“Busy but still enjoyable”

Burnham on Sea Holiday Park - Haven
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Busy but still enjoyable”
Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

My family and I went for the Easter weekend, it was busier than usual due to the bank holiday but it was still enjoyable, some good improvements too, swimming pool entrance moved and the pool refurbished, we didn't use it but looked good, meals in the mash and barrel were good and reasonably priced for all budgets. I think more car parking spaces are needed for busier periods of the year around the complex.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Dm1407
Burham H, Guest Relations Manager at Burnham on Sea Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Thank you for your recent review. We do get quite busy duing peak times and I am glad that you enjoyed your holiday with us. We do understand the car parks can be quite busy, especially at Peak times and I have passed your feedback over to our team to look into.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Burnham soon :)

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
Newbury
Reviewed April 22, 2014

We have stayed at many Havens - Weymouth Bay being the main one and I have to say this site is the best we've been too in terms of how clean, things to do etc.

Arriving on site, check in was very easy and the staff were polite and helpful. I had booked a Prestige caravan (I always do) and its always disappointing when it looks nothing like the photos. We stayed in PG2 and unfortunately when arriving and seeing it was completely covered in bird poop was not a great start. Some fresh, some old, to think the park had not long been opened long you would of thought this would have been cleaned off. I did take pictures but I won’t post as its quite grim. Inside was clean, the beds had been made but you could tell in a rush, duvets just thrown on and some bits here and there. We were happy with it though inside, it’s one of the biggest main bedrooms we’ve had, just a shame the outside really let it down.

There’s lots to do, Crazy golf, climbing wall (over 7yrs only), the park, ride on bikes, outside/indoor pool, and lots more activities going on. The pool is fantastic, clean, nice and warm and the slide was great fun all though not very fast – you need to give yourself a big push to start with.
Plenty of deck chairs outside to relax in, and again nice and clean.
Loads of games in the amusements to play, large main bar downstairs, plenty of seating in the main room upstairs. As usual the Fun Stars did a great job at entertaining all the children, my son and nephew were exhausted when we came home from all the dancing!

My only gripe was some of the staff and the wait at the bar. It was so busy in there it was taking sometimes 15 minutes to be served. The staff looked stressed and was annoying when you had been waiting ages and they didn’t keep an eye on who was first so you ended up waiting even longer. Suddenly staff members walked off and didn’t come back, some too busy telling each about how she was poorly and didn’t feel like working. One of the girls who worked in the shop in the clubroom was always yawning, miserable and ‘couldn’t be bothered’ attitude. Were away to have fun – not feel like an inconvenience. It’s the staff which should make a place and disappointing that this was let down by some of them.

We never actually toured around Burnham so can’t comment on the area, we drove to Western Supermare instead and had a fun day out. We also when to The Crown Inn at Catcott (20 min drive) on the Sunday for a fantastic carvery – we really recommend this old pub for a nice roast.

Overall we had a fantastic holiday, (Easter Weekend) and will return next year. We’re off to Devon Cliffs in October – never been before – I am hoping the park will be just as good as this one, but hopefully more staff working and more cheery!

Thanks Haven for a lovely break away again.

1 Thank AmieB
Thank you for your recent Trip Advisor review.

Our team do work hard to prepare the holiday homes for our guests, though I think sometimes we are fighting a losing battle against the seagulls! Please always let us know if it is quite bad and our team will be able to pop down and wash the exterior of the holiday home for you.

I'm sorry if you were missed at the bar meaning you had to wait a bit longer. The team do try hard to keep an eye on the order though when it's busy, I know this can be quite difficult!

I am so glad you had a fantastic stay with us and we are looking forward to welcoming you back to Burnham next year. I hope you have a lovely at Devon Cliffs in October :)

St Helens
Reviewed April 21, 2014

We stayed at the park over the Easter Weekend, we stayed with family as part of a 70th Birthday Party. Firstly the site put us right next door to the other geroup in our party which was lovely of them. We arrived early and were able to access our caravan early which was also brilliant. The caravan was a prestige plus (new to 2014) and it was spotless and had everything we wanted. Even 2 toilets!!!! brilliant service as nothing was too much trouble.... the only gripe we had is with the Haven website and booking activity passes... it is very confusing and when we arrived at the park we were even more confused with the activities. The children loved the variety but the activity leaders were all very good. We can all recommend the Carvery on Sunday! Lovely!
Overall a really lovely weekend to help celebrate a special Birthday.

Room Tip: worth paying the extra for the new caravans!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your review. I am so glad that you and your family were able to be right next door to each other, we will always do our best to meet any requests our guests have and I am so pleased we could meet this one for you.

I understand the booking of activities can be quite confusing, please always give us a call if you need any help and we will do our best to go through the process with you :)

We look forward to welcoming you back to Burnham in the future!

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Overall we very impressed with this holiday park... the caravan we stayed in was superbly appointed & we were very lucky with the weather so could enjoy the decking in the sun. The grounds & buildings are also beautifully maintained.

So, the niggles... we arrived early in the season & got a very definite impression that a lot of the staff were new/ inexperienced. We had to wait for staff to get to grips with the tills when eating in the Mash & Barrel both one night for dinner & for breakfast on our final day. Also in the activity centre, some staff wouldn't book on pedalos because the 'current was too strong' whereas others said they'd never heard of this & it wasn't a problem.

The swimming pool whilst looking very pretty was freezing! My two year old couldn't keep her teeth from chattering so therefore couldn't stay in the water too long. Also the water slide was woefully disappointing as we had to push ourselves along to get any momentum going!

Disappointingly for my 6yr old the climbing activities weren't running... we didn't really get a reason why & she also couldn't go on the bungee due to not enough staff to supervise.

However, overall the pluses far outweighed these niggles. Both children were enthralled with the evening entertainment & enjoyed the park and surroundings.

We would definitely recommend this park to friends and would visit ourselves again.

1 Thank coldwellk
Thank you for your recent Trip Advisor review. I am so glad you and your family enjoyed your stay with us even though you did have a few niggles.

I am sorry the team seemed inexperienced to you. We do train our team thoroughly before we open though a lot of the jobs do require on the job training which the team learn through the beginning months. We will look into adding extra training in for our teams to make sure they are able to help our guests as they should.

Our swimming pool was a bit cold after it first opened. This was due to a faulty heat exchanger which has been replaced. I'm so sorry you could not use the pool for as long as you wanted to.
The climbing wall was awaiting safety checks so we couldn't let our guests use it til these had been carried out.

I am so glad that despite these few niggles you enjoyed your stay and I do hope we will see you again at Burnham soon :)

West Sussex
Reviewed April 20, 2014

We arrived for our 7 night break after a long journey and were amazed at the ease of check- in. Polite friendly staff who went above and beyond to help us throughout the week. The caravan had no electric on arrival or DVD of which both were efficiently rectified within 30 mins of contacting reception. The staff were even willing to print out a discount voucher to a local family attraction (thanks Sarah!). The caravan was new as requested and was well equipped and clean on arrival. The park was well maintained and felt very safe and secure to allow children independence. The entertainment staff were amazing with the children and despite working such long hours were always smiling and attentive. The facilities were good, pool outstanding ( temperature prehaps temperamental) but understandable as newly refurbished. The evening entertainment was good plenty of characters for the children and we really enjoyed the bingo. The beach is so close and sandy. The only downside was the seagulls who daily at 6am favoured our roof for a dance and a sing! Nevertheless this is nature and not really the fault of the park, to end on a positive note my son was made up at winning the raffle including free pizza and mounds of sweets, this a truly unforgettably perfect holiday park, we hope to return and would definitely recommend it to all.

Room Tip: request a new caravan on booking well worth it.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your lovely review of our Park. I am so glad to see that you and your family enjoyed yourselves and Sarah said you're very welcome for the vouchers too! Our pool temperature is now holding stable around the 30 degree mark too :)
We really hope to welcome you back to Burnham soon and hope you and your son enjoyed the free pizza and sweets!!

Reviewed April 19, 2014

My first visit was in April 2013 and I was so impressed that I decided to have another family holiday in April 2014. Grounds maintenance was of a noticeably high standard. The grass was cut and there was no litter in sight. The caravan was clean and the housekeeping was also of a high standard. The only minor niggles was that the roller blind in the bathroom needed replacing due to mildew and the light fitting in the bathroom was unsightly due to rust. The fridge was far too small for a family of 4 and the only way to access it was by squatting or kneeling down which was a nuisance. These negatives did not detract from the stay in the caravan or the overall enjoyment of the holiday park. In fact, the family would like to return for another Easter break in 2015.

There was plenty to keep the family occupied with daily visits to the beach and the night time entertainment with the seaside squad was a winner for the children. The only minor negative is that although the in house shows aimed at adults were good overall, the singing was sometimes out of tune. The highlight for me was the Bruno Mars guest entertainer who was brilliant.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Burham H, Guest Relations Manager at Burnham on Sea Holiday Park - Haven, responded to this review, April 20, 2014
Thank you for your recent review! I am so pleased you and your family loved your stay last year, this year and are looking to come back next year too! Our Grounds Team take a lot of pride in how the park looks and we do our best to keep it all green and fresh for you! Please always let us know before you arrive if you have any special requests, such as a full size fridge/freezer and we will do our best to meet these requests and make your holiday everything you want it to be. We look forward to seeing you next Easter :)

Pippa
Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

This was our second time at burnham on sea. Last year we stayed in a platinum caravan but going in Easter holidays we decided on delux plus. I was very pleased with our caravan in was clean and modern although a couple of feet shorter than my parents van two down from us.
We were looking forward to the new pool as the kids loved it last year. Pool looks good but was very cold could only stay in 15 mins as my son was shivering.
Another activity my children enjoyed last year were the pedal boats. We were disappointed twice as they were short staffed. Luckily got a go on the morning we left thanks to the kind man there that morning.
We ate at mash and barrel 1st night. Food was good, a couple of mistakes were made and waited a while but was quite busy.
Overall we did enjoy our stay but didn't quite live up to last years visit, but would probably go again

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Kimh30
Thank you so much for your recent Trip Advisor review. It is brilliant to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. Please always let us know if you have any concerns while on Park, our team are here to help in anyway we can. The swimming pool was a little bit colder than we normally keep it due to a faulty part. This has now been replaced and the swimming pool is a very warm 31 degrees! I am glad to hear that you will come back to us and I look forward to seeing you at Burnham again soon :)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burnham-On-Sea
The Royal Clarence Hotel
#4 of 14 in Burnham-On-Sea
The Victoria Hotel
The Victoria Hotel
#5 of 13 in Burnham-On-Sea

Been to Burnham on Sea Holiday Park - Haven? Share your experiences!