoyed a fantastic trip on teds tours booked at the hotel, really informative,fun and covered some beautiful areas of the island...thanks Ted!! this really should not be missed even if you decide on another hotel Ted can be contacted by emailing tedstour@yahoo.com or visit him and Vaieda at the activities desk at coconut court.They also arranged a snorkeling trip for us with Bolador which i can honestly say was the highlight of our trip: we swam with turtles and snorkeled and only six of us on the catamaran...brilliant!!
All in all this hotel is a fantastic relaxed place to stay, its not fussy or fancy but it gives you a real feel of Barbados and gives you the opportunity to do as much or as little as you want to...thanks coconut court we will be back. Claire and Richard x

4 Thank grinniegirl
Dear Friends, thanks so much for taking the time to post a review about yoru recent stay with us at Coconut Court Beach Hotel.

I'm delighted that you would so readily recommend the Hotel and I hope your holiday was a memorable one.I was especially pleased to note that you found our Team to be so helpful, friendly and dedicated. Your kind words for them are very much appreciated and I hope we will be able to welcome you back to Coconut Court again very soon. All the best to you both for a lovely summer.

Best wishes, Linda, Jason, Mark and your friends at The Coconut!
Preston
Reviewed April 30, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay, staff on the whole were friendly. Antonio on the bar was a delight, he did a great juggling act trying to keep everyone fed and doing drinks, he can teach some of the restaurant staff a thing or two and some help may not go a miss for him. Also remembering everyone’s names, drinks, food orders, he is to be commended. Had a few meals and these were all very good. Happy hour is extremely fun as are the locals that seem to appear. Beach is lovely, could just do with a bit of a tidy up, after being to the Maldives where every morning they pick up all leaves and stones (I am maybe asking too much) it gives an idyllic look. My only negative really would be the cleaning staff and only on the last day. Although the room each day was cleaned to an extremely good standard the last day tainted our views of the hotel. Check out time is at 12pm which we were pleased with, as we had a flight at 4:40pm we decided to have a leisurely morning, with a bit of breakfast and juice on the balcony then a shower and pack. Instead throughout the morning we were disturbed 5 times by the cleaning staff:

1. To say they hope we enjoyed our stay and would come back again, have a safe journey home. (seemed like she wanted her tip)
2. The next was another one saying the same but to my partner.
3. A knock to confirm check out was 12 (we were aware). And the Air con would switch off soon.
4. A knock that we ignored and said we were busy.
5. Another person at 11:45, in which I confirmed we would be out in 5 mins.

I always tip my cleaning staff by leaving money on the side for when we have gone. I still did tip, but believe me, this was then reduced by the antics that occurred on what should have been our last relaxing morning. First and last impressions count for a lot, so although we had a lovely stay overall, the harassment on the last day tainted the view. It wouldn’t deter us from coming again, but would be asking for a do not disturb sign. Thanks, Katy

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed April 29, 2013

On our first trip to Barbados, our expectations were fully realized. The Coconut Court was moderately priced and provided full value, with all the facilities to ensure a very pleasurable and relaxing holiday. We also availed ourselves of many of the various land and sea tours that gave us an excellent perspective on the island Food selection at the hotel and nearby restaurants was not quite Blue Ribbon, but more than adequate. Mama Mia's across the road was excellent Italian fare. The service throughout was outstanding. In particular, the Beach Bar was a great place to "hang out" for their twice daily Happy Hours, served by an outstandingly energetic and friendly bartender Antonio. Donna (in charge of reception, I believe) was also exceptionally helpful and friendly. It seemed that the staff was always "at the ready" to try and assist us. Those with disabilities and senior citizens may have some difficulties as there are stairs to the upper rooms, and stairs to the beach. However, I believe that the Hotel may be addressing these issues. Another issue that will presumably be resolved in time were the constant noise from the construction in the adjacent building due to the renovation and refurbishing of the tired older rooms. We learned to ignore this noise, or engage in activities away from the hotel.
If my wife and I return to Barbados, we would certainly select the Coconut Court for its many pluses and few negatives.

Room Tip: Top-floor rooms facing the beach are the best in most ways, but represent a climb of 3 flights (54 s...
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed April 29, 2013

The reviews we saw online didn't do the place justice and after hearing about other hotels in the area from travelers we were very glad we booked here. Check directly with the hotel's website for booking, we were able to get a better room for cheaper than expedia.com was offering.

The white sand beach right at the hotel is perfect for swimming AND I picked up their wifi while sitting on a beach chair. Coral formations keep the tides from pulling you around and bring or buy a snorkel mask, loads of fish to see at those same coral formations.

Room was large, staff was very accommodating and helpful with planning events for us and anyone could tell you where an attraction is and the best way to get to it.

We would definitely use again!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I was charmed by this hotel from reading about it. I liked the look of it when i browsed online and I was really excited about staying. I was worried about the reviews stating the place was tired and getting a makeover but having stayed in hundreds of hotels, as a very frequent traveller and trip advisor reviewer, I used my instinct to guide me and trusted my judgment when making a booking.

I am going to be honest and base the review on my week experience at the hotel as the whole experience was incredibly mixed and left me feeling a little deflated; not a feeling you want leaving a long haul caribbean holiday.

On arrival we were checked in by a lady who was polite if not very cheery. She processed our paperwork quickly and introduced us to a chap called 'Ian'. I think that was his name, I have tried to remember as many as possible so apologies if I get one or two mixed up. Ian took our cases to our room as was very polite, knowledgable and seemed to love his work. He showed us around our top floor Ocean Front Room, the best room available at the hotel, excluding the refurbished rooms of which all were fully booked during our stay. He also pointed out the features and facilities of the hotel as well as recommending some local restaurants should we wish to dine out of the hotel. In terms of first experiences, it was hard to fault.

Our room was clean, always important and to me much more important than a loaded feature set. I stay in both functional and luxury hotels depending on what I am doing and I will slaughter a dirty hotel in reviews, this hotel is not dirty. The housekeeping is excellent.

The room was heavily in need of a makeover. It was in the middle block which is having work done (more on that soon) and having seen the new rooms, it will eventually look much better. As it stands, it has a fabulous view, one of the best views you can get in the world I would say, looking over the beauty of the Caribbean sea. No lifts to the top floors, though the building is not tall so it should not pose a problem for most.

Upon spending a couple of nights in the room, problems became evident. The old TV set needs replaced (will when refurbished), and on the limited channels the picture is both fuzzy and blurry. Some will say you don't go on holiday to watch TV, but at the end of a day out, it is nice to kick back and watch the box, but this little old portable TV is at the very end of its life.

Air conditioning in our room was ice cold, great. However was a very old unit, both noisy to the extent where it stops you from getting peaceful sleep and the box outside the room rattled all night meaning we had to sweat most nights just to get quiet. For me, on holiday, peaceful rest is vital. Impossible in room 86 at the Coconut Court in its current condition however.

Bed was good. Firm mattress just the way I like it and the sheets are crisp and clean. No issues at all in that area. Of note, the room was large and airy however all of the plug points where at the door with none available around the bed area. Not great for charging mobile phones, laptops and the like. Hopefully this will change in the refurbishment. No plugs around the mirror in the room either for hairdressing or drying. It is dangerous to do this in the bathroom where there are plugs so this would need to be looked at.

Shower is old and bathroom is tired like the room however unlike some reviewers we had no issues with a lack of hot water. In fact, the water was hot with excellent pressure.

As stated above, the block we stayed in was involved in refurbishment that will continue this and next year. As per the other reviews stating similar, this completely and utterly ruined my holiday. I completely see the need as the rooms are old and tired, and it is excellent that they are doing the work, but I simply cannot see how this can happen without compromising peoples dream holidays unless they close the block affected.

We were at the top floor. The work was happening on the lower floors. Through the week I had to pass over 5-8 work men on the slim corridor, disassembled air conditioning units, old tiles, worn mattresses. There was dust and work tools all over the walk ways. Unavoidable parts of major works but I am a guest on holiday, a holiday to relax and recharge the batteries - this made me angry considering the price of the holiday. Guests visit from far far away to come to Barbados and these pictures are not part of the 'dream'.

I have read the owners response to other reviews below on this point, and whilst we were there two other couples had heated arguments in reception about staying in this block. In addition a few trip advisor friends have cancelled stays in May on the basis of reviews which although is a shame, I fully understand why. No amount of 'passion, love for it, family run feel', makes up for the experience of staying in, what appeared to be the case during the week, a building site. It made me really sad.

I dont own the hotel, so I don't know if its possible, but keeping a block open whilst fully refitting rooms is going to cause lasting damage to guest experience and trip advisor makes it visible to the rest of the potential visitor world. The owners need to put themselves into the mindset of the visitor. I tried to block it out, but it was impossible when I could see and hear it on my way to and from my room.

To reiterate, the new rooms look lovely. I am sure come 2014-2015 when its all done, the hotel will look excellent.

WIFI is available however it did not work well in our room, probably being on the top floor however coverage was excellent along the private beach area and hotel grounds. It did not work on our last day however.

The hotel beach is a major plus point. Having walked along the coast line a few miles either side of the hotel, it has by far and away the nicest stretch of sand. They have loungers available and there are plenty for all. There are picnic tables for bar beach lunches and lots of shade areas. It is beautiful and we spent days being lazy there. Fantastic.

The hotel has evening entertainment most evenings. Nothing on Tuesday or Wednesday however. Monday night is BBQ by the pool and features a free rum punch, some local trade stalls in the pool area and a live band. It was very enjoyable. There is a curry night on Thursdays, BBQ on Saturday and Buffet on Sundays. Live music played and all very relaxed and enjoyable.

Hotel staff are mostly fine. Not all as good as each other mind you. As others have noted, Antonio at the beach bar is superb. Loves his job, loves his customers and is a fine fine barman. An absolute asset. Never lose him. Sheridan the taxi driver is a lot of fun and really jolly. He took us to dinner one night at the Tides in Holetown, and also to the airport and he is a superb customer driven man.

Other bar staff were more reserved but polite. John was nice and chatty.

Jan however who 'welcomed' us to breakfast each morning was a bit sullen. I noted 4 days in a row her greeting to breakfast as follows:

ME: Good Morning.

JAN: Room Number?

ME: Sure, its 86.

JAN: Sign here.

Not a smile, no eye contact, she was abrupt and quite hostile. May have had a bad week but don't take it to work with you. I tried being extra nice one morning but still nothing from here. Shame.

The Deck Restaurant was lovely. The food was more than acceptable for hotel faire. Lovely burgers and chicken wings. Happy hour twice per day was excellent making 2 for 1 on beers a very attractive option indeed. Bell is rung to indicate happy hour. All in all, no complaints.

Breakfast needs work. Same potatoes, eggs and fish cake things each morning. 1 piece of fruit. All repetitive and all a bit stodgy. With there being limited breakfast options around the hotel, I would happily have paid a little more for a better breakfast. A few guests at the BBQ agreed with me on this one. On my last day I just had coffee as I couldn't stomach it any more. I don't think I could have done it for more than a week.

I probably wont stay at this hotel again because there were too many niggly things wrong with it and my room / experience. I imagine with a refurbished room people would return, but my experience was enough to put me off for a long time. It is a shame, because the potential is there.

It really is.

Room Tip: Refurbished is a must. Top floor great views.
14 Thank babsontour
islandgirl1972, Owner at Coconut Court Beach Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Friend, thank you for taking the time to write this review of your recent stay with us. I am glad that you appreciated our great hotel location, friendly efficient staff, lovely beach, lively entertainment etc. As advertised, we are not a fancy, modern hotel but one that offers good value for money in a relaxed, beachfront setting.
I am sorry that the renovation of 3 of our guest rooms ruined your stay with us. We have 117 guest rooms at Coconut Court and we honestly could not justify the closure of the hotel or even the wing of 30 rooms where these 3 rooms are located on the car park level (rooms being worked on are rooms 76,77 and 78).
We have been considerate to our guests and have restricted our working hours to 10am to 4pm and the 3 rooms have been properly screened off. We specifically chose these 3 guest rooms because they are located on the south side of the staircase - guests did not walk in front of these rooms at anytime. If there were mattresses or disassembled air conditioning units visible then it would have only been for a brief time when our housekeeping team were removing them from the building.
As you mentioned, there have been a couple of other guests that have complained about noise. Your complaint is the third that I have received. The majority of our guests however, have not had any issues and have enjoyed their holiday with us.
Please note that we are making improvements to our hotel as follows: May 06-June 30, 2013 - renovation of 30 guest rooms. The building will be closed to visitors during this period. Working hours will be 10am to 4pm Monday to Saturday. Entire area (including balconies, landings and a portion of the carpark) will be completely screened off. Work that will be done will include, retiling of bathrooms, new fittings installed (toilet, shower and sink with granite counter top and vanity unit), guest room ceilings will have trowel plastic applied, new kitchenette area installed (stainless steel sink, granite counter top, and kitchen cupboard unit), a false ceiling will be installed over the kitchen area, entire guest room will be painted and new furniture, 32" flat screen TV, draperies, artwork, bedding, A/C unit and balcony railing installed.
The rest of the hotel will be open as usual during this period. We do anticipate some noise in the initial stages when we remove tiles from the bathroom but once that portion of the work is complete there should be very minimal disruption to guests. Please note that we are not retiling the bedroom or balcony areas.
These newly renovated units (rooms 61-90) will be available for rent from July 1st and will be named, Superior Ocean Front Rooms.
We have paid attention to the details... placement of wall plugs close to the beds, size of the showers have been enlarged, installation of kitchen sink (we only had sinks in the bathrooms of these units before), new A/C units are the latest technology available and are very quiet, using less than half of the energy of conventional units, energy efficient LED lighting throughout, vanity table with mirror and drawers, comfortable patio furniture suitable for dining, safety rails in the shower, retractable clothes line, and a new design for our balcony rails that offers a wonderful, unobsructed view of the beach and ocean. Anyone that has stayed with us before can appreciate these improvements. We have listened to your criticism and suggestions!
I really do hope that you might consider staying with us again in the future. We do try to understand the wants and needs of our guests and we try our best to implement changes that will enhance your holiday experience with us. In the same breath, I would ask that our guests also understand that we need to make improvements to the hotel from time to time and to please trust us to make same improvements in a professional and considerate manner. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions.
Thank you and best regards, Linda Lampkin
UK
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 1 week, commencing 21st April. Had an ocean view room (after originally booking ocean view studio but none available so got refund of upgrade cost). Nice clean room, with fab view. Loved the walk in shower and very comfy bed. Walked from the hotel beach both ways and Coconut Court's beach was definitely the nicest. Great location - Bridgetown, Carlisle beach, st Lawrence Gap just a few mins in a taxi. Hired a car for a couple of days and explored the island. The lady on the trips desk was really helpful and booked car and catamaran trip for us. Did a cat trip with 'Bocador' - was good but a bit quiet (we did a previous one with 'Tiami' which was more fun and had music etc).
If u fancy a decent coffee pop into the gift shop at the hotel (best coffee we had all week).
Can recommend the Harlequin restaurant in St Lawrence - amazing food and exceptional service. Also had a nice meal at 'Rush' and a not so nice meal at 'cafe sol' in st lawrence.
Can also recommend the 'Boatyard' for a funky day at the beach. Also, Harbour Lights is a fantastic night out with bbq and entertainment.
Had a fantastic stay at Coconut Court and would definitely return. A lovely hotel at a good price.
The Bajan people are so lovely and friendly. We'll miss you Barbados! X

• Stayed April 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hastings
Hilton Barbados Resort
#1 of 26 in Saint James Parish
Accra Beach Hotel & Spa
Accra Beach Hotel & Spa
#22 of 49 in Christ Church Parish

Been to Coconut Court Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!