“Great value for money but a little bit loud!”
Review of Hotel Corona

Hotel Corona
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Tirano
Brisbane, Australia
“Great value for money but a little bit loud!”
Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night, after taking the Bernina Expeess from St Moritz. After reading the reviews I wasn't really sure what to expect...
The hotel was clean, the staff friendly & happy to speak English (the receptionist spoke very good English when we checked in, which always makes for a pleasant experience!).
The room was quite large, there was even a third bed in our room which I wasn't expecting. Although the bathroom was small it performed all the correct functions!
My only complaint would be noise. The hotel is on the Main Street, even though our room did not face the road the road noise was quite loud - we slept with the window open for a while but had to close it, meaning our room then got quite hot.
The soundproofing between the rooms is also not great, we stayed on the first floor & could clearly hear when the person upstairs flushed the toilet or turned the shower on.
For one night this hotel is more than sufficient but because I didn't sleep very well at all I don't think I would like to stay here for many nights in a row.
There seem to be rooms on the other side of the hotel, perhaps these would be quieter? I also noticed that there are renovations planned for 2014 so things can only be improved!
If you need a place for one night that is cheap & cheerful this place is worth a look.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Liz_D27

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Sofia, Bulgaria
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Small hotel with interesting design about pictures on the walls, nice and clean room, very rich and tasteful breakfast but too narrow bathroom. Wonderful location: old town is just around the corner crossing the river, near the train stations, so it’s a perfect to take your amazing journey with Bernina through Swiss Alps. You can find all information you need about this UNESCO heritage in the hotel and they also will give you a discount talon for dinner in restaurant nearby called Bernina, actually it will cover your coperto but the meal is delicious there and don’t miss to try pizzoccheri – Northern Italian dish with rich taste. There is no free parking but you can find it behind the train station FS-Trenord.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank monicfm
Italy
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We chose to stay in Corona for the Bernina Express. Before booking, we were a little bit worried about the quality of the room because of the price paid. But when we arrived at the hotel, to our surprise, the room and the toilet were very spacious and clean. The receptionists were friendly and helpful with the local tourist info., and they spoke English very well. The breakfast buffet was abundant with crossiants, breads, cheese, prosciutto... and various flavours tea bags to choose from! We were happy to have found this hotel and will consider to book again in the future.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank italytmw
Perth, Western Australia
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I stayed here one night so I could go on the Bernina Express. My room wasvlarge enough to put things down without tripping over them, the bathroom was small. The positives are that Reception was pleasant and welcoming, it is close to the train station and the breakfast was fine for me. Keep in mind though I'm not a big breakfast fan. The downsides was the complete lack of soundproofing, the mouldy grout in the bathroom and the interesting choice of colours they decided to paint the hotel Walls with. If I were to go back to Tirano I would probably look elsewhere. There was no wifi or air-conditioning.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Perth62
Athens
Reviewed October 7, 2011

We arrived late, about 23:00. The hotel has only 5 parking spaces and we had to go around the city to find a parking spot. The rooms are terrible, clean but never renovated from the '80s! There is no wifi service at all, free or paid. We had to search for a internet cafe to check our mails.
Staff was polite but no english here!
Breakfast was surprisingly good, that was the only good thing in that hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Tirano hotels

Chicago
Reviewed May 18, 2009

Do not ever think of staying here. It is the worst hotel in the world, with horrible service and horrible attitute of staff. I stayed there for 1 night as I arrived into Tirano using the Bernina Express from St Moritz. I paid close to Euro 80 for a room with Breakfast for 2 persons. The room was dirty and not comfortable at all. The breakfast - Oh my god, the lady was upset to see us at 9:30am and showed us to a corner of the restaurant with a table that was not set up, saying that we could only sit at it. The other tables were all set up being prepared for lunch...Nothing at breakfast, no bread, no juices, and amazingly some cornflakes with no milk. We were finally given some coffee which was horrible and cold. We left in 15 mins and had some food outslde on one of the restaurants close by. My wife and myself will never recommend anyone to stay here and frankly, Tirano does not offer much, we only decided to stay since we took the Bernina Express. However, it would make more sense if you reach in the morning and leave in the evening back to Switzerland of elsewhere. Upon check out, the lady was so rude, I lost my patience. I was not allowed to pay part of my stay in Cash and Credit card. I was told by this rude lady, that I should either pay full in cash or credit card. The check out tims is 10:00am, and I was not given an extra minute. (Although I was allowed to leave my luggage at the reception, while I checked out the city). Only one staff the lady who checked us in was polite and spoke well. This hotel Corona belongs to the same management of Hotel Bernina which is located close by. I presume the Bernina would be bad too. However, I cannot confirm as I did not experience it.
PLEASE DO NOT EVER THINK OF STAYING IN HOTEL CORONA - IT IS JUST HORRIBLE