“Never pay with credit card, ours was COPIED!”

Zanzibar Safari Club
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Uroa
Finland
“Never pay with credit card, ours was COPIED!”
Reviewed July 23, 2009

Stayed in this hotel after our Kilimanjaro hike and safari @ Ngorongoro. Rooms were clean and spacious, and bathroom was also very spacious. Shower worked well as well as the air-condition. Beautiful beach and nice pool. Included in our price was lunch and dinner, and they were ok. However, the lunch time was a nightmare. Tried to eat lunch once at hotel's restaurant, but it was literally impossible. After the staff took our order, it took more than an hour to receive the meal (and they only had one choise of food, so you would assume they have it ready). There were only four other clients there at the same, so it was not crowded. During this one hour waiting time we contacted the manager, who apologized and said that unfortunately they only had the slow employees present at that day. What??? Never try lunch at this hotel. Service overall was very lazy and slow.

The worst thing about this hotel is that OUR CREDIT CARD WAS COPIED at the reception. During the check out they told us that they have to call the bank in order to confirm our credit card. They made a call in front of our eyes, but apparently it was not a bank they called. After the trip the credit card had been used to several purchases in South-Africa worth USD 2000, however, the only place we used it during our trip to Tanzania was at this hotel. Have never even been to South-Africa. We had the credit card in our hands all the time, so they must have copied it. If you stay at this hotel, never ever pay with credit card.

Too bad, the hotel is very nice looking with amazing beach, but because of the problems encountered would never stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2009
4 Thank Kilimanjaro2009

Families
Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Dubai
Reviewed January 19, 2009

I decided to go to Zanzibar for honeymoon, and was cheerfully told by the travel agent I booked my tickets through that the Zanzibar Safari Club was a good place.

It was an absolutely stupid, disgusting, flop for USD 250 a night, excluding lunch. First off, we were the only couple, except for one other person in a cottage on the other end of the resort.

The trouble started when I tried to get myself booked on a big game fishing trip the next morning. It took me 6 phone calls and an eventual snarling match with the receptionist ( with the kind of occupancy they had, an operator was redundant). After one more similar experience, I gave up – everytime I needed to make a phone call out of the hotel, I would walk all they way to the reception, get the lazy guy out of his chair and make him dial the number for me when I wanted it.

I regret booking myself into the fleabag jiont for a full seven days. Four out of the seven, the hotel did not have Fruit Juice. My wife does not drink alcohol- what was she supposed to drink -seawater?

For a four star hotel- this is a real kicker – The supposed four star property does not have Room Service because they “ keep losing track of the dishes they give the guests”.

I didn’t believe this when I went back one afternoon after an early morning trip out - they do not change the linen on a daily basis- why? Don’t ask me, I couldn’t figure that one out either.

Don’t stay at this place. Try the Rasnungwi Beach hotel- it’s about USD 150 per night off season, and it’s a quaint, lovely place to stay in, with lots of little alcoves and places to chill out with indoor games and the like.

If you're looking for lots of sun- that's about the only thing this organisation will provide. Dont get fooled by the romantic photographs on the website. you can get tons of places for cheaper in Zanzibar, and much much more enjoyable.

It’s up to you, of course. You could take advice from two People who’ve been there, and the review above this one too. Or you could spend USD 4000 like I did, tickets and all, and have the worst wretched experience, ever.

• Liked — Maybe the view- but half of africa has the same thing anyway.
  • Disliked — It's difficult to pick out that one- there were so many shortcomings.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Le-Wabbit

Travelers are raving about these Uroa hotels

Dubai
Reviewed January 4, 2009

This place made me think of these cheap full inclusive place in the Domincan Republic, the decor is cheap and old lack of cleaness, food was horrible nothing to match the lovely cuisine of Zanzibar!!! And it is in the middle of nowhere.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)