“Good and bad but not really a family hotel”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Pefkos Garden
Ranked #31 of 34 Hotels in Pefkos
Reviewed August 24, 2012

My family and I, (husband and 2 children aged 7&11) have just returned from a 2 week all inclusive stay at Pefkos Gardens.This was our third time in Pefkos however our first and probably only time at Pefkos Gardens. I had read the mixed reviews before hand but honestly could not imagine a place to be a bad as people were writing, not in Pefkos! its such a fantastic place!

Firstly the hotel: - its situated in an excellent location, 5 mins or so walk to Pefkos, with lovely gardens and stunning views from the roof top restaurant. However, the rooms are AWFUL. I have stayed in Greece for the past 15 years and am used to basic, but these just take the mickey! We had 4 single beds lined up together in a row, in a studio room suited for 2 people. There was not enough room to even swing one of the cats! it really was cramped and quite stressful at times trying to get 4 people ready in the small space. Ok for a couple, but not a family of 4. I don't know how parents with toddlers would cope. They were however kept very clean and linen and towels were changed every other day. The cleaners worked so hard and were lovely ladies. Very sad to see them sleeping on the poolside beds at night, really not sure why that was?.....

The pool: - lovely sized pool and kept pristine by the maintenance guy. However you need to be up by at least 730am to get a bed. Some people left towels on overnight which were never removed by staff! very annoying. We never once managed to get 4 beds for our family and had to make do with plastic chairs for the kids to sit on. Quite cramped at times and I could usually touch the next persons bed just stretching my hand out! The pool had to be closed one day due to 'poo' being discovered in the shallow end! quite hard to believe until we were told that the owner lets her dogs swim in there in the mornings. We however did not witness that.

The restaurant: - lovely rooftop restaurant with stunning views and a lovely team of staff who always worked hard and were polite and efficient at all times. Meals were OK, but thats all. Nothing special but all edible. Nothing at all separate for kids. So if you are looking for burgers and nuggets, this is not the place! Chips were served twice in the two weeks, same with fish fingers. Some days were better than others. I was getting a bit fed up with it all towards the end, the arrogance of other foreign holiday makers was disgusting to watch. They did not wait their turn for food, often piled their plates sky high, especially with croissants and cake which would then run out, but the worst was watching the way they treated the staff. Very sad to see one of the young plate clearers whistled at and then rudely told to clear their plates immediately......

The bar and courtyard: - Where do I start with this one!! The courtyard is a wasted space with entertainment only on once a week (Greek singer). There is absolutley nothing to do, bearing in mind this is an all inclusive so the nights are long and BORING! There is not one word to describe the bar man but at least 10, starting with arrogant, lazy, full of himself....... I could go on and on. I have never once come across a bar man in Greece like him. If he likes you then you are fine and you will get all the drinks that you want and when you want. However for some reason he did not like us one bit so we were in for a tough ride. He routinely ignores the kids waiting patiently at the bar and always serves the adults first. My boys waited from 1145pm until midnight to be told the bar was closed. When we disputed this they were given water! 5 minutes later an adult was served beer! And this was the story night after night. In the end we started walking into Pefkos at night just to get away. The atmosphere is geared more towards the Eastern Europeans, with Polish/Russian music being played mostly.

This hotel was not for us and I can honestly say that we are glad to be home. Such a shame as it has so much going for it. It is not a family run hotel and the staff are NOT greek apart from the owner Barbara and the manager George who you do not see very often (but who is a lovely man). I would not recommend staying here, Pefkos is such a lovely place, along with Lardos and Lindos. Look around, save your money and have a great holiday because you won't here!

1  Thank Michelle M
There are newer reviews for Hotel Pefkos Garden

Reviewed August 24, 2012

Hotel
There were 5 PC (2 broken), some seating, table tennis, pool, and information. Ran by the aggressive manager (Basil) or another blonde gentleman with glasses who I saw with 2 different girls in the time I was there (probably a different girl every week!) The all inclusive starts at 2pm on your first day (i.e. after lunch) and ends at 12 on your last day (i.e. before lunch). The 11 pm and 5pm coffee, sandwiches were horrid and not worth going for. During the day there is a gap after breakfast 10 until 11 when the bar opened, did not bother me but it might some.

Pool & Gardens
Pool area is nice, enjoyed the small pool for sitting and reading. There is just about enough seating although some chairs aren’t fully reclining or you might not get a cushion. Unfortunately, they allow guests to leave towels overnight; some frosty faced Russians/Polish did it every day. There is a small children’s play area. Gardens are kept nice. Overall this is the best bit about Pefkos Gardens.

Rooms
The rooms are typically basic Greek. The beds were rather uncomfortable with the metal frames digging in you. They were kept very clean and towels and sheets changed daily, which was very nice. Air conditioning 7e a day.

Restaurant
The food in the restaurant was typically Greek mostly, chips on 2 times a week. So not for you if you are a fussy eater or chicken nuggets and chips person. Breakfast was a cold buffet with 3 hot choices a day. It was actually quite nice apart from dodgy bacon & sausages. Fresh bread, Yoghurt, tinned peaches, boiled eggs, croissants, cornflakes, Juice, coffee etc. Lunch and dinner had various salads, Feta cheese, bread, then normally a potato dish which was often tasty and 2-3 hot dishes. The hot dishes were sometimes not very nice or were cheaper cuts of meat. BUT we were not paying very much for the all inclusive packages, so really you cannot expect first class food. Dessert was ice-cream (lunch), or cake & fruit (dinner). The man serving hot food was pleasant, but the remainder never spoke or had any dealings with the holiday makers.

Bar
The cocktails were not very nice, the juice watered down, wine and beer wasn’t bad. Sometimes they did run out of things. Christos was abrupt, rude and not very pleasant at all, one guest said he had taken him by the neck behind the bar 2 times because of his attitude! One night there was a Greek musician (who played till 12), apart from that no entertainment. Which on an all inclusive is rather boring.

Staff
I go to Greece because I like the Greek people. But a lot of the staff here were Romanian/Polish. We spoke to some and they appear to work long hours, with little pay. Some do sleep on the sunbeds overnight, I do not know if they have rooms. The owner Barbara (Sybil) did come round our tables and chatted, but if confronted by any problems, I saw her get angry and she often shouted at staff in front of guests. The reception manager also could get aggressive frequently and very easily. Overall I got the opinion that guests were just tolerated because we bring in money but if you had a problem, they got angry quickly. I saw several people complaining over the time. We did not have any problems, but we paid little for the hotel and can put up with small issues as long as the sun shines, pool is nice and the wine flows! :)

Overall
In the main Pefkos is a very nice resort, child friendly, the odd good nightclub, lots of restaurant & bars, nice beach. If you don’t mind issues like I mention and want a cheap place, the hotel is OK. If you want to go away and have the perfect holiday, then this might not be the place for you. But after all, you get what you pay for! Down the road was another pool which we went to for a change and the restaurant Philosophia on the beach cliff is a must for the amazing views and food.

Hi! to Gill and Billy from Julie, Barrie, Sue, Rob, Ruby & Nathan!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 22, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from two weeks statying at the Pefkos garden. The initial choice of hotel was last moment and after having looked at description it said there was an elavator in the hotel which would be necessary due to my husband being in a wheel chair. This was not a case. On arriving at the hotel the "charming" or should I say rude and most unhelpful male receptionist started to curse when I told him my husband was in a wheel chair and that that our travel company had phoned ahead to advise this and we would need a ground floor room. He stated that he never heard about this. But wait we were "lucky" there was a room on the ground floor across from main building. Great I thought. In the room were two wooden beds pushed together. Room did appear clean but extremely basic. The bathroom extremely small with a shower and shower curtain which did not stop the water from cascading over the floor. Extremely dangerous if walking with sticks. he beds had springs pushing through and were extremely uncomfortable. To get to the pool and the bar you had to go down stairs which my husband could not manage. We had to go round the back of the hotel and through the laundry to get to the pool. Food was served in the resteraunt on the first floor to which there was no access for my husband. (we went fully inclusive). I had yet again go to see the "charming" man behhind reception and ask if we could have dinner in the court yard. He said he did not think so as this would set a presidence for other guests. I reminded my husband was in a wheel chair and would other wise starve. He relented and said he would speak to the owner Barbara. She said we could have our meals in our room which meant I would have to bring down all the meals return all the plates. Now for the dog laddie. Barbara's dog. This dog was allowed the full free roam of the hotel 24 hours a day. This dog barked and howled all the time. It also went for my husbands toes in whilst he was in his wheelchair I had enough after the second night and went to find the night manager at 3am. He was no where to be seen and when I managed to find him asleep in the main reception area. He assured me he was not drunk but he was not able to take in basic information. I explained to him ábout the dog and he said "Oh I know he is killing me but he is the owners dog what can I do. I said he could get the owner who stays in the hotel to come and get the dog. He said "oh no I cannot do this as she is asleep it is 3am. LUCKY HER I said if he did not all her I would. He said he would. Eventually she came over and removed the dog. mumbling sorry The following night at about 2am she was outside having a full barny with the receptionist. Although we were fully inclusive the bar did not open until 12 oclock with the drinks being very basic. You could get water from 10am but when I asked for fizzy water I was told not until 11am. Twice during our two week stay they ran out of vodka and white wine for three days each time. The food was cold and tasteless,to the point we ate out 90 percent of the time which added dramatically to the cost of our holiday There was no fresh orange juice just diluted juice from a machine. Fresh fruit consisted of a handful of grapes or a piece of melon (not on the same day). One night I had left towels at the pool and went down at about 10 to get them. I was startled to see that the cleaners were sleeping on the sunbeds for the night.
All in all I would say to anyone looking at this hotel to stay well clear. Please do not confuse this hotel with Pefekos beach which in some cases have been mixed up in the reviews of Pefkos gardens in trip adviser. This looked a lovely hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank gillUddingston
Reviewed August 17, 2012

This is a great family run old style hotel. The staff were mainly friendly and helpful. The hotel is typically Greek and set in lovely gardens full of colourful flowers and plants. The location is great - a few minutes walk from a thriving town with restaurants offering nice 3 course meals for 8 euros, a night club and shops. The lovely sandy beach is about a 5 minute walk away - accessed by about 20 steps.

The accommodation is 3 star and therefore basic though comfortable and clean. We took advise from previous reviews and chose an upgraded room which had a large balcony and views of pool and the sea. The room had plenty of wardrobe space and room for 3 of us. The bathroom even had a shower curtain! It was 40 degrees plus and therefore air conditioning was a must - note its extra and costs 7 euros a night. Sheets and towels were changed regularly - daily for most of the week.

Meals are eaten in the restaurant which is on top of reception block and up several flights of stairs -there is no lift. I only saw one high chair so some parents battled with pushchairs up the stairs. The eating area has a stunning view of the coastline and is also light and airy with a cooling breeze. We choice the all inclusive option and there was a wide choice of food at each meal. Breakfasts options included 3 hot choices and different every day plus cereal, bread, boiled eggs, jams, salad, cheese, yoghurt, tea and coffee. Consider taking your own tea bags however the coffee was fine. Lunch included choice of about 10 salads, bread and 3 hot dishes with hot vegetables. Beer, wine and soft drinks are served at lunch and diner.
Evening meals included a range of salads, a different pasta every day and choice of 4 hot meals. Puddings at lunch and dinner consisted of ice cream, melon and occasional cakes. There was something different to try every day during the week we stayed. If you want bacon and fried eggs each day you will be dissappointed - you are staying in Greece!

The hotel bar is open from 10.00 and serves alcohol for all inclusive from 12.00-12.00. There was a good choice of local spirits, beer and wine. Sandwiches and cakes were available from 11-12 am and 5.00-6.00pm also ice cream. Sad;y there was little atmosphere around the bar - mainly due to Cristophs lack of personality! There was also no entertainment in the hotel and only a few trips were run by English tour operators. The hotel is an hour from the airport and we managed to hire a car for the week in advance, for almost the same price as the airport transfers. Driving is easy and safe on the island and get you to some lovely beaches.

Go with an open mind, accept its Greece, try the different foods and enjoy your stay. It is one of the best locations on the island and very convenient for beach, town, Lindos and getting around the island.

NB If you book on the internet watch out for early flights. Rooms are available from 2.00pm -therefore if you arrive in the early morning your room may not be ready for you and you may have to rest by the pool for a while! The hotel was full when we were there.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the superior rooms. They are on the 1st or second floor, cooler and have large balconies...
5  Thank Barbara H H
Reviewed August 16, 2012

great holiday food ok drinks ok restaurant has great staff and always found something to eat , bar staff can be rude but not enough to spoil things, area is brilliant around the pool/bar area, hotel has 2 dogs living there and they can be noisey and even though one did a Poo in the pool, overall we had agreat holiday, Pefkos is brilliant, we made some great friends and will be back next chance we get - jay, julie & james from sheffield.

Room Tip: ground floor near pool is best so you can simply climb over and keep your stuff nearby
2  Thank jay w
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We just came back from this hotel 2 days ago, by the reviews on here we expected the worse, we arrived at about 3 in the afternoon and got greated by a cheerful man called dimos showed the safe and the aircon, we were then pointed to our room, opend the door it was discuting, beds not made old food left lying around,went back and he kindly said go get a drink we will sort it out, it was sorted and thats that over and done with, the bar was limited ask for a drink he sais no but we have this, other than that lovely man, pool was lovely and clean all the time, food was interesting? Not brilliant but some was lovely,people were lovely there made lots of friends there overall we had a brilliant holiday but i wouldnt reccomend to people who love glamouros hotels but definatly family friendly!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Abi D
Reviewed August 14, 2012

This was a real life Faulty Towers with both Basil and Sybil in attendance. Basil looked after reception and was as rude and unhelpful as the fictional character played by Jon Cleese. He refused to help when asked to point out the nearest ATM. “I could tell you but find it yourself” was his comment. He argued with guests and refused to change euro notes to coins for some young children to play computer games. Sybil pranced around and shouted at staff throughout the two weeks we were there.
The rooms were basic but clean, linen changed daily. However, the shower was abysmal, plastic curtains held up with wire and a shower head that displaced water horizontally.
The 1st floor restaurant was ideal, great views but supported by miserable staff. No reaction or smile to a please or thank you from the two lads who cleared the tables. The only member of staff that showed interest to the guests was the gentleman serving hot food, he was polite and pleasant. The food was good, plenty of choice of salads, always three choices of hot food at lunch and dinner and a choice of cold foods, however drinks became a lottery at meal times, three days no beer available and on other occasions no wine. One disturbing feature was that one of the staff (not the man who served the hot food) daily helped himself to food by hand picking from the hot tray and eating it behind the counter.
Strange rules in the restaurant. At breakfast you could have coffee, butter and juice, all other meals you couldn’t. If you asked for butter for your bread you were reprimanded for asking.
The outside bar was in a good location, close to the pool, however the bar staff were as helpful as a chocolate tea pot; you could only get served when they chose, never mind where you were in the queue.
There were not enough beds around the pool and it became a war of attrition in getting up early to secure a position. The beds were of poor quality, broken with dirty covers. On at least two occasions in the early morning, hotel staff were seen sleeping on pool beds, covered in blankets clearly having slept there all night.
The pool was of a good size, cleaned daily and well maintained, however in one area close to the steps into the pool there was a putrid and sickening smell that lingered throughout the day.
Three playful dogs were always around the hotel and on two occasions I observed one of the dogs urinating in the public area.
The location of this hotel was excellent, a 6 minute downhill stroll to a wonderful beach and clear, shallow, safe sea. A short walk to the town centre with a choice of bars and restaurants with pleasant staff.
It’s a pity this hotel is managed this way. I would recommend Pefkos to everyone, but would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple