“Lovely holiday with just a few niggles”

Savannah Beach Hotel
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Hastings
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Lovely holiday with just a few niggles”
Reviewed June 5, 2014

I had researched this hotel before booking and read the stories about the plantation wing . I emailed the hotel prior to arriving requesting NOT to have one of these rooms and also to mention that I was booking for a special occasion as it was my husbands 40th birthday on the day we arrived . So on arrival I was presented with the key to a plantation room because this is what I had booked . No where on my booking information did it state this so be careful as this may be a cheaper option for the tour operator. I just knew I was booked into the Savannah Beach and that was all .
I viewed the room which was dark , dingy, drab and depressing . My son had been placed in a bed in what was the entrance to the room , no balcony and a view into another room ! I immediately went to reception to request another room , only to be told there was none available . I was advised to see the rep in the morning . We went to Rachel's for food and waited 35 minutes for someone to take our drinks order . Granted it was the valentines day and very busy but after a long flight and the hassle of my room I was looking forward to a drink . After 15 minutes my husband went to the bar and got the drinks order . This was basically the order of the night , we stayed for starters and mains but got sick of waiting for sweets so left .
In the morning I was waiting for the virgin rep Linda who I must say is lovely and very helpful. I was practically in tears the thought of having to stay in such a dismal room . She assured me she would do everything she could to get my room changed but was told that this would be at an additional cost . We went to the beach to start enjoying our holiday and in the afternoon Linda came to see us to ask us to view a different room . It was a ground floor room in the main hotel and you could access the pool also . Lovely spacious room and a lot more inviting . Our luggage was moved by the porters so all very efficient .
From this point the holiday got significantly better . The food is nice , but improvements could be made to the variety .
My biggest gripe was the vip upgrade , we didn't take this option but you certainly knew about it. We would go to the bar and they would look at the colour of your wristband . Fancy cocktails with trimmings if you had the right colour , also couldn't get a bottled beer as this was also kept for the vips . We pointed this out on many occasions and they said they had ran out of bottles then five minutes later somebody would walk past with one . We even asked the manager at the management get together in the courtyard about this and we were told bottles were for ALL guests . I wish someone had told the staff that as it became very annoying , not what you expect when you pay nearly £4.5K for a holiday .
Whilst there we went on three of the virgin excursions .... The jeep safari , the catamaran trip and also the cave trip with the wildlife sanctuary . Loved the safari and the catamaran , not so much the caves , had to wait over an hour when we arrived to actually go in .
The hotel is lovely as long as you get put in the nice end . Its like a two star and four star combined and you will certainly know about it if you get put in the two star end. I personally think these rooms should be hospitality rooms only or for people just staying for one night before a cruise .
We seen the monkeys on a couple of occasions but we are early risers , there are also mongoose on the side where the road is . Some beautiful birds as well as lots of humming birds . I personally loved the beach at the front but had took beach shoes after reading the reviews , the water is so clear and we seen puffer and box fish .
To summarise after a shaky start we had a lovely holiday with just a few niggles . the majority of the staff are lovely and would like to say a special thanks to Tyrone, Darious and Gladstone who gave exceptionally friendly and efficient service and to Linda the virgin rep for making me smile .
Overall a lovely holiday on a beautiful island and yes I would return ..... only to the nice part though

Room Tip: Do NOT stay in the plantation end
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Jones1106
SavannahManagement, Manager at Savannah Beach Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Dear Jones1106,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on your recent holiday with us. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and niggles you experienced. It is always our intention to provide memorable and seamless experiences to each and every guests. We acknowledge the service standards you highlighted and intend to use this review as a development tool for our training.

We are happy to see that you had a glimpse of the monkeys and the other tropical animals while with us. Thank you for highlighting our staff, we will share your compliments with them. It is refreshing to learn that you will consider a return visit. We intend to use the second chance to ensure you receive the exceptional level of service that we pride ourselves on delivering daily.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (507)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 4, 2014

We have just returned from this wonderful hotel and stayed here from 20th May for 2 weeks. The Savannah Beach Hotel is the smallest hotel we have stayed in but one that has the biggest heart. We usually go for the big resorts with 2 or 3 pools etc and loads of facilities but since we have stayed here we have realised you do not get the personal feel from such a big resort as there are lots of guests to cater for and we have now realised we have just been a 'number' in these places. From the moment you arrive all you can see is the side of the plantation house and you cannot see the majority of the hotel but once you walk down the steps to Chopstix you are met with a beautiful courtyard where the pool meanders its way through. The courtyard is lit up at night and you can drift away listening to the waterfall whilst enjoying a drink. The room we stayed in was 367 and had a lovely spacious balcony overlooking the pool and had an old colonial style to it. The staff are what makes this hotel a delight to stay in. From the reception staff who greet you on arrival to the cleaners they are so friendly. I would like to point out certain staff members but I can honestly say that every single staff member who we came into contact with made us feel like we were the only guests there. The food is absolutely amazing, you can eat in Rachel's which is a la carte and is outstanding or you can eat in Chopstix which is a noodle bar where the food is freshly cooked at the counter, again the food is superb and the service is wonderful. If you prefer to eat in a more relaxed atmosphere you can choose to eat in Drifters beach bar at the all you can eat buffet and once again the staff are fabulous here. The exectuive Chef Cecil works hard to provide such an impeccable service of food and we had the pleasure of meeting him personally as he invited our young son into the kitchen's for a visit to see how a hotel kitchen works as he wants to be a chef when he is older...Cecil surprised him with his very own Savannah Beach Chef Jacket embroidered with his name along with the apron and hat ! This is something our son will never forget and something I have never seen before in any other hotel. Tyrone generally greets you in a morning at breakfast and has impeccable manners and charm, he is a very professional guy but still allows his sense of humour to shine through. The bar manager is a wealth of knowledge and advise and we enjoyed many an evening sat at the bar whilst we waited for our table. Every evening at Drifters beach bar there is live music which is different each night. The staff here are fabulous and it shows how happy they are in their job as they join in dancing,singing etc as they work. Darius - we nicknamed him 'bouncy man' is hilarious, he is such a happy guy ! And Winston - you never see him out front at the bar etc as he is a kitchen worker but dances and dances away whilst he is working which is a joy to witness. S.I - a nickname for a lovely lady who served us in Chopstix along with another young lady whose name we didn't get unfortunately but both of them were so pleasant and made us feel like we had a personal service.
This hotel is rated as a 3.5* but for us we feel it should be 5* status.
Anthony the general manager clearly has this hotel running efficiently and smoothly with an air of character and charm and has the perfect blend that makes a holiday one to remember. On chatting to Anthony we were asked if we had any ideas to help provide a better experience or if there was anything at all they could help us with, this was fantastic to hear as it proves we are all important to them and literally nothing was too much to ask.
For the very first time in our family holiday history we have NO complaints or even any 'niggles' but I know that if we had the staff would have done everything in their power to put it right.
I would 100% recommend anyone to stay here as I have never experienced such outstanding service in any other hotel i've stayed in all over the world.
We are already planning for next year and it cannot come quick enough !
Thankyou to Anthony and the management team for providing a service you would only ever find in a 5* hotel and thanks must go to Cecil and his team for such amazing culinary delights !
But without the everyday hard work from each staff member working together to make everyone feel special the hotel would not be what it is so Thankyou to everyone - we are missing you all already.

Room Tip: Pool view/access rooms are supposed to be quieter than the plantation rooms
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
10 Thank samhayes
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 30, 2014

Got back yesterday after 10 nights at Savannah beach I have never seen a hotel where the staff are so polite,friendly and happy nothing is to much trouble.The food was an absolute delight at all three restaurants the a la carte was restaurant quality in taste and presentation .thanks for a holiday we will remember for a long time

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
10 Thank Patricia H
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We have never been to Barbados before and was unsure where to go. After reading the reviews on tripadvisor we decided to book through Virgin for the Savannah. We expected an average hotel and found the rooms to be very spacious and nice (although bathroom could have done with some updating) staff excellent, a good choice of food and dining experiences on site and extremely good value for money. Located on the South Coast given the size of the island everything is accessible for those wanting to explore and very chilled for those not wanting to! I have stayed in some 4 star hotels that have not compared as good as this hotel. For anyone looking for a great value for money holiday in a friendly and relaxing environment then you are not going to go far wrong than the Savannah. Overall we had a chilled out very comfortable experience at the hotel and a great time in Barbados so if you are looking for this then this hotel is worth looking at. If you are a swimmer and enjoy going in the sea then you will need to take some shoes to protect your feet against the coral. If like me you like laying on the beach then no problem. The hotel does offer free shuttles a couple times a week to nearby beaches where you can swim but there are beaches that you can use that are within a 10-15 minute walk either side of the hotel. This hotel is a safe bet!

Review collected in partnership with Virgin Holidays

5 Thank Myles T
Cyprus
Reviewed May 27, 2014

We stayed at the Savannah Beach Hotel for 2 weeks in May. This was our first trip to Barbados and we picked one of the best hotels that I have ever stayed in. The staff at this hotel are some of the best I have ever come across and they were the ones that made this holiday a memorable stay. They were always smiling and they were always helpful. It was a pleasure to get to know so many of them. The hotel is quite small which I enjoyed as it enabled you to get to know people. The hotel grounds androoms were kept immaculately clean. The food was very good at all 3 restaurants. We ate mainly at Rachels in the evenings and there were several evenings that I regarded the meal as a 5* meal. The entertainment at Drifters was of a high standard. The beach was pretty but it was a shame you could not swim directly in front of the hotel. The location of the hotel was excellent with easy access to Bridgetown. Barbados is only small but is a beautiful island with some of the nicest locals that I have ever met. A truly wonderful holiday.

7 Thank John G
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 26, 2014 via mobile

I have been fortunate enough to visit Barbados on many occasions, varying from the west coast down to the south coast & this little gem of a hotel, with its fantastic staff, by far exceed anywhere I've stayed before.
I cannot agree more with mrcooljanny (the wonderful Sally &Jan). So if you want to read an honest review, take note of theirs.

We will definitely be back for a 3rd visit. See you soon Savannah!

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Elaine I
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 26, 2014

This is a lovely hotel, the rooms are very big and were immaculately clean. We were in a room that overlooked the pool. Not the usual shaped pool but one that did the circuit of the grounds. It's not very deep but still nice to swim in. It only took seconds to get to the local beach, this beach is quite rocky and not great for swimming but there are other beaches within minutes where you can swim. We were not bothered on the beach by sellers at all, there is plenty of shade and sunbeds and the Drifters Bar is there for drinks and food. Copa Cabana beach was within a short bus ride and one of the nicest beaches we've been on. The staff at the Savannah Beach were great, nothing was too much trouble. We ate in Rachel's and the Drifters Bar and the food in both was great. We would definitely return to the Savannah Beach and Barbados. We had a lovely holiday, were very well looked after and can't wait to return.

Room Tip: The pool view rooms are large and comfortable, we were not bothered by any noise.
2 Thank Lesley W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hastings
Hilton Barbados Resort
Bougainvillea Beach Resort
Bougainvillea Beach Resort
#11 of 49 in Christ Church Parish
Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels

Been to Savannah Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!