WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Hastings
Calumet City, Illinois
“Not what I expected”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for my birthday in September and I traveled with 5 other girls and in order to enjoy ourselves we stayed at the bar. The staff was very nice but didn't seem to care about our concern of the room. For this to be a 4 star resort I give it a 2 and that's being nice. The food wasn't that great...the site says it has 4 restaurant and 3 bars. I only saw two restaurants Chopsticks was always closed. I also don't like sharing my food with flying birds...I mean they were everywhere!!! They would fly by the food and staff didn't do anything. The beach was beautiful and Ostins was nice place to go on Fridays. My room was from a scene in a horror movie. The shower curtains were dirty the lights didn't work in the bathroom and on top of that they shut the hot water off at night. I definitely wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Bren915
SavannahManagement, Manager at Savannah Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. Your feedback is very much appreciated as it is a useful tool in our training and development. We are disheartened to learn that we fell short of your expectation, as it is always our intention to provide favorable memories to all our guests. To this end, we host weekly activities so our guests can get an opportunity to experience our Barbadian culture; at our weekly manager's barbecue there are quizzes, games and other competitions which are lots of fun and allow staff and guests interaction. To add variety to our dining options we provide entertainment, themed dinners at Drifter's restaurant and at Rachel's we offer an a la carte menu or a rotational table d hote menu option each evening. We apologize for any inconvenience you experienced whilst with us. We hope that at sometime in the future you would reconsider your decision and allow us another opportunity to welcome you back to our property.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (466)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from 7 days at savannah beach.. I must say after reading other reviews I was a little worried about what to expect.. people need to remember when booking this is rated as a 3.5 star hotel.. if you want luxury then pay more and book a 5 star hotel!!!!!
You get what you pay for!
All that said.. i was very happy with size of room.. maids did a good job every day.. food was better then I thought it would be.. a good variety every day and the staff are brilliant.. all very helpful and so friendly.. nothing is too much.
The beach is quite small and gets very busy.. the stones are not too bad.. a minute walk to the right and you can walk straight in to the sea.
All in all I had a very nice time and was pleasantly surprised.
I would book the savannah again should I ever return to Barbados

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank cmc1971
Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

Just returned from a ten day vacation in Barbados. Most all-inclusive resorts come with fully loaded fridges, beer, water and soda. The fridges were empty and when we asked about bottled water, we were told it was four dollars to purchase. Also should be more food available after dinner, even if only snacks. Most resorts have small grill area with fries, hot dogs nachos etc...Seems to be a bit under staffed, could use a few more employees, although the staff is working very hard to accommadate everyone. One more issue is the desk could let people know about the other beach that the shuttle goes to, the shuttle should be available everyday 9 to 5.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank llastrina1976
london.uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

I finally gave in to my urge to escape the freezing cold weather just before xmas. I was apprehensive as a woman travelling on my own.but I needn't have worried.

I have been to Barbados before and stayed at the Colony Club and the Amaryllis (next door to Savannah) but I can honestly say this hotel was friendlier and I found the standards high and I am going to return!

The room was big with a nice sofa and I did think about a Pool access room but glad I didnt pay an extra £98 for this as the pool which snakes round the hotel was easy to access. the shower is a bit tricky but you have a full size bath and ladies there is a hairdryer in the draw in the dressing table, dont use the bathroom one.

Breakfast for me was a leisurely affair and you can have a full english which I did and the omlettes were freshly made. I squeezed my own juice as there were plenty of oranges available. I loved sitting with the birds and it didnt bother me at all.... other guests need to understand this is the caribbean !! the birds are only small not like the seagulls in the UK! The restaurant staff were always welcoming and I noticed that some of the locals were eating in Rachels in the evening with their famiillies which must be a good sign...
Oh and the banana and ginger pancakes were delish !!

There is a nice beach the sea is rocky again I enjoyed watching the fish and sea critters under rocks.some guests spotted turtles swimming. I took the shuttle down to Copacobana beach hotel where you can get A/I drinks... the hotel also does a packed lunch one lady had so much we shared lunch together... a nice memory...If you go to this beach see Neville for the snorkelling with turtles and shipwrecks he was fantastic so encouraging and informative much better than the big catamaran trip I went on previously !!

Also watch out for the brilliant girl band Virgo!!! better than X factor. There is also a spa service which I didnt have time to use but oher guests recommended.

Anyone thinking of travelling alone especially ladies go for it .... I am already planning a return visit. Hello to Susan the head receptonist who came to see me as we share the same surname... a wonderful holiday thank you.

Room Tip: All lovely rooms
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank suzhLondon_uk
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are very pleased that you had a great stay with us and that you will be returning. Our kitchen team takes great pride in cooking up those daily breakfast specials and nothing is more enjoyable than having your omelette prepared in front of you with any filling of your choice. Thank you for all your recommendations and for highlighting the features of the hotel and commending our staff ; Susan will be happy to know you mentioned her service. On your next visit you will see more improvements and changes as we are continuously looking for ways to add variety to our operation and to make our guests visits enjoyable and memorable. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to your new home away from home!
Herts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

Spent Xmas @ Savannah. Disappointed Holiday cost high and feel the hotel is not in line with the costing. Room ok but needs updating as furnishings are old. Friends had Garrison rooms and were very small. Used one for hospitality room and felt very rundown. Bed very high and could cause concern for people less mobile on legs.
Chopsticks really good but needs people to use it more. Rachels food very good when A la Carte, but on other settings basic. Drifters restuarants very repeative and slow service. Where are the 4 bars and 3 restuarants. Check each day when the restaurants are actually open. Staff very attentive but unaware of how to make Mojita and asked every night for one, but did not have any mint. Remember hearing other people expressing their concerns about quality of food and temperarture.
Sunday racing good fun.

New Year gala meal really good and nice to see staff joining in festivities.
When in Barbados ensure you go out and eat as it is keeping the bars and resturants open. There are so many closed down and this is sad to see.
Beach is ok but definately need beach shoes as rocky but u can walk a little further along.
Really nice beach on other side of Ostins called enterprise beach, roti bar there and clear and safe sea.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
SavannahManagement, Manager at Savannah Beach Hotel, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us. We appreciate your feedback, as it gives us a clear understanding of our guests experiences and allows us to address any shortfalls in service delivery. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during your visit with us. We will look into the areas you highlighted and determine the best alternative to prevent any possible reoccurence in the future. It is difficult to address the issue of the room size, as our property carries several different room categories and each category is priced accordingly. We regret that you did not enjoy any of the activities that we had planned over the Christmas holiday. Our main objective is to always provide favorable experiences to all our guests, this can only be achieved with comments such as yours that let us know if we are heading in the right direction. Once again, thank you for sharing your review. We truly hope that in the near future you will visit with us again and allow us another opportunity to regain your confidence and to provide you with service that is second to none.
Gosport
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

Good Morning and Happy New Year to: Craig, Tricia and all the staff at the Savannah.

Just to let you know that we enjoyed ourelves so much at your hotel last July. That we have booked up again and will be with you in less than two weeks.

I hope Vice Admiral Horatio Nelson is alright:

Best wishes,
Peter & Jenny.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Peter L
Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Savannah Beach Hotel ... love the Colonial style of our room ... the staff are wonderful especially the reception staff, Trevor is good and Martin who delivers you beach chair with a smile ... the food was 'dreadful' in the Rachel's restaurant, far to many buffets ... The Drifters freshly made pancakes, burgers, chicken and tuna rosti, wraps are good. Really is impossible to swim. Mosquito bites are a problem.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 721Freya
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hastings
Coconut Court Beach Hotel
Bougainvillea Beach Resort
#10 of 49 in Christ Church Parish
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,832 reviews
Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels

Been to Savannah Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!