“Diamond in the rough”

Coconut Court Beach Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Hastings
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We just returned from our third stay on Barbados and our first at Coconut Court. We are definitely coming back. The hotel is perfectly situated; we paid for an ocean front room, but it seemed that all rooms faced the ocean (inquire when you make your reservation). Our balcony had French doors, which opened to the sounds of the sea. It doesn't get any better than that! The only downside was on our last night, the phone rang at 4AM to alert us to close the doors; not sure why. There was a manager's party, which we did not expect... it turned out to be the best night of our vacation! Great band, good food, nice vendors, and an attentive staff.

If you are planning to stay at this perfectly situated hotel, do not expect a spa. It is simple, clean and down to earth. Make sure to book this hotel on their website. It cost us $25 for the van from the airport to the hotel, which would have been included. We tried to make arrangements for breakfast, as we had read about this issue before arriving. We were told that since we didn't book through the hotel, we couldn't get breakfast included. After paying the first time, my husband went back to the office and finally managed to get 20% off the remaining breakfasts (we stayed 5 nights).

We have been advised that this hotel will undergo renovations, beginning this summer. It will be done in phases. The room we had was very large, but no bathtub. The most modern feature was the hairdryer. Whenever a light went out or we needed something, the hotel staff was both polite and efficient.

This is a perfect location for someone who doesn't want to bother with getting dressed up or worrying about what they wear to the beach. If you can live simple, it's for you. The bus stops right outside the hotel. You are conveniently situated between Bridgetown and St. Lawrence Gap. There are several good restaurants within walking distance, and a convenience store across the street. Our room had a large refrigerator with a freezer, so we were very content! It also had a microwave. There was room enough to fit a small sofa bed to accommodate more people.

The reef that you see in the photos is one reason for selecting this hotel. You cannot get pulled out to sea (our son and another child almost drowned when we stayed at The Hilton). You can walk for 15 minutes along the beach, in either direction. The second reason we chose this hotel was for the palm trees on the beach. I needed to be in the shade. I was not disappointed.

If you want to be pampered, go somewhere else. My husband and I will definitely return here, where we felt welcomed and at home.

Room Tip: You will hear some noise from the street, but not much. There are no elevators, but higher is bette...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jakala15
Write a ReviewReviews (2,274)

Reviewed April 26, 2013

We stayed here for four nights this month. I was sooo impressed with everything! This is the 12th Caribbean island I have visited and this hotel is near the top of the ones I have been to.
Service: We arrived early and the person at the front desk was very accommodating to us. She even called to have a room available for us within a half hour of our arrival. Very friendly staff at front desk and in restaurant. They also have a person who sets you up with tours/activities who was very friendly and helpful.
Room: We stayed in an ocean front room. It was very clean, comfortable, had full size fridge, microwave, dishes and utensils, there is also hot water in the shower.
Bugs: I did not see any in our room, we even slept with the door propped open all night (fell asleep to ocean waves every night) and did not get any mosquito bites! No bugs on the beaches either!
Food: Buffet breakfast was excellent, I was hoping for more West Indian options on the lunch and dinner menus, food was a little expensive but it is expensive EVERYWHERE in Bdos, lots of places to eat nearby as well. The restaurant here is incredible though. It overlooks the beach and water, it's open air, nicely decorated, could hang out there for a long while and relax!
Beach: amazing, good swimming and snorkelling right out front, a few minutes down the beach is a nice boardwalk along the water's edge-walked it at night and it was very safe! There are some places to eat along the boardwalk and also good swimming spots (with big waves to jump in/beach chairs/drinks) at the end of it!
Location: really good location, quiet-other than when there is live music performing who are really good! local buses stop right out front and they only cost $1US to ride! I suggest hopping on one and seeing where it takes you, we did this for a few hours one day...if you feel lost, people are very friendly helping you out with directions! And the buses are neat-most of them play loud reggae music-enjoyable rides and good way to see the inner areas of the island
There is also a gift shop where you can get sunscreen etc, which we had to do a few times!
I have already recommended this place to friends and family when they go to Barbados. It is a really good value here!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank L W
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I am currently a guest here, as part of a large group of university faculty from the US. This hotel is not the fanciest place, but it's benefits far outweigh the cons. We arrived a checked in quite late, which I suspect was a hassle for the two ladies checking us in. They were very pleasant and tried hard to make the process go as smoothly as possible. Sure, some things went wrong, but the staff try very hard to rectify matters immediately.

I find it interesting that the complaints are about the "dated" facilities/decor, AND about the construction noise commensurate with efforts to address the decor. Folks want an updated hotel, but don't want the work to occur during your stay. Well, then when shall the proprietors allow the construction to occur?

I can tell who hasn't lived along the seaside. . . Those who complain about rust. Here's a news flash: salt water is corrosive, and it occurs quickly. So unless you are paying US $300+ per night, your expectations are unreasonable. I suggest that one cease looking at the lamp fixture and refocus on the prettier light . . .the sunrise!

Waves too choppy? Well ya should have done your homework and booked on the WEST side of the island. CCBH cannot control Mother Nature.

So far, I am finding this lovely hotel to be a wonderful place. The sights and sounds remind me of the beaches of Southern Cal . . . But the water here much more beautiful. The staff have been friendly and quick to respond to my needs, and I'm getting work done because of it all. I will come back some day with my husband and children.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank drjomc
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We made a huge mistake in giving Coconut Court a second chance following a previous visit in 2011. Unfortunately we required 4 days at a hotel as we waited for our apartment to become available to us. I should have backed my better judgement and learned my lesson from my first visit.
The truth is, we had an even worse experience due to the decaying condition of the property, despite what we were constantly informed was an ambitious refurbishment programme. Yes, there was condiderable building noise which was constant throughout the day when in and around our room - surely guests should be (1) warned beforehand and (2) offered alternative accommodation.

Anyway, back to the stay: -
(1) Breakfast is still shocking !
(2) the showers and lack of hot water is still an issue
(3) the attitude of management to adverse comments is met with an intransigence which defies belief. It is almost as if they are granting you a priveledge by letting you stay here.

I would add, that I have read responses to a number of critical/negative reviews of this establishment on here and a consistent theme is the inability to accept any failings ( and there are many).

Coconut Court, along with the rest of Hastings in general is in sad decline. It is an issue that needs to be addressed or the already dwindling tourist trade will die off. Personally, I can remember a vibrant era from the late 1970's/80's. - sadly those days have long gone and form the evidence I have seen will never be seen again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
12  Thank Simba2
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We have just returned from a weeks stay at this hotel. The hotel was an average, old, and 2 star rated. The room was not too bad but the bed skirt was muddy. The worst thing was the construction activity in the block we were staying in. Unbearable jack hammering noise from 10:00 am till 3:00 pm was very harmful to ears. The staff were nice but the management and the owners do not respect the guests at all. The block that the construction activity going on should not have been booked AT ALL. It is greediness, rudeness, and disrespect. Read their responses to these reviews. They indicate that the construction will continue in the 2014 as well meaning that they will ruin your holidays regardless. One goes, one comes, any complaint, here is an apology. It is that simple.
Food was not great, breakfast very boaring, and it seemed the left over dinner (chicken, fish, etc.) was served in the morning as "chicken cake", "fish cake", etc. in fried meatball shape. Lack of veggies and fruit. Limited dinner menu. Same dessert for 4 days????
IF YOU DO NOT WANT YOUR HOLIDAYS RUINED, then DO NOT make any reservations with this hotel. Don't be FOOLED by the complimentary reviews. Choice is yours.
T

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
11  Thank Adnan Z
islandgirl1972, Owner at Coconut Court Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Dear Guest, thanks for sharing your thoughts about your recent stay with us at Coconut Court. I am sorry that you didn't have a good time. I thought that you were extremely tough on us.
I actually received an email today from one of our suppliers advising me that based on our refurbished hotel rooms and general improvements that we have made to our property over the last 12 months, they have decided to improve our star rating from 3stars to 3+ stars. I am really happy about that and I feel that it is an honest assessment of our hotel.
I can assure you that we do care about our guests very much and we are in this business (24 hours a day, 365 days a year) because we love it! It has absolutely nothing to do with being greedy, rude or disrespectful. I dont think that we would still be in business and doing well after 38 years if what you have said about us was true. I know that this is a public forum and folks can write whatever they feel like but I did not appreciate your comments about my staff or my family. You are way out of line. If you were honest, you would have noted that we relocated you to another room and did our very best to ensure that you were comfortable and well cared for. Unfortunately our efforts were not successful but I know that we did everything that we could for you.
For those other folks reading this...Let me see if I can help you by sharing some of the details... We are scheduled to refurbish 30 guest rooms in May/June 2013 and to date we have taken out only 3 guest rooms on the car park level of that building so that we can work on these as our sample/showcase rooms. It takes a while to strip a room entirely and we also wanted to try different paints, tiles etc. before making our final decision. This is what we have been doing with those 3 rooms. The rest of the guest rooms in that building (27 units) are open and some of them are occupied but when the refurbishment project begins we will close the building. Despite the harsh comments posted by this one guest, I sincerely do not think that the work being carried out in those three rooms could justify closing the entire building. WE will close this building from May 6th to June 30th, 2013.
We have employed a professional contractor for the May/June project (the same folks that did such a great job last year) and the entire building will be screened off from other guests (including car park, landings and balconies) to minimise any disruption to our hotel guests. Our working hours will be 10am-4pm Monday to Saturday. In all honesty you can expect some noise, particularly in the early stages but I think that overall, things should be reasonable. We are not replacing the existing floor tiles in these 30 rooms so this will minimise dust and noise significantly. The only area to be retiled in these 30 units will be the bathrooms.
This entire process will be done once again in May/June 2014 when we refurbish the remaining 30 units at the hotel. I hope that this information has helped to alleviate some of your concerns. If you would like to email or telephone me to discuss anything else regarding this project then please do so. Unfortunately Trip Advisor does not allow me to list personal details but I can be reached at the hotel by email or telephone me (via reservations office). If you write to me (Linda Lampkin) then I will respond to your questions, I am happy to help.
Please take a moment and read other reviews about our hotel before making a decision whether to book your next holiday with us or not. We are not perfect, and the biggest room in this life is the room for improvement so please be assured that we will do all that we can to make your holiday the best! I really do love this place, there is something very special about it and I am sure that you will feel the same way too when you come to visit us.
Best regards, Linda, Jason, Mark and the team at Coconut Court.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

I have recently returned from a weeks stay at the Coconut Court. The hotel has a wonderful beach front location and is ideally situated to get to the many wonderful restaurants on the island. The rooms are clean but basic and the staff very helpful and friendly, especially the bartender on the beach bar. The only aspect of this hotel which needs some attention is the restaurant. It is not run by the hotel, presumably it is leased to a caterer. The restaurant overlooks the beach and ocean, so it has the perfect setting. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for the breakfast. The presentation of the food is not enticing and the buffet is quite poor and basic. If you like eggs then you will not be disappointed! I feel the restaurant lets the hotel down as there is so much potential to make it a pleasant dining experience. We did not use the restaurant for dining in the evening.
I would love to return to the hotel but the restaurant would have to be improved.

Room Tip: All rooms appear to face the sea, so you are assured of a room with a view!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Huntsmead
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Just returned from a ten day stay at Coconut Court and couldn't have had a better time. We had a quick check in and got to our room in a timely manner. Below we list some of the highlights.

Hotel: We paid for oceanfront room but got oceanview. We asked the duty manager but she assured us that we had the room we paid for. The room was large, king bed, nice balcony,in room safe but very small washroom with small shower.Room was always kept very clean by staff. Grounds are very well kept, everything is clean, lots of tables and chairs on pool deck and plenty of loungers on the beach.

Beach: Plenty of shade provided by beautiful palm trees and almond trees. Water was lovely but a bit rocky getting in. We will definitely bring water shoes next time. Antonio at the beach bar lives up to his reputation.Great guy, just a joy to be around. Never forgets a name and really seems to enjoy his work.

Food: We paid up front for the continental breafast which was just fine. Eggs, homefries, beans,
fruit, pastries,coffee and juice. We ordered on occasion sausage and or bacon for $5US which
was well worth it. We had bbq buffet at $25USpp and curry night for $22USpp and we would recommend both. A club sandwich at the beach bar at lunch hit the spot as well. Banks beer was $3US and most cocktails were $4US.Jan, Mark. Gerald and Harriet were all very pleasant
as were all the staff, we just can't remember all their names.
We ate at a few restaurants in the area as well. We can recommend Mama Mias right across the street, Blakeys just down the boardwalk, Just Grillin 10 minutes past Blakeys on the street.
Harlequins in The Gap and Pat's Place in Oistens.

Ted's Tour: We really enjoyed joining Ted for an informative tour around the island. He is so knowledgeable and a real fun guy to be around. We would recommend this tour and it's easy to book right at CC.

Managers party: It was a real pleasure meeting you Linda. As you know Herb had read all about your family and hotel prior to our arrival so it was nice to finally meet you. We enjoyed our chats and learning even more about your lovely island home and of course your Toronto
connection. We know your family are always striving to make CC an enjoyable place to stay. We look forward on our next stay to seeing the changes now underway.

Can't wait to return to Barbados and Coconut Court

Happy Travels
Jackie and Herb

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ifif
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hastings
Yellow Bird Hotel
Dover Beach Hotel
Dover Beach Hotel
#3 of 4 in Dover
Coral Sands Beach Resort

Been to Coconut Court Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!