“You get what you pay for”
Review of Thalia Hotel

Thalia Hotel
Ranked #21 of 34 Hotels in Pefkos
“You get what you pay for”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Just got back from a 1 week stay at the Thalia. I must say I had a great, relaxing, happy holiday. I went thinking we'd get a bog standard room, which is exactly what we got. It served its purpose as a place to sleep and store our stuff, the bathroom was just how i'd expect, a bit small but again served its purpose. The staff were very hard working and always had a smile. The lads at the bar did spend a lot of time on the laptop but still they did their job n they did it well. The food was a bit repetitive but it always tasted nice, was disappointed about the lack of authentic greek food, realy missed my feta. It was what I would call economical. Which makes sense as it was a budget all inclusive. The measures of the spirits was normal of greek measurments, very strong! Pefkos as an area is perfect in my view, all you could need on one road from cafes to restaurants, from pubs to clubs, from sandy to shingle beaches. Can highly recommend pefkos by night for a fun night out, enigma across the road was amazing, everything you could want in a night out, music, pool, kids play area, pool tables, internet acsess and 2 bars with as many drinks as I could imagine. Was quite expensive but just made them last then went across to pefkos by night. This was my 4th visit to pefkos and it was exactly how I remembered, some places had been extended and kids play areas added, which when I first went 10yrs ago realy needed as not much for my daughter to do but now wouldn't think twice of taking a toddler. To sum up was realy sad to leave definitely will be goin back again, would even go back to the Thalia. Realy enjoyed my stay, wud take extra money to eat out a few nights so not to get repetitive. My view, already saving to go back next year. A*

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Polish first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

For the cost it is brilliant, I know some people like to complain over the smallest thing but it is very cheap and good value, you will always find something to eat, the staff are great, if you smile and say hello they will do anything for you. There are some serial complainers out there. I can't understand this, one couple complained they were not allowed to take glasses from the bar to the pool area in case of brwakagage, ten minutes later they snook a glass to the pool area and when it broke immediately complained about the broken glass. You get more than what you pay for and if you are polite and nice like we all should be you will really, really enjoy your time here, this is day 5 of our stay so I will do further updates as and when, please don't be putt off by reviews the hotel is a bit tired yes but you want the Ritz then go and pay the £18,699 it cost per person for 2 weeks, the Thalia cost me my wife and son £987 for 2 weeks all inclusive for all 3 of is well worth it.

3 Thank jay w
Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Sat on our balcony overlooking the resort and sea at this very moment. We felt we should add our slant to some of the negative comments on here, we are both experienced travellers, we were very worried about some of the recent reviews following our booking, we have found the rooms to be of a large size but a tiny bathroom but that's fine for its purpose, its cleaned (mopped) so far everyday. Staff helpful and friendly helping me locate lost handbag phone and holiday money left on transfer coach (silly me) all returned and held for me at reception with updates every time I passed reception. Bar staff always working long hours efficiently with a smile on their faces. Pool area is clean and usable always a sunbed but one or two could do with replacing. Now the restaurant.... My boyfriend is lucky he can eat anything put in front of him but not everyone can! Tonight for eg 3 dishes were all that remained out of the original 5, chocolate cake all gone an hour into meal so only jelly for us! So it's what you've paid for, a cheap cheerful hotel, we are enjoying our stay on this beautiful island in a friendly place! So pay for 5* if you want it and stop your moaning.

3 Thank Pinktravelling
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We arrived with low expectations due to previous reviews. On arrival we were greeted by the night receptionist who was very friendly throughout the holiday. Younger people seem to be allocated to the rooms by the pool bar, the receptionist was very surprised when we weren't, but we were very pleased! The rest of the hotel staff were all young lads who acted a little suspiciously at times, they were more interested in chatting up other young girls there, that took any notice of them, than providing good service.

We went all inclusive for the first time but would never do it again. The food was dire, I imagine prison food tastes better. One of the trolleys of food was filled with strange looking salad and the other was filled with very strange meats & fish. The dining room was small and cramped often no where to sit and full of rude Europeans. We love Greek food so if your expecting traditional Greek food you'll be disappointed. The only positive thing I can say was the bread was always fresh & tasty and the apricot jam at breakfast was nice too. We booked this to save money and ended up eating out every day. The coralli on the main road heading towards lardos was gorgeous our favourite place in pefkos, worth a walk!! All inclusive drinks were all right except you had to purchase your own bottled water and were mostly given in plastic cups, we were treated to a glass on one occasion!

The room was fine normal Greek accomodation. We paid for air con which was well worth it. The bathroom flooded a couple if times and we were looked at like we'd been putting things down it. The cleaners solution was to put chlorine down it? Only when it flooded into next door was it properly looked at which seemed to make it worse. The cleaning standards were terrible, stained bedding & towels, toilet and floors never cleaned.

Pefkos is beautiful though and made up for the poor hotel we've been twice now just book a hotel elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank havingarightTIME

Travelers are raving about these Pefkos hotels

solihull
Reviewed August 23, 2013

OK Like you I had read the previous reviews and thought OK it cannot be that bad , its probably just a little bit outdated ........ HOWEVER ......

For the family in bunker room 2 ( you will know who I mean) and the nice couple who had visited Rhodes many times and thought this was their worst hotel they had stayed in - Here is my review :-

First impressions - Badly needs repainting, broken bits of granite on the stairs going up to our room and tomato/baked bean stains on several stairs that were still there fourteen days later !
Décor very old fashioned and needs a good clean !

Into the room - First Impressions not a bad size, that was the only good point ! curtain was half hanging off the rail so I stood on a chair and re hung it myself- now how long would that of taken - bathroom - very small dirty shower curtain and when you had a shower the water came out that slow and painful it was an effort to get the shampoo out of your hair ! Fridge was dirty and just about cold - aircon was that noisy I thought it was raining during the night. For a family of four we had our towels changed once on the 12th day of the holiday, I asked twice for clean towels and was told that they had none - now how can a hotel in August have no towels.

Dining Room - more like a sauna - terrible food with two lads trying to be waiters who were more interested in their phones and chatting up women than anything else, Food was constantly running out and in the end we just about managed breakfast (which was awful) warm milk for cereals, greasy bits of pretend bacon and not a lot else and we ate out for lunch and dinner (much nicer experience) the dining room was also very very hot and was really uncomfortable to eat in there - the aircon was never on (probably never worked), food very bland.

Pool area - a lot of broken sunbeds just left in certain areas , pool tiles were not very clean and childrens pool was very dirty with a broken edge to it that had to be covered up with a table to stop someone hurting their feet.

The grounds of the hotel were quite pretty but it was so run down and dirty, the so called gardens were just a brown land mess !

Our room was cleaned that badly, that each night I would go on the hunt for a broom and clean it myself and the dirt that was stuck in the broom was disgusting, on one occasion I cleaned the room with a broom and baby wipes and when we came back on the afternoon the so called cleaner had been in in her trainers and left black dirty foot prints everywhere that I had to re clean it - this hotel really needs to employ decent cleaners with proper uniforms, invest in some brooms and mops and give the place a damn good clean, we always used other hotel pools as they were so much nicer, and pefkos really is lovely but this hotel needs to sort its self out !

Day manager and night manager were really nice but still never gave me any towels !

There are better hotels and apartments there in just as good positions - so book wisely ! If the hotel was to invest some of its money into revamping and redocoration and changed the staff and food it would be a good little hotel but in its present state - avoid it !

Room Tip: There are no good rooms all outdated and dirty
1 Thank beverley e
Rochester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We booked late so didn't have much choice of either destination or hotel. First impressions were admittedly poor, and sure enough some of the criticism, particularly of the food, is/was deserved. However, when we complained on our second day the manager dealt with this very quickly and we had no problems with the food served for the remainder of our week. The food is not inspiring and there isn't a great choice, but we ate well and always found something. Things aren't helped by the typically rude guests from other European countries, particularly those from the Eastern European countries, who tend to pile their plates high, not leaving much for those coming in a bit later. My advice, get to the dining room earlier rather than later.

Our room at the rear of the hotel was clean, the bed was comfortable and bed linen and towels were changed regularly. The pool and bar area were okay, plenty of sunbeds were available, and the young lad who serves drinks during the day did a fine job. I wouldn't particularly describe this as a child friendly hotel. While alcohol and soft fizzy drinks are available for AI guests all day, there are no juices for children if they don't like or can't have fizzy drinks and ice cream is available only between 4.30-5.30 along with a laughable excuse for a snack - a piece of cheese and ham between unbuttered stale bread.

However, overall we did enjoy our stay once the food was sorted out. It's not as bad as some reviews are painting it, and, with a bit of thought and a lick of paint, this could be a great little Greek hotel instead of being merely adequate as it currently is. The best thing about the hotel really is it's proximity to Lindos which is the next town along and is easy to get to. Pefkos itself is not great, and is dominated by English bars and restaurants. If that's your thing, great, but don't expect to find much in the way of authentic Greek culture or cuisine in Pefkos itself. You'll have to look a bit further for that, but then you're paying big money.

Now, if they could just do something about the dour Germans and Eastern Europeans...

Room Tip: Rooms to the rear of the hotel with a sea view are definitely quieter.
4 Thank LondonGlens
Enfield
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Do not book this hotel, however good you think the deal is. We returned to Pefkos following a fabulous stay last year at the Pefkos Beach Hotel with Thomson. Money was a bit tighter this year so I searched for deals independently and ended up booking with Sunmaster, who are rubbish. Everything you read about the poor cleanliness, service, rooms, pool, food etc on previous reviews is true, there are no redeeming features of this hotel and it spoiled our holiday. Air con at 49 Euros per week is an absolute rip off, it hardly cooled the room and sounded like a plane taking off! Luckily we spent our time at other hotel pools, beach etc and ate out but this then made the holiday more expensive than last year when I went with Thomson. Don't go there, it's not 'basic Greek' as a couple of reviews have stated, that's an insult to the vast majority of Greek accomodation available elsewhere.

Room Tip: There are no tips that will help you, all rooms awful, but if you have already booked the back is qu...
1 Thank Vicki M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pefkos
Meliton Hotel
#13 of 15 in Kallithea
Olive Garden Hotel
Olive Garden Hotel
#5 of 15 in Lardos

Been to Thalia Hotel? Share your experiences!