“Don't go! Horrible, but good staff”

Palm Bay Hotel Studios
Ranked #11 of 34 Hotels in Pefkos
Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is far from operational. I had low expectations of this hotel but I was surprised it was beyond horrendous! We started our holiday at this hotel. Sold to us by Olympic holidays. Our first room 111 was dark no natural light as it was so close to the mountains, they didnt have enough lighting in the room to make it easy to see around. We the discovered it had a broken fridge it was also not cleaned aa it had old grapea in the bottom. The manager kindly moves us to room 101. This room was brighter however had a broken shower, fridge was flooded and bathroom window didn't lock or even close for security. The pillows and mattress were extremely hard and uncomfortable. That is just a few problems.

We had to stay until the rep would arrive the next day, the next morning I woke up covered in ants! All the walla and floor was to. We asked the clwanee to apray and i dont think she understood as she said okay back tomorrow. I wouldn't recommend this hotel. We paid out to stay in another hotel and it cost us the same price and had everything working.

The staff at this hotel are very helpful but they need to invest in this accommodation before letting it out for use. I will submit some photos from pur 1 day stay here.

2  Thank annaw1987

Reviewed September 7, 2013

Just returned from two weeks at Palm Bay. The hotel is split into two by a road and it seems that the people who stayed on the hill side of the road have a different experience than those on the beach side of the road.

I think that perceptions are based on expectation. I was looking for a quiet holiday, near a beach with access to good food. I booked this last minute and having stayed previously in Greek 2 star accommodation my expectations were low. So I was pleasantly surprised. The room was basic but clean (cleaned every day). A massive plus of Palm Bay is that it is practically on the beach. It is shingle not sand, but that wasn't a problem for us.

I looked at the reviews on Trip Advisor about the cooking facilities. Based on those, I took some camping cooking pots and pans, cutlery, cooking knife, bowls and plates. I didn't need any of it. All of it was supplied. The hob and fridge are adequate for making pasta and rice dishes. If you don't want to cook, Palm Bay does have a restaurant. It is basic but I would recommend the Greek dishes particularly the Souvlaki Pitta..a tasty bargain at €3. The hotel Coralli next door has a rather more upmarket restaurant. We ate there twice and chose from the modern Greek menu. The rose infused lamb and Macedonian pork are yum! Totally recommend it but it isn't cheap.

Having read the reviews we weren't sure whether to get the air conditioning. We spent the first night without it...not a good idea 32 degrees during our stay! We found the air conditioning very good... so maybe it depends which room you are in (we were in room 2)

The bus stop outside makes it easy to get to Rhodes (€5.50), Lindos (€1.60) or Lardos (€1.60). The buses run regularly and are comfortable and air conditioned.

We found the staff (particularly the cleaning lady) helpful and friendly.

Palm Bay isn't perfect...it is a bit tired and does need a restyle. It does have a good location. Being a 10 minute walk from central Pefkos makes it a quiet place away from the hussle and bustle. For us location wins over decor.

Room Tip: The best rooms are the ones which face directly onto the beach rooms 6 - 11
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank TheHighFields
Reviewed September 7, 2013

People writing negative comments obviously haven't visited Greece before. Yes rooms are basic but they have what you need! Warm shower, comfy bed, air con, fridge, hobs, kettle....
Rooms were cleaned each day, bedding and towels changed in week stay. Staff work hard and were helpful!
A beach, supermarket, pool, bus stop and bar in 30 secs of room - you don't need more than that. 10 mins flat walk to lovely little resort of Pefkos too.
My mum and I loved it and would go back and reccommend it to others.
I've read the negative reviews and it disappoints me. I think people forget they are in a different country, what they paid, different cultures and the beauty and amazing weather of the resort!

3  Thank LindsayCarling
Reviewed September 6, 2013

After reading trip adviser I was rather apprehensive on arrival to meet the 'grumpiest owner in the world'. Having confirmed that this was indeed the case we approached our 'apartment' with some trepidation. Rightly so as there was chewing gum on the floor and the fridge looked like a serial killer had been using it. However the cleaner who is excellent sorted it out and Mr Angry changed the fridge! We found being grumpy back worked better than charm. The pool is big but not cleaned so there is a lot of sand at the bottom which was of interest to the children's snorkels. The beech is too gritty and stony to use so people come back, there is no tap to wash feet so the pool gets silted. There are plenty of sun beds, but not many serviceable so watch your posterior doesn't fall through. Food is ok but there is Corralis next door which is super providing youre not lone female. My children got fed up of being stroked, hugged and kissed and the staff were understanding when I asked them to refrain. I heard other women also raising this. Pefkos is 20 min walk along a road with speeding drivers. Your best bet is to follow a large tattooed fella using him (or her) as a human shield as they are more frequent than taxis. Pefkos is lovely. The Palm Bay has good sports TV and the apartment showers are powerful. Just hold your nose, don't touch the mildewed walls or shower curtains and you'll be clean as a whistle. Ants enter the apartment through a myriad of holes so spray moziguard into them and don't leave food around. Youll need aircon but beware its 50 euos per unit per week so if you have a two bed apartment its double. You get what you pay for and the beds are comfy. A solid three stars and nothing to worry the battle hardened traveller.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 1, 2013

We have just returned from our two week stay at the Palm Bay Studio Apartments in Pefkos and I will try and be as constructive as possible! When we booked this place we expected basic and that is certainly what we got! None of the three rooms we had were well maintained, neither were they well cleaned. Our shower room had a hole on the floor where the drain grate was supposed to be, my sons shower room door handle just fell off every time he used it. Most of the people we spoke to who had air conditioning said it was pretty poor!
Let me move on to the staff: a more ignorant, rude and disinterested bunch you would struggle to meet, the worst I have ever experienced!
The location of the apartments is ok and only a short five to ten minute walk up to the restaurants and bars. The road, however, is a busy one and you have to cross it to get to the pool so take extra care!
The pool is ok and there are plenty of sun beds and you also have access to a beach where you can snorkel etc.
As a family, we ensured we enjoyed our time in Rhodes, but the staff at Palm Bay really could do so much more with the place, it has the potential but they really don't care!
Would I return to Rhodes? Probably not! Would I return to Palm Bay? NOT A CHANCE IN HELL!!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Andrew G
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I've been to Palm Bay 4 times and have just booked my 5th visit. Having stayed in several apartments in Pefkos over the years, I can honestly say that Palm Bay is my favourite. No, you can't cook much more than a boiled egg, but do you really want to cook when there are so many good places to eat out? The shower etc is no worse than anywhere else in Greece, and a heck of a lot better than many. So far I've had a different room each time I've stayed, and only one had an ant problem which was easily sorted out with a can of ant killer. The owner, Michalis, and his family are really nice and helpful, and even though the whole place looks a little bit tatty it's a great place to stay if you want to be close to a fabulous beach and slightly away from the main village. The bar area is large and comfortable, ideal for an early/late evening drink, and Pefkos itself cannot be beaten for excellent restaurants, a few good bars and lovely beaches.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank AltheaJH
Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

A bit of a nightmare when we first arrived, our names wasn't down to stay there! But luckily they found us a room, we was disappointed that we didn't get a sea view as requiested just got a wall!
When we first entred the room we was welcomed by cockroaches and ants all over the bed!

There seems to be confusion with the cleaners as our room wasn't touched in over 3 days!! I had to go and speak to the cleaners myself! Which isn't good, the young girl who works in the kitchen / cleaning is the only reason I haven't scored it terrible, she works very hard &
is an asset to Palm Bay, but she can't do it all!
After talking to a few more guest the cleaning routine seemed to be very random.

Pool was nice but a little cramped for me, so we took full advantage of the beach, I recommend you where shoes as it hurts your feet.

Location was great and pefkos it's self was great, overall I would go back but not to Palm Bay, after staying in other basic studios this was one of the worst, & if I have to compare to where I stayed last year we paid far too much to stay at Palm Bay, however everybody as different views and this was mine, felt a little mislead by Thomas Cook!

3  Thank Asbue