“In need of a refurbishment”

Palm Bay Hotel Studios
Ranked #11 of 34 Hotels in Pefkos
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Arrived at Palm Bay at 6.30p.m. on 26th September, hot and tired after a long journey, to be told that we were not expected! The barman asked who we were travelling with and when we told him Cosmos he raised his eyebrows as if this happens a lot. He found us a room (102) which was not very clean, there were ants everywhere, the seal on the fridge was hanging off and rusty water came out of the shower head. The bed linen and towels, however, were spotless. We have stayed in self catering apartments in Greece on many occasions and expected basic so this did not bother us we do not spend long in the room anyway. What we do expect is a clean room well maintained this was neither. The next morning we waited for the Cosmos rep, the meeting was at 11.30a.m. however, he was 20 minutes late and when some other people who were also waiting for him jokingly asked him where he had been he said he had been at another hotel as a guest there had died this was followed by stunned silence to which he then said "ha, that shut you up didn't it" (his idea of a joke) not funny! When we told him the issues with the room and we weren't the only ones he told us to write our concerns down and this would be logged with Cosmos and he would speak with the owner to try and sort out some of the problems, he then spent 10 minutes telling us about the trips we could go on and when he found out that most of us were not interested and would find our own way round i.e. car hire or the local bus he lost interest, I recently read a review where he was pushing the Rhodes Town trip for an extortionate amount of money telling people not to get the local bus as they are erratic and crowded and not air conditioned, this was exactly the same as he told us and it was not true. Later that afternoon we saw the owner reading the list of complaints that the rep had told us to write down (how is that going to be logged with Cosmos). To give the owner his due our room was cleaned and the window that was stuck because of a broken catch was freed, the ants were sprayed and he asked us if it was now o.k. or did we want to change rooms, as we only had a week there and did not want to waste any time we stayed where we were. On the plus side do try the food in the restaurant it really is very good. Pefkos is a 10 minute walk up the road and there are lots of really good restaurants there, we did not have a bad meal. I think the Palm Bay is in need of a major refurbishment particularly the apartments and I do realise that as it is family run this may be very difficult. The pool area was good the pool was always sparkling and very clean and contrary to some reviews although the sunbeds were worn and a little shabby we did not see any broken ones, the week we were there the barman was removing the broken umbrellas. If you want anything above basic do not stay here. Rhodes was lovely and Pefkos is a lovely place to stay, the Palm Bay has a fantastic location right on the beach. Would I go to Pefkos again definately, would I stay at the Palm Bay unfortunately no.

Room Tip: At present I don't think there are any good rooms, may be the ones overlooking the beach are sli...
2  Thank Dylan72

Reviewed September 9, 2012

Just arrived home after two weeks at the Palm Bay Hotel / Studios in Pefkos Rhodes. What can I say ??
We arrived in the early hours of Sunday morning 26th August and were allocated a room quite close to the hotel restaurant and swimming area due to my husband having difficulty with his mobility at present.
Room - as we expected - very basic. Had seperate stand in shower which is an improvement on some I have used in Greece where you are often showering over the toilet bowl and cannot swing a cat. So an improvement on some of my Greece experiences.
Room was small and clean enough but very dated. Drawer fronts were falling off. Electricity tripped if you put two ring cooker and kettle on at same time. No drainer so dishes drained over cooker rings ??? Described as self catering but is a major juggling act to make a simple meal. Fridge was ok but no shelves - important thing was that it kept food and drinks cool and fresh and ant free. I bought insect spray and sprayed around the doors and windows every day to keep insects under control.
Had to ask for a second pillow as ones on bed were well overused and very lumpy. We actually used our blow up sunbed pillows. Resort states they provide toasters but you have to be quick as there are only a few. First come first served.
Our first impressions were not good of the hotel staff as we were tired and hot after our journey and when we were asked if we wanted air conditioning we said yes - so it was duly switched on and the owners son ( or perhaps grandson) insisted we pay for it there and then - almost 100 euros for 14 nights - what was the panic ???? We felt rail roaded and pressurised to buy this and know others felt the same - was aware that one guest was not permitted to buy a weeks worth and wait and see - it was two weeks up front or none. Cannot fault the two girls who cleaned the rooms - yes they could have done a bit better at times but they were working long hours for very little money and were actually in dispute with the owner over him cutting their pay. ( overheard an argument). I certainly would not be very motivated to work at my best for a boss like that !
We were very fortunate that we had a low level room as some of them look like a K2 climb. We had a small patio area too which we used every morning to have breakfast of fresh fruit and yogurt. Cost us about 5 euros for enough for 3 days - restaurant charged us 7 euros each for one serving - it's a no brianer !
We bought food from the little supermarket on site and in fairness his prices (owned by the same person as hotel) were comparable and often cheaper than in Pefkos and Lindos.

The pool was a good size and was kept reasonably clean and topped up during our stay. I discovered when swimming that several of the undewater lights were hanging out of the holes cut for them and in the shallow end of pool there were holes where lights had been removed. Very dangerous for small limbs which could easily been caught. Place was a health and safety nightmare. A couple were nearly struck with an empty oil drum - the big 150 litre type which had been used as a chimmney and was blown off the roof. It was rusted with sharp edges - I dread to think what might have happened if it had hit someone as it rolled off the roof at the childrens end of the pool. I could go on and on .......... sunbeds not just old but torn, dirty and had jaggy metal bits on some - the race in the morning was to get one that was fit for purpose. Sun brollies ripped and falling off metal frame - looked awful and provided no protection.Other guests we met had been there 10 years earlier with their teenage children and said that absolutely nothing had been done to it. It looked tired, dated, poorly maintained.e.g. the same ashtrays were at the pool in the morning uncleaned and had blown in to the pool overnight. Why not tidy round the pool at the end of every day like other hotels do - lazy and disinterested ? We only ate there once so can't comment - didn't hear any bad reports though and the burger I had on my last evening while waiting for the coach was fine.

Some people go back time and time again but I know there are better places out there for similar cost.
I could say so much more but feel I've said enough - will we go back ? - absolutely not .
Will we recommend to others ?- absolutely not.

The holiday was very relaxing because we were able to see past all the negative stuff and we met some brilliant people - Ian and Diane, Jackie and Steve, Malcolm and Susan to name but a few and like all holidays the accomodation is only a small part of it. Our saving grace was that we did a few trips to Lindos by local bus and to Symi by ferry and walked in to Pefkos (10 minute stroll) on alternate evenings to eat - kept us sane !

Not the worst I've stayed in but a close second !

PS - new arrivals last night were complaining about their room - the owner was shouting at them and saying - all my other guests are happy - this is a good place - I wonder what hotel he is staying at - it wasn't ours that's for sure.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank magsmuir
Reviewed September 9, 2012

The location of Palm Bay was really good, just 6-7 mins walk in to the main area of Pefkos. Plakia beach is 4 mins away and absolutaly gorgeous.
The accomadation however was very basic. The rooms and balcony area were a very good size. the self catering facilities were not that good, no work surfice to prepare anything. Bathroom was not that clean either. Paid extra for aircon, which was a bit much as we paid quite a lot of money for this hotel from Thomsons holidays so it no way lived up to expectations.
The pool and bar area are ok though.

Room Tip: The upper rooms have excellent sea views but have a climb and stairs to get to it.
Reviewed September 8, 2012

After reading these reviews I was slightly worried about staying at Palm Bay so I emailed Monarch to ask about any problems. They told me that they had only had two complaints and could not comment on review sites, they did not tell me any detals so I tried to go with an open mind but found that most of the reviews were "spot on" as another person staying in the room next to us said.I
This place was probably ok in the 70s but looks like it has not been touched since, the whole place was grubby, sun beds filthy.
I can't see how people are saying the pool was clean, we never used it as every day from day one as we walked passed there were tissues at the bottom in the same place, this pool was never cleaned!
Although I do not cook on holiday if you are booking a self- catering apartment you should be able to feel that you have the facilities to do so. The kitching area is the worst I've ever seen, old tissue was stuffed down the sides of the unit I assume to stop ants. No cups and such basic equipment.
Bedding and towels were changed half way through the week which I'd standard in Greece but they were so grey you didn't feel that you were getting clean ones.
Everyone we spoke to we're saying "well its ok as long as you don't spend any time in the room" I do agree but that's not really how you want to spend you holiday.
I think that there are some rooms better than others so it's luck of the draw. The room we has was down the side which felt like an old service road, looking straight into the rooms opposite In Coralli, if you get one of these rooms I don't think most people will be happy, so good luck!
Rhodes is a wonderful island, we will be going back but never to Palm Bay.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
2  Thank doug_family
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Have just got back from 2weeks at the Palm Bay Studios.Yes you get what you pay for cheap and cheerful!Rooms very basic, but your not in your room 24/7.However if your not a lover of ants then stay away lots of ants!!Pool area was clean,bar& restaurant very good/good food,excellent view, Excellent location.Glad we had a room over the road in the mountain,one due to the view and having a balcony didn't need air-con.On the hole had a great 2weeks,and would return despite the ants.

Room Tip: Room's across the road,have the best view!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 30, 2012

Reading reviews of this hotel I was a bit worried, but after staying there for 2wks I needn't worry. Hotel is in ideal spot outside Pefkos, 10 min walk to middle of town. room was 50 yds from beach (1-16) Friends stayed in hotels in Pefkos that were airless outside, surrounded by hotels. hotel is a bit tired, some sunbeds ripped, but pool was clean, bedding extra was cleaned every 3 days. If you havn't been to Greece before you might find it very basic. Owner was very hard working & friendly suggest you speak a bit of Greek it'll go a long way. Found Corellies staff next door were over 'friendly' to women so be warned.

Room Tip: 6-13 rooms right on beach
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mark H
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Arrived to two single beds, ant invasion all over the outside of the wall and in the shower, toilet seat hanging on by a string, and broken airconditioning! Beds rarely changed and we didnt get clean towells for 3 days! We asked about this and were told you do not get them daily, YUCK! When our air con broke the manager came to our room to fix it but instead went mad at us and was shouting his head off occusing us of "touching too many buttons!" he is the RUDEST man ive ever met! As for the pool broken light with wires hanging in the water, safe! Most sunbeds were broke and the umbrellas were dangerous! The food was rubbish and the very few staff could barely say a word in english. Yes its in a nice location and has beautiful surroundings but i would recommend to spend an extra £100 and stay nearer to the centre where there is clearly much more beautiful, clean hotels.

• Stayed: August 2012