Hotel Regina
$62
Hotel de la terrasse(Berck)(Great Value!)
$87
$70
Priceline
Opale Baie(Berck)
Priceline
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Pros -
Swimming pool facilities fantastic

Cons -
Noisy
Poor, bad value breakfast
King sized bed not king sized
Their good ability to speak english disappears when you have a complaint.

In detail:

Starting with the positives, the swimming pool in the hotel was fantastic, the sauna, steam room and Jacuzzi were all nice, clean, and well worth using, even if you do have to pay where some hotels would have let you have them for free.

On the negative side of things, we booked one of the more expensive rooms, the hotel is quite large, and I could see both from the car park and from the list of guests the receptionists had in front of them when we checked in that the hotel wasn't busy.

When we got to our room, we heard a noise coming from outside, like a generator running, it was quite loud, enough to be annoying, we assumed that there were some road works or something happening near by, and that the noise would stop by the time the evening came... Only it didn't, eventually, unable to sleep, I went down stairs to complain. The person behind the desk said that she knew about the noise, the question I had in my head, but didn't ask out loud was "Why on earth did you knowingly put us in a noisy room?"
The receptionist allocated us a room on the opposite side of the corridor to where we were staying, saying that it should be quite, when we move to the new room, it was a little quieter, though you could still hear the noise, luckily, we eventually fell asleep.

Then, the next morning came, we had planned to have a bit of a lie in as breakfast was served until 10am, and I had spent the previous day driving, and had another long drive to do that day, but we were woken at just after 8am by builders banging and drilling, which again made me wonder why the people running the hotel, when it was mostly empty would put guests in rooms where a lot of noise was happening, only, when we were walking along to corridor to go to breakfast, the cleaners were at the other end of the long corridor, so I felt we must have been the only customers staying in the noisy section.

Breakfast was pathetic, certainly not worth 8 Euros each.

The King sized bead was not king sized.

When I checked out, I complained about the amount of noise that we were subjected to, suddenly the very good English that the receptionist had been able to speak dissappeared, and a demand for payment was all that was left.

This hotel was not worth the money, I felt strongly disappointed about the service provided, a previous comment suggested that the owners didn't like the English very much, judging by their decission to put us in a room in the noisiest part of the hotel when the place was empty makes me tend to agree with this.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andy T
Reviewed April 16, 2013

we are staying in this hotel and we have a very strong vibe they dont like english people we were in the bar and all the french people were brought snacks with there drinks but we were not we ask for things they are very short with us ie where can we park they say around the block i say there are no spaces he shrugs his shoulders then laugths with his collague when i leave the room would not stay here for nothing

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tracey s
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Have stayed here 3 times now for short breaks- the reception staff are always very helpful and friendly, the rooms are clean and of a reasonable standard with big beds and good bathrooms.
Very good choice of buffet breakfast.
A great base, quite location and handy for the main street with the choice of restaurants and bars.
Decent value for money overall.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jeff M
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I visited Tripadvisor before I went to this hotel and was mortified to read the reviews. Unfortuntely it was booked and paid for and there was a group of 20 of us who were going and therefore it was difficult to change it.

I appreciate that we were probably lucky to have the room that we did, but it was clean, and the bathroom was really nice. the floor was laminte instead of carpet but other people who stayed there also, had no complaints about the room - apart from one complaint where the wrong room was allocated to them, but the hotel rectified this and all was well.

The swimming pool and leisure suite was lovely and any reference in previous reviews to the smell of chlorine and the unsympathetic nature of this suite in comparison to the remainder of the building are grossly exaggerated - there was no smell of chlorine and the suite was clean and quite lovely.

The breakfast was as good as you make it. It was a standard continental breakfast. We all got a table without problem even though the hotel was full. The sta\ndard of the food was high and the ham was just great - mind that you remember to cook the egg before you break it though and make sure you mark it to stop anyone nicking it!

The staff in the bar and on reception were polite, accomodating and very pleasant and tried to deal with all our enquiries from people who visited France regularly to those who were visiting for the first time.

All in all, I rather wonder whether reading Tripadvisor reviews is the best thing to do Make your own mind up I say.

This is a 100 year old hotel. You cannot have perfection when it is that old. It has a charm about it that reminds me of when I was a child and staying in a hotel in Bournemouth with my parents. I enjoyed my stay and felt prompted to actually say something positive about this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the third floor overlooking the car park
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Melanie253
Reviewed August 31, 2012

This was our final stop on a three-week tour of France and Spain, it was one of the more expensive hotels we stayed in and it was by some distance the worst.

The exterior photo of the hotel is taken from the one angle that makes it look appealing. It has been unsympathetically extended to create a swimming pool/fitness suite that costs a considerable supplement to use and makes the whole place smell of chlorine.

Our room was large, but tatty in both decor and furnishings. It did appear to be clean, indeed the carpet seemed to have been hoovered every day since the war, judging by the amount of pile left on it. The bathroom was better, but didn't have a shower, only a bath with an attachment on the taps that spayed everywhere when you tried to use it - no curtain or screen.

The wi-fi barely worked in the room, and was extremely convoluted to access. We were served the world's smallest glasses of wine in the bar, by a barmaid who last smiled in 1997! The guy on reception was, however, quite helpful.

Breakfast was most unappealling, but for some inexplicable reason extremely popular. It was almost impossible to get a table, and half the buffet choices had run out.

if we had stayed here on the first night of our holiday it would have made what followed seem wonderful, as it was it just left us with a bad taste in the mouth. Although that might have been the breakfast...

Room Tip: Apart from the obvious "try a room in a different hotel" I'd say if you want a shower make sure you ask for one specifically
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple