This was the most expensive accommodation that I booked for our trip to Iceland. I wanted a room with a bathroom and this was the best priced that I found at the time for the area. Grundarfjordor isn't really a quaint place - rather drab except for the view. When we arrived at the little red house, I was worried. The two girls infront of us had to pay extra for towels and sheets. I was thinking that for the amount I paid - without breakfast - why should I have to pay for extras? Well, luckily if you get the private room with the private bath - the sheets and towels are included. You can only check in between 3-7pm - after that you have to call a number.
There several buildings - we stayed in a newer building by the water on the bay. The hostel rooms are upstairs. The building is very clean. There is a large kitchen, eating area, lounge. Going to the store - which is a couple of blocks away - is a good idea because there really isn't any place economical in town. The rooms are named in Icelandic after different animals. Our room was small - like most of the places we stayed - but well appointed. We had two beds and a private bathroom with a shower. There was no soap so you need to bring your own. Our room had a great view of the fjord. It was quiet - most of the people staying there seemed to be older couples. Our room was very clean and the beds were comfortable.
- Comfortable beds
- Views to the fjord very nice
- Middle of town
- No soap for shower
- Windows allow light - bring a sleep mask
-On th higher price range for a hostel
- No breakfast, have to make your own
- Location is kind of boring
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline and TripOnline SA so you can book your Grundarfjordur Youth Hostel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grundarfjordur Youth Hostel Iceland/Grundarfjorour