“Better than i could ever have imagined”

Finas Hotel Apartments
Ranked #7 of 34 Hotels in Pefkos
Reviewed March 4, 2011

When we first booked and paid for the Finas, it was only 3 weeks before we were due to go, so we got a really good deal it was only 500 quid for both of us self-catering for 14nights. Because of this though, we were actually dreading it a bit, thinking we were going to end up in some rat infested, dirty, smelly half - built hotel! Especially after reading the awful reviews. So when we arrived at the beautifully lit, flower-filled gardens of the Finas Hotel in the middle of the night, we couldn't believe our luck. The staff on arrival were very friendly, despite it being 2 in the morning, greeted by 30 stressed, tired holiday makers. The accomodation was basic, just normal greek apartments, it had a very big bed, as well as a single bed, desk, wardrobe, bedside tables, a kitchenette and a small balcony with a gorgeous view of the sea, gardens and mountains. The Finas seems secluded, from the pool all you can see is gardens and mountains, and hear the beautiful resident peacock! The hotel was run by a small team of staff, who you could tell were all good mates. They were more than just friendly, on your first morning for breakfast, they go out of their way to find out and remember your names, which i found incredibly welcoming. As were the bar staff at night who did exactly the same thing, before giving us our very first drink at the Finas free. Tequila. One of many. Aris, the hotel manager is an absolute nut case. Hilariously funny and very good at his job. and i can't go without mentioning Campbell, the young Scottish barmen. Everyone is Campbell's mate and as far as he's concerned his duty is to make sure everyone has a memorable time. All the staff worked all hours, worked so hard running around after their guests, they really care.
The pool area is good, you always got a sunbed, and the supermarket at the end of the slope was really useful. The hotel had everything you'd expect from a small greek hotel, pool tables, pool, restaurant, breakfast and snack bar, crepe bar, big screen TVs, big bar/seating area, nice reception and toilets. The Hotel had really lively nightlife, you didn't need to go into the town, thats how good it was. Cheap too. They did loads of entertainment nights, BBQ night was really good, Kareoke night was good, you didn't get roped in if you didn't want to, you could just laugh at others. quiz and bingo also featured. The hotel had a really good balance of families, young couples, mature couples, older couples, groups of friends etc The hotel at night has an atmosphere you can't describe, busy enough to have a wild night with Campbell but still quiet enough to enjoy it with just your companion. Pefkos itself is small, absolutely RAMMED with restaurants and gorgeous bars. Chinese, indian, italian, seafood taverns and obviously some gorgeous greek ones. it is little and we had done literally everything you could in 2 weeks. 1 week would be enough. I would recommend going on a day trip to Lindos, its beautiful, and only a fiver in a taxi. My holiday at the Finas was without a doubt the best holiday i have ever had and i would recommend anybody to go who isn't bothered about basic accomodation, after all, its only somewhere to rest your head. Get down the bar at the Finas, they will make your holiday.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank mary_wilko

Reviewed November 9, 2010

We stayed at the Finas for two weeks in July this year. It was our third time in Pefkos and our second in the Finas. We would still recommend Pefkos but definitely not the Finas. When we stayed in the same hotel in 2007, it was a friendly hotel, staffed by Greeks, which offered a good base for a family holiday. By 2010, it seemed to be staffed mostly by British ex-pats and to be trying to be part of notorious Faliraki rather than Pefkos.
We had asked for and been promised a quiet room to keep away from the bar area, but were horrified to find we had been given a room above and overlooking the bar and pool! The noise from the bar late at night and into the small hours (against the law) was appalling, despite the presence of many families with young children in the hotel. The management agreed to move us, but we had the clear impression that we were not popular.
The hotel itself is well located and well laid out, but it is badly run. The food in the pool bar was quite good in 2007, but was very poor in 2010 and it was not possible to pay by card. Quite a few of the sun beds were broken. A couple of guests cut themselves seriously on broken glass in the bar area, one of them cutting his foot in the pool itself.
We would never consider staying at the Finas again or encouraging anyone else to do so. However, we are much more positive about Pefkos. Ignore the people who say it is “Blackpool with sun”. It is if you stick in the middle of the resort, where there are a couple of ranks of tacky shops, bars and restaurants, but there is plenty more to Pefkos than that. The main beach is great for swimming, but very busy in high season. There is a lovely and quieter cove called Kavos Beach at the north east end of the bay, with an excellent taverna just above. The food there is excellent, as is the service, and you eat in the well kept garden with a fine view across the bay.
Our favourite taverna was the Anixis, very close to the Finas but not affected by the hotel’s loud music. This restaurant is run by the Trimmis family, who are great hosts and produce excellent food at prices that would be hard to beat. They are brilliant with children and create an atmosphere in which people of all ages seem equally comfortable. The Trimmis family also run the supermarket across the road and have a few holiday apartments next to it.
Another excellent taverna is the Dama Dama, on the road leading to the main beach from the resort centre. This, too, is family run with superb food and they can’t do enough for you.
Lindos is only a short drive away (walk it in the summer heat if you dare, but take water with you) or you can purchase a one way or return trip on the glass bottomed boat. There are some pretty bays to the south and you can take trips further afield to Rhodes Town and Prasonisi (both fascinating but for very different reasons).
In short, go to Pefkos but avoid the Finas.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank MSandB
Reviewed October 17, 2010

Like other reviewers on the site, my partner and I weren't too bothered about the facilities at Finas as long as the apartment was clean and not too far from the beach. What we were not prepared for was the truly ignorant behaviour of the hotel "managers" who I am unable to name as aside from scowling and a few poorly chosen sentences (all of them intolerably rude) we weren't introduced. Hoteliers this couple certainly are not.
Similar to other reviews we were concerned that one of our passports were taken on arrival and not offered back until we checked out. Seemed odd but much worse was to come.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a moaner usually, I get along with most people and rarely do I feel the hatred which I felt towards the vile woman who "ran" Finas. There was little point speaking to the Olympic rep about this as she seemed to be very pally with them and I only saw her once. She was no use at all and we're still waiting for some kind of feedback form from Olympic where we could air our views. Irrespective I'll be taking it up with Olympic directly.
We weren't blessed with stunning weather so early morning starts were not on the agenda. However being woken at 8:30 by screaming children bombing in the pool nearly tipped me over the edge (shouldn't they be in school? We had booked in October for that very reason) I wandered down to the pool to try and have a quiet word with the mum or dad of the kids to ask them if they could refrain from screaming until 9am. I was shocked to discover the woman in charge was in fact the hotel "manager" who after looking me up and down several times suggested as I've not seen kids this week maybe this was the source of my upset. No actually, I'm on holiday, it's been raining for 3 days and I'd just like to catch up on my sleep. The screaming continued. Clearly the opinion of paying guests means literally nothing.
The atrocious music at night beggared belief. Think very bad rave music from 10 years ago played so loudly that the windows shook. We wandered into the bar to find out what the score was to discover the managers having their own little party with the aforementioned kids running around screaming behind the bar. Yes that's right, behind the bar. There was nobody else there except a couple who looked to drunk to go anywhere. We stood in reception (manned 24 hours, I think not) until the surly no named woman came over. When we asked if there was a curfew for music or a time at which the music would be turned down to a more tolerable level she turned on her heel and started walking away then paused, shrugged and told us it would be whenever she felt like it. Charming.
The rooms were okay, not exactly kitted out as a self catering apartment but okay. They weren't up to my standards of cleanliness and one morning I spied the cleaner and went to borrow a bottle of cleaning fluid and cloth to run over some of the surfaces as they bothered me. Now I realised why it was grubby, she was cleaning with diluted washing up liquid and a dirty cloth. Under the bed hadn't been cleaned all season, nor had the mirror in the bathroom or the tiles and there were some very ominous stains on the mattress. I probably wouldn't have noticed this but as the sheets didn't fit I couldn't help but notice. There was dog faeces on the walkways and a very interesting "water feature" which was actually stinking stagnant water with some very dangerous and ominous plugs sticking out of it. It was a very scary sight.
Upon checking out we were given our passports back and told that although we weren't leaving till nearly midnight and the place was half empty we'd have to pay another 40 euros to have a shower in our room before we left. The alternative? A shower by the pool. I don't think so. There was no secure room to leave our bags but were assured they'd be okay in reception as it's always manned. Actually no it's not. My partner and I went separately into reception and into our bags and were approached by nobody at all. We could have been anyone helping ourselves. I didn't want to take my handbag to the beach but there was no chance of me leaving it there. Crazy.
Pefkos is very British and not really my thing but it is still a stunning spot and a few restaurants shone. Namely Dama Dama which was fantastically run with authentic Greek food, a wonderful atmosphere and food I will try to replicate at home. Also the Philosophia offered possibly the best view in Pefkos.
Overall I'd say Pefkos is worth a visit when it's quiet, it's too Britain by the sea and I hate to imagine what it's like in high season. Definitely definitely don't bother with Finas though. We hated it. It could be a fantastic hotel but with managers like that it's not worth even considering.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Franny081
Reviewed October 2, 2010

I holiday in Greece twice per year and have done so for over 20 years so I know what accomodation standards are usually like. I booked this accomodation based on the photograph of the pool usedc on the Olympic Website. I only checked Trip Advisor after I'd paid in full - huge mistake! Based on the largely negative reviews I came up with a contigency plan...A) get Olympic to request a quiet room and B) have cash reserve in case we needed to move to different accomodation.

So to the holiday - on arrival at 2.45am we were dropped at the side of the road with no instruction on where to go. Luckily another traveller had been before so we ran to keep up with her. That same traveller had to go and raise a member of staff to come and check us in because it looked like no one was on duty despite the area heaving with homeward bound guests waiting on their transfer coaches.

He took one of our passports as security and said we'd not get it back till we left - I didn't think they coud hold your passport to ransom like that. My usual experience is that it is kept overnight to check with the police - then handed back. He then handed us akey as though expecting us to know where to go. Only reluctantly did he take us to the room.

First impression was that the room was fine if significantly smaller than any I've had before. It reeked of damp though! We just got into our night things and tried to get to sleep. It was very humid in the room as it had no patio windows, just the entry door and small window. I did drop off in the end and promised to pay for aircon next day. The beds were shockingly good for Greece - a proper divan with a good mattress. Oh and the room was good and quiet - a good thing given the perpetual noise at the bar area.

Next morning I took a shower which was hot and surprisingly powerful - BUT - the shower was a health hazard. The shower head with black with mould, bits of which dropped onto you as you showered. And the curtain was literally caked in mould to about thigh height. First trip of the holiday then was to the supermarket next door which is owned by the hotel!! Bought 2 bottles of strong bleach and set about taking the shower apart to give it a good clean. We discovered that the extractor fan didn't work hence the dampness and the fungal growth. All the apartments on our level were similarly mouldy...

I paid for the aircon - con is right. 45 euros per week or 10 euros per night! My expectation was 7 per night. We keept the aircon running on dry which magically along with the strong belach eradicated the dampness.

The kitchen area was laughably small. We used the dressing table to house the kettle and use as a prep area, our neighbours used the outdoors table and bedside cabinet for the dame pusposes. Wierdly real money has been spent on this place. The kitchen unit is Zanussi and works well, if short of space - for instance there is no where to drip dry your plates after use. The problem is the lack of utensils. There was a massive soup ladle but no spoon, only one can opener between the lower apartments and no bread board. This lack of basic equipment probably accounts for the fact that our pans were still brand new despite it being the end of the season.

The pool is a good size and great for swimming laps if you early or late. As other reviews state there is too much furniture aroudn the bar area - you struggle to pass between seats. The area around the pools never looked like it had been cleaned.

I found the predominantly British staff disinterested or plain rude.

On balance I think the Finas could be much better than it is now. It needs better management / staff, more attention to detail and more investment in cleaning.

Oh = and Pefkos is not Greek. Iit's Blackpool with sunshine and no tower

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank greccophile
Reviewed September 27, 2010

Arrived at Finas Hotel Pefkos after reading some dubious reports on internet but thought if its clean no problem.....After walking through the door to the room was shocked to see literally a path way around the bed with little other room so it was very small...stepped out the back doors and was welcomed by a stunning sea view which was not advertised so was happy, going back into the room discovered the bed full of ants, on further investigation found they were coming up from the back of bed from a floor that obviously hadnt been cleaned for months the towels on the bed were threadbare and covered with lipstick and other yellow stains which continued throughout the holiday, the sheets were of the same condition aswell...the shower curtain was covered in mildew and the toilet brush......well the less said about that the better. On discovering these problems i went to reception to speak to our OLYMPIC travel rep Kelly-marie to be told sorry nothing to do with me go to reception to sort it yourself i have no duristiction on hotel or cleaners!!! surely her job is to look after her guests.The room was never cleaned properly thereafter, i did it myself...Also another word of warning to anyone booking this accomadation, despite a 12 o clock cut off for loud music ( Greek Law) Finas hotel played very loud music till 2 and 3 0 clock every morning even if no one was in the bar. On arrival my passport was taken from me and the management refused to give it me back until i checked out, they even argued that i couldnt have it for a trip to turkey!!!! The only nice thing about this hotel was the lovely gardens which had obviously cost a lot of money to do, pity they didnt spend the money on the accomadation first.....BE WARNED.....

3  Thank stephenpepperday
Reviewed September 20, 2010

We booked a week away as a last minute deal and were very suprised considering the reviews. We were delayed and arrived early morning. The man on reception was very pleasant and showed us our room.
We had a large family room with 2 balcony`s and lovely views. The room was clean and basic. Great shower. We didn`t cook but the fridge was adequate.
It was very hilly with lots of steps . We loved seeing the peacock and the little cats that didn`t bother you.
Don`t know what all the fuss is about the sunbeds, we always managed to get one and we were`nt early risers, there were loads on all different levels.
Thepool was ok. the bar was lively at night, karaoke was the best night, the bar staff were great.
You get what you pay for. A great base to explore Pefkos and you can have a good time if you want to.

Reviewed September 16, 2010

We recently went to the finas appartments and we were pleased and happy with what we saw. After regularly reading previous reviews I was nervous about staying there but there is nothing to worry about. The rooms are basic and we don't cook when we are away but the room/bathroom was clean and adequate, they were cleaned and new towels/bedding was regularly provided. The pool area was clean and provided enough loungers for everyone, the staff were a credit to the owners as they were very helpful and cheery and willing to give any assistance or advice needed. We probably won't go back to Pefkos not because we didn't enjoy our stay but simply because we feel that we have seen/experienced everything we wanted to but I would recommend the Finas - we had a relaxing, carefree holiday which we really enjoyed