“A very interesting stay”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sheki
Yukari Karavansarai Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Sheki
Alexandria, Virginia
“A very interesting stay”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

This is an old karavansaray. Keep that in mind. It looks really nice on the outside, a beautiful entry area, a quaint restaurant and bar. The rooms are basic and run down, but it fits with the atmosphere of the place. I think it is the most interesting stay in Şeki. It is not a romantic place, but a fun stay. Of course there are nicer places in town, but you can stay in a nice hotel anywhere. Not too often can you stay in a 500 year old karavansaray.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed June 12, 2012

On arrival, I was very impressed. The entry has a high vaulted ceiling, is dimly lit, and looks very much as you would imagine a caravanserai would have looked like. The courtyard is lovely, with very well tended gardens full of roses in full bloom. The garden beyond, where meals are served was wonderful, garden well kept, and peonies and roses in full bloom. Wi fi is available near the reception area, and in the courtyard and balconies. Breakfast was acceptable. My room was very shabby, with old furniture in the little lounge and bedroom. The reading lights in the bedroom were at the foot of the beds, and had to be unplugged as they had no off switch. The bathroom was hideous. The rooms were not serviced during my stay. The basin and shower taps would not fully turn off, so there was constant dripping. Mould enjoyed the conditions. My room had a window more or less at street level, even though I was on the second floor. The locals seemed to scream up and down in cars most of the night, with much shouting, braking, hooting and the like.
However, Sheki is not in a city and the price is not exhorbitant. With a bit of smartening up, this would be a fabulous place to stay. There are 2 new hotels being built, one of which is also a caravanserai, so the competition may induce the owners to smarten the furnishings and fix the bathrooms.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Sheki hotels

Kampala, Uganda
Reviewed May 29, 2012

This place seems to get very mixed love, but I suspect it all comes down to managing expectations. This former karavansarai is in the far north west of Azerbaijan, in the foothills of the mountains separating Azerbaijan and Russia. Sure, it was once on the Silk Road, but now, really, it's off the road to nowhere.
That said, though, Sheki is undergoing massive refurbishments, so expect this little town to be a gorgeous crowd puller in the near future.

The building, the hotel, is gorgeous, well renovated (though they are going to have a hard time competing with the even bigger former karavansarai just down the road, for which refurbishment is now almost finished), I found staff helpful enough, if not overly friendly, and the room I stayed in, a double which I occupied alone, was pretty good value for money.
My room had a sitting area, two single beds and a hot water both in the shower and on tap. I enjoyed the beds so much I had a tough time getting out of bed in the morning. The room was a bit dark, though, as there was only one smallish room in the bedroom. But, then again, that's how karavansarais were designed.
Additionally, in the courtyard, free wifi was reliable.

At the moment, single rooms go for 20 Manat (20 euros), of which there are only two, doubles go for 30 Manat, and rooms that sleep four go for 36 Manat.

Breakfast is not included and I did not try either the restaurant nor the tea house. The restaurant does not serve beer.

Room Tip: If you're traveling alone, book ahead to get one of the singles.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Brixham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 11, 2012

I love this place! Most of the time (in the winter) I was the only guest but always looked after. When I stayed there was no bathrooms / hot water but that summed up life in these parts. We eventually put a shower in ourselves. Sure 5 star hotels are great but the joy of the Azeri backwaters are that they are different. Try to get off the main road and drive about the small vilages of this fantastic country. Roast chicken and kebabs under the hazel nut trees washed down with bottles of vodka will live with me for ever!

I would love to go back with the kids and take them to my old haunts....

Room Tip: the one that I put a shower in, I can't remember the number but top floor on the right as you wa...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Cambridge
Reviewed February 15, 2012

My opinion of this hotel, where I stayed as part of a tour group is very much the same as other reviewers. It is fantastic to stay in an original caravanserai which keeps it's original charm. There is a beautiful inner courtyard, where one can sit and feel the atmosphere and there is a charming tea room with seats on the floor. However, the rooms themselves are really pretty dire. The one I had was dirty though the bathroom was not as filthy as some of the others I saw. By filthy I mean faeces on the walls!!. The room I slept in had a separate sitting room space which led up to the twin room. This could potentially be very nice, but it was dark and dim. The window was an outside one with grills but it looked on to some sort of wall and the result was the room was very dark as the electrics did not work properly. We stayed two nights and the rooms were not cleaned or made up the following day. When I asked the hotel staff about this, and it was difficult to communicate with them they seemed somewhat annoyed by the question. They said that unless one asked the room was not cleaned as they said a lot of guests did not like this being done!! The water came out dark brown from the taps, presumably this was rust. Some of our party were more than a little upset by this. The other thing is that the stairways leading up to the first floor are pretty dire and it is very easy to fall on them which I did!

However, one highlight for me was that in the evening I got chatting to some local tourists who presented me with a battery operated clock (and a bunch of roses!) which has a photo of the hotel courtyard as it's face. This was a very nice gesture and it now sits in my bedroom

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank annemarie10
Toronto
Reviewed October 12, 2011

I really liked this hotel. You stay in an actual caravanserai. The rooms are therefore made of stone, and have real character. The bathroom was adequate, but nothing special. The staff was helpful. The price was excellent.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank NAURU
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 29, 2011

For what is a magnificent building the management spoilt it, such a shame. Our room was damp, dusty, there was faeces still in the toilet the management didn't care. We had no window, the restaurant was terrible and over priced. But such a shame because it could be magnificent. Avoid if possible.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank zoebic
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sheki
Sheki Saray Hotel
QafqaZ Thermal & Spa Hotel
Inci Design Hotel
Inci Design Hotel
#2 of 13 in Sheki

Been to Yukari Karavansarai Hotel? Share your experiences!