Actually stayed in Apr/May this year and made notes on return but forgot to post a review, so hopefully better late than never.
Impressed with Virgin Holidays collection from the airport, ice cold water on arrival, bags taken from us loaded into van and didn't see them again till we walked into the room and they were there, despite no markings apart from the airport luggage tag. Also love the fact you can check out in the hotel on return and enjoy some last rays of Barbados sun!
Check-in: pretty shambolic really, (not totally unexpected as we've been to the Caribbean before) whole load of us from the Virgin flight with no rooms ready. After 1/2 hour waiting we took the (long) walk to the beach bar and were placated with lashings of Banks icy beer. Problem solved, only went to see if room ready when sun went down.
Room: (126) was ground-floor pool access, which meant we had a little patio area with furniture and you could go and dangle legs/swim in the lazy river type pool which flows through the property. This was really welcome at the end of busy! day sunbathing, sat by the pool with a last drink listening to the whistling frogs. I can't really comment on the room, as long as everything works and it's clean that's fine by me and it was. Only a place to sleep really.
Beach: it is small and at first there were problems with seaweed but mother nature sorted this out herself after a couple of days. You can walk in over 200yards into the sea and it still only reaches you knees, but it is quite rocky. Lots of trees if you need a bit of shade. Plenty of loungers on the beach and I found if I put it parallel to the sea you got the beautiful sunrays till the sun went down. Perfect. The sighting of a whale was breathtaking, was out at sea but there was no mistaking the huge spout of water coming up and the distinctive tail coming out of the water. A majestic beast just cruising up the west coast, fantastic. My wife was actually the first to spot it but thought it was a dolphin! Bless. She managed to spot a monkey near the pool as well but I missed it. Were quite a few vendors, but very friendly even if you're not buying.
Pools: One main pool, quite small but access to beach bar. Only a few loungers but never had problem getting one, though we prefer the beach. The lazy river isn't very deep but was nice to wade through.
Entertainment: Not really my taste mostly jazz/soul would have preferred more Caribbean type music. All took place in Drifters bar area, where main meals were as well. Still was a good place to relax after dinner in the open air just by the beach listening to the Caribbean lapping away. Does it get any better than this...well not for me.
Food: We thought the food was fantastic. Lunch and dinner weren't really different apart from you could have burgers, hotdogs etc as well. The chips/fries were great sprinkled with a sort of seasoning not so different from the ones we've had at the Wingstop chain in the USA. There wasn't a massive choice but what there was, was cooked with thought and creativity. Especially good was the BBQ chicken, which I can honestly say was the best I've ever had. I didn't try Rachels (a la carte) as I prefer buffets as I like to try different things. Having said that breakast was in Rachels, and there are lovely views down the hotel to the sea.
Miscellaneous: It's a lovely old area and is part of the old British Garrison, and I think I read that the reception building was actually the old cookhouse for British troops, might be mistaken though. There are still old cannons pointing out to sea, and others abandoned on the beach further down towards the Hilton. It was a lazy holiday for us, didn't do much as have done Barbados before, but did go to the Garrison Savannah races (just across the road) which was good cheap entertainment. Just down the road from the hotel is the Blue Room bar which had daily happy hours, so not too dear. Went there for a change of scenery at night.
Work was ongoing during our stay, don't know if finished now, when it rains it can get very slippy and with lots of steps around, it's not really suitable for people with walking problems though there is a lift.
In all a fantastic holiday, minor problems but not enough to stop my 5 star rating.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated near the historic Garrison Savannah on the pristine coastline of Barbados, Savannah Beach Hotel is a beachfront four-star resort that easily ranks as one of the most idyllic destinations on the island. It is a Caribbean paradise that simply must be experienced! Forget everything you’ve ever known or experienced about all-inclusive hotels… Savannah is distinctly different. It is an all-inclusive hotel with style! Dive in… Savannah is an excellent choice for a relaxed Caribbean holiday. You are just steps from the beach, ensuring a blissful holiday in the Caribbean sun. Spoilt for choice, there are 2 swimming pools, 1 that meanders through the garden courtyard and has a 4-storey waterfall, the other is located down by the beach. When it comes to family holidays, children and teens are extremely well catered for at this hotel, there is an extensive family entertainment centre (opening Easter ’12) to keep even the most energetic children entertained! For those romantic moments, why not go down to the beach for a moonlight romantic stroll before heading to the late night bar. Live entertainment 5 nights per week, including themed nights and floor shows. Weekly manager’s barbecue party. Three restaurants; the main restaurant has a twist on Caribbean gourmet dining, open for buffet breakfast, buffet lunch and dinner 7 days a week. The Beach restaurant and bar is open 7 days a week for lunch and 5 days a week for dinner serving a wide range of barbecue, pastas, grilled fish and burgers for lunch and in the evening a themed dinner including Mexican, Indian, Chinese as well as Caribbean cuisine. There is also an Asian fusion* restaurant open 5 nights a week for dinner (16 years and over only, a supplement of $25 BDS per person will apply). 4 bars including a late night bar that opens from 11.00pm – 1.00am. Afternoon tea is served daily. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Orbitz and Jetsetter so you can book your Savannah Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Savannah Beach Hotel Hastings
- Savannah Christ Church
- Savannah Hotel Christ Church
- Savannah Hotel Barbados
- Savannah Barbados
- Savannah Beach Hotel Barbados/Hastings