“WORST HOTEL I HAVE STAYED IN BARBADOS”

Coconut Court Beach Hotel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Hastings
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Just returned (25th.Sept 2012.) from an 8 day stay in the Coconut Court Beach Hotel. We are both in our 60ies.and well travelled but do not demand perfection just basic standards.
This is my 10th.visit to Barbados and this hotel is the worst I have stayed in on the Island.
We were guaranteed a Superior Beachfront Ocean view room upgrade by Thomsons Tailormade Holidays and when we saw the room were most disappointed. The toilet seat was disgusting, the Hair drier didn't work,there was a crack across the sink and a number of lights did not work and there was only one chair on the balcony. We were moved to a Standard room which was in far better condition and larger than the upgrade room although the view was not so good.
We were not told of the major building work that was going on and which had to be finished by the beginning of October for a large number of guests arriving, or that there was over a 100+ steps from the superior room to the bar or resturant.( No lift.)
I must say that the staff were very friendly and lovely people but the management were not really interested with our problems. On arrival the hotel wanted a deposit against any damage that may be caused by us. We paid this deposit in £ sterling but we had to accept Barbados dollars on vacating the room on the last day.
The breakfast was not worth having so we never had any evening meals at the hotel. We went to
a restaurant called "Tapas" half a mile away which was superb and not that much more expensive.
I cannot understand people giving this hotel the top reviews unless they have not experienced other hotels on the Island or it is their first visit to Barbados.
The beach is reasoable but there are many better.
Butterfly Beach Hotel much better or was the last time we stayed there last year.

Room Tip: Dont just accept trip advisor reviews. Try and find first hand knowledge about the hotels and resort...
10  Thank Terry W
islandgirl1972, Owner at Coconut Court Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Dear Guest, it is our job to ensure that all of the guests that visit our hotel enjoy themselves and have a wonderful holiday. Sometimes though, we meet persons that are impossible to please. After meeting you and listening to your comments at the Manager's Cocktail party it quickly became very clear to me that you were one of those people. Regardless, you are entitled to your opinion and I must respect that. Please allow me to respond.
I know that you were treated with kindness and courteous service while you were with us. You booked our most economically priced Standard Room but were upgraded at no additional cost in a top floor Ocean Front room with an unobstructed ocean view 9Room #119) at no additional cost. We do not have a lift, but this information is clearly advertised. If you required a lower floor then we would have appreciated this being noted on your booking. Once you made your difficulty known to us however, we moved you to a car park level room.
Our housekeeping department regularly receives very high commenadtion for the cleanliness of the guest rooms. Each guest room is checked prior to arrival (and while occupied) and though I find your comments extremely hard to believe, I will ensure that this matter is drawn to the attention of our Housekeeper and her team and action will be taken if deemed necessary.
Our hotel policy is to take a credit card authorisation (BB$100 per day) for incidentals etc. on arrival. Persons without a credit card may leave cash. Our local currency is Barbados dollars. We exchange foreign currency at the Front Desk as a service to our guests but we are not a bank and Barbados Law does not permit us to sell foreign currency back to our guests. This can only be legally done at a local bank with passport identification.
We renovated thirteen guest rooms this summer. We chose to carry out this project during our summer season when the hotel occupancy is lowest and the rates most economical. It was not possible to close the hotel for such a small project. We were careful to keep the work area well cordoned off with a standard work schedule of Monday through Friday only to minimise disruption to guests.
The Continental breakfast is complimentary for all guests (until December 14th, 2012) and we work hard to offer as much choice as we reasonably can.If you were disappointed, then I am sorry but I would like to point out to persons reading this review that we have received some favourable guest comments about what is on offer.
There are many beautiful beaches in Barbados and in my humble opinion, the Coconut Court beach can be included as one of the island's finest. We have safe swimming year round in our protected lagoon, great snorkelling for beginners in our reef balls, plenty of shady coconut and almond trees, a fun beach bar staffed by Antonio (one of the best barmen you will ever have the pleasure to meet) and it is connected to the South Coast Boardwalk with easy access to restaurants, shopping and other local beaches.
I would like to finish by saying that I am most certainly not a disinterested manager. I love my job and I sincerely enjoy meeting the people that come to stay with us. I know that my team feel the same passion - that's why they work here.
We have made some wonderful friends over the years. Comments like yours are very upsetting, especially when we did everything we could to make you feel comfortable and welcome here. You did tell us to expect this review though and you did not disappoint. If I remember correctly, your words were "I'm going to kill you on Trip Advisor and you are going to stop getting business because of it."
For all of those folks that are reading this review, I would ask you to use your own discernment. We currently have in excess of 800+ reviews on this travel site and we enjoy a four out of five star rating. This year we were awarded a Certificate of Excellence from Trip Advisor for consistently recieving commendation for service excellence from our guests. This hotel has been the lifeblood of my family and staff for over 35 years and I can assure you that we are dedicated to making your holiday the very best experience that Barbados has to offer.
Best regards, Linda, Jason,Mark and the Coconut Court team.

There are newer reviews for Coconut Court Beach Hotel

Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stayed there last year in September and had a few problems with the AC (eventually quit) and being moved to a new room. This year we again stayed in September and it was much better. They are doing renovations to some of the rooms and it certainly shows.

While there we always saw one of the owners on the premises and on our last day also met a second owner (part of the Blade family). Both thanked us and asked that we come back. A high lite of the stay was meeting Lorraine (matriarch of the family) in the lobby. It has been years since we last saw her so just being able to chat with her was great.

As stated on other reviews the rooms are quite large (showers excepted) and comfortable. For most rooms you will have a view of the sea, if you are at deck level you won't, but then it is more convenient getting to and from the beach, bar and restaurant. All the staff we ran into were pleasant and smiled a lot, but then we are frequent travelers to Bdo's so know some of them from other venues. A smile and greeting always got the same back, from the day we first met them until the end. Using their first names also helps in getting responses.

My only complaint is the lack of free WiFi which now appears to be targeted by the end of the year.

Overall I would highly recommend this hotel. Just don't expect the same amenities as you get across the street at the Marriotte, keep your expectations a little lower and you will have a good time.

Room Tip: All rooms face the sea, the higher you are the better the view. Balconies have adjoining (locking...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank bgifanc
islandgirl1972, Owner at Coconut Court Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

Dear Friends, thanks so much for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. I am very pleased that you had a great time. We are a family business so we are at the hotel most days. I was pleased to meet you and I am only sorry that we chatted on your final day. That was my first day back from vacation so unfortunately I was not around to chat with you earlier. (Folks are always asking where a Bajan goes on holiday - this Bajan goes to Barbados of course - we rent a beach house on the East coast of the island every summer - no internet, no TV, no telephone and no radio - wonderful!). I am sorry about the lack of free WIFI at the hotel though - we were hoping to have this completed by the end of September but we are still waiting for the installation to be completed. In the meantime, we have a payable WIFI service, a wired service in the lobby and a free WIFI service available from The Blue Room from 5pm. Next time you come, it will be available free of charge int he hotel. Thanks for giving us a thumbs up! We really appreciate your kind sentiments. I also appreciated your kind words about my mum, Lorraine. She is getting older now but still enjoys chatting with everybody. Thanks for remembering her - she was thrilled!
Best wishes, Linda, Jason, Mark and the Coconut Team.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

My wife and I went to this hotel to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary from 17th to 24th of September. The staff there were brilliant and most people were so helpful and friendly, especially Antonio at the Beach Bar who is really a cool dude! The room was clean and well looked after. There wasn't really any real noise. We had a fantastic time getting out and about, Ted's Tours is worth a go; he's a great sport, a good laugh and does a great rum punch on an excellent and comprehensive tour. We also did the catamaran tour with Elegance, a great choice for those who don't like loads of people stuffed on a hot boat! Really nice day and the turtles were truly something special. Eliane at the hotel Activities desk organised the tours and we wish to thank her for all her valued help.

Beware some of the street vendors in Bridgetown, especially if you have kids, they put bracelets and necklaces on them and then of course you can't get shut!

Only a few things you need to know about the hols that we didn't like: visually impaired people will find it quite stressful, loads of unmarked steps and self service in the hotel although just ask and they will help! The pavements all throughout Barbados are really bad with gaping holes and huge unexpected steps and if you have walking difficulties or use a wheelchair, forget it!

And the hotel do a couple of things we don't like... they charge commission to change the smallest amount of US $ although anywhere else didn't and beware, try to make a phone call to the UK and you'll be charged whether the phone answers or not... cheeky... very cheeky!!!

Overall though, a massive hit. We'll be back.

1  Thank Jim L
Reviewed September 25, 2012

My wife and I spent four nights here in early September and had a blast! This was our third trip to the island, and our best yet! The hotel is clean, safe, in a great location, and the staff are amazing. Our previous two trips were spent at all-inclusives so we wanted to switch it up this time and arrange our own dinning options. The hotel is no Ritz Carlton, but it is friendly, personable, and spotless. The beach is nice (a bit rockey), but a 10 minute walk to Accra beach which is my personal favourite in BGI. There is never a problem getting lounge chairs so you don`t have to worry about getting to the beach at 6am. There are no umbrellas available, however there are plenty of palm trees to lay under for shade. The rooms were very clean and had all the ammenities we needed. They are renovating a section of the hotel but they only work from 10-4pm and the noise was never a factor for us. The hotel tries hard to make sure the guests are happy! The buffett breakfast was better than expected after reading some of the reviews here. The food at lunch and dinner were good too! The hotel has theme nights when they serve an Italian buffett, bajan bbq night with steel drum band, and a few other nights with live entertainment. Our personal favourite was the beach bar! Happy Hour specials daily and Antonio the bartender simply made the experience even better. My wife and I both agree we had a better time at Coconut Court than we did at the all-inclusive resorts which were double the money and then some. I think we have found our new spot in Barbados!

Room Tip: All rooms have an ocean view, the higher the floor the better the view! There are no elevators for t...
1  Thank psallan
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We stayed there a couple of years ago and it was only acceptable.We came back ln April 2012 and it was very nice. Room cleaned every day and was cheerfully painted and comfortable. The beach is great. Staff was nice and helpfull. Free breakfast was good and saved money on food which is expensive ln Barbados.The hotel is near the bus stop.The area is lovely. The new board walk is close by. We have been going to the Caribbean for at least 25 years and this trip was probaly the best. Hope to come back in April 2013 . It was very relaxing and we really had a swell time.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Just returned from a week at Coconut Court. Large clean room, nice and comfy. Decent breakfast. Lovely pool and beach. Spotted some monkeys playing by the building across from my balcony one morning! My main concerns over the week were the noise from traffic that starts at about 6.30am and the broad daylight in the room around the same time due to the white curtains letting way too much light in.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 23, 2012

My girlfriend and I spent the week here, Sept 15-22nd. It was so much fun. The beach is beautiful, and there is a nice boardwalk very close with spectacular views to the beach. The hotel was clean, rooms were clean, very friendly staff. Close to the airport, about 15, 20 minute ride. We booked with st james tours so we had a shuttle take us, but if not, its about a 20 dollar us. cab ride . busses are easy to take, 2 dollars barbados fare per person. Breakfast was better than i read about, eggs everyday toast, some fruit and cereal coffee juice water, not bad . The location is really good to go to Bridgetown or to St Lawrence gap, bus rides are not far at all.
We went to Crane beach one day, you dont have to pay the hotel if you use the public entrance, ask the bus driver to drop you off there. It was very nice and wavy and provided great picture taking opportunities.
The tour we chose to take was the island jeep safari, so much fun. Takes you all over the island and your tour guide provides great insight/information about different locations etc. It was really fun with great pictures. You go with like 8 people, so you will make some friends. Sorry to the couple we didnt get to say bye to!! You were very nice!

Oh definately go to Accra beach, walk to the boardwalk and go to the end of it and it is right there . like a 15 minute walk. So beautiful with all white sand in the water, no rocks. Very nice to spend the day there. bring sunblock!

There are many things to do, cave tours, i took a surfing lesson from dread or dead surfing, really fun those guys are really laid back and cool.
I definately will want to come back To Barbados it was a lot of fun and Coconut Court is a great hotel with a great location. On the beach and close to locations you will want to visit!

2  Thank Lund88
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hastings
Hilton Barbados Resort
Butterfly Beach Hotel
Savannah Beach Hotel
Savannah Beach Hotel
#4 of 9 in Hastings

Been to Coconut Court Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!