“Great for family vacations and Conferences”

Langley Resort Hotel Fort Royal Guadeloupe
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Deshaies
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I stayed here for a conference and thoroughly enjoyed the experience but had I booked here to stay on my vacation I would have regretted the choice.
This resort isn't for someone looking to explore Guadeloupe. It is far from the action and bustle of. Pointe a Pitre and the two hour commute is tiresome. To do anything more than laying on beach chairs soaking up sun means commuting either by route minibus or driving(American style manual vehicles).
The other worry for me was with very few exceptions(and I mean one or two) nowhere accepts American dollars. Not the hotel, taxi drivers or local banks. You have to go to the Airport in Pointe a Pitre to change currency.
The meals were quite ordinary, with breakfast being the high point for me. They serve a splendid guava juice and by the way if you are like me and don't use either sugar or milk then walk with your own creamer and sugar substitutes, because the hotel does not cater for patrons like us here.
I loved. That my room had beautiful sea views, but the mosquitoes made sitting on my balcony living hell.
There is no room service for meals and you are not allowed to take stuff from the dining room up to your suite.
The room cleaning service is done every three days and neither sheets nor towels are changed until then. I had to ask for a change of towels and alternated sleeping on the beds in the suite.
There are two English language cable television stations CNN and ESPN and no provision for watching movies or dvds.
The staff were however extremely friendly, helpful and understood enough English to communicate with guests who spoke limited French.
Would I return to Guadeloupe? Yes! Would I stay at Langleys Fort Royal probably not, it's not my place for a Guadeloupen vacation.

Room Tip: If you can splurge for the Grand Chamber Balcony Sea view. If not any sea view is acceptable and all...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank OneSaucyTrini
TeamFortRoyal, General Manager at Langley Resort Hotel Fort Royal Guadeloupe, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Thank you for your recent stay with us and your constructive feedback! I am happy to read that you in particular mention my team! I regret that you mention that you probably would not stay with us for a holiday on Guadeloupe, as indeed, we are in the most beautiful and natural surroundings of Guadeloupe. Let me try to convince you anyway in a couple of sentences! Langley Resort Fort Royal Guadeloupe offers guests every opportunity to discover the island to the maximum: we have our own dedicated and experienced excursion team with the widest range of excursion that you can imagine on Guadeloupe: from Canyoning to a trip to Reserve Cousteau: from visiting Rhum factory to the Jardin Botanique in Deshaies, which is only a couple of miles from the hotel. From a visit to the islands of Petite Terre, Ilet Caret or Les Saintes. From a diving trip to the Rain Forest. For all these excursions, you do not have to travel hours, as many of them are close by. We offer a very wide range of own watersports facilities like Hobie Cats, Laser, Optimist, Windsurf & paddle boards, kayaks....and so on. We also have a Europcar can rental desk at the hotel if you wish to explore the island on your own. With reference to US Dollars, I agree with you that this currency is not commonly accepted here, as Guadeloupe is part of France. We have the Euro currency. Please take note that in most places, including in many taxis, credit cards are widely accepted. On behalf of the entire team, I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to our hotel on your vacation.
Best regards

There are newer reviews for Langley Resort Hotel Fort Royal Guadeloupe

Reviewed April 12, 2013

We're repeat visitors so we had few surprises. I had also stopped by in December just for the evening buffet after we sailed into Deshaies from Montserrat. I was a little disappointed then and wondered if the food which, two years ago had been outstanding, had slipped a little. I needn't have worried. Some nights were better than others but the head chef clearly loves his job and can be found most nights cheerfully slicing and serving pieces off some giant marlin or other huge fish that one of the guests has caught.

If I have any complaints it would be to echo what others have said about the number of mosquitos. The corridors appear to be alive with them so that when the maid does your room and leaves the door open (for security purposes I presume) then they simply move in. They should spray the corridors or supply a can of mozzy spray in the room. We're old hands at this so come prepared with our own spray (better than local stuff) but you can see the new arrivals the next morning with their holiday already ruined - kids with faces totally covered in bites, legs covered in bites. etc. There's no need for it and I don't remember this as a problem last time we stayed.

Secondly - towels. I know the environment is precious and all that but we really do need bigger towels and more towels in the room. I'm more than happy to recycle towels but when a family of four can't have a shower and dry off without all the towels becoming sopping wet it is stretching a point. My wife tells me that the number of towels actually decreased over the week - ie the maid seemed to replenish less and less towels as the week went on.

Otherwise the hotel remains tremendous value as a half-board option which includes free use of Hobie Cats and windsurfers and all the wine you can drink with your evening meal. The evening food borders between good and excellent depending, I suspect, on when their head chef (Alex?) has his two days off. The staff are endlessly helpful and cheerful (and English-speaking) and I've yet to find anywhere else I'd rather stay in Guadeloupe.

Room Tip: Higher rooms will have better views but even on the ground floor we had a sea view so not worth gett...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jgm2

Thank you for having chosen again Langley Resort Fort Royal for your stay on Guadeloupe!
I am happy to ready that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and that you liked the staff and food in particular. I will certainely discuss your feedback on the towels. Only at this time of the year, there are indeed quite some mosquitos in the Caribbean. It is widely advised in travel guides to use insect-repellant when staying on any Caribbean island during this time of the year. On behalf of the entire team, I look forward to welcoming you back soon again!
Best regards

Reviewed April 4, 2013

Compared to other places in Basse Terre Guadeloupe, we were very disappointed in this hotel. The mosquitoes ate us alive in our room, despite never opening our balcony door (which should have been screened so you didn't need air conditioning on all night). It was a great location, but the room was so disappointing with bad sound proofing (a rug or 2 wouldn't hurt), blood smears from other guests mosquito massacres, no tea/coffee, only 7 channels on the TV, no beach towels when we tried to get some, carparking a long way away, which is fine unless you have toddlers. I would definitely not recommend this place to anyone give its price vs services.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Susan C
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We just got back from a week long family vacation, and the hotel exceeded our expectations. It is definitely almost a 4-star hotel. The facilities are new, the location is amazing.. nestled in between lush hills/low mountains and the ocean. Truly spectacular views.

We were a family of 5 (kids 6, 4, 2) and it was a good resort for children. Many kids around so you didn't feel awkward chasing after your 2 year old! Food was quite good relative to other Caribbean resorts I have been to. Clientele is mostly French and Swedish. Not a lot of rowdiness... more of a quiet and peaceful crowd.

I had some feedback and questions to give about the hotel, and Léon (GM) promptly met with me and gave me his full attention. Kudos to him for being customer-centric and listening (and even taking notes!) to my concerns.

Feedback for the hotel (to really take it to the "next level"):
- maintenance on the facilities seems lacking... exterior wood floor boards need staining (discoloration and warping), nails popping out of wood floor boards (dangerous for bare feet!)... cobwebs in some of the restaurant ceilings...
- Kids Club overhaul!-- the facilities are there to really have an interesting kids club program... but with only 2.5 hrs in the morning and 2.5 hrs in the afternoon (during nap time!) it is lacking in this area... my kids were typically almost alone in the club (just a couple other kids), which makes for not very exciting play time. This is a selling feature of a hotel for families with children.. and I felt very underwhelmed by the kids club experience. Typically, at other hotels and cruises, the hours of kids club are much longer throughout the day (even meals are served there) to accommodate for varying family schedules... the 2 night time activities (movie night, crabs) were great! the kids had a great time and we got an hour to ourselves! My recommendations: expand the hours of operation, improve the quality of the kids program (watching movies on a laptop is something we can do at home! doesn't need to be part of the kids program), include meal times, have a night time activity every night...etc. This is an area of opportunity for the resort!! Club Med has stolen too many of your potential clients due to the "kids club" factor... !
- when we left the taxi situation to get to the airport was very confusing... it would seem that reserving taxis to and from the airport should be a standard process, but it was very complicated and I am not sure why..
- improve the cleanliness of bird droppings.... there was always some around the main reception area (on way to to bathrooms)... on steps near beach bar... not enough attention to keeping the place very clean...

A last note was that the hotel was out of shampoo when we arrived. Very bizarre. I asked for 2 days and got different answers (some people even told me that the body gel was for hair too... but this was not the case!) as to why and where the shampoo was. Finally, someone admitted that the order was placed and they were waiting for shampoo. Ordering shampoo in advance so the whole hotel doesn't run out seems like an easy thing to do...

Overall though, a good experience and we would consider taking the family back again next year! Food, location, hotel rooms were quite good... and at a good price relative to other hotels in Guadeloupe!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
TeamFortRoyal, General Manager at Langley Resort Hotel Fort Royal Guadeloupe, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Thank you very much for your constructive feedback on our hotel! I hope you had a safe trip back to Canada, I am happy to read that we, as a team, have exceeded your expectations. I was pleased to meet you and to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and I would like to sincerely thank you for your recommendations for improvement. Please be aware that we have already started to replace the flooring in our Kids Club. As I mentioned to you, we will also look at improving our pool area later this year. This is on our annual (preventive) maintenance planning. Your ideas on the Kids Club have been shared and discussed within my activity team. We will certainly consider these. As our restaurant is an open-air restaurant we do our utmost to prevent spider webs appearing in one of our wooden ceilings. Our body gel in our rooms is actually an all-over shower gel. We wil have our private label on the bottle improved with our next order! With reference to the bird droppings close to reception, I would like to explain you that we actually have birds currently nestling in that area, and we felt in order to protect our nature and environment to let the birds breed. Please be aware that we do a daily cleaning of the tiles on a regular basis below the nests but it is hard to keep pace with these birds. If you booked a taxi with our reception team, please do inform why this was confusing, so we can look into this. On behalf of the entire team of Langley resort Fort Royal Guadeloupe, I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel next year.
Kind regards

Reviewed March 8, 2013

This is a 3* hotel and as such is very good value . The location is superb , the staff are pleasant and helpful , the rooms are clean , well appointed and spacious and a fabulously comfortable bed!. The beach is superb - on both sides of the hotel and its well located to see the area but a hire car is necessary. Ideal for families.

Complaints - nothing serious - we didn't like the birds flying round the restaurant and eating food scraps - having sugar in sachets rather than a big bowl would stop the birds feeding from it !!

Room Tip: We stayed in the main building and had a superb view - it seems that some of the beach chalets have...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
TeamFortRoyal, General Manager at Langley Resort Hotel Fort Royal Guadeloupe, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2013

Firstly, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us. I am glad you overall enjoyed your stay with us and that you in particularly liked our location, our team, the clean and spacious room and the comfort of the bed and our nice beaches!

Here at the hotel we aim to do our very best for every guest, and it is our continuous goal to exceed customer expectations. We can only achieve this by listening and reacting to your valuable comments. We share guest comments throughout the hotel, as we believe that constructive critiques are powerful tools that will only help us to learn and improve.

We really do appreciate your support and thank you for your constructive comment.

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Langley Resort Fort Royal Guadeloupe.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Just arrived from what we thought would be a dream come true. It was beautifull, the beaches were fantastic and the food was almost excellent. Although the bungalows looked nice The cleaning and the personell in charge of the reception was below a 3 star hotel. I felt like disturbing The managers when discussing our problems with them. If they change resonsible managers in The reception and restaurant I think there is a possibility of another star up to a 4 star hotel! Today we have decided not to return - but you never know!

Room Tip: If you book through a travel agent ask them to contact The hotel. The maps are incorrect!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank UllaKlara
TeamFortRoyal, General Manager at Langley Resort Hotel Fort Royal Guadeloupe, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Just a short note to thank you for your feedback.

On behalf of the entire team, I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Langley Resort Fort Royal Guadeloupe.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

My wife and I are mixed on this place. Below are my answers to her complaints.

Agreed, it is a little rough around the edges (example would be an empty beer bottle being left out for a day, or cigarette butts on the grounds). That is because most of the people working there are college-aged kids from Europe who are there to party, not to work and support a family. That being said, they all speak English so there is a bit of an upside as our French is terrible and they are professional enough. Plus, we are not paying Ritz Carlton prices.

I know there are some big rocks rolling around under the waves making it difficult to swim in the ocean (we saw a few people limping off the beach), but our son doesn't like swimming in the ocean anyway. And have you noticed he is in the kids club all day allowing us to relax on the beach? By the way, he loved the kids club.

Yes, the breakfast is a buffet and it does tend to stay the same everyday. No worries, we can drive to any of the restaurants near the resort. The room rate was cheap enough that we shouldn't feel tied to eating the free breakfast. I

I wouldn't go there on a honeymoon or a romantic couples vacation. I wouldn't even all inclusive there with the family. But it was perfect for a family of four with a 6 year old and a 3 month old who still like to get a little off the beaten path. Plenty of other babies in strollers so when baby does cry, you do not feel as though you are spoiling anyones vacation. Instead of being surrounded by the typical cruise ship crowd in some all-inclusive in Mexico or a condo in FL, we were the only Americans in a resort full of French and Swedes - which was fun for me and let us practice our French. If you rent a car, there are plenty of fun restaurants in Deshaies so you're not tied down to the resort food, but if you do want to stay in for dinner, the pizza is good and fairly priced.

Beyond that, Guadeloupe is a pretty fun island to explore and is suitable for families with young children. For the money, and for having small children, I would go back to Fort Royal. A warm beach in France without the time, hassle, and cost of transatlantic flights for the family? Thrown in clean rooms, pretty beach, interesting town nearby, and a kids club.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Go4Fan
TeamFortRoyal, General Manager at Langley Resort Hotel Fort Royal Guadeloupe, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2013

Thank you for your constructive feedback.

Receiving both constructive and positive feedback is always a pleasure and I will make sure the hotel staff receives the opportunity to read it.

I am happy that your child enjoyed our Kids Club and that you overall enjoyed your stay with us.
The Caribbean Sea which is situated right on our beach behaves naturally: very often it is ideal for swimmers with hardly a wave or wind and sometimes there is a little more wind and waves which is excellent for wave surfing and other water sports. Indeed we always have the swimming pool that our guests can enjoy daily.

With reference to your feedback on a romantic holiday or honeymooners, I would be happy to show you next time our nice beachfront bungalows which are situated on the other side of our large estate with even a third beach. The feedback on these bungalows we get from couples and honeymooners is actually very good. We can even arrange a private dinner for two on the beach itself, if reserved in advance. We also can organise a wedding on this quiet beautiful 3rd beach at the hotel.

On behalf of the entire team, I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you and your family back to the Langley Resort Fort Royal Guadeloupe.

Hotel Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Deshaies
La Creole Beach Hotel & Spa
Mahogany Hotel Residence and Spa
Le Jardin Malanga
Le Jardin Malanga
#1 of 3 in Trois Rivieres

Been to Langley Resort Hotel Fort Royal Guadeloupe? Share your experiences!