“Girls weekend away”

and 1 more site!
Kumsheen Rafting Resort
Reviewed August 6, 2013

It was my first time rafting and it was exhilarating. Could feel my heart pounding and feel the white water crashing on me as we traveled thru the rapids. We stayed in one of the canvas cabins and had meals included. Would love to take my husband and kids next time! I would recommend the resort to all! One more thing that I've taken off my bucket list but would love to do it over again and again!

Room Tip: If you need bathrooms for small children or older folks during the night, get a cabin or teepee or R...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I had to do some convincing my wife that renting a teepee at a "resort" wasn't going to be offensively kitschy and uncomfortable, but we were both really glad that I talked her into it. I've heard the phrase "glamping" tossed around lately, and it probably applies here -- getting to stay in a gorgeous, bigger-than-it-looks-from-the-outside canvas teepee with really comfortable bedding while still having a view of the sky effectively scratched our camping itch for a few months, and we got to do it only a hundred metres or so away from hot showers and a hot tub. The facilities lend themselves to a nice range of activities, too: there's a half basketball court, a fire pit, a giant-sized chess set, frisbee golf, etc.

We didn't actually go rafting, so I can't comment on that, but the staff were really friendly and helpful. My primary complaint would have to be dinner -- for the price, I'd have liked something more than steak and pasta dishes (with somewhat slow service and bees), but they're pretty much the only game in town, as nearby Lytton is pretty sleepy. Breakfast is better, and all the wines and coffee are local. I really like what they're doing here and I'm looking forward to going back.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

Thought I'd write a quick review to thank the resort, overall we had a great rafting experience and the resort itself is pretty nice, Dave our guide was awesome as well as all of the staff that worked there. The live music on Saturday was a nice touch as well. The resteraunt was excellent for breakfast but being married to a baker I was dissapointed with the poor qaulity bread they used for toast, Dinner had a beautiful presentation but fell short on quality my tenderloin was undercooked and my patatoes were stone cold.Oddly we didn't leave upset as we still had a very enjoyable dinner with incredible service Emily was very attentive and helpfull. The tent accommodations were really cool a neat experience for us as it was a last minute decision that had to be made to stay in them after our RV broke down. The beds were comfortable, very clean and cozy, but do have to say they would be a really fair and pleasurable experience at under a $100 per night , $144 was little steep considering there was no facilities in the sleeping quarters, now some might think this a bashing review and I want to make it clear as its for from that, my wife and I can't wait to return we just hope some constructive criticism will make this great resort all that much better. Thanks again you guys for making our 1 year anniversary great!!!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I wasn't quite sure how to rate this one! It's kind of a mix of 'glamping'. We stayed in a canvas cabin/yurt July 19-21. The location is nice, the amenities have a mixed review. The yurts are very cute and rustic, with different themes for the cabins. We had a yurt with 4 beds! There are bugs and spiders, but you are in a campground. The washrooms and showers were warm, but made for 'real' campers. They had so many things you could do...volleyball, chess, basketball, horseshoes, beanbag toss and RAFTING! We were up visiting relatives so didn't get to go rafting.

The staff are very nice and courteous. The serving staff were great too. It was quiet, even with live music on the weekend! The big drawback is the TRAINS. If you don't mind the noise it's wonderful.

The only reason I gave it 3 stars is it is in between a campground and a better establishment. For a campground it's good, but no 'private' sites. As for the 'glamping' it was nice. I wouldn't normally give a campsite a high rating but as many reviewers said, it is probably the best place in the area.

I definitely did not think it was worth what we paid, for the price I would have expected breakfast and a maid service. We had towels that were not changed,our beds were not remade, and there was no tidying (like sweeping) done either. For the price that should be included.

Room Tip: Get a yurt rather than a teepee. The yurts have screens which is a must up there!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Jane H
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights with our family (2 adults and a 3YO), some other friends and their children. You don't have to do any of the Kumsheen activities in order to stay here. You can rent a canvas cabin or teepee (which we found overpriced), or you can rent a standard tent camping spot and bring your own tent which is what we did.

It's about a 2.5 hour drive from the lower Mainland, through the gorgeous Fraser Canyon.

The staff here are amazing, from booking a reservation, all the way through. We specifically asked for a spot away from the pool (for safety of the kids) and they graciously booked us a fantastic spot away from the pool and right next to the playground. All correspondence with the staff was great.

The amenities here are first class: pool, hot tub, showers, washrooms, volleyball courts, frisbee golf, life-sized chess board, corn hole, playground, communal fire pits stocked with kindling, wood and roasting sticks, restaurant, I could go on. Everything is immaculately clean and staff are constantly tidying and stocking up.

The location and scenery...wow. I especially loved the interpretive desert plant loop behind our camp site and the informational signs posted everywhere. The area is steeped in history.

The only minor complaints that Kumsheen really has no control over: the trains are LOUD and frequent. I would recommend booking a site away from the canyon if you can. Also, it gets very windy at night. Tie down your tent - trust us on this :)

Bottom line, we had a fantastic time and plan to make Kumsheen an annual family event.

Room Tip: Book a site further away from the canyon (not right on the edge) to cut down on the train noise a bi...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 16, 2012

The river rafting 1/2 day motor trip is by far the best experience and value for your money. The tepee is a unqiue sleeping opportunity so do try it. The down side of this resort is the crowds. We were booked the same time as a school group and they overtook the property... we weren't able to use the firepit at night for bonfires nor the swimming pool and hot tub. The hot tub is key after rafting as you can get quite cold. Limited shower facilities made it challenging as we had to compete with over 60 highschool students. The rafting is what makes this resort. Safety is a priorty and you feel very well looked after. Our guide Steve was superior... the loading and unloading onto the rafts was really improved from our previous trip 6 years ago. Loved the bus pick up at the end which means no more hill climb to the top. Rafting for sure... overnight stay a pass.

Room Tip: For the best value take the 1/2 day motor raft trip. Drive up and drive home same day. It is very no...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank YVRproud
Reviewed September 5, 2012

Rafting: My friend and I had tickets to go river rafting. Great trip down the river and our guide (Willis) kept it interesting.
We made the decision to stay over for the fun of it and chose the Caddy Shack. The most recent email confirmation confirmed that we would be staying in a Teepee. I called back to confirm that indeed we would be in a cabin as per original request. On arrival we were assigned C3 which was Bernie's cabin. While checking out the cabin we met another man with keys to this cabin getting ready to check in to this cabin. Looked like a double booking. Obviously office staff having difficulties keeping up with bookings. I'm sorry that we didn't turn the cabin over to this gentleman as it had clearly not had a thorough cleaning in some time (dust under beds and lots of spider webs)
Food: Reservations were encouraged when I spoke with office staff so I booked supper and breakfast. Bad idea. Don't reserve. There was a mix up in the morning as we were under the impression that breakfast was at 7 am as were other couples who were also up and waiting. We needed to hit the road before 8. Conversation with office staff later stated no refunds for breakfast would be offered even though there was no posted time that it wouldn't be open at 7 am.

Room Tip: Request that the cleaning staff clean the room before you arrive!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple