“No Nasty Surprises”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Deshaies
London, United Kingdom
“No Nasty Surprises”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I am currently in the privileged position of working in Guadeloupe for the next 5 months. And for the first part of my stay, my company has booked me into this hotel. As I am frequently staying for long periods in different parts of the world, I experience many varied hotels. This one while not in any sense 'luxury' is perfectly adequate. It is certainly not what I would personally choose as a holidaymaker but I can see it's attraction for anyone looking for an all-inclusive sun and sand holiday particularly if one has children. It is worth noting though that the hour drive from the airport to here might put some people off. One is quite isolated, it is a 10 minute drive to the nearest town Deshaies and a 50 minute drive to Point a Pitre, so if you want to explore the island you really must hire a car. The beach seems lively but not crowded, there are the standard beachy activities to do. I think that sometimes the surf can be just a little challenging for swimmers so take the swimming conditions advise. The rooms are large, clean and bright and from my balcony in my standard 2nd floor room, I can almost taste the salt of the sea spray on my lips it is so close.
The breakfast buffet is pretty standard but good quality, abundant and well stocked. The evening meal buffet deal, unlimited food and wine or beer, can lead one's normally ladylike demeanour into sheer unbridled gluttony! Surprisingly for a large hotel buffet, it is kept very well. The food is changed or re-stocked frequently. And is simply good, standard fare. There is no room service here, although a very good pizza is served from the cocktail bar which you can take to your room should you wish to escape the mozzies. Bring mosquito repellant. You will need it!
The reception, restaurant and bar staff seem very sweet, and eager to help but whether they can practically achieve results seems to be a random thing. In my opinion this is a perfectly good, mid-range, all-inclusive beachside basic hotel with no nasty surprises!

Room Tip: Rooms on the North side overlook an almost uninhabited beach. Rooms on the South side may overlook a...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Margie F
TeamFortRoyal, General Manager at Langley Resort Hotel Fort Royal Guadeloupe, responded to this review, May 11, 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback with regards to your current stay in our hotel. As you will be staying with us for a long time with us, please do not hesitate to contact me or any member of my team at the hotel, if we can be of any further assistance. We are happy to also help you in discovering the island on your days off. Our own Activity team of Fort Royal Guadeloupe can offer you a wide range of excursions and activities to make your stay even more enjoyable. I would be happy to meet you during your current stay with us.
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
  • Polish first
Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Not bad hotel but 2 huge problems:
1- Communication, the hotel does not inform the guests. Sometimes you happen to find out and the rest you will never know! Ask about what's included, how and when!!! The staff is poorly organized. They don’t know, what the guests expect from them and they never inform you about anything, if you don’t ask the right question!
2 - Narrow-minded! Small, silly things where the hotel wants to save a few cents, but they just irritate the guests. This could have been a luxury resort, but sometimes it feels more like a school camp. Please, if you want other guests then Swedish charter tourists, you need to improve the service!

Start with the positive:
Nice hotel at a small, secluded, private beach (but other people than hotel guests do have access). The hotel rooms are not bad. The cleaning personnel are doing their job.
You can borrow windsurfing, kayaks, hobby cats at the beach. This is included, if you have half board!
The place is very calm and quiet, and it is far away from everything... You'd better rent a car at the air port! Hotel excursions are expensive and the place can get rather boring.

The restaurant is not bad. The buffet breakfast is always the same. Note, when the hotel feels like starting "low season", there tend to be less items every day at the buffet. This doesn't mean, that the price for the stay is "low season"
Dinner can be very good, even delicious, if there isn't a special group or special event taking place at the hotel. This hotel is used for conferences, club jubilees, exhibitions and meetings. All these "special event guests" seem to be more important than hotel guests. Suddenly the lovely apéro at the sunset terrace is served in the back yard and the cook only has time to do an excellent diner for the special guests. You, as a hotel guest, will get a reconstituted left-over buffet and recognise all the food from the past week!
But during high season and without special events, the dinner is good. You get a drink at the terrace (serve yourself) and a nice buffet. (Watch out with some salads. They might contain sand, tiny stones - not good for your teeth!)

When the Swedish school holidays are over, this hotel switches to low season on service!! The prices are still high season! And it is high season in the Caribbean and in France. Suddenly the evening buffet is served 19:00-21:30 instead of 18:00-22:00. Yes, you can eat within 2 hours, but you might want to enjoy the drink before and the sunset and not fight at the buffet at the same time as all the other guests? Even worse, there is never any information! So when dinner time is changed, you will stand in front of a closed door. And the restaurant personnel is just standing around and waiting like you!

Concerning the personnel at the restaurant, most of them are good, the French people are very good, the Swedish are apprentices/trainees? Some Swedish are alert and trying, others are just standing around. The tables are not cleaned as soon as guests leave, tables are sticky and there is rubbish at the floor. It can take a long time before the plates at the buffet are refilled. By the way, both fruit flies and cockroaches might disturb your appetite.

This could be a lovely hotel at a lovely place, but the personnel must get more alert. Clean the restaurant before the guests arrive, don't give hotel guests leftover food. If people pay high season prices, they must get full service! And don't forget to inform the guests about everything! And don't forget the smile!!!

Room Tip: Hotelzimmer: 2er sind mit Balkon, 3er sind ohne Balkon; Bungalows: klein, aber die Reihe direkt am...
3 Thank signe2010
TeamFortRoyal, General Manager at Langley Resort Hotel Fort Royal Guadeloupe, responded to this review, June 10, 2013
Thank you for your constructive feedback regarding your stay with us! We indeed had during your stay a one off large group staying at the hotel. We apologise for any inconvience this might have caused you. Please be assured that all food is created daily from fresh produce. With reference to the opening hours of the restaurant during low season, we communicated this to all our guests via the guest information panels e.g. located next to the elevators. On behalf of my entire team, I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Langley Resort Fort Royal Guadeloupe.
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Nice Hotel, rooms are tidy and clean. Hotel area is big and lots of sports to do, so no need to get bored. Nice for kids as well. Food was nice, but not very spectacular. Views are breathtaking! Location is good, but not near airport or ferry's, so when you travel from "Point a Pitre" this takes you 30-45 minutes by taxi (65 euro - one way).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
TeamFortRoyal, General Manager at Langley Resort Hotel Fort Royal Guadeloupe, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on our hotel! I am happy to ready that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially our estate and sports facilities. Indeed for kids: young and old, there is plenty to explore. On behalf on the entire team, I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Langley Resort Fort Royal Guadeloupe!
Port of Spain, Trinidad
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I stayed here for a conference and thoroughly enjoyed the experience but had I booked here to stay on my vacation I would have regretted the choice.
This resort isn't for someone looking to explore Guadeloupe. It is far from the action and bustle of. Pointe a Pitre and the two hour commute is tiresome. To do anything more than laying on beach chairs soaking up sun means commuting either by route minibus or driving(American style manual vehicles).
The other worry for me was with very few exceptions(and I mean one or two) nowhere accepts American dollars. Not the hotel, taxi drivers or local banks. You have to go to the Airport in Pointe a Pitre to change currency.
The meals were quite ordinary, with breakfast being the high point for me. They serve a splendid guava juice and by the way if you are like me and don't use either sugar or milk then walk with your own creamer and sugar substitutes, because the hotel does not cater for patrons like us here.
I loved. That my room had beautiful sea views, but the mosquitoes made sitting on my balcony living hell.
There is no room service for meals and you are not allowed to take stuff from the dining room up to your suite.
The room cleaning service is done every three days and neither sheets nor towels are changed until then. I had to ask for a change of towels and alternated sleeping on the beds in the suite.
There are two English language cable television stations CNN and ESPN and no provision for watching movies or dvds.
The staff were however extremely friendly, helpful and understood enough English to communicate with guests who spoke limited French.
Would I return to Guadeloupe? Yes! Would I stay at Langleys Fort Royal probably not, it's not my place for a Guadeloupen vacation.

Room Tip: If you can splurge for the Grand Chamber Balcony Sea view. If not any sea view is acceptable and all...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank OneSaucyTrini
Thank you for your recent stay with us and your constructive feedback! I am happy to read that you in particular mention my team! I regret that you mention that you probably would not stay with us for a holiday on Guadeloupe, as indeed, we are in the most beautiful and natural surroundings of Guadeloupe. Let me try to convince you anyway in a couple of sentences! Langley Resort Fort Royal Guadeloupe offers guests every opportunity to discover the island to the maximum: we have our own dedicated and experienced excursion team with the widest range of excursion that you can imagine on Guadeloupe: from Canyoning to a trip to Reserve Cousteau: from visiting Rhum factory to the Jardin Botanique in Deshaies, which is only a couple of miles from the hotel. From a visit to the islands of Petite Terre, Ilet Caret or Les Saintes. From a diving trip to the Rain Forest. For all these excursions, you do not have to travel hours, as many of them are close by. We offer a very wide range of own watersports facilities like Hobie Cats, Laser, Optimist, Windsurf & paddle boards, kayaks....and so on. We also have a Europcar can rental desk at the hotel if you wish to explore the island on your own. With reference to US Dollars, I agree with you that this currency is not commonly accepted here, as Guadeloupe is part of France. We have the Euro currency. Please take note that in most places, including in many taxis, credit cards are widely accepted. On behalf of the entire team, I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to our hotel on your vacation.
West Sussex
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We're repeat visitors so we had few surprises. I had also stopped by in December just for the evening buffet after we sailed into Deshaies from Montserrat. I was a little disappointed then and wondered if the food which, two years ago had been outstanding, had slipped a little. I needn't have worried. Some nights were better than others but the head chef clearly loves his job and can be found most nights cheerfully slicing and serving pieces off some giant marlin or other huge fish that one of the guests has caught.

If I have any complaints it would be to echo what others have said about the number of mosquitos. The corridors appear to be alive with them so that when the maid does your room and leaves the door open (for security purposes I presume) then they simply move in. They should spray the corridors or supply a can of mozzy spray in the room. We're old hands at this so come prepared with our own spray (better than local stuff) but you can see the new arrivals the next morning with their holiday already ruined - kids with faces totally covered in bites, legs covered in bites. etc. There's no need for it and I don't remember this as a problem last time we stayed.

Secondly - towels. I know the environment is precious and all that but we really do need bigger towels and more towels in the room. I'm more than happy to recycle towels but when a family of four can't have a shower and dry off without all the towels becoming sopping wet it is stretching a point. My wife tells me that the number of towels actually decreased over the week - ie the maid seemed to replenish less and less towels as the week went on.

Otherwise the hotel remains tremendous value as a half-board option which includes free use of Hobie Cats and windsurfers and all the wine you can drink with your evening meal. The evening food borders between good and excellent depending, I suspect, on when their head chef (Alex?) has his two days off. The staff are endlessly helpful and cheerful (and English-speaking) and I've yet to find anywhere else I'd rather stay in Guadeloupe.

Room Tip: Higher rooms will have better views but even on the ground floor we had a sea view so not worth gett...
1 Thank jgm2
Thank you for having chosen again Langley Resort Fort Royal for your stay on Guadeloupe!
I am happy to ready that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and that you liked the staff and food in particular. I will certainely discuss your feedback on the towels. Only at this time of the year, there are indeed quite some mosquitos in the Caribbean. It is widely advised in travel guides to use insect-repellant when staying on any Caribbean island during this time of the year. On behalf of the entire team, I look forward to welcoming you back soon again!
Roseau, Dominica
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Compared to other places in Basse Terre Guadeloupe, we were very disappointed in this hotel. The mosquitoes ate us alive in our room, despite never opening our balcony door (which should have been screened so you didn't need air conditioning on all night). It was a great location, but the room was so disappointing with bad sound proofing (a rug or 2 wouldn't hurt), blood smears from other guests mosquito massacres, no tea/coffee, only 7 channels on the TV, no beach towels when we tried to get some, carparking a long way away, which is fine unless you have toddlers. I would definitely not recommend this place to anyone give its price vs services.

2 Thank Susan C

Travelers are raving about these Deshaies hotels

Montreal
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We just got back from a week long family vacation, and the hotel exceeded our expectations. It is definitely almost a 4-star hotel. The facilities are new, the location is amazing.. nestled in between lush hills/low mountains and the ocean. Truly spectacular views.

We were a family of 5 (kids 6, 4, 2) and it was a good resort for children. Many kids around so you didn't feel awkward chasing after your 2 year old! Food was quite good relative to other Caribbean resorts I have been to. Clientele is mostly French and Swedish. Not a lot of rowdiness... more of a quiet and peaceful crowd.

I had some feedback and questions to give about the hotel, and Léon (GM) promptly met with me and gave me his full attention. Kudos to him for being customer-centric and listening (and even taking notes!) to my concerns.

Feedback for the hotel (to really take it to the "next level"):
- maintenance on the facilities seems lacking... exterior wood floor boards need staining (discoloration and warping), nails popping out of wood floor boards (dangerous for bare feet!)... cobwebs in some of the restaurant ceilings...
- Kids Club overhaul!-- the facilities are there to really have an interesting kids club program... but with only 2.5 hrs in the morning and 2.5 hrs in the afternoon (during nap time!) it is lacking in this area... my kids were typically almost alone in the club (just a couple other kids), which makes for not very exciting play time. This is a selling feature of a hotel for families with children.. and I felt very underwhelmed by the kids club experience. Typically, at other hotels and cruises, the hours of kids club are much longer throughout the day (even meals are served there) to accommodate for varying family schedules... the 2 night time activities (movie night, crabs) were great! the kids had a great time and we got an hour to ourselves! My recommendations: expand the hours of operation, improve the quality of the kids program (watching movies on a laptop is something we can do at home! doesn't need to be part of the kids program), include meal times, have a night time activity every night...etc. This is an area of opportunity for the resort!! Club Med has stolen too many of your potential clients due to the "kids club" factor... !
- when we left the taxi situation to get to the airport was very confusing... it would seem that reserving taxis to and from the airport should be a standard process, but it was very complicated and I am not sure why..
- improve the cleanliness of bird droppings.... there was always some around the main reception area (on way to to bathrooms)... on steps near beach bar... not enough attention to keeping the place very clean...

A last note was that the hotel was out of shampoo when we arrived. Very bizarre. I asked for 2 days and got different answers (some people even told me that the body gel was for hair too... but this was not the case!) as to why and where the shampoo was. Finally, someone admitted that the order was placed and they were waiting for shampoo. Ordering shampoo in advance so the whole hotel doesn't run out seems like an easy thing to do...

Overall though, a good experience and we would consider taking the family back again next year! Food, location, hotel rooms were quite good... and at a good price relative to other hotels in Guadeloupe!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
TeamFortRoyal, General Manager at Langley Resort Hotel Fort Royal Guadeloupe, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Thank you very much for your constructive feedback on our hotel! I hope you had a safe trip back to Canada, I am happy to read that we, as a team, have exceeded your expectations. I was pleased to meet you and to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I would like to sincerely thank you for your recommendations for improvement. Please be aware that we have already started to replace the flooring in our Kids Club. As I mentioned to you, we will also look at improving our pool area later this year. This is on our annual (preventive) maintenance planning. Your ideas on the Kids Club have been shared and discussed within my activity team. We will certainly consider these. As our restaurant is an open-air restaurant we do our utmost to prevent spider webs appearing in one of our wooden ceilings. Our body gel in our rooms is actually an all-over shower gel. We wil have our private label on the bottle improved with our next order! With reference to the bird droppings close to reception, I would like to explain you that we actually have birds currently nestling in that area, and we felt in order to protect our nature and environment to let the birds breed. Please be aware that we do a daily cleaning of the tiles on a regular basis below the nests but it is hard to keep pace with these birds. If you booked a taxi with our reception team, please do inform why this was confusing, so we can look into this. On behalf of the entire team of Langley resort Fort Royal Guadeloupe, I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel next year.
LANGLEY RESORT FORT ROYAL GUADELOUPE
Also consider these accommodations in or near Deshaies
Le Rayon Vert
Le Jardin Malanga
Le Jardin Malanga
#1 of 3 in Trois Rivieres
Mahogany Hotel Residence and Spa

Been to Langley Resort Hotel Fort Royal Guadeloupe? Share your experiences!