“Lovely cottage, well-equipped in a peaceful setting”

Te Aroha Holiday Park and Backpackers
Reviewed February 28, 2010

We really enjoyed our stay here, it was quiet with a lovely rural outlook but also close to town. The cottage was very comfortable, light and airy, with it's own little deck for breakfast outside. I particularly appreciated the high quality linen on the bed, it's great to sleep in really nice sheets! We liked being self-contained in a character cottage (kiwi bach style - nothing too flash but more than adequate for our needs & beautiful polished wooden floors).
We had our elderly Border Collie with us and there was plenty of space for her to have a wander without disturbing other guests, and the camp was well-set-up with clear rules for dog-owners and somewhere to put her doggie doos so not a problem if other guests weren't into dogs. She had a really special weekend too which was actually our last weekend away with her and we have good memories of that.
We had an event to attend in Hamilton & left our booking there too late, hence ending up in Te Aroha, but it was quite quick to get to Hamilton so worked out fine. As it turned out we actually enjoyed being in the countryside as opposed to Hamilton.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
AnnaTeAroha, Owner at Te Aroha Holiday Park and Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2010

Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your most helpful rewiew on tripadvisor. We understand the sensitivity by some people against pets and therefore hope to have created clear guidelines to allow both types of visitors to feel safe and catered for. I am impressed by the great care and love the majority of traveling pet owners show towards their animal friends and the respect shown towards the facilities provided here.

Reviewed February 16, 2010

We arrived at this Park (which we realise was too far south for our needs) and before we saw the accommodation said we would like to cancel the second night. No refunds. OK, our problem should have made sure of location and read booking properly, so we were paying whether we stayed or not! Got to the cabin and have never seen anything so bad! The settee was so faded it was white - not particularly a problem, but when two teabags are on a plate on the table (not in packing, they looked as though they had been used and dried out!) with a couple of crumpled sugar packets and coffee sachets on a very crumpled cloth - clean but not ironed, we were completely put off! The bed probably had clean sheets, but again not ironed and the towels and flannel had definitely seen better days. OK we are a middle aged couple and like to be comfortable but are definitely not averse to staying in basic accommodation and OK this is a camp site as well, but at $80 a night we did expect a bit more. Needless to stay we cut our losses and left - an expensive lesson - don't book any where that takes your money in advance unless you are positive of where and what it is!! It was the tea bags that really finished it for us! I just wish we had taken a photo!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking your time for this feedback. I can imagine that it must be frustrating to find that the location of the Te Aroha Holiday Park was in a different region to your expectations. Your feedback has prompted me to update my web site with more accurate directions for travellers to find us.
I recently had the opportunity to discuss linnen with other camping ground operators. None of those I spoke to have resources or an efficient method for ironing sheets. As we use good quality cotton based fabrics rather then thin nylon mix linnen, crinkles are sometimes visible on our large queen sized beds. I have now placed an iron in some of the Cottages, maybe this can be used by our discerning guests.
It is very embarrassing for me to hear about unsightly teabags being crinkled,etc., we will definetly address this by changing to an alternative brand with wrappings.
All our furniture is in a similar style, solid timber is the theme, the upholstery matches these pieces, but I agree the sofa in unit Tui is a bit faded by the sun as it gets a lot of light through our large windows. Your feedback has helped me to justify that this unit will be recovered by an upholsterer this winter.
I hope you will come back one day perhaps when your travel plans take you past our Hot pool heaven in Te Aroha. Thank you
Anna

Reviewed February 14, 2010

When we arrived we checked in to find the cabin wasn't very nice. My wife spoke to the owner and she eventually went to the cabin and cleaned it again including changing the sheets. After that everything was fine apart from the flies which you can't really do anthing about because you're in farm land. it is very quiet and comfortable.
The furniture could do with a little updating though.

Anna, you really should hake off the white bed protector that is on top of the bed before people arrive. It makes the room alot more attractive.

Overall a nice place to stay on a budget.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
AnnaTeAroha, Owner at Te Aroha Holiday Park and Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2010

Dear Mr Waters

Thank you very muchy for taking the time for this feedback. I am sorry that your wife was not happy with the colour of our sheets and bed covers but am glad that you had a relaxing two days Holiday here after I changed them. As we decided not to use chemicals or strong insecticide on our buildings, this recent moist summer together with grazing cattle across the deck has created ideal conditions for just about everything to sprout. So sorry the mountain was overcast when you were here.

Reviewed January 13, 2010

We recently had the pleasure of staying at Te Aroha and from the moment we arrived the staff were exceptionally helpful we stayd in a small van and found it clean and homely which i would say is the same for the whole park it has a lovely uncrowded relaxed feel with beautiful veiws.Thank you especially to Anna who even very generously offered to squeeze us in over the busy Xmas period.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 4, 2010

This is a great place to stay - it's an long-established camp, but the facilities are kept extremely tidy and clean and there's a calm atmosphere, to which two striking rows of century-old oak trees contribute. Te Aroha itself, 2 kms down the road, is an interesting town and there's enough to see both there and nearby to fill a two to three day visit - quite apart from the pleasures of relaxing at the motor camp itself. Not being at a beach, it's not as hectic as most such motor camps are in January. Congrats to Anna and all her team, including the energetic Kentaro, for providing such a pleasant place to stay and such an hospitable welcome.

Malcolm

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 27, 2009

We have stayed here twice and intend to go back again as soon as we can.
We stayed in Poppy the first time and Possum the second.
The smaller cabin, Poppy, is very cute and a really nice mix of having old features like the doors and floor boards but other things that you appreciate being modern are, such as the shower.
Possum is bigger with a separate bedroom and larger kitchen, which was handy when staying a bit longer. It has great views of the hills on one side and the fields on the other, with mares and foals in the next paddock. The deck at the side was perfect for sitting and having a wine and eating dinner.
There is, what I think is, a pretty large pool for a small camp site just across from the cabin and the outdoor spa is just fab.
We tried the private hot tub just next to Poppy the first time we stayed, and though it was luxurious and had fantastic showers, I liked the stone natural one more.
All in all I think this is a fantastic place to stay. Anna is friendly and helpful. The cabins are charming, comfortable and clean. The grounds themselves are spacious and cool with beautiful, huge oak trees. There seems to be heaps of other types of accommodation, small huts, caravans etc but everything still seems pretty private due to the way it is all laid out and the greenery.
Can't recommend it too highly!!!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2009

I really appreciated my stay at Te Aroha Holiday Park, it provided a peaceful get away and without being too far from Te Aroha. The trees next to the cabin also provided a chorus of birds which was lovely to listen to after the bustle of the city.
I stayed in the Poppy cabin which had a double bed, kitchen facilities and bathroom. I must say I miss the shower, the water pressure was lovely :-). The kitchen was basically stocked with cutlery, crockery, a large frying pan, microwave, kettle, toaster and hot plate. This cabin suited my needs and I found it very tidy. I noted it looked like it had recently been re-painted. Yes it was simple, but holiday parks are, its not a hotel. After searching the internet extensively, this holiday park was the cheapest option I found by at least $20. I therefore found it very good value for money at $50 per night.
I had planned to stay 4nights, but the cabin I stayed in was already booked for my last intended night so I moved into another smaller cabin. This just had a bed and basic kitchen facilities so I used the main camp ablutions which I found very clean for a holiday park. I also found the beds in both cabins very comfortable.
I can't speak highly enough of the host, Anna. She made me feel very much at home and went out of her way to help out.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
#1 of 4 in Te Aroha
Central Motor Lodge
Central Motor Lodge
#1 of 1 in Morrinsville

Been to Te Aroha Holiday Park and Backpackers? Share your experiences!